-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Weill Cornell
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1039163
I plan to call on Thursday if we haven't heard back and then on Friday, to see if I can snag a precise time.
What was the response today?They've already called today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hungry_african
Full Member
What was the response today?
By March 15th
The exact same one we've heard for the past week lol
YOU!
That's right, YOU! The adcoms are taking forever to make their decision because YOU are such a stellar candidate! Pat yourself on the fcking back, YOU WONDERFUL APPLICANT YOU! That's right, and if you reading this don't pat yourself on the back,
you will never receive a decision.
HA-HA!!! Pat yourself on the back you wonderful applicant you! HA-HA!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!
This is, without a doubt, my FAVORITE interaction on student doctor network dot com. I would print this and frame it if I could. The sheer deranged, nay, utterly UNHINGED energy of the original post. The unbearable jarring nature of its place in this thread. The silent but unsettled discomfort of the reaction image. I want this post to go up for an Oscar. The website is over, everyone can go home now
Wash U also says that everyone will know by the 15th but they have already accepted and waitlisted many applicants. This is an interesting choice by WCMC AdCom.By March 15th
This is, without a doubt, my FAVORITE interaction on student doctor network dot com. I would print this and frame it if I could. The sheer deranged, nay, utterly UNHINGED energy of the original post. The unbearable jarring nature of its place in this thread. The silent but unsettled discomfort of the reaction image. I want this post to go up for an Oscar. The website is over, everyone can go home now
@SleazySalesMed
also thanks @AmaranthMoor , mentioning that gives me a boost of confidence (I, like anyone else, want lots of attention called to my humor) and honestly, just makes me really fcking glad. I'm in a super clutch position right now, so I'm genuinely happy that the (sometimes surreal) humor and the reactions are getting the attention I believe they deserve.
Bucgator24
Full Member
The delay makes me wonder if there is some conflicting opinions on the class members that are extending the committee meetings.
The delay makes me wonder if there is some conflicting opinions on the class members that are extending the committee meetings.
that's actually what I was trying to get to in my out-of-place and very unhinged post earlier. this is also interesting if the last interview really was 2/13, because the last time Weill ended early, they also came to decisions earlier.
The delay makes me wonder if there is some conflicting opinions on the class members that are extending the committee meetings.
After surviving the absolute natural disaster that was Columbia’s decision releases, I have lost all patience for these committees. They’ve been doing this for so long, they should’ve made their decisions by now. They’re toying with the hearts of so many anxious premeds who just want to know what their future’s are going to look like. It’s hard to stay excited about a school when they do you like this. It doesn’t hurt them at all to just give a definitive date for decisions. but let me calm down... 🙁
They usually release decisions between 2-5 PM right?
I got my interview invite at 6 pm est - so 2 more hours (maybe)!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
After surviving the absolute natural disaster that was Columbia’s decision releases, I have lost all patience for these committees. They’ve been doing this for so long, they should’ve made their decisions by now. They’re toying with the hearts of so many anxious premeds who just want to know what their future’s are going to look like. It’s hard to stay excited about a school when they do you like this. It doesn’t hurt them at all to just give a definitive date for decisions. but let me calm down... 🙁
The definitive date is NLT March 15
What was the response today?
Before March 15
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
After surviving the absolute natural disaster that was Columbia’s decision releases, I have lost all patience for these committees. They’ve been doing this for so long, they should’ve made their decisions by now. They’re toying with the hearts of so many anxious premeds who just want to know what their future’s are going to look like. It’s hard to stay excited about a school when they do you like this. It doesn’t hurt them at all to just give a definitive date for decisions. but let me calm down... 🙁
Yeah you already have a date, it's March 15th. If you want to spend time stressing about whether they'll release it earlier or not, that's your own prerogative
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand that, but the only reason March 15 is the day is because the AAMC requires it. That gives people two weeks to narrow down acceptances, plan for second look weekends, inquire about financial aid, etc. I just think that if the school is more than able to release decisions earlier, they should.Yeah you already have a date, it's March 15th. If you want to spend time stressing about whether they'll release it earlier or not, that's your own prerogative
Bucgator24
Full Member
I don’t know if someone at WCMC has veto power ? I’ve interviewed at some schools where the senior adcom can veto the committee. If all members have equal vote at WCMC with no veto power, then it probably leads to some interesting debates.that's actually what I was trying to get to in my out-of-place and very unhinged post earlier. this is also interesting if the last interview really was 2/13, because the last time Weill ended early, they also came to decisions earlier.
