2019-2020 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have yet to even receive an interview invitation.. :( They're already in Jan 3 so I have just about lost hope..

you’ve already prematched. Your future is literally in your hands at this point. Kick ass on your boards and get a residency in Houston in a specialty you want to practice in instead of having a pity party.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you’ve already prematched. Your future is literally in your hands at this point. Kick ass on your boards and get a residency in Houston in a specialty you want to practice in instead of having a pity party.
No pity party at all. Im blessed to be in this position. Things happen for a reason

Do y’all think it’s the end of interview invitations? I thought I had the stats to get an interview at this school but it’s only been silence :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y’all think it’s the end of interview invitations? I thought I had the stats to get an interview at this school but it’s only been silence :(
I think they may have more dates although last date of interview invitations posted here was already first week of January. I think most schools in Texas outside of Baylor close in January. McGovern says middle of January.

I think they may have more dates although last date of interview invitations posted here was already first week of January. I think most schools in Texas outside of Baylor close in January. McGovern says middle of January.
Makes sense, the TMDSAS schools won’t have interview dates past Jan 17. That’s the deadline for applicants to submit their rank order of all schools where they have had interviews, on the TMDSAS portal.

I got an II on 11/12, which was surprising because I submitted the secondary one day late. To confirm what others have been saying, the last two available interview dates are on the 3rd and 10th of January.

Umm, I got an MSTP II. But I never did the secondary...? Should I accept the invitation and pretend everything's normal? I am interested in the school, but I didn't do the secondary when I found out you have to physically mail it.

Umm, I got an MSTP II. But I never did the secondary...? Should I accept the invitation and pretend everything's normal? I am interested in the school, but I didn't do the secondary when I found out you have to physically mail it.

They will probably ask you to do it before your date, so you should probably mention it now so you aren’t rushed. I was in a similar situation (applied MD only as well, only did online secondary), and I received an email asking if I had completed it post II.

Have fun at McGovern it’s absolutely amazing!

Received invites today to a College Station and Austin student reception for those that have been accepted, others get these and are they supposed to be the closest locations to where we live?

Received invites today to a College Station and Austin student reception for those that have been accepted, others get these and are they supposed to be the closest locations to where we live?
I got those too! I think we are supposed to pick the location and date that work best for us

What is “MSTP”?

No more prematches recently? I expected more by now.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I got both of those too. I think those are the only places available for the reception. One of my friends also accepted lives in Laredo and only got those options, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my friends just got II today, there was date available for this Friday and for January 10th. Looks like they aren’t done sending out IIs yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ii today for 10jan. However, I have another interview on that date and there were no alternate dates for either school. Anyone else been in this situation? Do I just have to pick between the schools, or can they make space during one of their other interview days if I explain my situation?

ii today for 10jan. However, I have another interview on that date and there were no alternate dates for either school. Anyone else been in this situation? Do I just have to pick between the schools, or can they make space during one of their other interview days if I explain my situation?
Are you instate or OOS? If you are instate, is your other interview also instate?

One of my friends just got II today, there was date available for this Friday and for January 10th. Looks like they aren’t done sending out IIs yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do you know his stats?

:(

I guess UT McGovern is punishing me for being Asian. I’ve yet to receive an interview. I have 513 Mcat, 3.74 gpa, 3.78sGpa. Tons of research hours at Baylor college of medicine, 1 publication, abroad volunteering in Nepal and Honduras, Texas volunteering and shadowing in primary care, surgery, and therapy. This is my second year applying ... what else can I do ??? I honestly don’t know what else I can do. I’ve only gotten 2 in state interviews so far. I’m feeling so helpless. Even if I’m not good enough to get accepted here, I atleast thought I was average enough to get an interview...(also I live in Houston if that matters at all). Being Nepalese, I feel that I am URM, but I guess they lump me in the Asian category. And I’ve seen the acceptance stats for Asians at McGovern. It’s higher than other ethnicities. Why this is the case I don’t know. If someone can help me understand why I’m failing to get interviews I’d greatly appreciate it. (I don’t mean that in a snarky way. Please don’t take this comment as being self righteous. I don’t have amazing stats. I genuinely want advice on what to do.) should I retake my mcat? Join post bac?
All it takes is one admission. How did your interviews go?

