2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any word from February interviewees?
1/22 interviews heard back last week, so hopefully within the next week or two for end of Jan/early Feb!

Members don't see this ad.

1/22 interviews heard back last week, so hopefully within the next week or two for end of Jan/early Feb!
Lol some people that interviewed early Jan haven’t heard back yet :/ I interviewed 1/11 and I haven’t heard. Idk if that’s bad news or if they just go randomly

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been any communication from the school about second look? Confused if I missed the email, since it seems like most other schools have started giving out a date for the same.

Is there a dress code for the info session?
Typically, people in info sessions aren't evaluating you, so the dress code ends up being pretty chill. HOWEVER, I went into the Stony Brook info session with that mentality and confidently sported a polo (Legos from my childhood bedroom in full view behind me) while everyone else was either wearing a blazer, jacket, or full suit, so please take my wisdom with an ounce of salt, and it might be safest to present your best self in formal attire. Also, no one's going to take issue with you looking as spiffy and presentable as a 3-course snack whereas it might not be the best look to accidentally not meet an expected dress code (aka do what I did). So if you'd like to wear a formal dress/sweater/blazer combo or suit, go for it! Please excuse my rambling, and hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Are late interviews pretty much just to fill the waitlist or do Feb/March interviewees still have a chance for an A? Do any recent interviewees have As?

I didn't see any response to this. Posting again to see if anyone has some insight

Members don't see this ad :)
wondering the same thing
Has there been any communication from the school about second look? Confused if I missed the email, since it seems like most other schools have started giving out a date for the same.

I wasn't able to attend any of the information sessions, can anyone answer these questions about Stony Brook for me:

Can you claim NY residency after your first year to gain IS tuition for years 2-4?

Have they become true P/F? I read in a thread somewhere that due to COVID they went from H/P/F to P/F and that it might've been there to stay. Any help would be appreciated :)

I wasn't able to attend any of the information sessions, can anyone answer these questions about Stony Brook for me:

Can you claim NY residency after your first year to gain IS tuition for years 2-4?

Have they become true P/F? I read in a thread somewhere that due to COVID they went from H/P/F to P/F and that it might've been there to stay. Any help would be appreciated :)
Yes you can and yes they have according to a current M1

waitlisted :( interviewed 1/25

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
waitlisted, interviewed 1/29 :(

• Care
I'm still waiting for my response from a 1/11 interview....now I'm just wondering if my application got lost lol!

Waitlisted interviewed 1/15. I guess its not high priority so my chances of getting off are almost non-existent. I'm super bummed

• Care
WL, interviewed 1/29.

Anyone know what the odds are of getting off the waitlist? Also, do we just respond to the waitlist email like "Yes, I would like my name to be placed on the waitlist"? Or do we respond with like an actual email/LOI?

• Hmm
Waitlisted interviewed 1/15. I guess its not high priority so my chances of getting off are almost non-existent. I'm super bummed
With you on the waitlist. Any idea if there is significant movement from the WL? Or is it mostly from the HPWL? I know during my info session they said 28% of matriculants come off the waitlist, but they didn't mention if it was off the regular or HPWL.

Does anyone know when they make decisions for students on the HPWL about whether or not they have been accepted?

Anyone know if the IS tuition goes up by like 3% each year including the 4th year or if it goes down the 4th year like some other schools? Thanks!

This marks week 3 post interview for everyone who interviewed 3/1-3/5. Here's hoping we get some good news!

Does anyone remember the time frame for when we should expect to hear back post interview? Wondering if 9 weeks is normal or not.

Does anyone remember the time frame for when we should expect to hear back post interview? Wondering if 9 weeks is normal or not.
I was told 6-8 weeks during my interview.

I didn't *think* I saw anyone here post beyond that -- would love to know if anyone has heard anything beyond eight weeks as well.
(currently still waiting myself)

I was told 6-8 weeks during my interview.

I didn't *think* I saw anyone here post beyond that -- would love to know if anyone has heard anything beyond eight weeks as well.
(currently still waiting myself)
Answering myself for anyone who is interested: Unless I missed it, no one has shared a >8 week acceptance, but plenty of Waitlists/HP waitlists, and Rs after 8 weeks.
Generally acceptance are done by week 6, then waitlists/rejection start getting sent greater than 6 weeks, all the way up to 12 and 16 weeks out.

Can someone clarify the grading / student ranking process at Stony Brook ? MSAR indicates preclinical years are a mix of P/F and graded. I've seen suggestions that this is permanently changing to completely P/F for preclinical years beginning this 2021-2022 school year. Can anyone confirm / deny ?

Withdrawing my acceptance here, good luck friends! SBU seems like a great school, just couldn't afford to attend

• Care
Answering myself for anyone who is interested: Unless I missed it, no one has shared a >8 week acceptance, but plenty of Waitlists/HP waitlists, and Rs after 8 weeks.
Generally acceptance are done by week 6, then waitlists/rejection start getting sent greater than 6 weeks, all the way up to 12 and 16 weeks out.
Can anyone confirm? Did anyone get accepted after 6 weeks? Just curious

Can anyone confirm? Did anyone get accepted after 6 weeks? Just curious
Clarifying: *generally* acceptances were done by 6 weeks.
The max time elapsed shared was 7.5 weeks (53 days) for an acceptance.
Plenty of people hit 40-48 day mark, so lots of just-over-6-week acceptances.

BUT -- (saving us both some hope here perhaps? Or causing us more pain?) -- the overwhelming majority of these acceptances are pre-new years, and I feel like their wait times may not be as relevant now.

I was told 4-6 weeks. I’m on week 10 😂

Can someone clarify the grading / student ranking process at Stony Brook ? MSAR indicates preclinical years are a mix of P/F and graded. I've seen suggestions that this is permanently changing to completely P/F for preclinical years beginning this 2021-2022 school year. Can anyone confirm / deny ?
Current student. Preclincal was H/P/F for most courses and P/F for others pre-covid. Covid kinda changed everything to P/F. There are rumors that all the preclinical courses will be completely P/F, but this has not been confirmed yet. Personally, I think it will end up going P/F (since Step1 will now be P/F), but nothing has been officially decided as I know of yet.

Wow
Did you try contacting them?

Yeah I did. The message read:

“Please be advised that we will contact you as soon as the Committee on Admissions renders a final decision on your candidacy.”

I’m pretty disappointed at this sort of treatment.

Did you guys submit updates through the portal or email them to the admissions office? If you did it through the portal did you still let the office know?

Did you guys submit updates through the portal or email them to the admissions office? If you did it through the portal did you still let the office know?
Our interview coordinator said that they don’t have time to go and individually check everyone’s file for updates so if you’d like to send something - you should email to admissions as well. Good luck!

Our interview coordinator said that they don’t have time to go and individually check everyone’s file for updates so if you’d like to send something - you should email to admissions as well. Good luck!
Yeah I was told to email as well. But to upload it too. Do both to be safe.