Again I’m just speculating, WCMC doesn’t clue me on their process.
PickMeUpImScared
Full Member
Agreed. Plus March 15th is a Sunday!I understand that, but the only reason March 15 is the day is because the AAMC requires it. That gives people two weeks to narrow down acceptances, plan for second look weekends, inquire about financial aid, etc. I just think that if the school is more than able to release decisions earlier, they should.
I feel you. But remember, there was likely a significant increase in applicants this year due to the major grant. And I just called: same response. Said it probably won’t be today because today’s not the 15th. And good luck. So that’s that.I understand that, but the only reason March 15 is the day is because the AAMC requires it. That gives people two weeks to narrow down acceptances, plan for second look weekends, inquire about financial aid, etc. I just think that if the school is more than able to release decisions earlier, they should.
SleazySalesMed
ABC's - Always Be Closing
I understand that, but the only reason March 15 is the day is because the AAMC requires it. That gives people two weeks to narrow down acceptances, plan for second look weekends, inquire about financial aid, etc. I just think that if the school is more than able to release decisions earlier, they should.
Who needs 2 weeks to make a decision? Show me my financial package I could tell you right now if I'm going lol. I'd assume most people have been considering whether they'll potentially go since their interview
I don’t know if someone at WCMC has veto power ? I’ve interviewed at some schools where the senior adcom can veto the committee. If all members have equal vote at WCMC with no veto power, then it probably leads to some interesting debates.
Again I’m just speculating, WCMC doesn’t clue me on their process.
How did you find out about that for the other program?
Bucgator24
Full Member
I asked a few admissions deans directly at interviews, and I know a few people who were on committees as students in the last decade or so. None of these schools were T20s.
btw, US News lists March 9 as the decision date, so it could be Monday
btw, US News lists March 9 as the decision date, so it could be Monday
stressed0-0
Full Member
Does anyone know when second look might be? Or they won't reveal that until next week?
Does anyone know when second look might be? Or they won't reveal that until next week?
They will likely not be holding a second look if they follow suit with all these other medical schools.
SleazySalesMed
ABC's - Always Be Closing
Last cycle it was around the 5th? Just like for interviews, it seems they don't care to let people have a reasonable time span to plan ahead. But there is the very real chance it could get cancelled, so I wouldn't think about it too much
SleazySalesMed
ABC's - Always Be Closing
Oh sorry, let me fix that. Not enough time for some Non-Trads with especially demanding schedules that have commitments scheduled out for 1-2 months in advance*
I apologise, I keep forgetting the age range I'm talking to. Most of my work deals with professionals about twice my age. And I'm a bit older/further along in life compared to most of you
I apologise, I keep forgetting the age range I'm talking to. Most of my work deals with professionals about twice my age. And I'm a bit older/further along in life compared to most of you
I'm in college and am swamped in commitments. As are many of my fellow "traditional" medical school applicants. This could prove to be just as much of a hinderance to us.Oh sorry, let me fix that. Not enough time for some Non-Trads with especially demanding schedules that have commitments scheduled out for 1-2 months in advance*
I apologise, I keep forgetting the age range I'm talking to. Most of my work deals with professionals about twice my age. And I'm a bit older/further along in life compared to most of you
SleazySalesMed
ABC's - Always Be Closing
I'm in college and am swamped in commitments. As are many of my fellow "traditional" medical school applicants. This could prove to be just as much of a hinderance to us.
