2020-2021 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@CWRU.Sman Hi! For those of us who haven’t heard anything since submitting a secondary - does that mean we are still under consideration? Are applications still being screened for interviews? Thanks so much!
We are still reviewing applications and plan to wrap things up next week. I'm sorry that it has taken so long. We delayed our entire process by two weeks due to pandemic disruptions (late MCATs, etc.) so we're still feeling the effects of a late start.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Pre-II R just now! Submitted 7/31, CASPER on 8/25. Good luck to everyone still waiting on an II!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh still don't have that pre-II R yet, complete in July. Are they teasing me or do I have an actual chance at an II? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Held onto the hope of getting an II as long as I could, pre-II R today, complete end of August.

• Care
Any other accepted students unable to access the "Accepted Central" page that's linked in the application portal?

Any other accepted students unable to access the "Accepted Central" page that's linked in the application portal?
Nah but I had trouble accessing the financial aid info from there and it turned out that it needed up to 24hrs to “process”, so maybe that’s why? It works now so...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone see that one of the prereqs is "biochemistry, including metabolism"?
What if metabolism was included in a different course I took other than biochemistry, is that okay? My biochemistry course itself didn't cover metabolism.

Did anyone see that one of the prereqs is "biochemistry, including metabolism"?
What if metabolism was included in a different course I took other than biochemistry, is that okay? My biochemistry course itself didn't cover metabolism.
I'm sure Director Essman will respond to this as well. When I asked him back in September, I asked if my physiology course with metabolism could meet the requirement, and at that time the answer was yes. Your course description would likely need to state that metabolism is part of the syllabus.

Reactions: 1 user
Adding some data pointssss!
- Complete: 11/30
- CCLCM rejected: 12/28
- UP rejected: 2/18

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
For anyone going to the financial aid session tonight, could you ask about when financial aid packages will be distributed. Thanks!

For anyone going to the financial aid session tonight, could you ask about when financial aid packages will be distributed. Thanks!
Hopefully next week. The med school is one of the first and earliest programs to package incoming students at CWRU so we've been waiting on a few people/depts. to get back to us for updates on fees, health insurance costs for next year, updates to internal financial aid platforms, etc. We're ready, just waiting on others. We prefer to package people one time vs. having to go back and adjust multiple times because we learn about a change to a fee or something. ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Guessing next week for the next round of decisions?
Christian said it would be towards the end of the month and in previous posts, some people reported decisions for interviews conducted on 1/26. So, I believe you are correct. Early Feb decisions are, in all likelihood, coming out next week.

is anyone else extremely worried the took away their scholarship aid (AKA my parents make too much money but refuse to support me situation)

is anyone else extremely worried the took away their scholarship aid (AKA my parents make too much money but refuse to support me situation)
yeahhh.... I’m very concerned that Case won’t be financially feasible but it’s my top choice :( I’m trying not to stress too much before I hear back but also not get my hopes up

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
yeahhh.... I’m very concerned that Case won’t be financially feasible but it’s my top choice :( I’m trying not to stress too much before I hear back but also not get my hopes up
I'm in the same boat, I just received a 15k a year scholarship to another school but I am so in love with Case and am really grappling with the finances of it.

We are still reviewing applications and plan to wrap things up next week. I'm sorry that it has taken so long. We delayed our entire process by two weeks due to pandemic disruptions (late MCATs, etc.) so we're still feeling the effects of a late start.
Anymore IIs to be expected? Have not received pre-II R...is there any hope or have you wrapped things up? Do you send out II R to everyone not under consideration?

So I'm in a similar situation, but I was under the impression that most people take out loans as a means. Is your worry mostly stemming from the fact that debt from loans will be insane --because it probably will be --or is it because there's no way for you to afford med school without scholarship aid? Maybe it's because I haven't received an A yet, but I would be okay with taking out loans to cover everything to attend med school, because isn't it typically the case that we will eventually be able to pay them off as a doctor? Sorry if this is a long and ignorant question haha

I'm in the same boat, I just received a 15k a year scholarship to another school but I am so in love with Case and am really grappling with the finances of it.
Never hurts to apply for aid. Shoot your shot. Also, worrying about it now is counterproductive. Wait until you have all of the fin aid offer letters (likely this time next month or so) and carefully assess your options.