I guess UT McGovern is punishing me for being Asian. I’ve yet to receive an interview. I have 513 Mcat, 3.74 gpa, 3.78sGpa. Tons of research hours at Baylor college of medicine, 1 publication, abroad volunteering in Nepal and Honduras, Texas volunteering and shadowing in primary care, surgery, and therapy. This is my second year applying ... what else can I do ??? I honestly don’t know what else I can do. I’ve only gotten 2 in state interviews so far. I’m feeling so helpless. Even if I’m not good enough to get accepted here, I atleast thought I was average enough to get an interview...(also I live in Houston if that matters at all). Being Nepalese, I feel that I am URM, but I guess they lump me in the Asian category. And I’ve seen the acceptance stats for Asians at McGovern. It’s higher than other ethnicities. Why this is the case I don’t know. If someone can help me understand why I’m failing to get interviews I’d greatly appreciate it. (I don’t mean that in a snarky way. Please don’t take this comment as being self righteous. I don’t have amazing stats. I genuinely want advice on what to do.) should I retake my mcat? Join post bac?
Same boat.. LM 73

I
All it takes is one admission. How did your interviews go?
walked out of both of them feeling amazing. I thought I killed both. Didn’t get prematches to either though. I guess I’m just gonna have to wait till match day. But man, this process is super discouraging.

I

walked out of both of them feeling amazing. I thought I killed both. Didn’t get prematches to either though. I guess I’m just gonna have to wait till match day. But man, this process is super discouraging.
Where did you interview if you want to let us know..

Where did you interview if you want to let us know..
UTMB and UTRGV. Not super hopeful about UTRGV as it is near the border and Spanish speakers/Hispanics are more sought after.
I’ve also applied to 9 OOS schools... all being equal or below my stats. But it’s been dead silence so far. Makes me wonder about my future.

UTMB and UTRGV. Not super hopeful about UTRGV as it is near the border and Spanish speakers/Hispanics are more sought after.
I’ve also applied to 9 OOS schools... all being equal or below my stats. But it’s been dead silence so far. Makes me wonder about my future.
I think your GPA and MCAT are good but being lumped with Asians might have the effect of you needing to be better than the average for the school (75% to 90% ile of the school admitted students). Not sure what you are currently doing but I have seen people have a better run this year by doing a post bac (UNT) and reapplying. If you live in Houston, simply taking more advanced science classes at UT Houston or enrolling for a masters is something I would consider.

don't think like that man. every school is different.

i have a 52X and similar GPA as you with solid ECs although maybe not as good as yours haha, but no II :(

It could be a number of things. I think you're actually below Asian average MCAT for Texas schools, and i've heard McGovern cares a lot about essays and "mission fit". You said you got 2 Interviews, make sure you do/did well and you're gonna be a doctor!!

Just keep your head up, you're a great applicant! Med school is tough to get into and putting all our cards in one bucket isn't realistic. Also, they still have a couple interview slots left so lets hope we get on them :)

At least that's what I keep telling myself. sigh.

Reactions: 2 users

I hesitated to respond to this vent of yours, and I'll probably be flamed, but I'll say what I say to everyone.
When applying to med school, be yourself, the most genuine self you can be during your application and interviews.
If your ethnic heritage is important to who you are, it will show as a part of your values, character, and the things you talk about in essays and interviews. If it's not a big part of you (maybe you are 2nd generation and a totally culturally integrated American) then that will come across, too.

It does bug me to see people using it as a bargaining chip, or an excuse, and you seem to be doing both in what you say!
"I'm Nepali, so this should get me some extra points as URM" at the same time you complain "They are punishing me for being Asian."

I suspect you are a re-applicant only due to applying late last season, would this be accurate? Your grades and MCAT are competitive for Texas schools.

Reactions: 13 users
Let's not turn this into an URM vs ORM discussion but prince_ the fact of the matter is that there is so many applicants and schools have certain ways of categorizing applicants. Most of these are probably by race and GPA/MCAT. I think your issue was is that you have the EC's to compete at Baylor/UTSW but not the stats.

I'd think most ORM Asians who get interviews at Baylor/UTSW/UT Houston had research and 3.9+ gpa 516+ MCAT. However I and I know of other ORMs got interviews at UT Houston with lower stats. Doubt I'll get an invite at UTSW or Baylor as an ORM with similar stats as you. The issue is when you start having lower stats, you need to have a more balanced app. So things such as non-clinical volunteering, or other EC's that make you unique. UT Houston is definitely not only looking for stats and research and I got that vibe from my interview. This admissions process is a game and you gotta play it, whether that be faking through countless hours of volunteering or not.

At the end of the day, my theory with med school admissions is that you're competing with your cohort. I bet every med school has some form of a diversity quota, which I believe can be argued to be good or bad, but that's just how it is. If you're a Nepalese dude and you mark Asian on your TMDSAS app, you're more than likely competing for a spot against every other Asian dude applying to that school. Just my thoughts.

