2020-2021 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got the call from dr. callahan earlier today!! interview date 1/27

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
To current students, does SKMC still do internal rankings by thirds? Or have they done away with that?

To current students, does SKMC still do internal rankings by thirds? Or have they done away with that?

I'm not a current student but I've spoken to a few about this. Yeah, they still have it apparently. When you apply for residencies, your ranking in the class is specified on your MSPE. Your ranking is weighed 20:80, with 20% being based on pre-clinical year grades and 80% on clinical year grades. Pretty much every school has clinical year rankings, so with 20% coming from preclinical grades at Jefferson I don't think it's too big of a deal.

If another current student sees this and something I said wasn't accurate, please correct me though.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a current student but I've spoken to a few about this. Yeah, they still have it apparently. When you apply for residencies, your ranking in the class is specified on your MSPE. Your ranking is weighed 20:80, with 20% being based on pre-clinical year grades and 80% on clinical year grades. Pretty much every school has clinical year rankings, so with 20% coming from preclinical grades at Jefferson I don't think it's too big of a deal.

If another current student sees this and something I said wasn't accurate, please correct me though.
Current student here, and I can confirm this is accurate!

Reactions: 3 users
For those who are interested in Philly schools, can anyone comment on SKMC vs DUCOM vs. Temple. Pros and cons of each and maybe why you would choose one over another.

For those who are interested in Philly schools, can anyone comment on SKMC vs DUCOM vs. Temple. Pros and cons of each and maybe why you would choose one over another.
My personal strong preference is SKMC, mainly because of its location and reputation for having happy students. I also really like their evaluation and grading structures -- seems great for work-life balance. However, the class is large which could be a con to some people. I think the Center City location is by far the best of those programs.

I applied to Temple and DUCOM but did not interview and don't have as much to say. My understanding is that DUCOM is not near downtown, so less of the urban experience. Temple is in an underserved area and seems to care a lot about equity which I like. I have heard DUCOM is disorganized.

Reactions: 1 users
What I liked about SKMC is their association with some pretty competitive programs, like Wills Eye Hospital and Rothman Institute. Probably the best location within the city too. Everyone I've spoken to has been obsessed with the school, so it seems like they do a lot to make sure students are happy.

I've heard great things about Temple, they do a lot for their community and have lots of research opportunities too. But, it's definitely a different vibe in a rougher area so a lot of people tend to live further from campus. As someone who doesn't drive this would not be ideal tbh.

I've didn't apply to Drexel. I think the loss of Hahnemann hurt their reputation, but I heard not many students were rotating there anyways.

SKMC >>> Temple > Drexel

Reactions: 2 users
i recently was put on the HPWL. does anyone know when they may start pulling people off of it or how much movement to expect? i’m trying to figure out when would be best to send a letter of continued interest.

i recently was put on the HPWL. does anyone know when they may start pulling people off of it or how much movement to expect? i’m trying to figure out when would be best to send a letter of continued interest.
When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, current M1 here and congrats to all who have been accepted and goodluck to those still waiting. As you begin your search for housing opportunities next year, if you have any questions in regards to *OFF-campus housing feel free to reach out and message me because I know the process can be difficult at times

II! Complete mid-July, sent an update last month. There were a couple interview dates in late March to choose from!

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
II! Complete mid-July, sent an update last month. There were a couple interview dates in late March to choose from!
congrats! Did you ever get an email telling you your app was reviewed?? The only thing I ever got was my secondary complete email lol

congrats! Did you ever get an email telling you your app was reviewed?? The only thing I ever got was my secondary complete email lol
Thank you! Nope, I just got the secondary complete email back in July, a confirmation of my update last month, and then the invite today!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Nope, I just got the secondary complete email back in July, a confirmation of my update last month, and then the invite today!
Sorry to be THAT person but which dates in March were available (if you remember)? I think they only interview Wednesdays so was every Wednesday open?

does anyone know how many more interview invites they will most likely send out?

Reactions: 4 users
Loved my interview experience there, lot's of positive energy! Is it usually 3 - 4 weeks before you get your result?

Are interviews done? I have nothing but radio silence since my submission and assessing whether it's worth sending a late update

Are interviews done? I have nothing but radio silence since my submission and assessing whether it's worth sending a late update
Adm. dean mentioned that they are conducting interviews until the end of March. I would definitely send an update. There is still hope, I believe!

• Love
Adm. dean mentioned that they are conducting interviews until the end of March. I would definitely send an update. There is still hope, I believe!
I sent one in like 2 weeks ago and still am waiting to hear back. I don't think there will be anything wrong with sending one in now.

