2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my first acceptance (Stony brook) !!! Interviewed on 10/27!!! I'm shaking!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted Today! International Student! Interviewed 10/22 :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
A earlier this morning!! Interviewed 10/22

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
A this morning! Interviewed 10/19.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
For people who got the A today! Huge congrats!!! Do you know if accepting the offer means that it is binding or do we get to potentially change in April once all the fin aid stuff is sorted? I’m confused since they didn’t talk about whether it’s binding or not

Reactions: 1 user
For people who got the A today! Huge congrats!!! Do you know if accepting the offer means that it is binding or do we get to potentially change in April once all the fin aid stuff is sorted? I’m confused since they didn’t talk about whether it’s binding or not
The email says that you have to send an email saying you intend to enroll. They also said if you decide to go somewhere else, you should send them an email stating you'd like to withdraw your acceptance. I do not think it's binding I'm assuming, until a later date. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The email says that you have to send an email saying you intend to enroll. They also said if you decide to go somewhere else, you should send them an email stating you'd like to withdraw your acceptance. I do not think it's binding I'm assuming, until a later date. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It shouldn't be binding. We only have to finalize our school around April. So we can hold on to all the acceptances and come down to 3 schools and then 1 school in the spring.

Reactions: 1 users
i interviewed mid-october and that makes me nervous bc i haven't heard back yet :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Stony Brook release pre-II rejections? I was complete 7/30 and I still have not heard a thing from them.
I'm an in-state applicant and have fairly good stats

Seeing II's from people who were complete in Aug and Sep makes me think it's a lost cause for me at this point. :(

Last edited:
  • Care
Does Stony Brook release pre-II rejections? I was complete 7/30 and I still have not heard a thing from them.
I'm an in-state applicant and have fairly good stats - GPA 3.93 and MCAT 516.

Seeing II's from people who were complete in Aug and Sep makes me think it's a lost cause for me at this point. :(
I have the exact same stats as you and was complete 7/14. I haven't heard anything from Stony yet either. I went to SBU for undergrad and am a re-applicant, I got waitlisted here last cycle. I don't know why we haven't heard anything from them...

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I have the exact same stats as you and was complete 7/14. I haven't heard anything from Stony yet either. I went to SBU for undergrad and am a re-applicant, I got waitlisted here last cycle. I don't know why we haven't heard anything from them...

Hey I know of many others complete in July who are still waiting (at Stonybrook and every other school) so don't lose hope! Being complete early is always a good thing because your app might be getting reviewed at multiple meetings throughout the cycle

If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who interviewed and got waitlisted do you have any idea why? Like did the way your interview go correlate with their decision?

• Care
Hey I know of many others complete in July who are still waiting (at Stonybrook and every other school) so don't lose hope! Being complete early is always a good thing because your app might be getting reviewed at multiple meetings throughout the cycle

If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who interviewed and got waitlisted do you have any idea why? Like did the way your interview go correlate with their decision?
I was still in college when I interviewed and in hindsight I didn't have enough clinical exposure and experiences to be as competitive. I've worked hard since then and accumulated over 600 clinical hours and learned so much!

• Love
  • Care
Does sbu give any merit aid to orm applicants? I know they have one for urm

Anyone who interviewed 10/6 hear back yet?

Me chilling with my 09/29 interview and still no news :cryi:

• Care
Based on last year's thread, the people who interviewed and didn't hear back yet were put on either the waitlist or the high priority waitlist.

Can anyone who interviewed here speak on the overall vibe of the interview? How was the stress level? My interview is surprising close and I’m shook.

Can anyone who interviewed here speak on the overall vibe of the interview? How was the stress level? My interview is surprising close and I’m shook.

low stress, quite conversational. if you've prepped for any other interview the only thing you have left to consider is why stony brook

II for MSTP today!! Completed Mid-October. Any perspectives from current mstp/md students?

• Love
Idk if this a dumb question. I was very happy to have an interview here on 10/1 but not having heard back I’m going to assume waitlist. I thought my interview was conversational and very relaxed and the interviewer complimented me on my journey and app. Does this basically mean that there’s no way to read how interviews went or how much they matter to ur entire app? Anyone else in the same boat?

Idk if this a dumb question. I was very happy to have an interview here on 10/1 but not having heard back I’m going to assume waitlist. I thought my interview was conversational and very relaxed and the interviewer complimented me on my journey and app. Does this basically mean that there’s no way to read how interviews went or how much they matter to ur entire app? Anyone else in the same boat?

During my interview today they said it could take 6-8 weeks, sometimes a bit longer even to hear a decision. You still have 2 weeks to go until you reach the end of that time frame and even if you don't hear anything then it doesn't indicate anything! I know it's pretty much impossible but try not to worry about it, you're still golden. Also, the admissions assistant said that if we don't hear anything after 8 weeks we could feel free to contact them whenever for an update or something.

During my interview today they said it could take 6-8 weeks, sometimes a bit longer even to hear a decision. You still have 2 weeks to go until you reach the end of that time frame and even if you don't hear anything then it doesn't indicate anything! I know it's pretty much impossible but try not to worry about it, you're still golden. Also, the admissions assistant said that if we don't hear anything after 8 weeks we could feel free to contact them whenever for an update or something.
Thanks Boss

I feel the same way!! I interviewed on 10/16 and my interviewers complimented me but no news :( I'm sad

Not to put a damper on things, but I think in general interviews are generally positives for most people. it can be true that your interviewers were being genuine (which I believe they were), but other factors are still important for the post interview decision. referring to the LizzyM staircase analogy i think is of good use here. if all of us are generally likable people, which i'm inclined to believe, it also means that having a positive interview experience may not push your app one way or the other. the unfortunate part is only some of us will get A's despite so many doing well.

• Sad
  • Okay...
Does Stony give pre-II rejections? I keep holding my breath for this school as I RAPIDLY check my emails :')

when are interviews being scheduled up until as of right now. I've heard end of January but also late march?

Does anyone know of an accepted students group or something of the sort? Really want to connect with future classmates!

Reactions: 3 users
II received today!! 2' sent 9/4. Also, I am in state, non trad, URM, NY Jets fan, dog lover.
To answer an above question - Earliest date open for me was mid January.

• Love
Does anyone know of an accepted students group or something of the sort? Really want to connect with future classmates!
Not sure of one and there most likely won't be a real one for a while but we could always start one now!

this friday hits 6 weeks and nothing from stony brook... what does this mean?

Trying to understand if OOS students need only pay out of state tuition the first year and then can drop down to in-state for last three years. Can anyone say definitively ? Residency eligibility on their website indicates living in the state "only for purposes of college" does not define residency. But in several places on SDN I have seen that after 12 months you pay in-state tuition. Anyone ?

Trying to understand if OOS students need only pay out of state tuition the first year and then can drop down to in-state for last three years. Can anyone say definitively ? Residency eligibility on their website indicates living in the state "only for purposes of college" does not define residency. But in several places on SDN I have seen that after 12 months you pay in-state tuition. Anyone ?
Hello, I have a current MS2 OOS friend at stony and she confirms that you can apply for IS tuition after ur M1!