2020-2021 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any students currently in M1 or M2 speak to student wellness here? I would love to know the structure of classes, how often you get tested and how happy you feel! Does administration listen to the student body?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II!!
IS, ORM, complete late August.
512 Mcat, 4.0 GPA
Earliest interview date was end of January

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
aaaaay caught the A, interviewed early november

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
what does it mean if we interviewed mid-october and haven't heard back yet? :'(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else interviewing tomorrow and feeling nervous? :oops:

has anyone gotten a post-ii rejection or waitlist yet? it's 7 weeks for me now and i'm wondering whether I'll hear back in the next week or just be straight up ghosted lol

has anyone gotten a post-ii rejection or waitlist yet? it's 7 weeks for me now and i'm wondering whether I'll hear back in the next week or just be straight up ghosted lol

FWIW, a lot of people in last years thread still got As after ~10 weeks with some getting WL too.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If anyone is interested, I’ve created a groupme for the class of 2025:

Can any students currently in M1 or M2 speak to student wellness here? I would love to know the structure of classes, how often you get tested and how happy you feel! Does administration listen to the student body?
Current MS4, but no one responded and I'm bored af while my significant other is working so here I am! I'll speak specifically about the pre-clinical years since that seems to be your focus. Just a reminder that at Stony Brook, your third year actually starts January of your second year (confusing we know), so pre-clinicals are only 1.5 years. You start your first year with orientation, which is mostly a bunch of required busy work nonsense and a ton of fun, student run social events to get you out and meeting people. I actually met some of my best friends during this original block, and it was a blast. Then you go into what we call B3 - our "building blocks" classes, which is comprised of anatomy, then anatomy and biochem at the same time until Thanksgiving, and then immunology/hemeonc and microbiology at the same time until spring break. These classes are all currently pass/fail, and you get tested about every three weeks. Biochem and anatomy lab have required attendance, but after that everything is basically some mandatory small groups and labs and then non-mandatory larger lecture classes (which end up being kind of small group, because most students don't actually go and study in the library instead).
Pros: anatomy class was ****ing awesome. Anatomy prof/TAs and our biochem professor are awesome. Mandatory class sucks (especially since these were mostly big lectures with all the med students and dental students for biochem), but it meant everyone was around a lot and we all got lunch/dinner together, formed study groups, etc. I feel like I actually spent the most time with my classmates just studying and bonding during this period. While everyone wants to do insanely well and can get stressed out if they are anything less than perfect, I never really felt like anyone was competing AGAINST each other. Tons of people share resources, etc. Most frustration came when people thought they studied a lot and it just didn't really translate to the score they wanted. But honestly, I think these portions of med school are actually more about teaching you how to study/what resources to use for the rest of med school than anything else.
Cons: taking two classes at the same time sucks. Med school isn't like undergrad. I absolutely hated having to divide my attention between classes, and that can increase your stress. It never happens again after this, which made the rest of preclinical so, so much better. I would seriously avoid any program that makes you take too many classes at the same time. The immunology/hemeonc/microbiology classes are kind of taught more towards "PhD mentality," which wasn't really my jam. Got through them without too much pain and discomfort, and the material was pretty cool, but this was pretty much my least favorite part of all of med school.

After spring break of your first year you go into your systems courses. Our integrated pathophysiology courses are great. You finally get to devote yourself to learning one subject. The material comes hard and fast and, since a lot of it involves non-mandatory lectures and some small groups, I think everyone starts to do their own thing. It can be pretty normal to only see classmates like twice a week if you want; I ended up doing a lot of studying at some local cafes instead. Some people stick to their "groups" though and pretty much are all med school/med students all the time. In my class, everyone was pretty friendly and I constantly grabbed lunch with random people in my class when on campus, but I, like most people, did choose to spend a decent amount of time studying on my own off campus.

You have a longitudinal clinical introductory course and ethics course that are chill and not much work. They're fine and include hands on experiences/small groups.

