2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I doubt it...don't you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any housing recommendations?? Anyone looking to move to the area a little early around May?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heritage apts it’s a gated community a bit pricey though! It’s literally down the street from Brody.
Does anyone have any housing recommendations?? Anyone looking to move to the area a little early around May?
current student here. there are lot of apartments/houses for rent on Holland drive and also in the neighborhoods behind the school of public health, both of which are walking distance to the med school. many students also live in Southern Village or Meadowmont, which are upscale apartments/condos 5-10 min from campus. Finley Forest is another common option, across from Meadowmont but a bit more affordable

I’m just an applicant but I live at The Morgan and it’s right next to all the places listed above and liked it a lot more and it’s even a little less expensive!

current student here. there are lot of apartments/houses for rent on Holland drive and also in the neighborhoods behind the school of public health, both of which are walking distance to the med school. many students also live in Southern Village or Meadowmont, which are upscale apartments/condos 5-10 min from campus. Finley Forest is another common option, across from Meadowmont but a bit more affordable
Thank you! Super eager to start looking and get settled sooner rather than later. Do you know when there was a forum or fb group up for you to look for roommates? Or did you live alone and not worry about it?

Thank you! Super eager to start looking and get settled sooner rather than later. Do you know when there was a forum or fb group up for you to look for roommates? Or did you live alone and not worry about it?
Not sure about the FB group, but i think for my class they sent out a spreadsheet sometime in the Spring for people to help find roommates. This is how i found my roommate for the first year, although many people also decide to live alone!

Someone with an 11/9 interview heard back last week, too. I interviewed this day and I have silence but I’m trying to stay hopeful
I interviewed 11/9 too and nothing yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email from UNC and my heart jumped out of my chest. It was just an email saying my application is still under consideration. I interviewed 1 week ago. Does everyone who interviewed get this email?

Reactions: 4 users
Just received an email from UNC and my heart jumped out of my chest. It was just an email saying my application is still under consideration. I interviewed 1 week ago. Does everyone who interviewed get this email?
I got it and I interviewed a month ago

Same here, I interviewed 11/23

yep. got the same one. I was just checking my status on the portal too! it scared me... lol

Reactions: 1 users
I did get an "update" just now. I'm still under review. The offices are closed from today until 4 Jan. So looks like no news until the new year.
I just got it as well! At least it’s not a rejection so maybe the holidays will be peaceful

I just got it as well! At least it’s not a rejection so maybe the holidays will be peaceful
yeah, at least we can enjoy the holidays without stressing... or at least try not to stress about it.

Just got the same thing and interviewed about a month ago too. Honestly, I appreciate them telling me to basically chill out during the holidays

Got the same email. Interviewed early October.

Is there anyone who interviewed in September/early October who is still waiting on a decision, that did not get this email?

Interviewed on 10/1, still haven’t heard anything - got the email today so still under review. Guess no early Christmas present in my future, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 5 users
Also got the email. I interviewed 11/16. I'm glad they told us, so we dont neurotically refresh the page every minute lol. Happy Holidays everyone!

Any recent interviews? Complete early Aug IS, still radio silence. Portal says “Awaiting Decision”

Any IS, WL previously have not yet received a II with any updates on your portal?
Im IS and interviewed last cycle (was rejected) and I still haven’t heard anything back. I’m getting nervous tbh 😬

Has anyone who is instate and interviewed been rejected yet?

Hey all, for those that have interviewed. Will you consider the one on one interview tough with hard questions or was it more about your amcas application and experiences? I'm not sure if you are allowed to answer this, but I'm not asking for anything specific, just how hard it was and if lots of preparation is needed. Thanks!

Hey all, for those that have interviewed. Will you consider the one on one interview tough with hard questions or was it more about your amcas application and experiences? I'm not sure if you are allowed to answer this, but I'm not asking for anything specific, just how hard it was and if lots of preparation is needed. Thanks!
amcas and experiences. it was very conversational, just know your application well!

Hey all, for those that have interviewed. Will you consider the one on one interview tough with hard questions or was it more about your amcas application and experiences? I'm not sure if you are allowed to answer this, but I'm not asking for anything specific, just how hard it was and if lots of preparation is needed.
This was the easiest interview I've had. I was so nervous but it went away when the interview started bc it was truly conversational. Be able to talk about your story, reasons for medicine and experiences and you'll do great.