@prince_ (I removed my quote of your last post as you did so as well)
If you spend some time with the AMCAS data table A-12 you will see that the % of white and Asian first-time applicants who are accepted is almost identical. AAMC facts table A-12
I know you are frustrated and want more interviews.

Last edited:
Hey @prince_ I know the process is tough, having just gone through it last year. Sometimes, there really is no way to make sense of what's going on. The process isn't perfect. Just keep your head up and try your best. Positivity goes a long way

Reactions: 2 users
If you spend some time with the AMCAS data table A-12 you will see that the % of white and Asian applicants who are accepted is almost identical. AAMC facts table A-12
I know you are frustrated and want more interviews.
I will delete my previous comments because they are off-topic (as the moderator has told me). I would love to talk about it some more but it would be irrelevant to this thread. I just wanted to say that I think you misinterpreted what I said and that we are on the same side. Thanks for your comments.

Are there any current students who could share their feelings on the P/HP/H grading system? Does it cause much extra stress trying to get HP and H?

Are there any current students who could share their feelings on the P/HP/H grading system? Does it cause much extra stress trying to get HP and H?

Current MS1. The MS2s I talk to don't stress about it really. its around 1/3 of the class that gets honors/hp/p, and there's no limit to the number of students who can get honors, in some courses almost everyone gets honors. Also, the exams are NBME not professor written, and your grades in the module portion of the class have a very good correlation to STEP 1 scores.

Reactions: 6 users
Current MS1. The MS2s I talk to don't stress about it really. its around 1/3 of the class that gets honors/hp/p, and there's no limit to the number of students who can get honors, in some courses almost everyone gets honors. Also, the exams are NBME not professor written, and your grades in the module portion of the class have a very good correlation to STEP 1 scores.

Hi! I'm an incoming student next fall. Since the exams are NBME based, do the professors teach more directed towards and NBME styled exam, or do they still focus more on their personal curriculum? I guess I'm asking if the professors lectures are still in line with exams even though they are NBME.

Anyone know how match heavy McGovern is?

Hi! I'm an incoming student next fall. Since the exams are NBME based, do the professors teach more directed towards and NBME styled exam, or do they still focus more on their personal curriculum? I guess I'm asking if the professors lectures are still in line with exams even though they are NBME.

Can't speak from experience since the whole first semester is Foundations (professor written) and NBMEs start with Organ Systems which we'll start right after winter break in Jan. But, from what I know, most MS2s don't watch in-house lectures at all anymore and rely completely on FA, Zanki, Pathoma, QBanks, and BnB. They still get to choose which NBME questions they want, but they are not going out of their way to select low-yield material if that's what your asking. The curriculum people here are very student oriented and recognize that doing well on boards is important. That's why they also provide us with, free FA, free Pathoma, free Uworld, free USMLERx, firecracker, etc.

Can't speak from experience since the whole first semester is Foundations (professor written) and NBMEs start with Organ Systems which we'll start right after winter break in Jan. But, from what I know, most MS2s don't watch in-house lectures at all anymore and rely completely on FA, Zanki, Pathoma, QBanks, and BnB. They still get to choose which NBME questions they want, but they are not going out of their way to select low-yield material if that's what your asking. The curriculum people here are very student oriented and recognize that doing well on boards is important. That's why they also provide us with, free FA, free Pathoma, free Uworld, free USMLERx, firecracker, etc.
Oh shoot! I hope that's all still free for us when my time comes, lol.

Hey guys! I have confirmed they only accept updates post interview. I was told they will be sending invites "through late December" when I reached out. Hope this offers people some positivity - don't give up yet!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys! I have confirmed they only accept updates post interview. I was told they will be sending invites "through late December" when I reached out. Hope this offers people some positivity - don't give up yet!
Hey thanks you have given me hopes.

Has Mcgovern sent out any pre-matches since the first day, and has anyone heard if they plan on sending out more prematch offers? Thanks

I just realized that several emails from UT Health went straight to my junk mail. Although they ask applicants to refrain from asking about updates, do y'all think it would be alright if I give them a call to make sure I didn't miss an email? Or is there any way to check my status on the applicant portal (i.e. should there be an interview tab if I was given an interview?)

I just realized that several emails from UT Health went straight to my junk mail. Although they ask applicants to refrain from asking about updates, do y'all think it would be alright if I give them a call to make sure I didn't miss an email? Or is there any way to check my status on the applicant portal (i.e. should there be an interview tab if I was given an interview?)

Yes, there will be an “interview” tab that appears in the portal once you have been formally invited.

Have any OOS people been accepted since the Oct. 15th prematch? Or should we not expect to hear until post match?

Did others receive the scholarship application today? Does anyone know if McGovern has scholarships available or are they just loans?