2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn... That is frustrating.
Incoming M1 here. If helpful at all, other M1s chose KP over schools as "low tier" as SLU, UC Davis, UC Riverside, and Tulane, while some other M1s chose KP over schools as "high tier" as UCSF, Harvard, NYU, and Hopkins. This shows how holistic their process is. If I had to guess, median stats may look something like USC's or UCSD's class profile, but with a larger range of higher and lower scores. Those with lower stats shouldn't be discouraged and should shoot their shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
im getting my MCAT score mid August so do you think they will send me a secondary after they get my score or before? My app was just verified so im getting alot of my secondaries right now!

im getting my MCAT score mid August so do you think they will send me a secondary after they get my score or before? My app was just verified so im getting alot of my secondaries right now!
It sounds like it will be coming after your score or at least later than in the next few days. Lots of people have been waiting a couple weeks for secondaries (even those with MCAT scores).

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was verified 7/10 with the first batch but was pending an MCAT score until yesterday. I got secondaries the same day from two of my schools who were waiting for MCAT scores, but haven't heard anything yet from Tyson. We'll see! I'm a non-trad with lower stats.

[EDIT]: Secondary received just shortly after posting this - the day after my MCAT score came in. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My application was verified 7/10 with the first batch but was pending an MCAT score until yesterday. I got secondaries the same day from two of my schools who were waiting for MCAT scores, but haven't heard anything yet from Tyson. We'll see! I'm a non-trad URM with lower stats (3.4 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA) and a 510 MCAT, but have research and a solid public health career working in my favor.
I was verified in June and had my MCAT and all letters ready and still haven't gotten a secondary here yet. I'm going to wait through this week before bothering them with an email. You're not alone!

Reactions: 1 user
I got verified this morning and received a secondary from Kaiser just now. Not sure if they're systematically sending secondaries or if it's random.. but wanted to add to the discussion above. No pending MCAT scores and my last letter was uploaded this morning.

I got verified this morning and received a secondary from Kaiser just now. Not sure if they're systematically sending secondaries or if it's random.. but wanted to add to the discussion above. No pending MCAT scores and my last letter was uploaded this morning.
Are you referring to AMCAS verification by the AAMC or primary verification by Kaiser?

Incoming M1 here. If helpful at all, other M1s chose KP over schools as "low tier" as SLU, UC Davis, UC Riverside, and Tulane, while some other M1s chose KP over schools as "high tier" as UCSF, Harvard, NYU, and Hopkins. This shows how holistic their process is. If I had to guess, median stats may look something like USC's or UCSD's class profile, but with a larger range of higher and lower scores. Those with lower stats shouldn't be discouraged and should shoot their shot.
Are a lot of incoming MS1s research-oriented? I'm trying to get a vibe for this school and it seems like they do value research but based on their mission, I'm not too sure.

Are a lot of incoming MS1s research-oriented? I'm trying to get a vibe for this school and it seems like they do value research but based on their mission, I'm not too sure.
Yes, as far as I can tell, specifically research related to public health, clinical research, and health disparities. Some of us are doing the MD/PhD partnership with Caltech for more STEM related research, which is a few blocks away from campus.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an MCAT and all LOR but no secondary yet. hmm weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @MD4321 that it seems like most of the students have done some research. Lots of them have mentioned their research or shared it with us in our group chat stuff.

But for what it's worth, I got in with no formal research, so don't think it's viewed as an absolute requirement. By the same token my volunteering, clinical and otherwise, was pretty strong which I'm sure carried some weight that research would have.

I agree with @MD4321 that it seems like most of the students have done some research. Lots of them have mentioned their research or shared it with us in our group chat stuff.

But for what it's worth, I got in with no formal research, so don't think it's viewed as an absolute requirement. By the same token my volunteering, clinical and otherwise, was pretty strong which I'm sure carried some weight that research would have.
Thanks! I think 90%+ applicants have some sort of research but was wondering how research-oriented the school was -- as in do they want future medical researchers / academic medicine faculty or primarily clinicians. It seems like both, which makes this school quite well-rounded.

