2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah yeah the update box is greyed out for me but I thought in general it would be better to send it through a personal email to the ADCOM? I have no idea, just speculating
Definitely agree a letter/email would be more impactful

Members don't see this ad.

Duke seems to have been quiet lately. Has anyone that completed after 8/25 got an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke did not even start app review until August 14 this cycle, whereas most schools started July 10, so I'm thinking it may be a while.

Reactions: 3 users
Complete 7/30. Being reviewed by an independent set of reviewers since then!!! Even if they read one word per day, they could have completed by now (despite Duke having a million secondary questions)

Reactions: 9 users
To those who have sent thank you emails after the interview, did you get a reply from adcomm?

Complete 7/30. Being reviewed by an independent set of reviewers since then!!! Even if they read one word per day, they could have completed by now (despite Duke having a million secondary questions)
Is there anyone else waiting from July or August?

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so excited to interview soon! for anyone who already had one, how did it feel? Obviously no specifics but was it hard? Comfortable? Awkward? Knowing those little things really makes me feel better haha

so excited to interview soon! for anyone who already had one, how did it feel? Obviously no specifics but was it hard? Comfortable? Awkward? Knowing those little things really makes me feel better

Probably my hardest interview so far but not horrible.

Reactions: 2 users
Does Duke MMI mostly consist of personal questions/questions related to your app?

Last edited:
Since Duke is Non-rolling and we won’t hear back til Feb., when would it be appropriate to send letters of intent (is that what they’re called?) I have a few interviews coming up in November but Duke is by far my top choice, interviewed Oct. 1st

Since Duke is Non-rolling and we won’t hear back til Feb., when would it be appropriate to send letters of intent (is that what they’re called?) I have a few interviews coming up in November but Duke is by far my top choice, interviewed Oct. 1st
Your window for updates passed already which is more common pre-decision. Most people wait until they are waitlisted to send a letter of intent. A letter of intent wouldn’t change anything now if you’re going to be rejected anyway and would hold more power once on a waitlist. So hope for the A but send the letter if WL.

Reactions: 1 user
II just now!! Complete 8/7 :)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
II an hour ago, complete 9/9, IS, LM 77

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got an interview yesterday afternoon! Feeling very fortunate.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone submit an update/letter of interest post-interview? I would like to, but I know their policy says " we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates" if mine is more just activity based is this a bad look?

Did anyone submit an update/letter of interest post-interview? I would like to, but I know their policy says " we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates" if mine is more just activity based is this a bad look?
I wouldn’t do it. You have to pick a type of update on the portal and the only options are for those things you stated.

I wouldn’t do it. You have to pick a type of update on the portal and the only options are for those things you stated.
Thanks for clarifying! That makes the decision easy haha

II today! Complete 10/24. Incredibly thankful!

Reactions: 8 users
Undergrad GPA very low. Grad GPA 3.6. Retake MCAT 520. IS. Graduated with an MS from Duke.

Reactions: 2 users
Since duke does not have rolling admissions, there is no benefit to having an earlier interview day, right? Received an II yesterday and the available dates are for next week or first week of January. This will be my first MMI so I feel like next week may be too quick... any advice would be appreciated!

Since duke does not have rolling admissions, there is no benefit to having an earlier interview day, right? Received an II yesterday and the available dates are for next week or first week of January. This will be my first MMI so I feel like next week may be too quick... any advice would be appreciated!

Congrats! Idk if you've already completed VITA yet. Initially I wanted to schedule for the soonest date which was 11/17, but since I haven't completed VITA yet I thought it'd be better to practice for this as well as the MMI by giving myself a little bit more time; so I scheduled for later in november. Earlier dates don't necessarily help more. Unless the dates are really far apart, I'd give yourself a little extra time to prep. What options did you have? When I scheduled yesterday there were like four in november, one in december, and one in january or something?

Congrats! Idk if you've already completed VITA yet. Initially I wanted to schedule for the soonest date which was 11/17, but since I haven't completed VITA yet I thought it'd be better to practice for this as well as the MMI by giving myself a little bit more time; so I scheduled for later in november. Earlier dates don't necessarily help more. Unless the dates are really far apart, I'd give yourself a little extra time to prep. What options did you have? When I scheduled yesterday there were like four in november, one in december, and one in january or something?
Have you received an email to complete VITA? I received a II on Wednesday and have not heard anything from HireVue

Have you received an email to complete VITA? I received a II on Wednesday and have not heard anything from HireVue
Yeah I did the next day! Maybe wait another day and then call Duke? I'm assuming you haven't completed VITA yet, right?

Yeah I did the next day! Maybe wait another day and then call Duke? I'm assuming you haven't completed VITA yet, right?
I believe they only send out VITA invites on Thursdays, so if you didn't get one the day after your II you may need to wait until next week. You'll definitely have to contact Duke if your interview date doesn't align with this timeline

Ok thanks! I was planning on calling. This is my first interview of the cycle so I haven't had to complete it yet

Reactions: 1 users
Question about application updates:

Duke's admissions FAQ page says the following regarding application updates: "Once the supplemental application is received we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates."

Does this mean the committee only wants updates of those specific types? Are updates of any other kind (i.e., leadership position, service opportunity, etc.) also accepted?

Question about application updates:

Duke's admissions FAQ page says the following regarding application updates: "Once the supplemental application is received we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates."

Does this mean the committee only wants updates of those specific types? Are updates of any other kind (i.e., leadership position, service opportunity, etc.) also accepted?
so someone told me this, but I checked in the portal and there was another category about adding to the AMCAS, I thought my update fit that category but I guess that's really up to your discretion

II about an hour ago!! OOS, LM 73, complete 10/20, only options were for Mon-Thurs the week of December 7th. Super shocked by this one and was the last secondary I submitted because of how long it is, and I thought I wasn't going to get anymore II (especially since I submitted this one on the later side).

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users