-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Kaiser (Tyson)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anyone else see "Not recevied" next to Letter of Recommendations under the Status tab. But under the Document Status tabs my letters are all there marked as received.
I also see it!
@TheDataKing
- During your career as a physician, you will potentially encounter many obstacles and be required to overcome many challenges. Resilience is a prerequisite for success in medical school and beyond. Describe your experience with a situation that had an unfavorable outcome. How did you react, and how might you have responded differently? What did you learn about yourself? (250 words)
- Kaiser Permanente is nationally recognized for its achievements in the realm of equity, inclusion, and diversity. How will you contribute to the diversity of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine? (250 words)
- Lifelong learning is an essential process for continued professional development in physicians that includes reflection and being open and responsive to constructive feedback. Tell us about an area of intellectual exploration you are passionate about and have sustained over time. What means have you used to explore this area? (250 words)
- Please describe how you have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic (Optional)
So is the COVID prompt unlimited characters? Or still 250?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1039724
When I looked it didn’t say that there was a limit, so I assume unlimited. It seemed like they want a pretty simple answer though, but state how it actually affected you (cancelled ECs, virtual classes, etc) and then maybe a bit of reflection but nothing too crazySo is the COVID prompt unlimited characters? Or still 250?
Anyone receive a secondary without an MCAT score?
How are y'all abbreviating "Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine"?
I believe the school uses KPTSOM!How are y'all abbreviating "Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine"?
I said the Tyson School of Medicine, kind of similar to "Miller School of Medicine" for Miami
I believe they refer to themselves at KPSOM.How are y'all abbreviating "Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine"?
Search Results
Secondary received. But is anyone else not receiving an email that provides a link to create a password for their secondary application login? This is happening for SUNY Downstate as well...
Not to ask the obvious question, but did you check your spam folder?Secondary received. But is anyone else not receiving an email that provides a link to create a password for their secondary application login? This is happening for SUNY Downstate as well...
Not to ask the obvious question, but did you check your spam folder?
Nothing in my spam unfortunately :/
It just took some time! Was able to receive it.
Anyone receive a secondary without an MCAT score?
Also wondering this. I still haven't received a secondary but I also don't have an MCAT score yet.
I submitted my secondary last night, and I still see that my LORs are "not received" even though when I click, they're all there. If anyone knows how to fix this or sees that it goes away, please let me know!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm seeing this too. I think that maybe they will update the portal on Monday morning and the letters will be marked as received. I plan on giving them a couple days and then maybe calling to ask.I submitted my secondary last night, and I still see that my LORs are "not received" even though when I click, they're all there. If anyone knows how to fix this or sees that it goes away, please let me know!
I'm seeing this too. I think that maybe they will update the portal on Monday morning and the letters will be marked as received. I plan on giving them a couple days and then maybe calling to ask.
Mine was the same but shifted to "complete and awaiting review" this morning. Email confirmation as completed from admissions, as well.
Yay! Me too!Mine was the same but shifted to "complete and awaiting review" this morning. Email confirmation as completed from admissions, as well.
bananabeauxt
Full Member
I emailed them about this, and from what they said it seems like it just takes time for the application portal to be updatedDoes anyone else see "Not recevied" next to Letter of Recommendations under the Status tab. But under the Document Status tabs my letters are all there marked as received.
ozzyman987
Full Member
+1 IS URM
I don't know of any other accepted students' specific stats, I'd feel weird asking. I think in my creeping around on SDN last cycle I found that accepted students were pretty well off.for current kaiser students: did any of y'all have lower stats like below 3.7, 515 mcat or know any current students with those stats?
One of the questions I asked at second look was for information and stats about the accepted students. This was mostly to see what the reputation of the students, class, and school would be. Like if the averages were 3.3 501 then I would think different than if it was 3.95 522...but they didn't give me anything specific. They did say they turned down multiple perfect MCAT scores and other fancy accolades that I forgot, but that was enough to convince me the students were all strong applicants.
A few other students have asked them for average gpas and mcat stuff but they have been quiet about stats so far for us too. I think when the public finds out we will find out too, so when it somes on MSAR we will know. I would expect an update on stats sometime soon though, they've said stats will be put on MSAR once the class is finalized.
If I had to guess, I'd say the stats will be pretty good. Maybe 517-519 and 3.85? This might bite me in the butt when the stats come out but thats my guess.
D
deleted853360
for current kaiser students: did any of y'all have lower stats like below 3.7, 515 mcat or know any current students with those stats?
I’m not a current student but I do know of someone who was accepted with a cumulative and science gpa between 3.0-3.3 (After a postbacc) and a 506-508 MCAT. They were in-state if that helps some.
I heard that stats are coming out later this month. Your guess seems fair. I feel like Kaiser will be similar to Mayo (MN), with good/high median stats but also a wide range. Both schools seem to be genuinely holistic and value mission fit above all else. Did you get a similar impression?I don't know of any other accepted students' specific stats, I'd feel weird asking. I think in my creeping around on SDN last cycle I found that accepted students were pretty well off.
One of the questions I asked at second look was for information and stats about the accepted students. This was mostly to see what the reputation of the students, class, and school would be. Like if the averages were 3.3 501 then I would think different than if it was 3.95 522...but they didn't give me anything specific. They did say they turned down multiple perfect MCAT scores and other fancy accolades that I forgot, but that was enough to convince me the students were all strong applicants.
