2020-2021 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So uh, this wasn't as uplifting as I thought it would be but I looked through last year's forum....

Tufts 2019-2020: (I’m only looking at regular track, there were some Maine interviews too)
2018-2019: 3 pages of SDN pre-II rejections on 12/21
2017-2018: 2 major R waves on 12/13 and 1/17

II: 1/28/2020 (complete late aug)
Pre-II R: 2/7/20
II: 2/26/20 (early August, date was 3/2)
II: 2/27/20
Pre-II R: 2/27/20
Pre-II R: 3/12/20
*Checks calendar*
Are we overdue for an R tsunami?!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
What is the situation with Tufts and reapplicants? There seems to be a big group of people who were waitlisted, even priority waitlisted, a previous cycle that are just ignored.

Related, I wonder what the thought is to granting interviews to a bunch of applicants with alumni connections? I’ve heard of many that have interviewed, none of which I know have been accepted. It’s hard to believe alumni can be happy with their family members essentially being teased. Maybe they’ve found it a good strategy? Idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the situation with Tufts and reapplicants? There seems to be a big group of people who were waitlisted, even priority waitlisted, a previous cycle that are just ignored.

Related, I wonder what the thought is to granting interviews to a bunch of applicants with alumni connections? I’ve heard of many that have interviewed, none of which I know have been accepted. It’s hard to believe alumni can be happy with their family members essentially being teased. Maybe they’ve found it a good strategy? Idk.

I can't comment on your second question, but I'm an MS1 here and personally know 2 classmates who were reapplicants that had interviewed here both years, but were only accepted the second time around. The school is also very active w/ the waitlist though- A LOT of my classmates got in off the waitlist, so I wouldn't lose hope!

Hey applicants- in the Christmas spirit, I'm going to try to answer any questions you may have about Tufts tonight!
(I'm also in the Maine track and can do my best to answer any questions about that as well)

For context- I'm an MS1 right now and while this year has been far from normal, I've had a great experience and remain grateful for all the people who gave me advice last cycle so I hope to do the same!

I'll be answering questions tonight and periodically throughout the weekend.. Good luck to everyone applying!!
Anything you recommend emphasizing in the interview?

Anything you recommend emphasizing in the interview?
Hey- I can only comment on the Maine track interview because I didn’t have the traditional Boston track interview. I’m happy to elaborate if you’d like to know about the Maine track one though!

Does this also apply to deferred students? Deferred early in the cycle, would go here without hesitation if off the defer/WL... :(
So I know one of my 2 friends was deferred at first! I’d also like to emphasize that there are probably more students like this...I only know a handful of classmates well because of online classes and limited in person interactions but there are roughly 200 students in our class and I believe that Tufts accepted more than 500 students for my batch. Basically- this school has a Ton of waitlist movement (it just usually happens in the late spring)!

Hey- I can only comment on the Maine track interview because I didn’t have the traditional Boston track interview. I’m happy to elaborate if you’d like to know about the Maine track one though!
I interview with the Maine track on 1/8/20. Do you have any advice or things you recommend emphasizing?

Hi friends! I have been accepted to the Maine Track, and have also applied to the dual MD/MPH program. Does anyone know when we will hear back regarding the MPH? I believe you need to be accepted to the med school first, but then didn't know when they would release information about the MPH. Thank you!
Congrats on being accepted to the Maine Track! I have my Maine Track interview next week, do you have any words of advice? What was the interview like for you?

Congrats on being accepted to the Maine Track! I have my Maine Track interview next week, do you have any words of advice? What was the interview like for you?
I interview with the Maine track on 1/8/20. Do you have any advice or things you recommend emphasizing?
Be yourself! They are interviewing you because they like you.

Be prepared. Know your app, your essays, your challenges.

Know the program - why are you interested?

Congrats on the interview!! So someone can clarify if the interviews are in a different format this year, but last year it was 8-9 students per interview day and the interview itself consisted of MMI rounds and two open file interviews.

I would definitely recommend reviewing your AMCAS application inside and out (they singled out specific activities and had quotes from our PS's they wanted us to expand on- this was true for my current classmates as well). Also, make sure you know the reason Why you did the activities/ECs that you wrote about, and Why you want to do the Maine track in particular.

Finally, just remember to be genuine and down to earth, this is definitely something they are really good at filtering for, and with good reason, as it's a relatively small cohort and you inevitably spend SO much time with each other, unlike at some of the bigger programs.