BIG thing that may be less important to you guys, but since we take Step 1 AFTER clinicals (a thing that will still happen regardless of whether or not steps are scored or P/F), stress levels seemed waaaaaay lower my second year than at other schools. We were all just chillin doing our thing while I had friends that were all like NOOOOO STEP 1 KILL MEEEEEE at other schools. I did not step 1 prep at all until the last month of my clinical rotations. Dedicated studying for 6.5 weeks (we got 8 but that would have killed me), slightly above average student and I got a 25X. Class average the year before us was a 242, not sure what the average was for my class but I have some pretty average friends (love them but it's the reality) that DESTROYED it and are now rocking residency interviews from top tier programs. Since switching to after clinicals, NO ONE has failed. Plus, you can take step 2 pretty soon after if you want (not mandatory since sched is pretty flexible during phase 3), and there are step 1 questions on step 2.

For admin, I love most of the department. There are enough people in our UGME office that care about the students and will meet with you individually. Heck, my friend straight up texted our like head dean when she was studying for step 1 and was all stressed and he CALLED her to check in, make sure she was doing ok, offer solutions, etc. I generally feel pretty supported and like, since my success is tied to their success, the school will have my back. Since it HAS come up, and in the spirit of being candid, I do know that some of our minority students have recently been disappointed by leadership. Our school has generally been pretty pro-diversity (we have a really large local spanish immigrant population, we live in pretty liberal NY, etc), but a lot of the student body feels like diversity initiatives have been more student driven than admin driven, which has frustrated them. With the whole BLM stuff, our school put out a statement condemning George Floyd's death, etc, but basically asked students what we wanted to do in order to improve diversity initiatives, instead of putting things into actions themselves immediately. I don't really think this is a bad thing per se, since they are honestly super open to listening to stuff, but I know some of our student body really wishes they did more to acknowledge being URM/disenfranchised communities. We just got a new head of diversity something something (a really awesome physician that has basically run our student clinic for years), but i don't know. People wanted more.

Hope this helps. I'm just interviewing for residency right now and doing **** all since my travel plans got destroyed by the covid so feel free to reach out.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 26 users
Current MS4, but no one responded and I'm bored af while my significant other is working so here I am! I'll speak specifically about the pre-clinical years since that seems to be your focus. Just a reminder that at Stony Brook, your third year actually starts January of your second year (confusing we know), so pre-clinicals are only 1.5 years. You start your first year with orientation, which is mostly a bunch of required busy work nonsense and a ton of fun, student run social events to get you out and meeting people. I actually met some of my best friends during this original block, and it was a blast. Then you go into what we call B3 - our "building blocks" classes, which is comprised of anatomy, then anatomy and biochem at the same time until Thanksgiving, and then immunology/hemeonc and microbiology at the same time until spring break. These classes are all currently pass/fail, and you get tested about every three weeks. Biochem and anatomy lab have required attendance, but after that everything is basically some mandatory small groups and labs and then non-mandatory larger lecture classes (which end up being kind of small group, because most students don't actually go and study in the library instead).
Pros: anatomy class was ****ing awesome. Anatomy prof/TAs and our biochem professor are awesome. Mandatory class sucks (especially since these were mostly big lectures with all the med students and dental students for biochem), but it meant everyone was around a lot and we all got lunch/dinner together, formed study groups, etc. I feel like I actually spent the most time with my classmates just studying and bonding during this period. While everyone wants to do insanely well and can get stressed out if they are anything less than perfect, I never really felt like anyone was competing AGAINST each other. Tons of people share resources, etc. Most frustration came when people thought they studied a lot and it just didn't really translate to the score they wanted. But honestly, I think these portions of med school are actually more about teaching you how to study/what resources to use for the rest of med school than anything else.
Cons: taking two classes at the same time sucks. Med school isn't like undergrad. I absolutely hated having to divide my attention between classes, and that can increase your stress. It never happens again after this, which made the rest of preclinical so, so much better. I would seriously avoid any program that makes you take too many classes at the same time. The immunology/hemeonc/microbiology classes are kind of taught more towards "PhD mentality," which wasn't really my jam. Got through them without too much pain and discomfort, and the material was pretty cool, but this was pretty much my least favorite part of all of med school.