You seem to be getting defensive. It's fine, I'm sure you're real busy too. My point is not everyone just sits around with a thumb in their ass waiting for schools to deign them "worthy" enough to drop all else and run to them at their convenience. Rescheduling is such a pain with people considering how tight some of their schedules are. But my bills, and livelihood is not their problem
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lmaooooo nobody is getting defensive here. You seem to be particularly on the offensive, though.You seem to be getting defensive. It's fine, I'm sure you're real busy too. My point is not everyone just sits around with a thumb in their ass waiting for schools to deign them "worthy" enough to drop all else and run to them at their convenience
I just wanted to clarify your point that not everyone on sdn is as you describe/implicate....young, free of obligations, thumb in their ass (?) etc.
Edit: And if that wasn't your implication, please forgive me for misunderstanding. As you can imagine, though, right around this time of year is where stresses and emotions in the app cycle reach their peak. I try to sympathize where I can.
D
deleted972488
I think they were trying to throw shade at the school for not giving people enough notice, not trying to throw shade at other applicants!Lmaooooo nobody is getting defensive here. You seem to be particularly on the offensive, though.
I just wanted to clarify your point that not everyone on sdn is as you describe/implicate....young, free of obligations, thumb in their ass (?) etc.
Edit: And if that wasn't your implication, please forgive me for misunderstanding. As you can imagine, though, right around this time of year is where stresses and emotions in the app cycle reach their peak. I try to sympathize where I can.
That would clarify things a lot more 🙂I think they were trying to throw shade at the school for not giving people enough notice, not trying to throw shade at other applicants!
SleazySalesMed
ABC's - Always Be Closing
You seem to be particularly on the offensive, though.
You're absolutely right, I'm always on the offensive. In my line of work, the saying "a closed mouth don't get fed" is very true. (This is a joke, sort of) Again, just trying to stress that people have other responsibilities. The other poster implied a month is enough to get all your eggs in a row, which may not be the case for everyone.
For example, when trying to attend Cornell's interview 2 weeks out, I had to scramble to push out some appointments that were already scheduled then to 2-3 weeks further out because of scheduling issues. The assistant to a private practice's CEO, who I had no form of rapport with prior, even had the nerve to call me unprofessional to my face and complain to my direct supervisor about my lack of commitment. However, I wasn't about to sit there and explain the exact circumstances behind why I think my future is far more important than them. Is that Cornell's problem? Nope!
In any case, I'm not trying to make this a ****-measuring contest on who's life is harder or less flexible. I'm sure whatever your current load is, you feel like it's enough for you to speak up. But also realize that schools probably wouldn't pull this nonsense if the average matriculating student didn't historically have the flexibility to accommodate them and their ego
medschoolthrowaway2020
Full Member
youre really living up to your username rn lolYou're absolutely right, I'm always on the offensive. In my line of work, the saying "a closed mouth don't get fed" is very true. (This is a joke, sort of) Again, just trying to stress that people have other responsibilities. The other poster implied a month is enough to get all your eggs in a row, which may not be the case for everyone.
For example, when trying to attend Cornell's interview 2 weeks out, I had to scramble to push out some appointments that were already scheduled then to 2-3 weeks further out because of scheduling issues. The assistant to a private practice's CEO, who I had no form of rapport with prior, even had the nerve to call me unprofessional to my face and complain to my direct supervisor about my lack of commitment. However, I wasn't about to sit there and explain the exact circumstances behind why I think my future is far more important than them. Is that Cornell's problem? Nope!
In any case, I'm not trying to make this a ****-measuring contest on who's life is harder or less flexible. I'm sure whatever your current load is, you feel like it's enough for you to speak up. But also realize that schools probably wouldn't pull this nonsense if the average matriculating student didn't historically have the flexibility to accommodate them and their ego
But also realize that schools probably wouldn't pull this nonsense if the average matriculating student didn't historically have the flexibility to accommodate them and their ego
I think this is probably the key here. If they had horrible turnouts for a couple of years in a row because of tight scheduling, they would probably make some adjustments. I also have friends who don't work, quit all their ECs, and are taking probably the easiest semester of their life prior to matriculating this summer lol. Which I get because why would you still be killing yourself when you're about to start the medical school grind?
I also have friends who don't work, quit all their ECs, and are taking probably the easiest semester of their life prior to matriculating this summer
I feel personally attacked.
