2019-2020 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every student I've talked to has said it's very collaborative and people share study materials and stuff all the time in the class group chat. Of course there's going to be gunners, but that's going to happen anywhere. It seems like the admin does a lot to encourage collaboration.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when waitlist movement might start occuring? Early May?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Cornell requires BLS certification before school starts? Also are we allowed to get an online cert given the current situation? On top of that, is there an accepted student handbook that we were supposed to receive to know what’s required of us before starting? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the couples housing is like here? How likely we are to be place in couples housing the first year? Are we going to get stuck on a waitlist? How does it all work? Me and my ~legal~ partner would like to continue living together and its definitely a factor my decision. The dean made a point of saying that they were accommodating of couples housing at the little info session before the tour on interview day but there is not a ton of information on that anywhere. The housing office has not responded my emails so once again, Cornell said f*ck your April 15th decision.

Does anyone know if Cornell requires BLS certification before school starts? Also are we allowed to get an online cert given the current situation? On top of that, is there an accepted student handbook that we were supposed to receive to know what’s required of us before starting? Thanks guys
Don’t even know what a BLS certification is lmaoooooo

What else am I supposed to do

Does anyone know what the couples housing is like here? How likely we are to be place in couples housing the first year? Are we going to get stuck on a waitlist? How does it all work? Me and my ~legal~ partner would like to continue living together and its definitely a factor my decision. The dean made a point of saying that they were accommodating of couples housing at the little info session before the tour on interview day but there is not a ton of information on that anywhere. The housing office has not responded my emails so once again, Cornell said f*ck your April 15th decision.
When ever there is a time based issue, especially one that might require exchange of non simple information, I suggest use multiple methods to contact a person, especially using a phone call with email as backup.

Weil is at ground zero and if you read any of the NYT articles today, it is everybit a war zone. Asking to schedule a time to speak will probably yield the best chance.

When ever there is a time based issue, especially one that might require exchange of non simple information, I suggest use multiple methods to contact a person, especially using a phone call with email as backup.

Weil is at ground zero and if you read any of the NYT articles today, it is everybit a war zone. Asking to schedule a time to speak will probably yield the best chance.
Thanks, fortunately, I am an adult and know how to contact administrators via phone and email.

If any current students have information about how housing usually works in this situation I would really appreciate it!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Don’t even know what a BLS certification is lmaoooooo

What else am I supposed to do
BLS = basic life support = CPR for healthcare providers. The Red Cross has extended the validity of BLS and ACLS certs by 3 or 6 months right now and it would be damn near impossible to take a course rn so you probs don't need it before school starts

Reactions: 2 users
BLS = basic life support = CPR for healthcare providers. The Red Cross has extended the validity of BLS and ACLS certs by 3 or 6 months right now and it would be damn near impossible to take a course rn so you probs don't need it before school starts

is This common of medical schools to require before matriculation? I actually never heard of that before

Is there a way to find out what home residency programs are strong at a specific med school? I always hear people say of X school is known for their optho and am curious to know where to find the info. What home programs are Cornell particularly known for?

Thanks, fortunately, I am an adult and know how to contact administrators via phone and email.

If any current students have information about how housing usually works in this situation I would really appreciate it!
Yo that was a little rude. I get that wasn't the answer that you were hoping for, but it might be better to say nothing than to be sarcastic.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on financial aid offers? I tried calling but the phone looks disconnected. April 15th is getting close...

I just called and they said letters will start going out tomorrow, but that it will take the entire month for everyone to get them.

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone comment on the clinical years here? Are the rankings during M3 and M4 released for residency purposes or are they completely internal (for AOA, etc.) only? Does the honors/high pass/pass/fail system breed a competitive or stressful culture?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Damn no aid and they increased tuition this year. The dream is starting to die

Yeahhhh this (nonexistent) aid is a dub. Withdrawn. Good luck to everyone :)

• Wow
Dam no package for me but y’all comments are not making me too hopeful

I received my financial package today and was actually surprised with how generous the grant was. The cost would be comparable to my public state schools. By far more generous than my other package from another top private institution.

Can any current student talk about whether Cornell increases their tuition every year? Also what is the rent in the on campus option years 2-4? Trying to make an accurate coa. Thanks!

The rent for each building is on the housing website

Checking in from the WL,

Is there any discussion from the school about what is going to happen if we cannot start in-person in August because of the situation in NYC

They already called? I still don't get the point of that scholarship, btw. If recipients are low income, wouldn't they get more than tuition anyway? I'm a bit confused.
Yah I thought this was confusing too bc it says it’s for people w demonstrated need. It’s probably a scholarship from before debt free but wanted to keep the name and distribute it anyway? Lol.

or maybe demonstrated need doesn’t necessarily mean you need full tuition, but you get the full tuition anyway through this scholarship

BLS certification is done in the first few weeks of school. No accepted student handbook (to my knowledge), but anything that needs to be done will be communicated to everyone via email. No need to worry. Encourage everyone to fill out the Google form on the accepted students FB page if any questions.

Received an aid package today and can report it is very generous and reasonable if you are from a low-income (low family assets as well) family. People reading this in the future who are low income please apply to Cornell because graduating debt free can be a reality.

For future applicants, I am low income, but moderate assets and I got an OKAY package (will 100% need loans, but I think will be manageable).

Can any current student talk about whether Cornell increases their tuition every year?

Basically every school increases their tuition on a yearly basis. They just don't know what it is yet, so they list the same price for every year. Also COL is always going up, especially in NYC.

Edit: Here are excerpts from one of the medical student loan planning/financing websites I've been reading that takes note of that and shows how you end up in further debt.

"Of course, anyone who’s gone to med school knows that the tuition does not stay the same. The school simply doesn’t know how much they’re going to raise it by, so it lists the same number for each year."

"Since you cannot borrow for all four years at the same cost, assume that they raises tuition at 3% per year. (This is historically lower than most medical schools) Also assume that room, board, and other expenses increase at this same rate.

Pretend you borrow at 7% interest. As I write this, the Stafford loan rate is 6.6% and the Grad PLUS rate is 7.6%, so this estimate is reasonable.

Tuition inflation simply means that in your fourth year of med school, tuition will run $70,866 instead of $62,964. Hence, you would have to borrow an additional $7,903 to cover this difference that they don’t show.

Cost of living inflation means a similar thing.

Accrued interest is the cost of borrowing that accumulates while you’re in med school. While the interest does not compound, each year you’re charged the interest on the current year’s debt and the debt from the years before. That’s why you’ll have almost $30,000 of interest charges in year 4."

Last edited:
They already called? I still don't get the point of that scholarship, btw. If recipients are low income, wouldn't they get more than tuition anyway? I'm a bit confused.
The scholarship is not included in the "need based financial aid". Any need based aid is on top of the scholarship. So if you would have qualified for full cost of attendance anyways then it doesn't make a difference. If you qualified for aid, but not full cost of attendance then the scholarship most likely means you get the full cost attendance now.