2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would that be considered "good"/high relative to other programs?
Well, Duke and Brody interview about the same number for their classes of 120 and 86, so I'd say its pretty good

Members don't see this ad.

According to the UNC website, we interview about 600 applicants for our class of 190, so its actually more like 32% post II.
So that number doesn't give the full picture because more people are accepted than actually end up going (people choose a different school). This document provides a much more complete picture of all acceptances, not just matriculants:

I believe that table is based on 2019 values taken from places like USNWR, MSAR, and others. Very complete picture. The rates are 46.80% UNC IS Post-II and 57.72% UNC OOS Post-II.

Great document overall. Crucial to remember that accepted does not mean matriculated, which is what causes misconceptions.

Edit: Fixed numbers

Reactions: 2 users
So that number doesn't give the full picture because more people are accepted than actually end up going (people choose a different school). This document provides a much more complete picture of all acceptances, not just matriculants:

I believe that table is based on 2019 values taken from places like USNWR, MSAR, and others. Very complete picture. The rates are 46.80% UNC IS Post-II and 57.72% UNC OOS Post-II.

Great document overall. Crucial to remember that accepted does not mean matriculated, which is what causes misconceptions.

Edit: Fixed numbers

Great info. Thanks for the reminder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great info. Thanks for the reminder.
No problem fam, that's what I'm here for. To spread the good word of the almighty spreadsheet. All hail the spreadsheet! May its data lead us to the One Truth and the holy R^2 value.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
So I applied to UNC in August (sent my secondary in by then) and I've selected the regular MD track. Should I be worried that it has been radio silence from them since like October?

So I applied to UNC in August (sent my secondary in by then) and I've selected the regular MD track. Should I be worried that it has been radio silence from them since like October?
Did you get an interview in october?

Saw this on their website. Thought it might explain the lack of updates from them......
"We will begin releasing offers of acceptance in December, and subsequently in February, March and April. "

Reactions: 4 users
Did you get an interview in october?

Saw this on their website. Thought it might explain the lack of updates from them......
"We will begin releasing offers of acceptance in December, and subsequently in February, March and April. "
Thank you so much Premed. It makes me feel a lot better about not hearing back yet. Hopefully they say something soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow - I guess we can all chill for the rest of the month.

That might be old. They started accepting people in October so I'm not sure if that is set in stone.

That might be old. They started accepting people in October so I'm not sure if that is set in stone.
It seems to me that only a select few students got As before December. It might be up to the interviewer or something. I feel like the BULK of acceptances may happen in those months.

It seems to me that only a select few students got As before December. It might be up to the interviewer or something. I feel like the BULK of acceptances may happen in those months.
Fingers crossed this is true!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay - the info about Dec, Feb, etc. is from their FAQ and I doubt they updated that at all.... I suggest stay by your phone and stay crazy!!!

Anybody else who interviewed receive a financial aid email from UNC?

Reactions: 6 users
This is so dayum stressful waiting to hear. I’m getting other interviews to schools I don’t want to go to. I’m like a faithful husband to UNC getting flirted with by DO schools left n right

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Have any accepted students received an award package or scholarships yet?

Any interviewees from November or December hear back yet? I know it is still early but you never know

Any interviewees from November or December hear back yet? I know it is still early but you never know
I interviewed on 11/16 and still haven’t heard back. I believe the latest that heard back is 11/9

This is so dayum stressful waiting to hear. I’m getting other interviews to schools I don’t want to go to. I’m like a faithful husband to UNC getting flirted with by DO schools left n right
Wait until those flirty DO gives you an offer and requires a hefty deposit....

Accepted via phone call earlier this evening! Interviewed sometime in early November. OOS.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Congrats to everyone who got in this wave! Did the status on your portal change?

Just got the call! Accepted this morning! Interviewed 11/23, IS

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Has anyone else gotten a request to complete your FAFSA before getting a decision? Got an email yesterday inviting me to complete it.

Do you have to fill out the FAFSA to be considered for non-need-based scholarships?

Or is it just for federal aid?

Do you have to fill out the FAFSA to be considered for non-need-based scholarships?

Or is it just for federal aid?
I'm pretty sure the FAFSA is if you plan on taking any federal loans at all. So unless you plan on paying 100% for med school (either out-of-pocket or with private loans [don't do take private loans]) then you should do the FAFSA. It only takes like 10 minutes.