2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II about an hour ago!! OOS, LM 73, complete 10/20, only options were for Mon-Thurs the week of December 7th. Super shocked by this one and was the last secondary I submitted because of how long it is, and I thought I wasn't going to get anymore II (especially since I submitted this one on the later side).
Wow! Idek when I submitted but it was definitely in October so you give me hope. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow! Idek when I submitted but it was definitely in October so you give me hope. Congrats!
Thanks! And yeah there is definitely always a chance and they seem to review apps by some different system besides complete date. Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have completed your interviews already, were you allowed to write during the 2 minutes we have to prepare for each MMI station?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have completed your interviews already, were you allowed to write during the 2 minutes we have to prepare for each MMI station?
Yes you can write and reference your notes during the MMI.

Does Duke give out any information on the structure of the MMI? In terms of how many stations there are, how much time for each station, and what the format of the MMIs are (ethical, acting, or team-based)? I haven't been able to find a lot of information for this on their website, and I just wanna know how to best prepare.

Does Duke give out any information on the structure of the MMI? In terms of how many stations there are, how much time for each station, and what the format of the MMIs are (ethical, acting, or team-based)? I haven't been able to find a lot of information for this on their website, and I just wanna know how to best prepare.
I believe they talk about it in the All Access episode on Duke. Not sure if we’re allowed to say what it was like.

Just submitted my application...😬
Submitted mine yesterday. Honestly don't know what to expect this cycle but hope that COVID and Duke's non-rolling admissions are on our side LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Daughter received II.complete 7/29. OOS.ORM.LM 75. Next week interview.

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Just submitted my application...😬
Submitted mine yesterday. Honestly don't know what to expect this cycle but hope that COVID and Duke's non-rolling admissions are on our side LOL.
Just submitted mine too...hoping they meant it when they said applications completed any time during the admissions cycle are still being considered early 👀

Reactions: 5 users
If I have updates over 2 of the categories (pub and Honor society) should I upload them separately or together under the "anything not in AMCAS application" category?

II invite just now! Complete 10/27

Reactions: 8 users
If I have updates over 2 of the categories (pub and Honor society) should I upload them separately or together under the "anything not in AMCAS application" category?
Put them together. Don't make them sort through more documents than they have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has Duke sent any Rs yet? Complete in August and am fully anticipating the R.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! Definitely didn’t expect it. Complete 10/5

If someone’s MCAT isn’t within their range or higher, are they automatically thrown out and not reviewed?

II today!! complete 9/29

Reactions: 4 users
If someone’s MCAT isn’t within their range or higher, are they automatically thrown out and not reviewed?
Definitely not. If you look through their class profile, you can see the scores they interview and offer acceptance to. For the 2019 cycle, they interviewed someone with a 496

Just checking-semester grades would not be an update that they accept, right? I’m an undergrad and just got back all of my grades for fall 2020. I doubt it’ll make a big difference but figured I would submit the update if it qualifies. Interviewed yesterday.

Has Duke sent any Rs yet? Complete in August and am fully anticipating the R.
My secondary confirmation email says they don’t communicate except for II so I’d assume they send all Rs in the spring after they announce their As. Also basing this off last years thread.

My secondary confirmation email says they don’t communicate except for II so I’d assume they send all Rs in the spring after they announce their As. Also basing this off last years thread.

When did you receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I just got an email confirming my payment after I submitted my secondary. Thanks so much!

When did you receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I just got an email confirming my payment after I submitted my secondary. Thanks so much!
After looking back it wasn’t a confirmation of secondary submission just the invite to submit a secondary- sorry !

• Care
After looking back it wasn’t a confirmation of secondary submission just the invite to submit a secondary- sorry !

No worries!! I really appreciate your response! I just got paranoid I submitted it wrong Lol! Which would have been painful after all those essays 😂

No worries!! I really appreciate your response! I just got paranoid I submitted it wrong Lol! Which would have been painful after all those essays 😂
yes so painful! I don't think I ever got confirmation of payment though so at least you have that lol

yes so painful! I don't think I ever got confirmation of payment though so at least you have that lol

It was like the automated receipt that shows the fee charged to your credit card! But as long as your portal says your complete you should be good! Good luck!!!

It was like the automated receipt that shows the fee charged to your credit card! But as long as your portal says your complete you should be good! Good luck!!!
Yeah I'm sure I just deleted it at some point. Thanks, you as well! :)

Anyone know if Duke accepts post-interview updates? The portal makes it seem like no....but I am hoping for a different answer lol

II! Received yesterday but didn't see until just now... check your junk mail folders people!

II earlier today! Complete 9/6, OOS, LM80. I also saw it a little bit later since it was in my junk email folder.

Reactions: 9 users
Have my Duke interview coming up in about a week and a I'm pretty nervous for it. Can anyone speak to if they found their interview experience to be very stressful? I know MMIs probably aren't as relaxed as one-on-one interviews can be, but just want to be prepared if the general consensus is that Duke's style if fairly difficult.

Have my Duke interview coming up in about a week and a I'm pretty nervous for it. Can anyone speak to if they found their interview experience to be very stressful? I know MMIs probably aren't as relaxed as one-on-one interviews can be, but just want to be prepared if the general consensus is that Duke's style if fairly difficult.
Honestly, felt more relaxed than any one-on-one I've ever had and felt better even than other MMIs. Wonderful experience overall! Good luck to you!

Have any international students gotten an II here yet?

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually didn't have the best MMI experience. Two of my interviewers didn't seem to understand me very well. As in I explained my opinion and reasoning in two of the MMI scenarios and then they repeated what I said back to me as if they had heard the opposite. Those interviewers also didn't pay attention to the time and asked me questions as the timer ran out and we were sent back to the main waiting room. So, it's been worrying me, because while I wanted to think they were just testing my reaction, it seemed like they just weren't listening. Idk. Fingers crossed. But hopefully you'll have a different experience!