After spring break of your first year you go into your systems courses. Our integrated pathophysiology courses are great. You finally get to devote yourself to learning one subject. The material comes hard and fast and, since a lot of it involves non-mandatory lectures and some small groups, I think everyone starts to do their own thing. It can be pretty normal to only see classmates like twice a week if you want; I ended up doing a lot of studying at some local cafes instead. Some people stick to their "groups" though and pretty much are all med school/med students all the time. In my class, everyone was pretty friendly and I constantly grabbed lunch with random people in my class when on campus, but I, like most people, did choose to spend a decent amount of time studying on my own off campus.

You have a longitudinal clinical introductory course and ethics course that are chill and not much work. They're fine and include hands on experiences/small groups.

BIG thing that may be less important to you guys, but since we take Step 1 AFTER clinicals (a thing that will still happen regardless of whether or not steps are scored or P/F), stress levels seemed waaaaaay lower my second year than at other schools. We were all just chillin doing our thing while I had friends that were all like NOOOOO STEP 1 KILL MEEEEEE at other schools. I did not step 1 prep at all until the last month of my clinical rotations. Dedicated studying for 6.5 weeks (we got 8 but that would have killed me), slightly above average student and I got a 25X. Class average the year before us was a 242, not sure what the average was for my class but I have some pretty average friends (love them but it's the reality) that DESTROYED it and are now rocking residency interviews from top tier programs. Since switching to after clinicals, NO ONE has failed. Plus, you can take step 2 pretty soon after if you want (not mandatory since sched is pretty flexible during phase 3), and there are step 1 questions on step 2.

For admin, I love most of the department. There are enough people in our UGME office that care about the students and will meet with you individually. Heck, my friend straight up texted our like head dean when she was studying for step 1 and was all stressed and he CALLED her to check in, make sure she was doing ok, offer solutions, etc. I generally feel pretty supported and like, since my success is tied to their success, the school will have my back. Since it HAS come up, and in the spirit of being candid, I do know that some of our minority students have recently been disappointed by leadership. Our school has generally been pretty pro-diversity (we have a really large local spanish immigrant population, we live in pretty liberal NY, etc), but a lot of the student body feels like diversity initiatives have been more student driven than admin driven, which has frustrated them. With the whole BLM stuff, our school put out a statement condemning George Floyd's death, etc, but basically asked students what we wanted to do in order to improve diversity initiatives, instead of putting things into actions themselves immediately. I don't really think this is a bad thing per se, since they are honestly super open to listening to stuff, but I know some of our student body really wishes they did more to acknowledge being URM/disenfranchised communities. We just got a new head of diversity something something (a really awesome physician that has basically run our student clinic for years), but i don't know. People wanted more.

Hope this helps. I'm just interviewing for residency right now and doing **** all since my travel plans got destroyed by the covid so feel free to reach out.
This is SO helpful, thank you!!!

This is SO helpful, thank you!!!
No prob. I'm also applying to something this year and see how hard it is to figure out what a program is like virtually. We'll get through this together haha. Reach out at any time if you need anything.

No prob. I'm also applying to something this year and see how hard it is to figure out what a program is like virtually. We'll get through this together haha. Reach out at any time if you need anything.

Thank you so much for the info above, it's really helpful. I'm actually really curious about the Honors/Pass/Fail part of the curriculum. Could you briefly tell me more about it and how it affects your residency apps? Does the MSPE portion of your app contain a section about it or are you internally ranked? Thank you!

Thank you so much for the info above, it's really helpful. I'm actually really curious about the Honors/Pass/Fail part of the curriculum. Could you briefly tell me more about it and how it affects your residency apps? Does the MSPE portion of your app contain a section about it or are you internally ranked? Thank you!
Yeah sure. So this year with covid everything got ****ed up and they made the entire preclinical curriculum pass/fail. Everyone will come out of preclinicals with pretty much the same rank. For the entering class, I imagine they'll go back to the beginning B3 section being pass/fail (our class actually had honors for B3 and it was not healthy. The classes above us and we all advocated against it and the admin changed it) and the integrated pathophysiology courses being H/P/F. About 1/3 of our class got honors, 2/3 got pass. Pretty much no one fails since remediation is a thing.

