2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone just randomly get a UNC SOM student follow up email? I interviewed in December and got this today.
I got this on October 15th after my September interview. Nearly gave me a heart attack

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also accepted yesterday for MSTP with the 1/10-1/12 interview!! Is it weird to email the faculty you interviewed with to let them know?
I was thinking about that! I think if you really plan on doing the second visit then it may be worth it

Members don't see this ad :)
When your decision is updated in the supp app portal and you’ve been accepted, does it say accepted or just decision made?

Never got one lol
Sorry y'all, Idk why you didn't. They definitely gave me the list of everyone in my Q&A group to email. Med students have a lot going on obviously, so it might have just gotten lost on their to-do list. If y'all do have questions, you're welcome to message me instead. And here is the blurb with the info links in case you want those:

You can find more information about the UNC SOM population at About Our Students | Office of Admissions. You can also take a look at the variety of students organizations we have (http://www.med.unc.edu/wms/student-organizations/student-orgs) and our virtual tour (Welcome to UNC School of Medicine) These links can help you find out more about what daily life could look like at UNC SOM. In addition, here is the general UNC SOM FAQ page! FAQs | Office of Admissions

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry y'all, Idk why you didn't. They definitely gave me the list of everyone in my Q&A group to email. Med students have a lot going on obviously, so it might have just gotten lost on their to-do list. If y'all do have questions, you're welcome to message me instead. And here is the blurb with the info links in case you want those:

You can find more information about the UNC SOM population at About Our Students | Office of Admissions. You can also take a look at the variety of students organizations we have (http://www.med.unc.edu/wms/student-organizations/student-orgs) and our virtual tour (Welcome to UNC School of Medicine) These links can help you find out more about what daily life could look like at UNC SOM. In addition, here is the general UNC SOM FAQ page! FAQs | Office of Admissions
thanks for sharing!

I don't know what to do with this information but I thought it was interesting. The 2019-2020 UNC SDN thread reached 1300 posts by April 27th. All the UNC SDN threads before 2019 didn't even touch 1300 posts. We are about to reach 1300 posts by mid-February. UNC has garnered so much attention and hope from premeds like ourselves. As we wait patiently for some resolve from AdComms, just know that UNCSOM and medical school admissions, in general, have gotten astronomically more competitive. There are going to be a large number of qualified applicants that dedicate their lives to this premed process and never see a return on investment. Anyways, I don't know where I was going with this, but tHE fAuCI effEcT is only going to get worse, y'all.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know what to do with this information but I thought it was interesting. The 2019-2020 UNC SDN thread reached 1300 posts by April 27th. All the UNC SDN threads before 2019 didn't even touch 1300 posts. We are about to reach 1300 posts by mid-February. UNC has garnered so much attention and hope from premeds like ourselves. As we wait patiently for some resolve from AdComms, just know that UNCSOM and medical school admissions, in general, have gotten astronomically more competitive. There are going to be a large number of qualified applicants that dedicate their lives to this premed process and never see a return on investment. Anyways, I don't know where I was going with this, but tHE fAuCI effEcT is only going to get worse, y'all.
Dang that's a scary but true post. Getting into medical school is going to get harder each year and this scares me even more as I wait to hear back from UNC.

Reactions: 4 users
What I fear now everyday, every time I see an alert on this thread, is that I click on it and see the A's wave and you all post that you are accepted... and then still silence for me. With each new day, I almost dread checking SDN and see I was left out.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Dang that's a scary but true post. Getting into medical school is going to get harder each year and this scares me even more as I wait to hear back from UNC.
It's just so frustrating to see how rural communities all across NC need more doctors and need more care. Yet so many talented and passionate individuals fall to the wayside each year. I know the bottleneck is not medical school spots, but residency positions. I just wish we could take advantage of what we have and close some of these healthcare gaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, its true there are more and more applicants every year, and UNC is trying to expand too (by the time the new building is done, they're supposed to be up to classes of 220ish). But also I feel like with covid, more of y'all have come on here looking for answers and we have more time to be on here bc we're stuck at home lol hang in there y'all!! You're so close!!

Reactions: 1 users
the more i wait the more depressed i get. Hopefully there will be good news today

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Question for @alibon or anyone who might know the answer, the school has to accept at least as many students as number of seats by March 15, and we all find out by then if we've been accepted, waitlisted or rejected. Last year UNC accepted about 300, so is a good number of those acceptances done up front before the March 15th deadline or is it more so acceptances from the waitlist after the 15th as people start making final decisions/opening up spots?