Another incoming M1 here. I think we seem to have a really solid balance of research and non research folks. I truly feel like our class has a lot of diverse experiences—a handful with masters, lab or clinical research, other careers before med school etc. I know this sounds cheesy, but it feels like they really just want people who are super passionate about what they do. Feel free to DM for more insight!

• Love
for current kaiser students: did any of y'all have lower stats like below 3.7, 515 mcat or know any current students with those stats?

515 really is not low y’all...This is a solid mid-high score. please be proud of yourself for a 515 lol. A 3.7 isnt low per say, but it might hold you back from *some* high tier schools (not sure if KPTSOM is one of them)

My stats were 3.85/515 (3.8s I think? Tbh it doesn’t matter anymore so idk). I interviewed in October and was accepted about 2 weeks after my interview. For what it’s worth, I had a pretty successful interview cycle otherwise (12 IIs). I withdrew from quite a few schools early on because I knew I was going to Kaiser.

It seems as if most of our classmates had similar interview cycles but I’m not sure what the common denominator between all of us is. There is a handful of students (maybe ~7-10 out of 50) who got off the waitlist. All this being said, they did say that they interviewed way more people than they were planning to last year (I think there were 25 people at each interview day). I feel like they could be more selective this year to make their lives easier OR they might not because virtual interviews won’t be as much as a hassle. Who knows! I’m just word vomiting now.

Reactions: 7 users
I said it before but I'll gladly say it again! I think the class is very diverse, so they're not just looking for stats. Not to say that stats aren't important, but there are nontrads, LGBTQ students, URMs, research-lite, research-heavy, etc. Every person is pretty unique. It's impressive given the relatively small class size. And I'd say about half are OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
Is Kaiser LGBTQ friendly? I am debating whether to disclose this information in my essays or not. Couldn't find much on their website

The Dean of Kaiser wrote this article on his experience being gay in medicine. So to answer your question, they are not just LGBTQ friendly, they are advocates of LGBTQ rights.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

I am also awaiting a secondary... I am retaking the MCAT in August so I’m not sure if they wait for that score first?

I am also awaiting a secondary... I am retaking the MCAT in August so I’m not sure if they wait for that score first?
I took it two years ago and have been verified since June 2.

• Hmm
Even though they say they don't screen, the transmission might be a manual process. If that is the case, I wouldn't be worried about the delay because the school just opened and everyone is super busy.

Did kaiser or current students share Inaugural class statistics?

Has MSAR published any stats on Kaiser's first class?

Anybody know how many more letters we can send to Kaiser after our premed committee letter? Zero, one, two, three, sixty-nine? Or should we just submit six individual letters and not even do the committee letter?

Anybody know how many more letters we can send to Kaiser after our premed committee letter? Zero, one, two, three, sixty-nine? Or should we just submit six individual letters and not even do the committee letter?

I've emailed and called with this same question & haven't heard back :(

I read on the website that they don’t screen. I got the primary notification 4+ hours ago and still haven’t gotten a secondary either. I’m also IS.
I got it 2 days ago and still no 2ry. My friend never received a primary receipt but got the 2ry. Im so confused

If anyone got accepted into Kaiser, what were your stats? (if you are willing to share :)

I love how Kaiser has been saying stats for the first class will be released "soon" since the end of May and it's literally been 2 whole months now..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I love how Kaiser has been saying stats for the first class will be released "soon" since the end of May and it's literally been 2 whole months now..

they’re trying to get all that app $$ before anyone sees the stats and loses hope

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
they’re trying to get all that app $$ before anyone sees the stats and loses hope
I appreciate the cynicism! However, I don’t think the app $$ is a big concern. I won’t go into specifics, but KP has set aside many millions for KPSOM. I’m not sure why they went with the cheap secondary option (I believe it’s $40) instead of completely free, but even 10,000 applications would only be 400k. That would approximately be equivalent to the financial support of one student at KPSOM.

