2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol it is the same portal where you submitted and paid your secondary. you should have gotten a 'custom link' in an email and should be something like applynow.med.unc.edu/ + your name
You can just go to Login (<- this link "https:// applynow. med. unc. edu/ apply/ status" without the spaces) and log in with whatever you signed up with. You don't need to go to your custom link every time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone still waiting on a decision. Does anyone know if there is a facebook page or some other way to connect with the incoming class? Hoping to figure out housing and stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing about financial aid here. I submitted my FAFSA long ago when I got accepted in December I think. I recently submitted the scholarship app too. Recently got my package from Case Western and it was pretty bad (no fault to them since they are private) but I am really hoping for something amazing from UNC or Pitt because ya girl is poor 😭 It doesn't help with the OOS price tag either. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for financial aid info at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all those recently accepted! To those still waiting, keep your heads up.

Also, anyone want to start a group chat for accepted students?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone gotten in with a lower MCAT score? I’m a re-applicant and still have not heard back post-II and I’m thinking it’s because of my MCAT (although I know it’s never that objective).
I was accepted with a 500 MCAT score

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Group chat is an excellent idea.
I'm not accepted (👀) but a good way to start a group chat is to make a GroupMe and then you can just post the link. That's what one of the schools I was accepted to did and it worked great. But again, since I'm not in at UNC [yet?], I'll let someone else do it here lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not accepted (👀) but a good way to start a group chat is to make a GroupMe and then you can just post the link. That's what one of the schools I was accepted to did and it worked great. But again, since I'm not in at UNC [yet?], I'll let someone else do it here lol.
Big congrats on the multiple As!

I prefer Discord. Easy to use across androids, iPhones, Macs, and PCs. It has free unlimited messages. And you can break it off into channels maybe for interest groups or coordinating volunteering events. It also hosts video and audio calls with screen sharing. Then again I haven't used GroupMe extensively and am not sure what it can do. Slack is another great option but if you have a certain number of messages in it, then you have to start paying for a subscription.

Last edited:
I think GroupMe would be a great idea! I know it's widely used by students so many of us may already have it (myself included haha). Congratulations to everyone accepted! For those waiting, as a reapplicant I cannot empathize enough with what you must be feeling, but if medicine and UNC are your calling, keep at it and you'll reap the fruits of your labor soon enough!

Good luck to everyone still waiting on a decision. Does anyone know if there is a facebook page or some other way to connect with the incoming class? Hoping to figure out housing and stuff.
There will be a FB page and UNC already has a link up on their website, but the FB page isn't up yet. I think someone mentioned that it will be up in Spring so, maybe sometime this month or next month..? Also, they could be waiting on CYMST deadlines to get closer so that way the FB page will have students that have more or less "committed" to UNC.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have the ability to become an instate resident of NC before the 2021-2022 cycle. Would that help me?

UNC has a ✨strong✨ in-state student preference so I would say that if you're applying for the first time and your goal is UNC it absolutely would.
Even though I would have gone to high school and college in VA?

Edit: I applied two years ago as an OOS applicant.

Even though I would have gone to high school and college in VA?

Edit: I applied two years ago as an OOS applicant.
I’m sure they just have a system that designates applicants IS or OOS based on the qualifications so if you qualify in the future then you would qualify! They have a ~1% acceptance rate for OOS students so anything to avoid that designation is extremely helpful.

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!! buh na na naaaa na na nuh nuh na

Reactions: 5 users
Last year this week was a mix of everything so hoping for the best but preparing myself for a bloodbath :oops:

Reactions: 7 users
I like how we don’t even know each other but are still supportive. We are gonna make greats docs and I mean that in the least self conceited way possible

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Is the portal down for anyone else? Is this like when the Apple store is down before an event?!

My portal updated with a checklist for transcripts, but they want a high school one. Is this normal?

Awaiting decision, no request for HS transcripts

I hope today is the day I finally get that R

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know UNC’s policy on letters of interest & how to send them? Waitlisted for the MSTP here and I remember them saying that they were receptive to letters, but not how to send them
I thought UNC does not want letters. I'm MD only so does that maybe make a difference?

I thought UNC does not want letters. I'm MD only so does that maybe make a difference?
I did see that on their website, but I could have sworn the MSTP folks told us they wanted to hear from us... eh, I’ll probably play it safe and not send anything. Thanks!

I did see that on their website, but I could have sworn the MSTP folks told us they wanted to hear from us... eh, I’ll probably play it safe and not send anything. Thanks!
It might be different for MSTP if anybody can chime in.

Just got the call!! Accepted!! IS interviewed 11/9

• Love
Reactions: 21 users