Question for @alibon or anyone who might know the answer, the school has to accept at least as many students as number of seats by March 15, and we all find out by then if we've been accepted, waitlisted or rejected. Last year UNC accepted about 300, so is a good number of those acceptances done up front before the March 15th deadline or is it more so acceptances from the waitlist after the 15th as people start making final decisions/opening up spots?
I can't say for certain, but if I had to guess, I'd say that's the total number of acceptances, including people taken off the waitlist after 3/15. It really wouldn't make sense for them to accept 50% more students than they have room for, when they could accept the number of seats they have and then pull people off the waitlist as seats open up. That way they don't risk having too many people accept and not be able to accommodate all of them.

I can't say for certain, but if I had to guess, I'd say that's the total number of acceptances, including people taken off the waitlist after 3/15. It really wouldn't make sense for them to accept 50% more students than they have room for, when they could accept the number of seats they have and then pull people off the waitlist as seats open up. That way they don't risk having too many people accept and not be able to accommodate all of them.
That makes sense, thank you! Just means there'll be even more waiting in store if we're waitlisted which is a bummer 😓

I know the waiting is brutal, guys. It feels awful right now. But I promise you, a year from now, two years, whenever you get in, it will be totally worth it and it won't seem nearly as bad in retrospect. Hang in there, y'all! You've worked hard to get here, and it will pay off!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I know the waiting is brutal, guys. It feels awful right now. But I promise you, a year from now, two years, whenever you get in, it will be totally worth it and it won't seem nearly as bad in retrospect. Hang in there, y'all! You've worked hard to get here, and it will pay off!
I definitely appreciate the encouragement. It is a frustrating process and honestly, I have to make a conscious effort to not check SDN and my email 1000 times a day. And you are absolutely correct... when we look back it won’t feel so bad.... But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck right now lol

in all seriousness though, thanks for the kind words!

Well, here’s to hoping that we hear something next week!

I know the pain of uncertainty; this is my second application cycle. Funny though, I actually didn’t send in a secondary to UNC last cycle because I didn’t think my MCAT was high enough, and this cycle I sent it in thinking to myself “eh nothing to lose might as well”. I was soooooooo surprised to get an interview. February is still pretty early and a lot of movement has yet to happen. I was in denial about having to reapply until late April last year. I think decisions were trickling out every month until May, and everyday I was frantically refreshing my email and checking my phone wishing to catch the trickle of that good news. It’s painful, and becomes some strange addictive pattern of highs and lows. But in reality, for at least me if not a lot of us, our lives for the next year are dependent on that news, and it’s stressful being in that limbo.

Any who, at this point I would say maybe start considering reapplication. If you have to retake the MCAT definitely plan for that. I know with COVID that extracurriculars, shadowing, job experience can be tricky, but that might be something to start googling and see what’s out there. Just put yourself in a position of preparation and readiness and lookout for your future self so that if you do need to reapply you have your bases covered. You don’t want to go into a state of panic in a few months (like I did). You have the opportunity to prepare calmly, and you have time.

I’m very, very thankful to have some DO acceptances, as my MCAT expires after this cycle and the thought of studying for and retaking it being 4 years out of school felt to me like the plot of some psychological horror thriller.

Wishing you all the best, friends. We are in this together
Accepted yesterday via portal for the MSTP! Interviewed on 1/10-1/12 (Yes we had a sunday interview day).

On the topic, I'm looking at the pre-requisites and it says 3 chemistry courses with 2 labs. Would General Chemistry 1/2 and Labs for both suffice + Biochemistry? Or are they talking about strictly upper level chemistry courses? I ask because I don't have Orgo Lab 1/2.
Congratulations!! Quick question, did you have to do a VITA interview before getting a virtual interview with a real person or was it direct? Thanks

I also feel like my MCAT is low but they didn't ask any concerns about my MCAT during the interview so I don't know how to judge this. I will restudy but its hard to when you are waiting to hear back and have no idea what to expect.
Did you get invited for an AAMC VITA interview by UNC chapel Hill prior to getting an II for the actual virtual interview or was it a straight II

