You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
plebienrebels
Full Member
Yeah I think got this too but I also received an email saying my secondary was submitted so I think its all good.Does anyone else still see "Application has not been submitted." next to Application File Complete, even after paying and submitting the supplemental application?
Is this normal? Confused as to whether my app is submitted or not.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dodoitlater
Full Member
Is anybody else still having trouble with the MSTP secondary? I sent an email and got no response. Has anybody tried calling?
I think everyone is still having trouble with the MSTP secondary (from the people I've talked to) so I wouldn't sweat it.
"Any significant gaps unaccounted for in my application" do not include gap years that are filled with activities mentioned in AMCAS right? That part is reserved only for like a leave of absence or something like that, correct?
I was wondering this as well
Were there any adverse circumstances in your premedical preparatory journey including but not limited to recent impact from COVID-19?
is it too trivial to say my experiments and volunteering were halted?
is it too trivial to say my experiments and volunteering were halted?
Does anyone know what they're looking for in the 100 character prompt for reapplicants? Do we just list the activities we have done since previous application and if we interviewed?
futuremd25!
Full Member
"Any significant gaps unaccounted for in my application" do not include gap years that are filled with activities mentioned in AMCAS right? That part is reserved only for like a leave of absence or something like that, correct?
Also wondering this if anyone can answerI was wondering this as well
D
deleted785419
Does anyone know what the summer enrichment program is and how ppl get selected for it?
Does anyone know what the summer enrichment program is and how ppl get selected for it?
What summer program are you talking about?
rocinan
New Member
I am wondering this as wellAlso wondering this if anyone can answer
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dodoitlater
Full Member
MD/PhD secondaries
I am a little confused about the research interest part. Are we supposed to choose from any researchers that we would like to meet during the interview? Or are there any restrictions?
Pretty sure it's just anybody, albeit they want some people who you would be interested in doing graduate research with. Also, for some reason it didn't let me submit with just four names just FYI.
D
deleted785419
for the unjust thing-- do you HAVE to address it? I was going to talk about corruption in my home country and how its impacted my family
Secondary Received! Applied today and received today.
SpreadKindness20
Full Member
If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (100 words)
Regarding this optional 100 worder, my impression is they are inviting applicants to specifically discuss major challenges related to identity or circumstance, as opposed to a more broad diversity prompt that is equally interested in unique work/travel/life experiences. Do others agree?
thats the way I interpreted it, so I left it blank instead of adding a short version of my usual diversity essayRegarding this optional 100 worder, my impression is they are inviting applicants to specifically discuss major challenges related to identity or circumstance, as opposed to a more broad diversity prompt that is equally interested in unique work/travel/life experiences. Do others agree?
altruistic_hopeful
Full Member
Under affiliation with Mt. Sinai, I have worked at a lab during one of my high schools summers there. Is there a place I can write this? The affiliation section only include official programs.
altruistic_hopeful
Full Member
is there a place in the secondary where we can mention that we've worked at a lab at Mt Sinai? it wasn't part of an official summer program or anything, just with a post doc
Is it just me or is the word count in the optional prompt off? It only lets me put in 99 words for a 100 word prompt
Edit: When I copy paste it in, the word count gets messed up, but if I manually type it all out, it's fine :'(
Edit: When I copy paste it in, the word count gets messed up, but if I manually type it all out, it's fine :'(
Last edited:
D
deleted1044561
Yes, since they have another short gap year essay."Any significant gaps unaccounted for in my application" do not include gap years that are filled with activities mentioned in AMCAS right? That part is reserved only for like a leave of absence or something like that, correct?
D
deleted785419
Hey I forgot to add covid impact in the secondary am I gonna get an R if I include it in the file upload?
Does anyone know if MCAT scores are needed for interviews? My secondary is in, I tested this weekend so no scores yet
altruistic_hopeful
Full Member
what is an R?Hey I forgot to add covid impact in the secondary am I gonna get an R if I include it in the file upload?
Rejectionwhat is an R?
wasn't that optional? now i'm worriedHey I forgot to add covid impact in the secondary am I gonna get an R if I include it in the file upload?
skyman89
Full Member
i didn't see any essays on covid impact in my secondary ... or did i miss it ripwasn't that optional? now i'm worried
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SpreadKindness20
Full Member
Minor point, but anyone find the word count on Icahn's secondary to be inaccurate by a word or two? Finding I have to trim off a few words on my essays.
Edit: saw poster above confirm this.
Edit: saw poster above confirm this.
Last edited:
For the adverse circumstances essay, should I use my adversity essay about a pretty trivial adversity (getting over my debilitating shyness) or, since it's optional, not? I feel like they want to only hear serious stuff if it's optional...
Really? Isnt an issue for meMinor point, but anyone find the word count on Icahn's secondary to be inaccurate by a word or two? Finding I have to trim off a few words on my essays.
Edit: saw poster above confirm this.
D
deleted1043308
Any thoughts about my essay topics?
Criticism: I received criticism from a guitar player I idolized about inauthenticity in my music.
Injustices: Organizing an alumni committee to write a letter to my high school about racial injustices at the school.
Criticism: I received criticism from a guitar player I idolized about inauthenticity in my music.
Injustices: Organizing an alumni committee to write a letter to my high school about racial injustices at the school.
Any thoughts about my essay topics?
Criticism: I received criticism from a guitar player I idolized about inauthenticity in my music.
Injustices: Organizing an alumni committee to write a letter to my high school about racial injustices at the school.
Both sound really interesting and impressive!
pick something elseFor the toughest feedback essay, I wrote about how the volunteer supervisor saw me use my phone while volunteering in the hospital. I did learn a hard lesson from it. But would this be a red flag since it happened in the medical setting? Should I write something else?
When "briefly describing" our activities for the upcoming year, how brief should we be? I'm mentioning that I transitioned from a CRC role in one hospital to another, but I'm not sure if they also want to hear a few details about what I do in the day-to-day? I recently started working in this new position and am still in the training phase so I don't have a whole lot to talk about, but also doesn't appear in my activities since I started working here after submitting my primary
Well you don’t get a lot of words, so even using the whole limit is briefWhen "briefly describing" our activities for the upcoming year, how brief should we be? I'm mentioning that I transitioned from a CRC role in one hospital to another, but I'm not sure if they also want to hear a few details about what I do in the day-to-day? I recently started working in this new position and am still in the training phase so I don't have a whole lot to talk about, but also doesn't appear in my activities since I started working here after submitting my primary
Well you don’t get a lot of words, so even using the whole limit is brief
After posting this question I realized there was a limit right under the text box haha. Whoops
PlzLetMeIntoMedSchool363
Full Member
any interview invites?
I wish
I looked at last year's II tracker spreadsheet and it looks like mount sinai doesn't start sending out interviews until late aug/early sept.
PlzLetMeIntoMedSchool363
Full Member
where can i find the tracker?I looked at last year's II tracker spreadsheet and it looks like mount sinai doesn't start sending out interviews until late aug/early sept.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an II this morning! MSTP, secondary submitted 7/13
31MDhopeful11
New Member
Has anyone that is active duty , applied and gotten in?
II just now!! Complete 7/17