2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Today I didn't have work and slept in, missing two calls from Dr. Chan early this morning. Called him back a few minutes before nine but no call back yet lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats EDP people! Did you get a call from the official admissions office number or was a different number? I was going to program it in my phone so I don't keep answering spam calls

Members don't see this ad :)
From the MSAR and the post-II acceptance rate spreadsheet everyone has, the U interviews ~70% of all the applicants from Utah (400 out of 570) Does anyone has a different statistic? Or any clarification?

Last edited:
Anyone else just get a heart attack about the email regarding the application portal update? :scared:

Reactions: 5 users
From the MSAR and the post-II acceptance rate spreadsheet everyone has, the U interviews ~70% of all the applicants from Utah (400 out of 570) Does anyone has a different statistic? Or any clarification?

This video from 2017 explains why. I think that stat is correct.

REALLYYYY regret reading last years thread lmao just made me more neurotic. Anyways, I recognize a few of you posting from reading last years thread and I'm sending all the good vibes your way especially. Hope ya'll wont have to wait until march / april / may to hear a final decision this go around (hope none of us do).

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else just get a heart attack about the email regarding the application portal update? :scared:
Yeah that was insane, but the email was a bit imprecise in its wording. It said to email back if there were any issues, but also to "verify at our earliest convenience". Nothing happened with my app, should I email them back or not you think?

Yeah that was insane, but the email was a bit imprecise in its wording. It said to email back if there were any issues, but also to "verify at our earliest convenience". Nothing happened with my app, should I email them back or not you think?
only email if sth is wrong

Submitted secondary on Sept 1st but it still says secondary pending review with no complete email. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary on Sept 1st but it still says secondary pending review with no complete email. Anyone else?
That’s weird, maybe reach out to them? It took them almost 2 months to send me their secondary but only 2 weeks after I submitted it for the complete email.

Yo I interviewed a couple weeks ago. My U of U portal has an accepted tab. Does this mean anything or is a glitch? Has anyone else seen this?

I'm not EDP or anything, so it has to be a mistake, right?

Yo I interviewed a couple weeks ago. My U of U portal has an accepted tab. Does this mean anything or is a glitch? Has anyone else seen this?

I'm not EDP or anything, so it has to be a mistake, right?
It looks like you got in! They'll probably call you tomorrow!

It looks like you got in! They'll probably call you tomorrow!

Are you sure? I thought acceptances didn't go out until the 15th? I also don't check the portal very regularly, so it could have been added a while ago as a glitch? I don't want to believe it until I hear the words to be honest.

Are you sure? I thought acceptances didn't go out until the 15th? I also don't check the portal very regularly, so it could have been added a while ago as a glitch? I don't want to believe it until I hear the words to be honest.
You’re right. Acceptances can’t be extended formally until the 15th. Although, it sounds like you’ve been accepted!

I looked and I have this too, Interviewed 9/25 regular decision. I am going to guess that they accidentally gave this to everyone who interviewed in September? idk

I got in on EDP and the Acceptance Materials tab showed up for me the day I got the call and email just FYI. Also, I've heard that Oct 15 is not a hard rule.

I looked and I have this too, Interviewed 9/25 regular decision. I am going to guess that they accidentally gave this to everyone who interviewed in September? idk

I interviewed 9/25 too.

So either it's a mistake for that day or we both got in? Honestly I have no idea right now and I'm just gonna try and forget about it.

Well I'm gunna have a hard time sleeping tonight haha

Well I slept okay, but I'm definitely still on edge about this. I have settled on I'm definitely not going to email/reach out to them about this, at least not before the 15th. I'm just hoping I get a call soon, or it gets taken off so that I can go back to normal premed stress.

For those of you who have interviewed, was there ever anything indicated in the portal? I got the "under review" email but haven't heard anything from this school despite being finished rather early.

Sorry, I realized you were probably talking about getting your interview so I deleted my other comment. I got the application under review email then got an interview invite very shortly after. It will come through email with all the instructions.

Reactions: 1 users
Finally some love from Utah! II just now, scheduled for late October. 2 months to get their secondary but only 3 days for the interview invite after being complete :unsure:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you guys think I have any shot at the U with a 3.3 and a 518 mcat? I already submitted my secondary on Oct 6th and it’s currently under review.
Edit: forgot to add I’m IS

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you guys think I have any shot at the U with a 3.3 and a 518 mcat? I already submitted my secondary.

Yes. You need a 500 MCAT and 3.0 GPA at least to get an interview. Once you interview you get scored/ranked. 1/3 of your score is from the interview scores, 1/3 is from MCAT/GPA, and 1/3 is from a vote from the adcom committee.

Your MCAT is high and GPA a bit low so they should probably even out. I think you have a solid chance of it, as long as you interview well and the rest of your application is strong. They emphasize a lot of EC stuff here.

Finally some love from Utah! II just now, scheduled for late October. 2 months to get their secondary but only 3 days for the interview invite after being complete :unsure:

Same! I got my II literally the morning after my secondary was confirmed, but it took close to 2 months to get my secondary.

Yes. You need a 500 MCAT and 3.0 GPA at least to get an interview. Once you interview you get scored/ranked. 1/3 of your score is from the interview scores, 1/3 is from MCAT/GPA, and 1/3 is from a vote from the adcom committee.

Your MCAT is high and GPA a bit low so they should probably even out. I think you have a solid chance of it, as long as you interview well and the rest of your application is strong. They emphasize a lot of EC stuff here.
Thanks for your response. Hopefully I can get an interview. It’s my dream school. The only thing I’m lacking is research and that is mostly due to Covid. If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take for your secondary to be confirmed?