We are internally ranked, but your preclinical courses barely count. They are technically 35% of your ranking, but most people come out at almost exactly the same number of points. I'm happy to go into detail, but honestly I think the preclinical students worry about it too much (I did too when I was in their position). For preclinicals you get 0 points for a failure, 2 points for a pass, and 3 or 4 points for honors - I forget which 1, but then it gets scaled down and basically disappears into not mattering. Your clinical rotations (3rd year) basically determine most of your ranks. Some of the preclinical courses numerically can be used for tie breakers, but according to our old dean she only used that once in like 10 years.

Our current MS1s and MS2s are freaking out about internal rankings. People hear about your "raw score" mattering every year and start to freak out and ask each other test scores, feel inadequate, etc. But honestly, the reality is that this stress happens, because you are working really hard and it can be a challenge to grapple the idea that "nothing you are doing matters." If it doesn't matter whether I get a 90 or a 70, why would I work so hard? Why am I going to spend a year and a half studying full time instead of working and earning money if it "doesn't matter" what I get. That's the mentality sometimes, and it can mess with peoples' heads. The faster you get out of that mentality and realize preclinicals are ALL about making sure you learn material well enough to do well on step exams and learn the "language of medicine" so you maybe understand wtf is happening when you hit the floors, you will be much happier.

In terms of what shows up on our MSPE, the only thing that shows up from preclinicals are your introduction to clinical medicine course and ethics course comments and whether you had any major red flags - honor code violations, massive failures, etc. Residencies get your transcripts but do not give a **** as long as you haven't failed anything. On your MSPE you are also ranked into a quartile - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. These are largely determined by your core clinical rotations and pretty much everyone knows where they will fall before they are released based on how you do on your clinicals. For what it is worth I am not Q1 or AOA and am still getting interview invitations from top tier residency programs. Scores and clinical comments/LORs/ECs/research matter more in most fields.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah sure. So this year with covid everything got ****ed up and they made the entire preclinical curriculum pass/fail. Everyone will come out of preclinicals with pretty much the same rank. For the entering class, I imagine they'll go back to the beginning B3 section being pass/fail (our class actually had honors for B3 and it was not healthy. The classes above us and we all advocated against it and the admin changed it) and the integrated pathophysiology courses being H/P/F. About 1/3 of our class got honors, 2/3 got pass. Pretty much no one fails since remediation is a thing.

We are internally ranked, but your preclinical courses barely count. They are technically 35% of your ranking, but most people come out at almost exactly the same number of points. I'm happy to go into detail, but honestly I think the preclinical students worry about it too much (I did too when I was in their position). For preclinicals you get 0 points for a failure, 2 points for a pass, and 3 or 4 points for honors - I forget which 1, but then it gets scaled down and basically disappears into not mattering. Your clinical rotations (3rd year) basically determine most of your ranks. Some of the preclinical courses numerically can be used for tie breakers, but according to our old dean she only used that once in like 10 years.

Our current MS1s and MS2s are freaking out about internal rankings. People hear about your "raw score" mattering every year and start to freak out and ask each other test scores, feel inadequate, etc. But honestly, the reality is that this stress happens, because you are working really hard and it can be a challenge to grapple the idea that "nothing you are doing matters." If it doesn't matter whether I get a 90 or a 70, why would I work so hard? Why am I going to spend a year and a half studying full time instead of working and earning money if it "doesn't matter" what I get. That's the mentality sometimes, and it can mess with peoples' heads. The faster you get out of that mentality and realize preclinicals are ALL about making sure you learn material well enough to do well on step exams and learn the "language of medicine" so you maybe understand wtf is happening when you hit the floors, you will be much happier.

