2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those who have sent thank you emails after the interview, did you get a reply from adcomm?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so excited to interview soon! for anyone who already had one, how did it feel? Obviously no specifics but was it hard? Comfortable? Awkward? Knowing those little things really makes me feel better haha
 
Since Duke is Non-rolling and we won’t hear back til Feb., when would it be appropriate to send letters of intent (is that what they’re called?) I have a few interviews coming up in November but Duke is by far my top choice, interviewed Oct. 1st
 
Since Duke is Non-rolling and we won’t hear back til Feb., when would it be appropriate to send letters of intent (is that what they’re called?) I have a few interviews coming up in November but Duke is by far my top choice, interviewed Oct. 1st
Your window for updates passed already which is more common pre-decision. Most people wait until they are waitlisted to send a letter of intent. A letter of intent wouldn’t change anything now if you’re going to be rejected anyway and would hold more power once on a waitlist. So hope for the A but send the letter if WL.
 
Did anyone submit an update/letter of interest post-interview? I would like to, but I know their policy says " we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates" if mine is more just activity based is this a bad look?
 
Did anyone submit an update/letter of interest post-interview? I would like to, but I know their policy says " we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates" if mine is more just activity based is this a bad look?
I wouldn’t do it. You have to pick a type of update on the portal and the only options are for those things you stated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since duke does not have rolling admissions, there is no benefit to having an earlier interview day, right? Received an II yesterday and the available dates are for next week or first week of January. This will be my first MMI so I feel like next week may be too quick... any advice would be appreciated!
 
Since duke does not have rolling admissions, there is no benefit to having an earlier interview day, right? Received an II yesterday and the available dates are for next week or first week of January. This will be my first MMI so I feel like next week may be too quick... any advice would be appreciated!

Congrats! Idk if you've already completed VITA yet. Initially I wanted to schedule for the soonest date which was 11/17, but since I haven't completed VITA yet I thought it'd be better to practice for this as well as the MMI by giving myself a little bit more time; so I scheduled for later in november. Earlier dates don't necessarily help more. Unless the dates are really far apart, I'd give yourself a little extra time to prep. What options did you have? When I scheduled yesterday there were like four in november, one in december, and one in january or something?
 
Congrats! Idk if you've already completed VITA yet. Initially I wanted to schedule for the soonest date which was 11/17, but since I haven't completed VITA yet I thought it'd be better to practice for this as well as the MMI by giving myself a little bit more time; so I scheduled for later in november. Earlier dates don't necessarily help more. Unless the dates are really far apart, I'd give yourself a little extra time to prep. What options did you have? When I scheduled yesterday there were like four in november, one in december, and one in january or something?
Have you received an email to complete VITA? I received a II on Wednesday and have not heard anything from HireVue
 
Have you received an email to complete VITA? I received a II on Wednesday and have not heard anything from HireVue
Yeah I did the next day! Maybe wait another day and then call Duke? I'm assuming you haven't completed VITA yet, right?
 
Yeah I did the next day! Maybe wait another day and then call Duke? I'm assuming you haven't completed VITA yet, right?
I believe they only send out VITA invites on Thursdays, so if you didn't get one the day after your II you may need to wait until next week. You'll definitely have to contact Duke if your interview date doesn't align with this timeline
 
Question about application updates:

Duke's admissions FAQ page says the following regarding application updates: "Once the supplemental application is received we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates."

Does this mean the committee only wants updates of those specific types? Are updates of any other kind (i.e., leadership position, service opportunity, etc.) also accepted?
 
Question about application updates:

Duke's admissions FAQ page says the following regarding application updates: "Once the supplemental application is received we will accept updates such as publications, honor/awards, any legal updates."

Does this mean the committee only wants updates of those specific types? Are updates of any other kind (i.e., leadership position, service opportunity, etc.) also accepted?
so someone told me this, but I checked in the portal and there was another category about adding to the AMCAS, I thought my update fit that category but I guess that's really up to your discretion
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad