2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And then sadly at the same time it makes me wonder if the Duke culture is like that.. or even just med school in general. I have only had 3 interviews overall but all have been extremely kind and this is my first that felt like a 'stress' interview or 'pimping'. And I could quickly tell that it is not my style of learning and not what I want to endure for med school. Any current students at Duke that can speak to this? I would hope it's just a few interviewers and not the whole culture at the school? But without being able to visit in person, it's hard to ignore an experience like this when trying to determine the 'vibe' of a school :/
I really don't know what their med school culture is, but I know their undergrad culture was horrible. Even though I had a scholarship that made it the same price as state school, I chose not to go there because I hated the vibe so much. Between my tour guide, professor meet and greet, and student panel I realized about an hour into their high school day that I would not be going there. Also I am not a fan of the triangle area, the traffic is terrible

Edit: but would totally go here for med school pls accept me

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I really don't know what their med school culture is, but I know their undergrad culture was horrible. Even though I had a scholarship that made it the same price as state school, I chose not to go there because I hated the vibe so much. Between my tour guide, professor meet and greet, and student panel I realized about an hour into their high school day that I would not be going there. Also I am not a fan of the triangle area, the traffic is terrible

Edit: but would totally go here for med school pls accept me
the edit is such a mood

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I don't know how well I can speak on this, but while attending SBSI@Duke about 3 years ago, the DukeMed culture and academic professors were extremely hardcore, but also very welcoming and supportive. I remember on the first day when Dr. Brenda Armstrong (who was director of DukeMed admission for a few years I think before she passed away) said that she had a "chip on her shoulder" and that we should too basically. Lots of the focus of our program was social equity and racial justice within the healthcare system (which fits with the students they attract) so it made sense in the context of what she was talking about but was infiltrated throughout everything else, too. I am pretty sure my colleagues and I all wanted to die by the end of the program because we were very ~over worked~. In the end, it was a really beneficial program, made my skin thicker, and taught me that medical school isn't going to be flowers and perfect sun sets, as many social media influencers and Netflix shows sometimes suggest. I don't think you could go wrong going to Duke. While it won't be easy, it will be well worth your effort in the end. Keeping your mental health in check will be difficult for sure, but I am sure you will meet some really amazing people. Also - their facilities (med school + hospital + campus) and access to resources are, quite simply put, mind blowing.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate any insight I can get. But to add on to this from my experience, I just don't personally feel that creating a stressful/aggressive interview (or environment in general) is productive in any sense to become a great physician. My undergrad is pretty difficult, and I have been through extremely stressful personal experiences to get to this point, and just don't feel that their version of the MMI shows what students have gone through and what they can handle. I truly do understand the intent (and how important it is), but just believe it was done in such an unnecessary and inaccurate way that may not actually filter for what they are looking for. Again, just my random opinion from a recent interview, but it has definitely put schools in to perspective in a much different light for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate any insight I can get. But to add on to this from my experience, I just don't personally feel that creating a stressful/aggressive interview (or environment in general) is productive in any sense to become a great physician. My undergrad is pretty difficult, and I have been through extremely stressful personal experiences to get to this point, and just don't feel that their version of the MMI shows what students have gone through and what they can handle. I truly do understand the intent (and how important it is), but just believe it was done in such an unnecessary and inaccurate way that may not actually filter for what they are looking for. Again, just my random opinion from a recent interview, but it has definitely put schools in to perspective in a much different light for me.
I totally see where you are coming from. I definitely agree that I don't think creating a stressful environment would be the best to see someones true potential, but I do think it fits very well with the culture and dialogue of Duke.

Reactions: 1 user
As it seems like I was the only (or one of the few) who had a positive experience with the MMI, I just wanted to chime in to say that I didn't have anything resembling a stress interview during my MMI. It appears like many of you folks may have had a particularly aggressive rater, unfortunately, but that DukeMed didn't intend for there to be a stressful station in particular.

Reactions: 1 users
As it seems like I was the only (or one of the few) who had a positive experience with the MMI, I just wanted to chime in to say that I didn't have anything resembling a stress interview during my MMI. It appears like many of you folks may have had a particularly aggressive rater, unfortunately, but that DukeMed didn't intend for there to be a stressful station in particular.
Yeah, I agree with you. I had my date wrong and actually interviewed this past week, and I’d definitely echo what many others have said. The majority of my raters were very kind and engaging, two were stern but still fine, and two were very harsh and aggressive. It’s nice to hear others had nice experiences and maybe DukeMed didn’t intend for stress interviews, but it’s hard for me to feel as excited about this school now in comparison to other med schools that I’ve had a more positive interview experience with.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Do we think they're on time with IIs or do they seem behind? On last year's thread the last II I saw was on 12/28 so they could be wrapping up soon if the former

Do we think they're on time with IIs or do they seem behind? On last year's thread the last II I saw was on 12/28 so they could be wrapping up soon if the former
They’re significantly behind.

source: I attended a t10 undergrad (also a t10 med school). I spoke to my pre-health advisor last week. She communicates regularly with t20 adcoms. She said the cycle is about 2 months behind where it typically is. This exact timeline is not true for all schools, but the general consensus she shared is that everyone is behind. She used Duke as an example of adcoms she knows are scrambling to accommodate the influx of accepted interviews, and she is sure IIs will be extended later than typically done in the cycle.

