2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite today! Scheduled for 2/4/21. Came as a bit of a surprise, but I've also worked here for over a year and a half now. For those asking, I did send an update letter around 3-4 weeks ago.
Congratulations! Were you previously on hold?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
for GW specifically, I think it's recommended to save LOI til we get waitlisted for two reasons: 1)GW accepts about 25-30% of interviewees including waitlist movement, so that means most of people who interviewed will get waitlisted. 2)last year, GW explicitly asked waitlisted applicants to send in a LOI so we will need a convincing letter to stay on the list! Good luck!
Agree wholeheartedly with this response^ but I would say if you have a substantive update, definitely send that in ASAP post-II

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Did you notice if you ever went back under review?
Thank you! I checked last night and it didn't say I was under review. My update had to do with something I was doing at GW, so I'm guessing that definitely helps my cause.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know when they usually create the facebook page for the accepted students?

Just noticed that I was already reviewed and placed on hold. Added this school on last minute so literally submitted 12/1.
I have an update to add about a new volunteer position, but since I just submitted I plan to wait a bit before I send it in. I am wondering how best to format the update, though. Do ya'll write a straight-to-the-point paragraph or something more like a letter or email? Thanks in advance!

Just noticed that I was already reviewed and placed on hold. Added this school on last minute so literally submitted 12/1.
I have an update to add about a new volunteer position, but since I just submitted I plan to wait a bit before I send it in. I am wondering how best to format the update, though. Do ya'll write a straight-to-the-point paragraph or something more like a letter or email? Thanks in advance!
Mine was pretty straight to the point and I added a blurb at the end about how I really wanted to go here. It's best to keep it under a page

I was placed on hold in October. I’ve been checking the website everyday, and today, it says “my file is under review”! Should I take it as a good sign? Desperately waiting for my first II haha

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even realize I was on hold for an interview here. I plan to send an update letter today! Any tips?

II today! Complete 10/05. Have been on hold since mid-Oct. Sent 2 updates. Interview in early Feb.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
II today! Complete 10/05. Have been on hold since mid-Oct. Sent 2 updates. Interview in early Feb.
Also did you have significant updates? I sent an update in October and me considering sending another but not sure I’d have anything worthwhile to write about!

Also did you have significant updates? I sent an update in October and me considering sending another but not sure I’d have anything worthwhile to write about!
I recently got an II and had sent in an update around late October/early November. I'd say mine was fairly significant (new outreach program with a GW doc starting in the new year). I also reiterated interest in the message.

I just interviewed today! To those who already interviewed, where did you find email addresses for faculty and students?

My updates included some recent accomplishments related to my nonprofit position, a new role for an undergraduate journal, publishing to a student magazine, and getting interviewed by a foreign tv channel. Few sentences related to interest at the end of my update.

I just interviewed today! To those who already interviewed, where did you find email addresses for faculty and students?
From what I've seen, almost no one gets contact information from their interviewers at GW. Thank you letters can be directed to the medadmit email, and they pass them along to the interviewers

My faculty interviewer gave me his at the end of the interview if I had additional questions. My student one I sent to the [email protected] email w/ the title "ATTN: name, Thank You"

From what I've seen, almost no one gets contact information from their interviewers at GW. Thank you letters can be directed to the medadmit email, and they pass them along to the interviewers
Okay great that’s what I’ll do. Thank you!!

Does anyone know if/when admissions at GW are taking a break for the holidays? Not sure when would be best to send another update

Reactions: 5 users
My interview is in February, but I am getting intimidated by the stats (30% post-II acceptance). Do you guys have any tips for the interview? Or offer insight as to why the post-II acceptance rate is so low? I've got a fairly outgoing personality and decent ECs, but I'm paranoid my LizzyM will ultimately hold me back.

already sent an update for research, no II yet - thinking of updating with an unofficial transcript once my final grades are posted. Are other people doing this too ?

My interview is in February, but I am getting intimidated by the stats (30% post-II acceptance). Do you guys have any tips for the interview? Or offer insight as to why the post-II acceptance rate is so low? I've got a fairly outgoing personality and decent ECs, but I'm paranoid my LizzyM will ultimately hold me back.
Post-II acceptance rate is low because they interview way more people as compared to other schools

Post-II acceptance rate is low because they interview way more people as compared to other schools
Yes, ~1,000 interviews, ~300 offers, and ~150 matriculants. I was hoping if someone knew if post-II Rs are based off stats, x% of high stat candidates make up x% of the interviews, or something like that.

Yes, ~1,000 interviews, ~300 offers, and ~150 matriculants. I was hoping if someone knew if post-II Rs are based off stats, x% of high stat candidates make up x% of the interviews, or something like that.
GW almost never sends post-II Rs from what I've seen. You'd have to really offend them to pull a post-II R here. Pretty much the only options after interviewing with GW are an A or WL. GW also yield protects pretty strongly even though a good portion of their incoming classes comes from the waitlist because a decent amount of people withdraw their As for other options. No way to predict how much stats factor into their "holistic" review of apps and admittance decisions post-II

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
GW almost never sends post-II Rs from what I've seen. You'd have to really offend them to pull a post-II R here. Pretty much the only options after interviewing with GW are an A or WL. GW also yield protects pretty strongly even though a good portion of their incoming classes comes from the waitlist because a decent amount of people withdraw their As for other options. No way to predict how much stats factor into their "holistic" review of apps and admittance decisions post-II
How do you know they yield protect pretty strongly?

Did anyone else interview today? If so, did your interviewers give you contact information to send thank you letters. Mine did not and I’m wondering what to do.

Did anyone else interview today? If so, did your interviewers give you contact information to send thank you letters. Mine did not and I’m wondering what to do.
I interviewed today, I did not but my student interviewer actually emailed me before in case I had any problems logging on. I don't think it's common for faculty to give out info, just send it to medinter and they will pass it along.

Did other people get their faculty and student webex invites around the same time? My interview is tomorrow, and I received my faculty link on Sunday night but haven't seen a student one yet. Just trying to figure out if I deleted it somehow or need to email them.

Did other people get their faculty and student webex invites around the same time? My interview is tomorrow, and I received my faculty link on Sunday night but haven't seen a student one yet. Just trying to figure out if I deleted it somehow or need to email them.
I got mine at different times! I got my student one pretty much 24 hours before. They also send a reminder email that tells you to contact them if you haven't received them yet. its a weird and stressful setup

Hope and hurt all in one post.

GWU: 2019-2020
II: 12/9/19 (late jan) (they were on hold for a month and then re-reviewed)
Re-review noticed: 12/14
Hold-> Pre-II R: 12/17
Hold -> II: 12/18
II: 1/6/20
Pre-II R: 1/15 (no hold)
Hold -> Pre-II R: 1/30
II: 2/6 (for 2/13)
Hold-> II: 2/6 (for 2/25)
Hold-> Rereview-> II: 2/6
II: 2/10 (for 2/17)
Hold-> Pre-II Rs: 3/2 (****ton)

So.......... I think we're behind last year bc pandemic but there's still....hope.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users