Best of luck with the interview! It's honestly a great program and the students have always done very well matching into really good residencies all over the country, including at top 10 programs and in competitive specialties (basically you will NOT be limited). You also get Way more hands-on practice during clerkships compared to the Boston track, and really exceptional mentorship because the clerkships doctors who sign up to teach in Maine are really eager to have students on their service. Let me know if you have more questions!

It's honestly a great program and the students have always done very well matching into really good residencies all over the country, including at top 10 programs and in competitive specialties (basically you will NOT be limited). You also get Way more hands-on practice during clerkships compared to the Boston track, and really exceptional mentorship because the clerkships doctors who sign up to teach in Maine are really eager to have students on their service. Let me know if you have more questions!
I have also been offered an interview for the Maine Track this cycle. It is my top choice since I wish to remain in Maine, but I have a few questions about the clerkships and accommodations.

1. The first year is in Boston. As someone who feels more comfortable in rural areas, I would prefer to live out of the city if accepted. Would a long commute (1-1.5 hrs by train) into the city for that one year be difficult to manage with the MS1 workload?

2. Once established in Maine, how are clerkship locations determined? By lottery? By fit/specialty of interest?

3. I'm curious about the living situation and travel expectations in Maine, as well. Do most students get an apartment near Portland for the majority of MS2-4? I'm assuming most students need to find apartments closer to their specific clerkship site for MS3-4. How does this separation affect the class as a whole with respect to peer collaboration and support? Do Maine Track students feel isolated or is there a system in place to build a strong sense of community within this program?

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been offered an interview for the Maine Track this cycle. It is my top choice since I wish to remain in Maine, but I have a few questions about the clerkships and accommodations.

1. The first year is in Boston. As someone who feels more comfortable in rural areas, I would prefer to live out of the city if accepted. Would a long commute (1-1.5 hrs by train) into the city for that one year be difficult to manage with the MS1 workload?

2. Once established in Maine, how are clerkship locations determined? By lottery? By fit/specialty of interest?

3. I'm curious about the living situation and travel expectations in Maine, as well. Do most students get an apartment near Portland for the majority of MS2-4? I'm assuming most students need to find apartments closer to their specific clerkship site for MS3-4. How does this separation affect the class as a whole with respect to peer collaboration and support? Do Maine Track students feel isolated or is there a system in place to build a strong sense of community within this program?

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us!
I interviewed for the Maine track already and I commuted into Boston from a suburb in undergrad so I can give a little insight for some of your questions!

1. I can almost certainly say no, commuting into and out of Boston wouldn’t be ideal during M1. I commuted 1-2 hours (Boston traffic and MBTA system SUCK) just during undergrad and found it to be a huge drain on my time and energy.

2. The student panel during the interview explained that for anyone wanting to do the LIC, placement is by lottery. You rank your top few choices and then they place you. I think they said that almost everyone gets their first or second choice usually. I was interested to find out that there are more students than LIC spots, so, theoretically some people who want an LIC could not get one at all of a lot of people sign up for it. (If you don’t do LIC you stay in Portland and do traditional block rotations at Maine Med).

3. Yes, everyone lives in/very near Portland for M2. People who do block rotations stay. People who get LICs move to close to their clinical site (school helps with this) for M3-4. There’s still ~once per month that people on LICs have to come back to Maine Med for one thing or another so you do still see your classmates relatively often in the academic setting. It’s up to you how often you guys work together to see each other in a social setting, but it sounded like it’s doable for the current students.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed for the Maine track already and I commuted into Boston from a suburb in undergrad so I can give a little insight for some of your questions!

1. I can almost certainly say no, commuting into and out of Boston wouldn’t be ideal during M1. I commuted 1-2 hours (Boston traffic and MBTA system SUCK) just during undergrad and found it to be a huge drain on my time and energy.

2. The student panel during the interview explained that for anyone wanting to do the LIC, placement is by lottery. You rank your top few choices and then they place you. I think they said that almost everyone gets their first or second choice usually. I was interested to find out that there are more students than LIC spots, so, theoretically some people who want an LIC could not get one at all of a lot of people sign up for it. (If you don’t do LIC you stay in Portland and do traditional block rotations at Maine Med).