• Wow
  • Love
They’re significantly behind.

source: I attended a t10 undergrad (also a t10 med school). I spoke to my pre-health advisor last week. She communicates regularly with t20 adcoms. She said the cycle is about 2 months behind where it typically is. This exact timeline is not true for all schools, but the general consensus she shared is that everyone is behind. She used Duke as an example of adcoms she knows are scrambling to accommodate the influx of accepted interviews, and she is sure IIs will be extended later than typically done in the cycle.
Things we (late applicants) love to see

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II!! wtffff this was one of my dream schools!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
should i begin to lose hope for duke?? really really wanted that II. I thought my secondary was the best i wrote tbh. complete 8/2 OOS LM: 73

should i begin to lose hope for duke?? really really wanted that II. I thought my secondary was the best i wrote tbh. complete 8/2 OOS LM: 73
+1. I was complete mid-August, and am surprised considering my stats are in range and I put so much time into each of the esaays.

Reactions: 5 users
Easier said than done, but it ain’t over until there’s a rejection sitting in your inbox.

Reactions: 4 users
Just a few posts up someone said that their pre-health advisor informed them that Duke is probably a month or two behind and will probably be extending IIs for longer than usual this cycle. Hopefully true!

Reactions: 4 users
Just a few posts up someone said that their pre-health advisor informed them that Duke is probably a month or two behind and will probably be extending IIs for longer than usual this cycle. Hopefully true!
Quoting to confirm this again. I can say with 100% certainty this is true. :)

II today ahhh I'm so excited!! Scheduled my interview for next week. Complete 8/12

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
II today as well! Complete mid/late September and NOT within 2 weeks actually bc that secondary was a long boi. Can't schedule my interview rn bc it says no available sessions so I'll just check back later but wow I am stoked. Good luck to everyone else <3

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I was complete in July and just finally got an interview today! Dont lose hope, it’s not over until you get a rejection!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I have an interview coming up here next week and the previous posts are freaking me out a little... do any previous interviewees have any advice for preparing, or is it best to just relax and try not to get stressed out by aggressive raters?

I have an interview coming up here next week and the previous posts are freaking me out a little... do any previous interviewees have any advice for preparing, or is it best to just relax and try not to get stressed out by aggressive raters?
I say just relax, stay firm in whatever stance you took, and give confident responses (even if you're freaking out on the inside like I did lol) - but its comforting to know everyone experienced it!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Would you guys recommend sending in an update re clinical experience? I hadn't started working in the position until after I sent in my secondary, but I know their update categories are limited to publications, infractions, elections to societies, or additional information not included in the AMCAS application. I had mentioned the activity but wasn't really able to elaborate on it at that point.

Would you guys recommend sending in an update re clinical experience? I hadn't started working in the position until after I sent in my secondary, but I know their update categories are limited to publications, infractions, elections to societies, or additional information not included in the AMCAS application. I had mentioned the activity but wasn't really able to elaborate on it at that point.
Though experts would say this is not significant enough, as a co-applicant, I think, at this time, this can do no harm. May not do any help either.

I agree with above. I can't see how it would hurt and I would categorize it as "additional information not included in AMCAS"

Do you know where you are able to send updates? In my portal I no longer have the option to upload files (says only applicable up to one week after interview?) Any advice?

does duke take pre-II updates? there does not seem to be a place for it in the portal

does duke take pre-II updates? there does not seem to be a place for it in the portal
Hi! All the way at the bottom of the portal where it says "Upload Files (optional)," I added my update under the category "Any additional details that were not included in the AMCAS application."

Hi! All the way at the bottom of the portal where it says "Upload Files (optional)," I added my update under the category "Any additional details that were not included in the AMCAS application."
thank you!

Will it be delayed since they are behind this year?
nope, that's the timeline posted on their website and the app portal, and what they told us interview day

My portal says that my application is still under review? Shouldn’t they keep us more updated about our app status?

yo for reals? So if we don't get ll invite the next few days we getting Rs?
yo for reals? So if we don't get ll invite the next few days we getting Rs?
To my knowledge
My portal says that my application is still under review? Shouldn’t they keep us more updated about our app status?
Hi guys,
I apologize. In haste to update everyone here waiting to hear back, I misread the email. They said as follows in the interview invite email: “Interviews will begin on mid-September and will tentatively conclude the end of January 2021.”

I only had the option to interview three days next week. Definitely still a chance these interviews are going longer than next week.

When I got my II a couple weeks ago, they had a date in early Feb available. I imagine it's possible they're still sending IIs and opening more dates in Feb!

Does Duke accept updates? I just got a publication, but the applicant portal says documents can only be uploaded until one week after the interview. The section is blocked off and I couldn't upload an update letter even if I wanted to.

My interview was months ago so idk if I'm allowed.

Does Duke accept updates? I just got a publication, but the applicant portal says documents can only be uploaded until one week after the interview. The section is blocked off and I couldn't upload an update letter even if I wanted to.

probably blocked off because it's more than one week after the interview. email them though, doesn't hurt to ask.

I asked admissions this question today. They said they are happy for you to send updates to them through email, but they won't be added to your application file. If you send a letter of intent, that will be added to your application file.