Thanks for your response. Hopefully I can get an interview. It’s my dream school. The only thing I’m lacking is research and that is mostly due to Covid. If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take for your secondary to be confirmed?

A week or so I think. I don't really remember in all honesty. It was longer compared to other schools, but wasn't super long. I think the U is a little slower with some things this cycle than many other schools.

A week or so I think. I don't really remember in all honesty. It was longer compared to other schools, but wasn't super long. I think the U is a little slower with some things this cycle than many other schools.

Oh dang, I didn't know there was an "official complete email." Hmm, I forgot to click the "not a reapplicant bubble" when I submitted my secondary though so it had a missing checkmark but I emailed them about two weeks ago and they said my file was complete and ready for review. I never got an official complete email though and still haven't... I think I'll be good to just wait it out, yea? Thoughts anyone? I mean common sense says I should be good since they said its ready for review but I dont trust anything about this cycle at this point, lol it's driving me nuts. Sorry for being obnoxious lol

Oh dang, I didn't know there was an "official complete email." Hmm, I forgot to click the "not a reapplicant bubble" when I submitted my secondary though so it had a missing checkmark but I emailed them about two weeks ago and they said my file was complete and ready for review. I never got an official complete email though and still haven't... I think I'll be good to just wait it out, yea? Thoughts anyone? I mean common sense says I should be good since they said its ready for review but I dont trust anything about this cycle at this point, lol it's driving me nuts. Sorry for being obnoxious lol

If you emailed them and they said it's fine then you're fine. I wouldn't worry.

II today! WICHE applicant, ORM, mediocre stats, oodles of clinical experience, secondary complete around 9/15

Good luck everyone. I hope to see a bunch of you next fall. <3

Good luck everyone! Gona be staring at my phone all day!

What time of day did all you EDP people get the call?

If we've interviewed how likely are we hear back in the next few days??? Gonna be a nervous wreck for sure

If we've interviewed how likely are we hear back in the next few days??? Gonna be a nervous wreck for sure

To be honest its super hard to say. Looking back at last years thread there's a decent amount that hear back in the first little bit, then even more hear in March. It probably depends on when you interviewed and how much they like you I guess.

What's the itinerary like for the Medical School interview day? Virtual MMIs or panels? Interviewing for MD/PhD and taking in faith that interview day is pretty straightforward

Good luck with the call soon! Does your portal still have the accepted tab?

Yep! I'm hoping it means they accepted me a couple weeks ago and just haven't called yet, because from my understanding they have to manually add the tab to your page, but who knows?!?! I haven't heard anything today if that helps figure things out at all

What's the itinerary like for the Medical School interview day? Virtual MMIs or panels? Interviewing for MD/PhD and taking in faith that interview day is pretty straightforward

It starts at 08, you have a 1 hour welcome session. You're split into two groups, one does MMI first, one does the SJT first. After you go through both rotations you have a meeting with current med students for ~1 hour, then a final brief from the diversity office, and another admissions person. To be honest the actual interview stuff was very intense compared to other interviews I've had, but the day overall was very relaxed and you get a lot of breaks, so it isn't bad.

Also, they will tell you that it's "lunch with the med students" and I took this to mean I should bring food to the video call. DONT DO THIS!! I was the only person with food and kept trying to sneak bites when I thought nobody was looking, just eat before this meeting, they gave us like a 30 min break.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
It starts at 08, you have a 1 hour welcome session. You're split into two groups, one does MMI first, one does the SJT first. After you go through both rotations you have a meeting with current med students for ~1 hour, then a final brief from the diversity office, and another admissions person. To be honest the actual interview stuff was very intense compared to other interviews I've had, but the day overall was very relaxed and you get a lot of breaks, so it isn't bad.

Also, they will tell you that it's "lunch with the med students" and I took this to mean I should bring food to the video call. DONT DO THIS!! I was the only person with food and kept trying to sneak bites when I thought nobody was looking, just eat before this meeting, they gave us like a 30 min break.

Hahahaha thank you for the details and the pro tip about lunch, I would've just let my food go cold for fear of having all the sounds of chewing come through everyone's speakers like some med interview ASMR rendition

Hahahaha thank you for the details and the pro tip about lunch, I would've just let my food go cold for fear of having all the sounds of chewing come through everyone's speakers like some med interview ASMR rendition

It was just pasta so thankfully it wasn't too loud, but honestly the interviews are pretty mentally strenuous so I was getting hangry and wasn't gonna let anything keep me from my food at that point.

Good luck everyone! Gona be staring at my phone all day!

What time of day did all you EDP people get the call?

Yeah, the call I missed was at about 7:50am, then he called back around 9am!

Anyone hear anything? Last year a few people posted they got the call the week after the 15th, and they all interviewed early/mid September, so someone should hear something pretty soon! From past years it also looks like most people will hear within ~2 months of the their interview OR on March 15th.

I also met someone else who interviewed on 9/25 that has the acceptance materials tab on their student page and hasn't heard anything. It still seems weird that some of us do and some of us don't. I guess we'll all find out soon enough!

Anyone hear anything? Last year a few people posted they got the call the week after the 15th, and they all interviewed early/mid September, so someone should hear something pretty soon! From past years it also looks like most people will hear within ~2 months of the their interview OR on March 15th.

I also met someone else who interviewed on 9/25 that has the acceptance materials tab on their student page and hasn't heard anything. It still seems weird that some of us do and some of us don't. I guess we'll all find out soon enough!
I feel like they call people either Thursdays or Fridays so Im going to guess there will be some accepted people by end of next week