A few other students have asked them for average gpas and mcat stuff but they have been quiet about stats so far for us too. I think when the public finds out we will find out too, so when it somes on MSAR we will know. I would expect an update on stats sometime soon though, they've said stats will be put on MSAR once the class is finalized.
If I had to guess, I'd say the stats will be pretty good. Maybe 517-519 and 3.85? This might bite me in the butt when the stats come out but thats my guess.
Absolutely. I definitely think stats weren't what the admissions committee was looking for first. The students are all really different in a good way.I heard that stats are coming out later this month. Your guess seems fair. I feel like Kaiser will be similar to Mayo (MN), with good/high median stats but also a wide range. Both schools seem to be genuinely holistic and value mission fit above all else. Did you get a similar impression?
They have said to me that the things every accepted student had are fantastic interviewing skills, skills that will let them excel when working in groups and teams, and strong passion in their areas of interest.
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
I submitted my secondary, but I'm missing one LOR. Do y'all think this will impact me negatively?
dcceelo
Full Member
I received my primary confirmation email on July 10 and I did not receive secondaries yet. I would not stress about it. I believe most people in the thread that received secondaries were verified and have an MCAT Score. I am not verified yet nor have I recieved my MCAT score.I’ve received confirmation that they received my primary, but no secondaries yet. Anyone else?
yu
yup so I called.I’ve received confirmation that they received my primary, but no secondaries yet. Anyone else?
What did they say? I submitted AMCAS 5/28 and was verified one of the earliest dates, and I have an MCAT, so not sure what the hold-up is on my secondary. I got the confirmation of primary receipt.yu
yup so I called.
nada. I sat on hold then they hung up. I emailed so if they respond ill let you guys know.What did they say? I submitted AMCAS 5/28 and was verified one of the earliest dates, and I have an MCAT, so not sure what the hold-up is on my secondary. I got the confirmation of primary receipt.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
Do they screen before sending secondaries?
no they do not.Do they screen before sending secondaries?
I got a response today. Brace yourself because it's very detailed.What did they say? I submitted AMCAS 5/28 and was verified one of the earliest dates, and I have an MCAT, so not sure what the hold-up is on my secondary. I got the confirmation of primary receipt.
Dear ______ All applicants who meet the requirements will receive a secondary application. Sincerely, Office of Admissions Kaiser Permanente School of Medicine |
D
deleted959268
I wont get my MCAT Score till late August do yall think I would have to wait for a secondary until then?
I wont get my MCAT Score till late August do yall think I would have to wait for a secondary until then?
I have everything complete and have yet to receive a secondary so...
Y'all....I wouldn't stress too much. There doesn't appear to be any queue for distributing secondaries. The folks that have received them have been all over the board as far as verification dates, MCAT status, etc. Kaiser doesn't screen and they are vocal about holistic review. AMCAS reported significantly higher first-week applicant volume. This is likely contributing to the bottleneck in secondaries. With that being said, in last year's thread, there were people with strong stats that were months out from verification that had not received secondaries. Those users reported success from emailing KPSOM and getting the secondary shortly after.
I want to chime in and say that this is a LONG process (in general as well). I was verified before the AMCAS release date so Kaiser had my primary from the very 1st date. It took a few - several days to receive their secondary. Then I submitted the secondary early-mid July. I did not receive an II til the very last day of October for an interview at the END of Jan.
The point of me saying all of this is, be patient and use this time to explore whatever you have wanted to explore before you start medical school! And best of luck!! I know everyone applying to medical school has sacrificed and put in a lot of hard work and know that it is not for nothing!
The point of me saying all of this is, be patient and use this time to explore whatever you have wanted to explore before you start medical school! And best of luck!! I know everyone applying to medical school has sacrificed and put in a lot of hard work and know that it is not for nothing!
Is Kaiser LGBTQ friendly? I am debating whether to disclose this information in my essays or not. Couldn't find much on their website
Yes!Is Kaiser LGBTQ friendly? I am debating whether to disclose this information in my essays or not. Couldn't find much on their website
I don't see why not as long as it's relevant to the prompt you're addressing. There are LGBTQ students in the inaugural class.Is Kaiser LGBTQ friendly? I am debating whether to disclose this information in my essays or not. Couldn't find much on their website
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same.Anyone else still not recieve secondary? OS and received notification of receipt of my primary app on 7/10 which said "we will be in contact with you as soon as possible" and never got anything else?? A little worried and thinking of emailing?
D
deleted1062667
Still no stats for the first class on MSAR or their website. Has anyone emailed admissions recently to see when they will come out?
No secondary yet, I am still waiting on an MCAT score
Still no stats for the first class on MSAR or their website. Has anyone emailed admissions recently to see when they will come out?
They just keep saying "soon" since the end of May to now lmao
They just keep saying "soon" since the end of May to now lmao
Based on last years "XYZ vs. Kaiser" I'm guessing they're gonna be up there with a 3.9 GPA and 520 MCAT. Just a hunch though. I'm also curious about their retention rate given free tuition vs. the risk of being part of an experiment lol