Oh sorry, let me fix that. Not enough time for some Non-Trads with especially demanding schedules that have commitments scheduled out for 1-2 months in advance*
Lmaooo what happened to:
Who needs 2 weeks to make a decision? Show me my financial package I could tell you right now if I'm going lol. I'd assume most people have been considering whether they'll potentially go since their interview
I guess you agree with my point then 🙂
SleazySalesMed
ABC's - Always Be Closing
Lmaooo what happened to:
I guess you agree with my point then 🙂
Oh, so we're doing this. I'll accompany you out of boredom. Today's my day off to catch up on homework, but I'll play 😉
I'll be only commenting on the part of your statement that is accompanied by the time constraint, since that is what my statement references.
I understand that, but the only reason March 15 is the day is because the AAMC requires it. That gives people two weeks to narrow down acceptances, plan for second look weekends, inquire about financial aid, etc.
That gives people two weeks to narrow down acceptances - This was the actual statement I meant to address. Whether I'll go or not to their program is dependent on financial aid. Doesn't take two weeks. I don't agree with your point. Show me my financial package and I would know If I'm attending their school.
Plan for second look weekends - I agree with this, But if you look at my statement below I didn't say I disagree that the time is tight. (Which is my statement you're quoting now.) I said I disagree it would take me two weeks to make my decision and whether I would attend. Here is where I'm guessing you thought I meant attend second look. I meant attend their program, second look won't be useful IMO. But The thing is I Still won't need 2 weeks to tell me if I'd attend their second look either. The answer is most likely no, Unless it overlaps the second look I'm already attending. In which case I could just swap them out 🙂))
inquire about financial aid, etc - My comment is unrelated to this, but if it were I would tell you financial aid didn't roll out until 3+ weeks after decisions were put out. It dropped April 2 iirc, which doesn't give you 2 weeks to inquire about anything, more like a few days. You wouldn't have the time to inquire about it prior to scheduling/booking second look attendance. So I would disagree with you again because your statement is false as it relates to second look. And again, I wouldn't need two weeks to decide if I would attend. But I spent more time on second look since you're quoting my message which references it lol
Who needs 2 weeks to make a decision? Show me my financial package I could tell you right now if I'm going lol. I'd assume most people have been considering whether they'll potentially go since their interview
My statement, which was meant to be interpreted as "I don't need two weeks to make my decision on attending their program or not. My decision is wholely based on their financial aid package. Once I have that, I don't need two weeks. I could make my decision today." I apologise that I didn't make my statement clear. Anything else?
Last edited:
D
deleted972488
inb4 “We expect kindness from all members, especially in the school specific threads.”
I know tensions are high and Cornell is hanging us out to dry but c'mon guys, let's keep it civil.
I want an IRL fight at second look.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medschoolthrowaway2020
Full Member
Casting out these bad vibes with virtual sage, light, and love. I wish many As and healthy, productive working relationships on you and every other SDNer.Can I just say I’m looking forward to meeting none of you
You're absolutely right, I'm always on the offensive. In my line of work, the saying "a closed mouth don't get fed" is very true. (This is a joke, sort of) Again, just trying to stress that people have other responsibilities. The other poster implied a month is enough to get all your eggs in a row, which may not be the case for everyone.
For example, when trying to attend Cornell's interview 2 weeks out, I had to scramble to push out some appointments that were already scheduled then to 2-3 weeks further out because of scheduling issues. The assistant to a private practice's CEO, who I had no form of rapport with prior, even had the nerve to call me unprofessional to my face and complain to my direct supervisor about my lack of commitment. However, I wasn't about to sit there and explain the exact circumstances behind why I think my future is far more important than them. Is that Cornell's problem? Nope!
In any case, I'm not trying to make this a ****-measuring contest on who's life is harder or less flexible. I'm sure whatever your current load is, you feel like it's enough for you to speak up. But also realize that schools probably wouldn't pull this nonsense if the average matriculating student didn't historically have the flexibility to accommodate them and their ego
At SleazySalesMed, can I DM you?
D
deleted996731
@SleazySalesMed is a Cornell admin trying to keep us from talking about how decisions need to be released tmmrw
Hope to god no adcoms read that whole exchange lmao something something professionalism