3. Yes, everyone lives in/very near Portland for M2. People who do block rotations stay. People who get LICs move to close to their clinical site (school helps with this) for M3-4. There’s still ~once per month that people on LICs have to come back to Maine Med for one thing or another so you do still see your classmates relatively often in the academic setting. It’s up to you how often you guys work together to see each other in a social setting, but it sounded like it’s doable for the current students.
@Premedd

Just to add to the above post-

1. Commuting in and out of Boston is normally not preferable (for context most people will try to live within 15-20 minute T ride away from campus). However, things changed with the pandemic this year and since we’re only required to come in 1-3 times a week (some weeks not at all), people are living all over the place (Cape Cod, New Hampshire, Maine, etc)..(we still get covid tested every week). I imagine your class will have more in person sessions but nothing’s confirmed yet.

2. It’s a lottery system as explained, but they have reiterated that nearly everyone gets their choice or can swap if needed.

3. I agree with everything that was said! To add more, there is still a strong sense of community even though the traditional block and LIC students don’t see each other every day. LIC students are also paired with other Maine trackers so you’re never alone at your sites! The program leaders work really hard to build community from day one and it really sticks. Before first year starts, there is a week long orientation camping trip with tons of activities to bring everyone together before classes even start. I’ll also add that third year is often isolating for most med students. Even in the Boston track, many of them had to drive to sites far away and went months without seeing each other. The support from classmates continues to exist but you’ll also become so busy with rotations and studying that the time flies by.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Got the acceptance call about an hour ago! Interviewed 10/7 and absolutely loved my interview day :)
Do you mind telling me about it? I'm interviewing on 1/4 and just curious for what to expect

Do you mind telling me about it? I'm interviewing on 1/4 and just curious for what to expect
It was overall very relaxed and conversational! There were two interviews, I think about 45 minutes each, but can't remember completely. Both of my interviewers had clearly read my file extensively, so their questions were mostly about things on my application. They were very friendly and not at all intimidating- there were really no hard questions. Just be yourself, have fun, and relax! Good luck!! :)

Happy New Year everyone!!

Is the interview day done after your 2nd individual interview? I’m scheduled for 1pm and 3pm so wondering if it’s safe to assume I’d be done around 4ish.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Is the interview day done after your 2nd individual interview? I’m scheduled for 1pm and 3pm so wondering if it’s safe to assume I’d be done around 4ish.
Yes

So I completed the II back in July, but still no updates. I am OOS, has anyone else not heard at all? This is happening to me at a lot of schools

So I completed the II back in July, but still no updates. I am OOS, has anyone else not heard at all? This is happening to me at a lot of schools
II means “interview invitation” not secondary. Most people I know who applied here haven’t heard anything since submitting the secondary. Hang tight if you don’t have a rejection from a school :)

II means “interview invitation” not secondary. Most people I know who applied here haven’t heard anything since submitting the secondary. Hang tight if you don’t have a rejection from a school :)
ah my bad! Kinda new to actually posting, thanks for the advise!

This is super common. I also submitted everything in July and am waiting on a ton of schools. It isn't over until you get a rejection.

Reactions: 7 users
LMAO. I was like how tf did you interview in July what aren't they telling us

Reactions: 2 users
are we expecting some decisions to come out on monday for late nov/early dec interviews?

Any other MSTP applicants almost just have a heart attack when they saw an email from Tufts just now...only to see it's a panel invite. Damn

• Haha
Any other MSTP applicants almost just have a heart attack when they saw an email from Tufts just now...only to see it's a panel invite. Damn
Man I didn't even get a panel invite... @ Tufts I am waiting respectfully 🥺👉👈

• Haha
just got the call for maine track! accepted, interviewed early december

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
just got the call for maine track! accepted, interviewed early december
I also interviewed for maine track early December, did they say anything else about more decisions? I don't have anything in my email and didn't get a call

Last edited:
For Boston! For those still waiting it looks like depending on the number of acceptances the calls can go out over two days.
When do I find out I’m rejected/waitlisted... I’m guessing they don’t tell you that news over the phone

got the call for boston track about an hour ago!! interviewed 11/30

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Lol interviewed 11/30 (boston track) but no call, wondering if its a rejection. Haha.

I also interviewed for maine track early December, did they say anything else about more decisions? I don't have anything in my email and didn't get a call
Interviewed early dec too, and I remember they said we could hear back around the holidays but it could take longer, too. Hoping we hear good news in the next wave :)

A today as well for Boston! :) Interviewed 12/9

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
What is the expected turnaround time for post-ii decisions? Interviewing at the end of Jan, just curious.

What is the expected turnaround time for post-ii decisions? Interviewing at the end of Jan, just curious.
Mine took 26 days, 4 hours, and 37 minutes from start of interview ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users