Just got an update email that I’m still under consideration...😬

Just got an update email that I’m still under consideration...😬
It’s so interesting because they also sent this email to applicants on the 21st, announcing that they would take a break from the 21st of dec till jan 4th and we were under consideration. So the fact that they sent an email today is weird lol, even if it may have been an automatic email. Why didn’t they have all of them sent by the 21st lol?

It’s so interesting because they also sent this email to applicants on the 21st, announcing that they would take a break from the 21st of dec till jan 4th and we were under consideration. So the fact that they sent an email today is weird lol, even if it may have been an automatic email. Why didn’t they have all of them sent by the 21st lol?
I got that email today....oh gosh nerve recking but still encouraging

Does UNC's slow/inconsisitent release of information and lack of transparency during this process concern anybody else as a potential student? I understand if a student is marginal and is having to wait and see if they are going to be offered an interview. But once the interview has been completed...just make a decision! Another frustration, the office is basically nonresponsive to pertinent questions and I am beginning to wonder if this translates to the way students feel about their medical school education. Sure...I talked to a few students during my interview that were very good ambassadors for the program, and the tuition is very attractive, but the fact that they cannot make a decision on admission, rejection, or waitlist within a month or two of an interview when other medical schools can easily do this with ten times the applicants baffles and frustrates me. I can understand that it takes longer for out of state students to get a decision because that is where the majority of applications come from, but in state applicants stand at just a little more than 1000. All of my friends who are applying to medical school this year (who are strong candidates above median MCAT strong GPA etc.) heard from their state schools in October and November, or at least within a month of their interview, yet UNC and Brody can't get the work done. What's up North Carolina?? Sorry for the rant--it's just annoying. Most schools at least tell you when you can expect a decision after interviewing. I have interviewed at six schools and all of them have told me when to expect some kind of a decision--even if they say it will be March before you hear anything. I have heard from ALL of them except UNC and Brody. Ok. Rant done.

Reactions: 6 users
Does UNC's slow/inconsisitent release of information and lack of transparency during this process concern anybody else as a potential student? I understand if a student is marginal and is having to wait and see if they are going to be offered an interview. But once the interview has been completed...just make a decision! Another frustration, the office is basically nonresponsive to pertinent questions and I am beginning to wonder if this translates to the way students feel about their medical school education. Sure...I talked to a few students during my interview that were very good ambassadors for the program, and the tuition is very attractive, but the fact that they cannot make a decision on admission, rejection, or waitlist within a month or two of an interview when other medical schools can easily do this with ten times the applicants baffles and frustrates me. I can understand that it takes longer for out of state students to get a decision because that is where the majority of applications come from, but in state applicants stand at just a little more than 1000. All of my friends who are applying to medical school this year (who are strong candidates above median MCAT strong GPA etc.) heard from their state schools in October and November, or at least within a month of their interview, yet UNC and Brody can't get the work done. What's up North Carolina?? Sorry for the rant--it's just annoying. Most schools at least tell you when you can expect a decision after interviewing. I have interviewed at six schools and all of them have told me when to expect some kind of a decision--even if they say it will be March before you hear anything. I have heard from ALL of them except UNC and Brody. Ok. Rant done.
I (and many others) feel your pain/annoyance... but given that we are all here on SDN, the mantra is: rejected until accepted.... And not to slag NC as a whole but Campbell and WF's bloody wave of rejections have been very active.

Last edited:
definitely feel your frustration but as a current MS4, i can say that i've had a very good experience at UNC. i agree that the admissions process is often disorganized and unpredictable, but i wouldn't say this is reflective of the culture as a whole at UNC. we have an amazing pre-clinical and clinical experience with faculty dedicated to teaching and receptive to our feedback. we don't really work with the office of admissions once we're students unless we're helping out with interviews

Reactions: 6 users

• Haha
definitely feel your frustration but as a current MS4, i can say that i've had a very good experience at UNC. i agree that the admissions process is often disorganized and unpredictable, but i wouldn't say this is reflective of the culture as a whole at UNC. we have an amazing pre-clinical and clinical experience with faculty dedicated to teaching and receptive to our feedback. we don't really work with the office of admissions once we're students unless we're helping out with interviews

Yikes, I haven't received this email yet. I haven't heard anything from them :/
It seems like they are sending out the emails at diff times ( which makes no sense lol) because the whole point of the email was to announce that they are taking a break for the holidays. I would assume they would want all students that are waiting on decisions or interview invites to know about that regardless of whether or not you have bad or good news waiting for you.