I appreciate the cynicism! However, I don’t think the app $$ is a big concern. I won’t go into specifics, but KP has set aside many millions for KPSOM. I’m not sure why they went with the cheap secondary option (I believe it’s $40) instead of completely free, but even 10,000 applications would only be 400k. That would approximately be equivalent to the financial support of one student at KPSOM.
Now that I think about it, I found a reasonable answer as to why they retained the secondary fee. They made it cheap enough to be a low barrier to entry, but not completely free because otherwise they would be inundated by apps from literally every single applicant in the country hoping for a free medical education. High matriculant stats be damned! I don't even want to imagine the logistical nightmare of going through ~30-40,000 apps without screening, much less how they did 10,000 last year :eek:

I've been an employee of KP for some years now so I'm hoping that'll do me some good.

Happy to help if people have questions. I don't know average stats or competitiveness, but just at a glance, most of the OOS students (most, not all!) hail from top OOS schools. However, I think the class is very diverse! From our limited group interactions, minorities, nontrads, LBTQ, big universities, small liberal arts colleges, and more were well-represented.

Also, the inaugural class size has very recently been updated to 50 students. I am not too surprised at the expansion, but I do not know if the upcoming cycle's class size will be the same. I hope so, as more the merrier!

While there are a handful or so of students giving up top medical schools to enroll at Kaiser, the larger majority are not. There‘s also a pretty heavy sales pitch to convince admitted students to enroll. Even though it’s tuition free, there are students (even from lower-tiered schools) wary of the school and only accepted after the heavy marketing.

Is there in state bias for this school?

A
While there are a handful or so of students giving up top medical schools to enroll at Kaiser, the larger majority are not. There‘s also a pretty heavy sales pitch to convince admitted students to enroll. Even though it’s tuition free, there are students (even from lower-tiered schools) wary of the school and only accepted after the heavy marketing.
how do you know this? Where you are able to speak comfortably about the “larger majority” and “heavy marketing”? Were you accepted?

I’ll take the bait. This is demonstrably false. The retention for accepted MD/PhD students was 100%. They gave up MSTP spots. The retention for MD students was at least 50%.

I won’t deny the sales pitch and money, but it worked for NYU too ;)

I’ll take the bait. This is demonstrably false. The retention for accepted MD/PhD students was 100%. They gave up MSTP spots. The retention for MD students was at least 50%.

I won’t deny the sales pitch and money, but it worked for NYU too ;)
I agree, but I would be confident saying at least 70% retention rate for MD only students

I agree, but I would be confident saying at least 70% retention rate for MD only students

other current student here, agreed.
To all the folks applying this cycle, please do keep asking questions and reaching out to students and admin/faculty at the school instead of taking things at face value from someone on a thread :) (this comment included! Don’t just believe me—feel free to reach out, my inbox is always open!)

I can only speak for my experience thus far but I don’t think I’ve ever been surrounded by so many passionate, wonderful, and caring people (both the faculty and other students). They have made it clear that they are choosing to invest in us so that we can go on to do truly innovative things in our careers. I can assure you it is not just a marketing ploy :)

70% yield is like harvard/hopkins tier yield...
I don’t know about other schools’ yield. All I did was some estimates based on what I have seen with the WL after May 30th, although there could have been people accepted off the WL who never joined fb or groupme. Us students don’t have access to stats. But I am confident it was greater than 50% and my guess is 70%.
I think it is useful to remember that 10,000+ people applied last year, ~1000 applicants were interviewed, and I have been accepted since early Feb so I saw most movement.

Question for current students:

Is Glenn Kaino's Tommie Smith artwork as amazing in real life as it looks in pictures?!

1596497965067.png

Question for current students:

Is Glenn Kaino's Tommie Smith artwork as amazing in real life as it looks in pictures?!

View attachment 314841
Yes! It's right in front of you when you walk in to the building. Also, the ceiling is basically all glass above this walkway so the sun hits the piece just right in the afternoon ;)

No one except the admissions committee knows the yield at this point. Perhaps 95% of students rejected Kaiser before even knowing much about the school. Perhaps all but a few students that were accepted ultimately matriculated. Some anectodal (i.e. unscientific) evidence I can provide:

Of the 43 accepted students on the Facebook page in April (towards the beginning), all but 6 of those people are current Kaiser students!

Some students likely rejected them before being added to the page, and there are a lot of unaccounted for factors of course. But I do think it goes to show that of the students who were undecided with weeks to decide, many chose Kaiser.