You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Stony Brook
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
astrocyte1999
Full Member
Does Stony Brook give post II rejections or is it just waitlist?
joshuamarcus
Full Member
A! interviewed 2-3 weeks ago
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nycccpremed
Full Member
Accepted Today! International Student! Interviewed 10/22 🙂
A earlier this morning!! Interviewed 10/22
nycccpremed
Full Member
For people who got the A today! Huge congrats!!! Do you know if accepting the offer means that it is binding or do we get to potentially change in April once all the fin aid stuff is sorted? I’m confused since they didn’t talk about whether it’s binding or not
They also do waitlistsDoes Stony Brook give post II rejections or is it just waitlist?
The email says that you have to send an email saying you intend to enroll. They also said if you decide to go somewhere else, you should send them an email stating you'd like to withdraw your acceptance. I do not think it's binding I'm assuming, until a later date. Please correct me if I am wrong.For people who got the A today! Huge congrats!!! Do you know if accepting the offer means that it is binding or do we get to potentially change in April once all the fin aid stuff is sorted? I’m confused since they didn’t talk about whether it’s binding or not
The email says that you have to send an email saying you intend to enroll. They also said if you decide to go somewhere else, you should send them an email stating you'd like to withdraw your acceptance. I do not think it's binding I'm assuming, until a later date. Please correct me if I am wrong.
It shouldn't be binding. We only have to finalize our school around April. So we can hold on to all the acceptances and come down to 3 schools and then 1 school in the spring.
Did anyone who interviewed on 10/30 hear back today?
grizz411
Full Member
Not exactly, but 10/29 and havent heard back yet 🙂 we're likely part of the next batchDid anyone who interviewed on 10/30 hear back today?
lovepickles
Full Member
i interviewed mid-october and that makes me nervous bc i haven't heard back yet 🙁
SavingLives101
Full Member
Does Stony Brook release pre-II rejections? I was complete 7/30 and I still have not heard a thing from them.
I'm an in-state applicant and have fairly good stats
Seeing II's from people who were complete in Aug and Sep makes me think it's a lost cause for me at this point. 🙁
I'm an in-state applicant and have fairly good stats
Seeing II's from people who were complete in Aug and Sep makes me think it's a lost cause for me at this point. 🙁
Last edited:
BeepboopCosmic2019
Full Member
I have the exact same stats as you and was complete 7/14. I haven't heard anything from Stony yet either. I went to SBU for undergrad and am a re-applicant, I got waitlisted here last cycle. I don't know why we haven't heard anything from them...Does Stony Brook release pre-II rejections? I was complete 7/30 and I still have not heard a thing from them.
I'm an in-state applicant and have fairly good stats - GPA 3.93 and MCAT 516.
Seeing II's from people who were complete in Aug and Sep makes me think it's a lost cause for me at this point. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
applicant20
Full Member
I have the exact same stats as you and was complete 7/14. I haven't heard anything from Stony yet either. I went to SBU for undergrad and am a re-applicant, I got waitlisted here last cycle. I don't know why we haven't heard anything from them...
Hey I know of many others complete in July who are still waiting (at Stonybrook and every other school) so don't lose hope! Being complete early is always a good thing because your app might be getting reviewed at multiple meetings throughout the cycle
If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who interviewed and got waitlisted do you have any idea why? Like did the way your interview go correlate with their decision?
BeepboopCosmic2019
Full Member
I was still in college when I interviewed and in hindsight I didn't have enough clinical exposure and experiences to be as competitive. I've worked hard since then and accumulated over 600 clinical hours and learned so much!Hey I know of many others complete in July who are still waiting (at Stonybrook and every other school) so don't lose hope! Being complete early is always a good thing because your app might be getting reviewed at multiple meetings throughout the cycle
If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who interviewed and got waitlisted do you have any idea why? Like did the way your interview go correlate with their decision?
joshuamarcus
Full Member
Does sbu give any merit aid to orm applicants? I know they have one for urm
Anyone who interviewed 10/6 hear back yet?
lovepickles
Full Member
anyone who interviewed 10/16 hear back?
II this morning! Completed 8/3
Me chilling with my 09/29 interview and still no news 😢
buddy im 9/14. I think we have a long way to go LOLMe chilling with my 09/29 interview and still no news 😢
astrocyte1999
Full Member
Based on last year's thread, the people who interviewed and didn't hear back yet were put on either the waitlist or the high priority waitlist.
Can anyone who interviewed here speak on the overall vibe of the interview? How was the stress level? My interview is surprising close and I’m shook.
low stress, quite conversational. if you've prepped for any other interview the only thing you have left to consider is why stony brook
II for MSTP today!! Completed Mid-October. Any perspectives from current mstp/md students?