Interesting stuff I came across. The FB group CWRU School of Medicine Class of 2022 has 594 members; this appears accurate given that the excel from 2018 shows 567 acceptances - the discrepancy is likely administrators or previous students. The FB group for 2025 has 368 members. This could suggest either: (1) that there are a lot of spots to fill as we wind down the process; (2) or there is a great number of students who have been accepted and have not joined the group yet (perhaps they're waiting to be more sure about attending before joining). All of this to say that perhaps interviewing late does not put you at an extreme disadvantage. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I probably made an error somewhere in this.

Interesting stuff I came across. The FB group CWRU School of Medicine Class of 2022 has 594 members; this appears accurate given that the excel from 2018 shows 567 acceptances - the discrepancy is likely administrators or previous students. The FB group for 2025 has 368 members. This could suggest either: (1) that there are a lot of spots to fill as we wind down the process; (2) or there is a great number of students who have been accepted and have not joined the group yet (perhaps they're waiting to be more sure about attending before joining). All of this to say that perhaps interviewing late does not put you at an extreme disadvantage. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I probably made an error somewhere in this.
According to CWRSOM interviewing late does not put an applicant at a disadvantage. However, interviewing early means more time for reviews if one is not immediately accepted.

Thanks for the data! I think the 500+ number also corresponds to total admitted after waitlist movement right? I think its possible there are maybe 100-150 students who have not joined yet/not admitted yet, and another 50-100 who will come off the waitlist. Perhaps wishful thinking for my WL self 🙃

Thanks for the data! I think the 500+ number also corresponds to total admitted after waitlist movement right? I think its possible there are maybe 100-150 students who have not joined yet/not admitted yet, and another 50-100 who will come off the waitlist. Perhaps wishful thinking for my WL self 🙃
You're right, it includes waitlist. If you look at all of the facebook groups, the numbers change somewhat, but generally 600 or so. I was also thinking that this year is unlike any other. Compound that with the fact that Christian said that they are being conservative this cycle, and you might get significantly less people being accepted (which to me seems counterintuitive). That said, I doubt that the delta is going to be hundreds of acceptances.

Does anyone know if CWRU generally acknowledges receipt of a letter of continued interest? I sent one to the admissions email after being notified that I was on the alt list, but since I didn't get a reply I'm not sure if it's been added to my file or something like that yet. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if CWRU generally acknowledges receipt of a letter of continued interest? I sent one to the admissions email after being notified that I was on the alt list, but since I didn't get a reply I'm not sure if it's been added to my file or something like that yet. Thanks in advance!
any sort of communication I sent was always reflected in the portal!

any sort of communication I sent was always reflected in the portal!
Hm I just checked the portal (the Communication Status page) and don't see anything. I sent the letter early last week to the admissions email, do you think it's worth uploading it again through the document upload on iApply or is it possible that they simply just haven't gotten to it yet? Thank you again!

Hm I just checked the portal (the Communication Status page) and don't see anything. I sent the letter early last week to the admissions email, do you think it's worth uploading it again through the document upload on iApply or is it possible that they simply just haven't gotten to it yet? Thank you again!
I think it’s possible they may not have had a chance to upload your document. But you could upload it too.

Alt list to receive an interview?

When I sent a letter to that email I got a response indicating it had been received.

Did other people get invited to zoom on Thursday at 11 about new updates at Case?

I did. Email is very cryptic. It could be anything. Doesn't sound to me like it's an acceptance zoom meeting.
similarly worded "updates" emails in the past meant acceptances i think. at least based on the speculation in this thread (see end of january and november decision dates)

I did. Email is very cryptic. It could be anything. Doesn't sound to me like it's an acceptance zoom meeting.
similarly worded "updates" emails in the past meant acceptances i think. at least based on the speculation in this thread (see end of january and november decision dates)

Yes I was very confused by email's tone but fingers crossed. Dont want to get any hopes up though, it seemed like it could mean anything...

I got it too and definitely agree that the tone was cryptic, but hey I guess we will find out soon what it means!

Got the email as well. Trust, but verify...so I guess we'll find out what it's about on Thursday. Did anyone notice that the zoom meeting is set to occur at 11pm?