• Care
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually didn't have the best MMI experience. Two of my interviewers didn't seem to understand me very well. As in I explained my opinion and reasoning in two of the MMI scenarios and then they repeated what I said back to me as if they had heard the opposite. Those interviewers also didn't pay attention to the time and asked me questions as the timer ran out and we were sent back to the main waiting room. So, it's been worrying me, because while I wanted to think they were just testing my reaction, it seemed like they just weren't listening. Idk. Fingers crossed. But hopefully you'll have a different experience!
+1. Hardest interview so far for me. Did well on most stations but had one where the interviewer kept pushing me to do something illegal and wouldn’t accept that I wouldn’t. Had another that felt iffy too. I’m pretty good at interviewing so this really threw me.

• Wow
  • Care
i thought my mmi went well. there was definitely one guy who i think was giving me a stress interview, but the other people i talked to i had pretty good convos with

Has anyone else not beeen able to schedule their interview?

Just wanted to add that I had a very similar experience...this was by FAR the most stressful interview I have had. 3-4 of my interviewers seemed quite aggressive/confrontational and put nearly everything I said in a negative light. It was quite disheartening, tbh....but I have a feeling this is done on purpose to see how you respond under pressure.
+1 I felt like two of my MMIs were HELLA aggressive/stressful. Idk if I responded in a good way or not but I am just glad its over lol. Felt average about most of the rest, and then two or so others had really nice raters and good conversation but I was still so put off from the previous stressful ones. One of the current students told us that your two lowest MMI scores get dropped so hopefully that helps a bit

• Care
+1 I felt like two of my MMIs were HELLA aggressive/stressful. Idk if I responded in a good way or not but I am just glad its over lol. Felt average about most of the rest, and then two or so others had really nice raters and good conversation but I was still so put off from the previous stressful ones. One of the current students told us that your two lowest MMI scores get dropped so hopefully that helps a bit
Lol I'm so glad people are talking about this. One of my final raters was straight up yelling at me. Not sure why they think that's effective strategy, but whatevs. I also did feel like some raters either misheard or misinterpreted my responses, and almost all of my stations ended abruptly because of timing. A weird experience, but I still feel good about the school overall

Lol I'm so glad people are talking about this. One of my final raters was straight up yelling at me. Not sure why they think that's effective strategy, but whatevs. I also did feel like some raters either misheard or misinterpreted my responses, and almost all of my stations ended abruptly because of timing. A weird experience, but I still feel good about the school overall
It makes me feel so much better that other people had a similar experience and that it wasn't just me, so hopefully it all averages out in the end! I also agree on the weirdness but still overall good lol

• Care
They yelled at you??

• Haha
It’s unfortunate because so much of my view of Duke has been clouded by the stressful interview experience here compared to other schools I hold A’s at. Hoping if I’m lucky enough to get an A here I’ll be able to get a better view of the school with second look.

Reactions: 6 users
They yelled at you??
Yup I was shook to the core lol. They were very passionate about why one of the extreme approaches to an ethical dilemma was the best. I knew this was probs one of the stations that would be dropped so I just sort of nodded my head as they yelled. I mentioned them in my survey

Reactions: 3 users
Yup I was shook to the core lol. They were very passionate about why one of the extreme approaches to an ethical dilemma was the best. I knew this was probs one of the stations that would be dropped so I just sort of nodded my head as they yelled. I mentioned them in my survey
lol I feel like I know the exact station you are talking about too... I was even in denial about them 'yelling' at me until I reflected afterwards and realized how not normal it was. Honestly the more time that passes the more I am a bit disappointed in the experience. I am hoping it was an anomaly that others will not have to experience

And then sadly at the same time it makes me wonder if the Duke culture is like that.. or even just med school in general. I have only had 3 interviews overall but all have been extremely kind and this is my first that felt like a 'stress' interview or 'pimping'. And I could quickly tell that it is not my style of learning and not what I want to endure for med school. Any current students at Duke that can speak to this? I would hope it's just a few interviewers and not the whole culture at the school? But without being able to visit in person, it's hard to ignore an experience like this when trying to determine the 'vibe' of a school :/

And then sadly at the same time it makes me wonder if the Duke culture is like that.. or even just med school in general. I have only had 3 interviews overall but all have been extremely kind and this is my first that felt like a 'stress' interview or 'pimping'. And I could quickly tell that it is not my style of learning and not what I want to endure for med school. Any current students at Duke that can speak to this? I would hope it's just a few interviewers and not the whole culture at the school? But without being able to visit in person, it's hard to ignore an experience like this when trying to determine the 'vibe' of a school :/
I don't know how well I can speak on this, but while attending SBSI@Duke about 3 years ago, the DukeMed culture and academic professors were extremely hardcore, but also very welcoming and supportive. I remember on the first day when Dr. Brenda Armstrong (who was director of DukeMed admission for a few years I think before she passed away) said that she had a "chip on her shoulder" and that we should too basically. Lots of the focus of our program was social equity and racial justice within the healthcare system (which fits with the students they attract) so it made sense in the context of what she was talking about but was infiltrated throughout everything else, too. I am pretty sure my colleagues and I all wanted to die by the end of the program because we were very ~over worked~. In the end, it was a really beneficial program, made my skin thicker, and taught me that medical school isn't going to be flowers and perfect sun sets, as many social media influencers and Netflix shows sometimes suggest. I don't think you could go wrong going to Duke. While it won't be easy, it will be well worth your effort in the end. Keeping your mental health in check will be difficult for sure, but I am sure you will meet some really amazing people. Also - their facilities (med school + hospital + campus) and access to resources are, quite simply put, mind blowing.