In terms of what shows up on our MSPE, the only thing that shows up from preclinicals are your introduction to clinical medicine course and ethics course comments and whether you had any major red flags - honor code violations, massive failures, etc. Residencies get your transcripts but do not give a **** as long as you haven't failed anything. On your MSPE you are also ranked into a quartile - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. These are largely determined by your core clinical rotations and pretty much everyone knows where they will fall before they are released based on how you do on your clinicals. For what it is worth I am not Q1 or AOA and am still getting interview invitations from top tier residency programs. Scores and clinical comments/LORs/ECs/research matter more in most fields.

Dude/dudette, thank you again so much for such detailed responses. Was really not expecting it. And honestly Stony is one of my top choices so I'm super glad that it really doesn't matter too much. The H/P/F of preclinicals really worried me. If I'm lucky enough to get accepted (just had my interview a few weeks ago) I'll definitely be referring back to this. Thanks again for really taking the time and answering questions in detail, us hopeful future students really appreciate people like you.

Dude/dudette, thank you again so much for such detailed responses. Was really not expecting it. And honestly Stony is one of my top choices so I'm super glad that it really doesn't matter too much. The H/P/F of preclinicals really worried me. If I'm lucky enough to get accepted (just had my interview a few weeks ago) I'll definitely be referring back to this. Thanks again for really taking the time and answering questions in detail, us hopeful future students really appreciate people like you.
Yeah the H/P/F thing worried me too but honestly it doesn't end up mattering too much as long as you don't let it. From a long term perspective it matters very little on your rankings. I think short term it can affect your mental health/cause imposter syndrome if you are just like one point under the cut off, but then you just...idk...move on? I haven't thought of my preclinical grades in forever, and when my residency advisor was trying to figure out what rank I would be (before the official ones were released), he had me list my clinical grades and then told me "oh, ok so you'll be QX and blah blah blah." Preclinicals didn't even come up. If you end up getting accepted and ever want to chat about whether SB is a good fit for you or anything (even if it's to compare it to other programs; I have no skin in this game) feel free to DM. I finish all my graduation requirements in March, and with COVID limiting travel opportunities will be doing **** all so I'm happy to chat.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah the H/P/F thing worried me too but honestly it doesn't end up mattering too much as long as you don't let it. From a long term perspective it matters very little on your rankings. I think short term it can affect your mental health/cause imposter syndrome if you are just like one point under the cut off, but then you just...idk...move on? I haven't thought of my preclinical grades in forever, and when my residency advisor was trying to figure out what rank I would be (before the official ones were released), he had me list my clinical grades and then told me "oh, ok so you'll be QX and blah blah blah." Preclinicals didn't even come up. If you end up getting accepted and ever want to chat about whether SB is a good fit for you or anything (even if it's to compare it to other programs; I have no skin in this game) feel free to DM. I finish all my graduation requirements in March, and with COVID limiting travel opportunities will be doing **** all so I'm happy to chat.

I most definitely will! Just started following you so that if the time comes it'll be easier to find you haha. Again, really appreciate it.

I also interviewed 10/13, but I'm IS and haven't heard anything yet. Still holding onto hope for some update since next week is the 8 week mark. Congrats to you!
Thank you! I'm grateful to have been accepted early as an OOS applicant at stony, however, I'm also currently at the 11-week mark since interviewing at my OWN state school. I think this process is super variable and we really don't know what goes on behind the scenes of admissions (who gets accepted immediately vs those who hear back much later). Im wishing you positive energy and hoping you hear back soon (with great news)! :)

Reactions: 2 users
interviewed in late october and nothing yet :'( it's 8 weeks this week for me

• Care
II received 12/7 IS!!! Complete early September. The earliest dates available were in Feb.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
To those who have submitted their intent to enroll email, have y'all received any reply acknowledging it?

How are the interviews for y'all? Conversational?

Very. Both faculty and student were extremely conversational. Faculty asked a few "traditional" questions but they were so conversational that it didn't even seem like it really. I enjoyed/loved both of them - super relaxing.

I am not sure if this has been answered, but does anyone know if the spring interviews are mostly for WL or do they outright send a lot of As to people interviewing January onwards?