Question for accepted students regarding financial aid. In the bannerweb finanacial aid elgibility section I just noticed it said we have to send a signed copy of parents 2019 tax return, did people email, fax, or mail this?

Also have people received financial aid packages yet? I was accepted in January, (FAFSA done since the fall) and it looks like they just now received it which is frustrating.

Any LM low 70s applicants recently accepted? Getting really neurotic waiting for my interview results, feel like my stats are too low compared to some of the accepted applicants here.

Any LM low 70s applicants recently accepted? Getting really neurotic waiting for my interview results, feel like my stats are too low compared to some of the accepted applicants here.
Didn’t even break 70 LM lol so I’m with you

Didn’t even break 70 LM lol so I’m with you
@benignradical although they'll probably still look your stats at the committee meeting since they are still considering your app holistically, i don't think stats at this point matter as much as they did pre-interview. the way i see it, if your stats didn't cut it, they wouldn't have invited you to the interview in the first place! you are as qualified as other applicants with higher/lower/same LM who got an interview! plus, sdn is not an accurate representation of ALL the accepted applicants - take it with a big grain of salt. im sure you killed it!

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! Top choice school, literally over the moon with joy.

I was complete in July, have sent two updates (both significant as I have been fortunate to have multiple publications and new volunteer positions this year) that I do not believe had any significant impact on my interview status, and dates were open in March.

Only posting so that everyone knows there is hope!

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
I also wanted to further spread hope. Interviewed here recently (within the the past 2 weeks) and the deans made it very clear the class was nowhere near full and that they were about halfway through the interview season. Stay strong everyone! There’s loads of IIs left! 🙂🙂

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 30 users
I also wanted to further spread hope. Interviewed here recently (within the the past 2 weeks) and the deans made it very clear the class was nowhere near full and that they were about halfway through the interview season. Stay strong everyone! There’s loads of IIs left! 🙂🙂
lets gooooooo

Reactions: 4 users
Would any accepted students mind sharing who they sent thank-yous to after the interview day? Obviously my student and faculty interviewer, but did anyone send them to the student admission directors, Deans Callahan and LoSasso, Luelito, Dean Lopez? Not sure how broad I should go.

Question for accepted students regarding financial aid. In the bannerweb finanacial aid elgibility section I just noticed it said we have to send a signed copy of parents 2019 tax return, did people email, fax, or mail this?

Also have people received financial aid packages yet? I was accepted in January, (FAFSA done since the fall) and it looks like they just now received it which is frustrating.

I scanned my parent's physical paper tax return and combined them into a PDF, then emailed it to the financial aid email. And I don't think they've sent out financial aid packages yet aside from a few students. People in the accepted students groupme have been talking about it and they haven't gotten them yet.

Would any accepted students mind sharing who they sent thank-yous to after the interview day? Obviously my student and faculty interviewer, but did anyone send them to the student admission directors, Deans Callahan and LoSasso, Luelito, Dean Lopez? Not sure how broad I should go.

I sent mine to just my two interviewers. I don't think it's necessary to send it to the rest of them individually or at all, but if you wanted to you could probably sent a general one to the entire admissions staff through the admissions email.

I only sent mine to the admissions email account but I imagine your method works equally as well!

Does anyone know if they send out interviews on specific days of the week? Or is it more random?

Should I lose hope? I submitted in July and still nothing :(

Should I lose hope? I submitted in July and still nothing :(
See the post above. It sounds like there's still a chance. Obviously not as great of a chance as the beginning of the cycle, but still!

Which email are you guys sending updates to, and are you guys attaching updates at PDFs or just making it the whole body of the email?

Which email are you guys sending updates to, and are you guys attaching updates at PDFs or just making it the whole body of the email?
I personally sent as a PDF when I sent mine a while back, though I don't know that it matters. I've seen people send them to the admission office email, or to the Dean of Admissions directly, or to one cc'ing the other.

I personally sent as a PDF when I sent mine a while back, though I don't know that it matters. I've seen people send them to the admission office email, or to the Dean of Admissions directly, or to one cc'ing the other.
so like did you just say something along the lines of:

"Hey Admissions,

I attached my update to this email.

Sincerely,
satdixon"

so like did you just say something along the lines of:

"Hey Admissions,

I attached my update to this email.

Sincerely,
satdixon"
I wouldn't say hey ;) But yeah just something to point out that you are submitting an update and it's the attachment.

Also received an II today. Complete mid-July, sent an update in Jan.

Edit: available dates are March 24 and March 31

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users