You usually get a VITA email the Thursday following your II email
You usually get a VITA email the Thursday following your II email from UNC.
So did you complete an AAMC VITA interview and an in person one also? Does UNC use the VITA as a prescreen for an actual virtual interview? I got their VITA on 2/4. Thanks for any info

So did you complete an AAMC VITA interview and an in person one also? Does UNC use the VITA as a prescreen for an actual virtual interview? I got their VITA on 2/4. Thanks for any info
No the VITA is only sent to you if you received an II. If you got a VITA invite you likely also have a II so check your spam folder or contact the admissions committee about that. Its used as a supplement to your application sort of like what the casper used to be I think. Most people do their VITA before they interview but I did mine two days after my interview! I recommend doing it before though because your application isn't considered "complete" until it is done.

No the VITA is only sent to you if you received an II. If you got a VITA invite you likely also have a II so check your spam folder or contact the admissions committee about that. Its used as a supplement to your application sort of like what the casper used to be I think. Most people do their VITA before they interview but I did mine two days after my interview! I recommend doing it before though because your application isn't considered "complete" until it is done.
Thank you so much. I completed my VITA. I haven’t received an II email yet and my status is awaiting decision. I sent an email and will call on Monday. Thanks again.

Yep, what Dr. Yerkes Dodson said! If you got a VITA invitation email it means that you have an II from a school that requires the VITA. Could be UNC, could be somewhere else. I was under the impression that UNC interviews ended on 2/1, but that's just SDN hearsay. You complete both the VITA and the virtual interview for UNC, but from what I've heard I think that the virtual interview carries more weight. I think the due date for my VITA was quite a bit later than my interview date was, but I did the VITA during my lunch break on interview day so I didn't have to go through all the trouble of donning the business attire and doing my makeup all over again!
Thanks a lot.

So wait, inteview didn't end on Feb 1st?
I hope not because I got a VITA invitation from Chapel Hill on 2/4 and completed it last week. Waiting on an actual virtual interview, hopefully I get one. My status on the portal is awaiting decision. Will reach out to the office by phone on Monday.

I don't think interviews are over either, I know feb 1st may have been the last official interview date but I know someone who I think has an II but hasn't interviewed yet either. Just a hunch though, I didn't want to pry.

I hope not because I got a VITA invitation from Chapel Hill on 2/4 and completed it last week. Waiting on an actual virtual interview, hopefully I get one. My status on the portal is awaiting decision. Will reach out to the office by phone on Monday.
check your promotions tab if you use gmail-my interview invite from unc went there (as did my secondary application and a bunch of other emails from them)

So based on the As last week, we should expect an email tonight and a call tomorrow? Those were the first instances where I heard of people receiving emails before a phone call

Medical student here who works with admissions! The last interview date was early in February. At this time UNC does not foresee conducting any more interviews.

Reactions: 13 users
Fingers crossed for my Loyal SDN family!! Acceptances today 🙏🏼 🤩

Reactions: 9 users
Is it just me or do any of yall just feel like you personally won't get a phone call. I've been waiting since the first week of Jan and I have lost all hope to the point I think I'll be one of those to be unfortunate and not receive an acceptance. This is so frustrating.

Is it just me or do any of yall just feel like you personally won't get a phone call. I've been waiting since the first week of Jan and I have lost all hope to the point I think I'll be one of those to be unfortunate and not receive an acceptance. This is so frustrating.
I feel the same. I’ve been feeling pretty detached to the idea of receiving an acceptance lately. I still refresh my portal daily but the heightened excitement right before I hit the refresh button is no longer there for me.

I guess the real question is if anybody received a post interview rejection? If there were some and we made it through that batch of rejections we could still potentially have hope.

been waiting since September... just numb to it at this point

Reactions: 7 users
I started jotting down when those who have gotten accepted recently had their interviews just to get an idea of the typical turnaround time. I ended up recording periods spanning from 7 weeks to 16 weeks post-interview. Us January people need to relax for the time being. Just over a month post-interview is apparently an unrealistic time frame to hear back in.
Yeah I really need to chill out cause theres interviewees waiting from September and I'm glad you said there is a 7-16 week time period because that means we are still yet to be reviewed or they are reviewing. Literally I have been waiting for little over a month and I feel tired. I didn't know the minimum of 7 weeks for recent acceptances based on SDN thread. For some reason I thought it was 4 weeks, I think that might've been another school now thinking about it.

Phone call came after email for me. Good luck everyone.

• Love