2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HPWL OOS 2/26

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
anyone know if stony brook is receptive to matching other schools' scholarships?

Good luck this week to everyone waiting to hear back!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if stony brook is receptive to matching other schools' scholarships?

I would like to know this too, or at least the max scholarship that they're known to give out?

Reactions: 1 user
Also WL yesterday. Does anyone have a sense of how likely it is to get in off the regular waitlist?

• Care
Post-II R, Interviewed 02/12, bye-bye LI

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Placed on Regular waitlist after 01/12 interview. IS. Alumni of undergrad and grad school. Feelings still hurt lol

• Care
Placed on Regular waitlist after 01/12 interview. IS. Alumni of undergrad and grad school. Feelings still hurt lol
Same lol. Feels great to wait 3+ months for a WL :)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully tomorrow will be the day for us March interviewees!

Has anyone heard a decision post HPWL email/any WL movement at all?

Has anyone heard a decision post HPWL email/any WL movement at all?
They said at the info session before my interview that they won't start pulling from the waitlist until after April 30th

Reactions: 2 users
Guess no one heard anything today. Hopefully we’ll see something tomorrow

So is it safe to say the regular WL is essentially an R?

So is it safe to say the regular WL is essentially an R?
People have been pulled from the regular in the past. This year with online interviews, applications across schools were up 20-30%, there’s a lot of acceptances that won’t matriculate. But I also believe the waitlist may be bigger in expectation of this. There’s always a chance. But when you ask “is it safe” to assume it’s an R, yea it’s safe. And it’s smart. Prepare for the worst my friend, it’s the only thing we can do in the face of uncertainty.

Reactions: 3 users
Another week good luck everyone!

Damn still nothing. Wondering when they'll get around to people who interviewed in March

• Care
Does anyone here have insight on how much time you have to decide if they take you off the HPWL?

Damn still nothing. Wondering when they'll get around to people who interviewed in March
I don't know if this will help or hurt, but I was looking at the thread from last year, and it seemed like some people were just straight up ghosted post interview for some reason. There were a few people who didn't find out until late May what their decision was and some people who just withdrew without finding out. One person did state that they reached out to the office and was accepted just 10 minutes later. Not sure if any of this applies to you (or anyone else in this situation), but it can't hurt to reach out since it has likely been more than 6 weeks for you guys now. Hoping you all hear back soon!!

I don't know if this will help or hurt, but I was looking at the thread from last year, and it seemed like some people were just straight up ghosted post interview for some reason. There were a few people who didn't find out until late May what their decision was and some people who just withdrew without finding out. One person did state that they reached out to the office and was accepted just 10 minutes later. Not sure if any of this applies to you (or anyone else in this situation), but it can't hurt to reach out since it has likely been more than 6 weeks for you guys now. Hoping you all hear back soon!!
You saw this for March interviewers in last year's thread?

Also I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but did Barbara Miller at the admissions department say that we can contact them after 8 weeks if we haven't heard back. Pretty sure I remember her saying that just before the zoom interview but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
You saw this for March interviewers in last year's thread?
I saw it for February interviewees! So like I said, idk if it helps at all, but I’m sure you can at least reach out to put your mind at ease? She did say we can reach out after the 6-8 week timeframe

I saw it for February interviewees! So like I said, idk if it helps at all, but I’m sure you can at least reach out to put your mind at ease? She did say we can reach out after the 6-8 week timeframe
Awesome thanks. I'll probably reach out next week because this is week 8 for me so I think I'll ride the rest of the week out and see if anything happens

• Care
Does anyone here have insight on how much time you have to decide if they take you off the HPWL?
Was looking into this too. Although I'm not quite sure what the exact answer is, people receiving acceptances after April 30th usually have to make a final decision by a school's "commit to enroll deadline," which is typically in beginning to mid July.

From the AMCAS "Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants": "If you receive additional acceptances following April 30, it is your responsibility to promptly notify any school(s) you have decided to not attend. Your decision should be made by the deadline established by the medical school(s)."

I'm hoping more news would be given in an acceptance email. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Maybe we'll hear something today. They typically send some decisions on Thursdays and Fridays!

Did SBU give a time we have to hit PTE by? Another school said "end of the day"

I have no idea....but unless you are expecting an influx of key information this afternoon, you might as well just make that decision now. I wouldn't wait until midnight. ;)

HPWL interviewed early March. Has anyone gotten off the regular WL or HPWL yet this cycle?

• Love
HPWL interviewed early March. Has anyone gotten off the regular WL or HPWL yet this cycle?
Hey! SO happy to have you join the HPWL gang!! (and also so happy you finally heard back!!!) --> now the sad memes can be about this long AF wait! Last year, it seemed like people got pulled 2nd week of May!

Do we think everyone from the HPWL gets off? Last year I saw that both HPWL and regular WL received offers

HPWL just now, going to withdraw--goodluck everyone!

Something interesting I think I’ve noticed is that nobody who interviewed and got a decision prior to January was placed on HPWL. Could it be that some folks who were placed on the WL back then are actually within HPWL “range” now but that wasn’t apparent due to the small list size back then? Or perhaps people who interviewed prior to January that the committee wanted to put on the HPWL and not the regular WL just had to wait longer for their decision?

Hey! SO happy to have you join the HPWL gang!! (and also so happy you finally heard back!!!) --> now the sad memes can be about this long AF wait! Last year, it seemed like people got pulled 2nd week of May!
Thanks for the warm welcome! And yeah hopefully the wait won't be too long lmao

Was a specific percentage given on the probability of getting accepted from HPWL on the email? I'm on the normal waitlist and my email stated "At this time, we cannot predict how many applicants will ultimately be accepted off of the wait list. In the past, approximately 30% of the matriculating students were accepted from the wait list."

Was a specific percentage given on the probability of getting accepted from HPWL on the email? I'm on the normal waitlist and my email stated "At this time, we cannot predict how many applicants will ultimately be accepted off of the wait list. In the past, approximately 30% of the matriculating students were accepted from the wait list."
They didn't give a percentage. All they said was "based on our prior history of acceptances, the likelihood of us offering you a seat is very high."

Just withdrew - good luck to those on the waitlist! As a reapplicant, this process is unduley stressful but hang in there things do get better.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Just withdrew my A as I’ll be attending a school closer to home. GL waitlist homies

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! I heard that Stonybrook has switched to pass/fail for all preclinicals.

Would any current students lurking be able to confirm this??

Manifesting an A this week from the HPWL

• Care
Reactions: 5 users