D
deleted1054798
Idk if this a dumb question. I was very happy to have an interview here on 10/1 but not having heard back I’m going to assume waitlist. I thought my interview was conversational and very relaxed and the interviewer complimented me on my journey and app. Does this basically mean that there’s no way to read how interviews went or how much they matter to ur entire app? Anyone else in the same boat?
Idk if this a dumb question. I was very happy to have an interview here on 10/1 but not having heard back I’m going to assume waitlist. I thought my interview was conversational and very relaxed and the interviewer complimented me on my journey and app. Does this basically mean that there’s no way to read how interviews went or how much they matter to ur entire app? Anyone else in the same boat?
During my interview today they said it could take 6-8 weeks, sometimes a bit longer even to hear a decision. You still have 2 weeks to go until you reach the end of that time frame and even if you don't hear anything then it doesn't indicate anything! I know it's pretty much impossible but try not to worry about it, you're still golden. Also, the admissions assistant said that if we don't hear anything after 8 weeks we could feel free to contact them whenever for an update or something.
D
deleted1054798
Thanks BossDuring my interview today they said it could take 6-8 weeks, sometimes a bit longer even to hear a decision. You still have 2 weeks to go until you reach the end of that time frame and even if you don't hear anything then it doesn't indicate anything! I know it's pretty much impossible but try not to worry about it, you're still golden. Also, the admissions assistant said that if we don't hear anything after 8 weeks we could feel free to contact them whenever for an update or something.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lovepickles
Full Member
I feel the same way!! I interviewed on 10/16 and my interviewers complimented me but no news 🙁 I'm sadIdk if this a dumb question. I was very happy to have an interview here on 10/1 but not having heard back I’m going to assume waitlist. I thought my interview was conversational and very relaxed and the interviewer complimented me on my journey and app. Does this basically mean that there’s no way to read how interviews went or how much they matter to ur entire app? Anyone else in the same boat?
Not to put a damper on things, but I think in general interviews are generally positives for most people. it can be true that your interviewers were being genuine (which I believe they were), but other factors are still important for the post interview decision. referring to the LizzyM staircase analogy i think is of good use here. if all of us are generally likable people, which i'm inclined to believe, it also means that having a positive interview experience may not push your app one way or the other. the unfortunate part is only some of us will get A's despite so many doing well.
MechanicToMed
Full Member
II received today!! 2' sent 9/4. Also, I am in state, non trad, URM, NY Jets fan, dog lover.
To answer an above question - Earliest date open for me was mid January.
To answer an above question - Earliest date open for me was mid January.
GarytheGoat
Full Member
Not sure of one and there most likely won't be a real one for a while but we could always start one now!Does anyone know of an accepted students group or something of the sort? Really want to connect with future classmates!
lovepickles
Full Member
this friday hits 6 weeks and nothing from stony brook... what does this mean?
it means you continue the waiting game. plenty of people on last year's thread got in after a large delaythis friday hits 6 weeks and nothing from stony brook... what does this mean?
lovepickles
Full Member
yay!! ty 🙂it means you continue the waiting game. plenty of people on last year's thread got in after a large delay
this friday hits 6 weeks and nothing from stony brook... what does this mean?
During my interview they said 6-8 weeks, and that if it's slightly after 8 weeks you can email them to inquire about your status. I'd say you're still fine!
lovepickles
Full Member
thank you friend 🙂During my interview they said 6-8 weeks, and that if it's slightly after 8 weeks you can email them to inquire about your status. I'd say you're still fine!
Trying to understand if OOS students need only pay out of state tuition the first year and then can drop down to in-state for last three years. Can anyone say definitively ? Residency eligibility on their website indicates living in the state "only for purposes of college" does not define residency. But in several places on SDN I have seen that after 12 months you pay in-state tuition. Anyone ?
spicedlatte
New Member
Hello, I have a current MS2 OOS friend at stony and she confirms that you can apply for IS tuition after ur M1!Trying to understand if OOS students need only pay out of state tuition the first year and then can drop down to in-state for last three years. Can anyone say definitively ? Residency eligibility on their website indicates living in the state "only for purposes of college" does not define residency. But in several places on SDN I have seen that after 12 months you pay in-state tuition. Anyone ?
Anyone hear back recently?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lovepickles
Full Member
nope and its over 6 weeks 🙁Anyone hear back recently?
Tomorrow is 9 for me, I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm not getting accepted lolnope and its over 6 weeks 🙁
IS or OOS ? Maybe OOS have a longer wait ?Tomorrow is 9 for me, I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm not getting accepted lol
OOSIS or OOS ? Maybe OOS have a longer wait ?
lovepickles
Full Member
yeah today is a little over 6 weeks for me :'( im OOSTomorrow is 9 for me, I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm not getting accepted lol