2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since theres HPWL and regular WL, are the apps ranked?

Yeah apps are ranked at pretty much every school, even ones that don't designate a high priority waitlist in their decision to you. When schools pull from the waitlist, there's a priority order

Members don't see this ad.

If a schools started giving out WL and HPWL positions, would it be safe to say that they wouldn't be giving out any A (and just WL or Rs) for those who haven't heard back yet post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got on the HPWL a couple of weeks ago. Do any accepted students know when the second look is and if it is in person or virtual? I want to see if I can attend since I really want to learn more about the school, but I would only attend if it is virtual. Thank you!

I got on the HPWL a couple of weeks ago. Do any accepted students know when the second look is and if it is in person or virtual? I want to see if I can attend since I really want to learn more about the school, but I would only attend if it is virtual. Thank you!
When did you interview?

I was told 6-8 weeks during my interview.

I didn't *think* I saw anyone here post beyond that -- would love to know if anyone has heard anything beyond eight weeks as well.
(currently still waiting myself)
I was told 4-6 weeks. I’m on week 10 😂
I got put on HPWL after 13 weeks, so that 4-6 is definitely just a ballpark lol

Reactions: 1 user
Just dropped my spot hope one of ya'll hears soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are some fun things to do at Stonybrook?
Speaking from 0 experience (I'm from the West Coast), I've been chatting with a current MS4 at SB, and I've heard that there are actually a decent number of bars and coffee shops around, especially because the med school is on the university campus (campuses often cause businesses to aggregate nearby). Outside of that, SB is really close to nice beaches and has a pretty remarkable reach into the outdoors (Central Pine Barrens wilderness isn't unreasonably far, and the whole area is very woody and quiet). More socially, since many med students live in houses, house parties are apparently common enough. The area definitely sounds and looks very suburban, though, which I've heard can be an adjustment for folks coming from urban environments. To feel the vibrancy of city life, I think the only way to do so is by making the trip to NYC. LOL I am again very much not a current student or familiar with SB, but I hope this can still help!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who interviewed in early March heard back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed in early March heard back yet?
Interviewed 2/26 and haven't heard back. Looking back at this forum, it seems that there are still people from early February who have not heard back yet.

Interviewed 2/26 and haven't heard back. Looking back at this forum, it seems that there are still people from early February who have not heard back yet.

Still waiting from 01/12, I do not understand what makes them give decisions to some and skip over others.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
my 6 week mark post interview was last week, I hope they were just away for the spring break bc I just want an answer good or bad lol. has anyone from feb or march heard anything???

my 6 week mark post interview was last week, I hope they were just away for the spring break bc I just want an answer good or bad lol. has anyone from feb or march heard anything???
Nope , I just hit 6 weeks on Friday and I haven't heard anything yet as well

This is gonna be 5 weeks for me. Also nothing
5 weeks for me too! Based on trends, it appears that SB is taking the full 8 weeks to get back to interviewees, and in many instances, that period can be up to 12 weeks (even for HPWL and A's), so keep the hope up! Given the current situation, I have all the faith that the AdCom is doing the best they can and that promising news is on the way :) They're also required to let us know their preliminary decisions by April 30th, so we can rest a bit easier knowing that we will be hearing back in the next few weeks haha

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted today after interviewing 2/9. Has anyone heard of someone getting in from the regular wait list? I feel like if you're not high priority then its basically a rejection...

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been accepted or know anyone who's been accepted lately? Seems like it's all WLs rn

A just now! Interviewed 2/19, IS, LM 74, sent an update letter earlier today

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Guess that answers my question lmao

Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully us March interviewees are gonna hear back soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Likelihood that decisions continue today? do committees meet seldom?

• Haha
Does anyone know if there were rejections yet for people who interviewed? Or is that saved until the very end for some torturous reason.

Hopefully we'll hear more this week but I'm betting on Friday since the 15th is Thursday

does anyone know when they will assign the date for the second look tour?
I need to double-check but I believe they assigned each Friday this month as open dates for in-person second looks. They are also having a virtual second look this afternoon.

Anyone know what time decisions usually come out?

I apologize if this has been addressed earlier in the tread but I was wondering about supportive ( mental/ psychological)services available for the student at SB.