2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally did the SVI / Kira video interview and... I have a feeling it did NOT go well. I stutter when I get nervous and my written response wasn't great ugh. Lol bout to make a STRONG drink and prepare for my MMI next week.

Also congrats to those who got II's since the last wave :)
Truly rooting for us all.
I also did my SVI today. It is a STRUGGLE and such a tough format. I have a feeling most people don’t do super awesome on it. Luckily it’s only worth one MMI station

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call from Dr. Kay for MD-PhD and I'm still shaking!! Interviewed 10/15

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone who interviewed on 10/9 hear back yet?

Interviewed 9/18 and haven't heard anything back yet. Would hate to have to wait until March to find out if I got in here or not. :/

Interviewed 9/18 and haven't heard anything back yet. Would hate to have to wait until March to find out if I got in here or not. :/
Same, interviewed 9/28. Have heard that a lot of people are accepted in March though. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, interviewed 9/28. Have heard that a lot of people are accepted in March though. Fingers crossed!
From what I understand, they only send out about 1/3 of their acceptances before March 15, is this consistent with what they’ve told you at assessment day?

I interviewed late October and Dr. Chan basically told us that if they really want us, they’ll accept us within the month. If not, it’s waitlist til next year.

I interviewed late October and Dr. Chan basically told us that if they really want us, they’ll accept us within the month. If not, it’s waitlist til next year.

From my understanding there's a score threshold based off the score they talk about during the interview (1/3 = GPA/MCAT, 1/3 = Interview Score, 1/3 = Faculty Vote)

So if you score over a certain amount, let's say 90%, you get an immediate acceptance. If you score below a certain amount, lets say below 10%, you get an immediate rejection. If you score somewhere in the middle then you have to wait until March, and those that are left and have the highest scores are then accepted with those just below them being waitlisted.

I want to make sure it's clear that I don't know this for certain. I have many friends in med school at the U, a handful of which have been the students that help with interviews, and from what I've gathered it's something along these lines.

From my understanding there's a score threshold based off the score they talk about during the interview (1/3 = GPA/MCAT, 1/3 = Interview Score, 1/3 = Faculty Vote)

So if you score over a certain amount, let's say 90%, you get an immediate acceptance. If you score below a certain amount, lets say below 10%, you get an immediate rejection. If you score somewhere in the middle then you have to wait until March, and those that are left and have the highest scores are then accepted with those just below them being waitlisted.

I want to make sure it's clear that I don't know this for certain. I have many friends in med school at the U, a handful of which have been the students that help with interviews, and from what I've gathered it's something along these lines.
That's basically what Dr. Chan said during my interview. I think the process is fairly transparent at the U.

Reactions: 1 users
Right. From what I recall, this is mainly what they stressed re: hearing back. Obv I'm trying to remain optimistic, and it seems that the latest acceptance was for the 10/2 interview date (based on this thread at least). Maybe they'll be bunching together the interview dates after 10/2 and making some calls soon?

I completed my secondary over a month ago and just now got the email thanking me for completing and I'm now under considered under review. Better late than never!! Love utah

Does anyone know the UUSOM policy on letters of intent? I don't see any information on their website regarding this.

Does anyone know the UUSOM policy on letters of intent? I don't see any information on their website regarding this.
As far as I know they don’t do them. Might change if you’re placed on a waitlist but I think their EDP is their way of doing any sort of letter of intent

Hey guys! Could you guys link or let me know what resources you used to prepare for your MMI’s and SJT? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys! Could you guys link or let me know what resources you used to prepare for your MMI’s and SJT? Thanks in advance!
MMI practice questions: MMI Questions: 200 MMI Interview Questions for 2020

Here’s how I structure most of my responses: Pugs' MMI Interview Strategy

And if you want to learn more about ethical scenarios in medicine: Ethics in Medicine | UW Department of Bioethics & Humanities

IMO, if you prepared for CASPer and now practice some MMI scenarios you’ll be more than ok. Show them your empathy, compassion and understanding of different perspectiveses. And don’t forget to smile!

hey everyone, congrats on those who got interviews/acceptances! i was just wondering if UUSOM accepts updates pre-II? and if they do, do we just email them? cuz i don't see an upload option on their portal

hey everyone, congrats on those who got interviews/acceptances! i was just wondering if UUSOM accepts updates pre-II? and if they do, do we just email them? cuz i don't see an upload option on their portal
They don’t accept updates pre-II or post-II

Hey y'all! Does anyone know if we are allowed to take notes when we are given the MMI prompts? Anyone who has already interviewed / been accepted use this method? I wasn't able to find the information in the assessment day instructions and my interview is Friday so officially starting to stress since this is my only II thus far haha. Thanks in advance!

Interviewed on 10/9 and got acceptance call yesterday

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed on 10/9 and got acceptance call yesterday
I interviewed 10/23 so hoping for the call in the next week or two! Congratulations! Would you mind DMing me your stats / how you felt the interview went?

Do you receive the login info for the SJT on assessment day? I haven’t got an email yet and I’m interviewing tomorrow

Hey y'all! Does anyone know if we are allowed to take notes when we are given the MMI prompts? Anyone who has already interviewed / been accepted use this method? I wasn't able to find the information in the assessment day instructions and my interview is Friday so officially starting to stress since this is my only II thus far haha. Thanks in advance!
Yes I took notes!

• Care

I also took notes, it helped me a lot!

You are not allowed to take notes; that's what the dean told us when I asked if we could take notes during the MMI.

You are not allowed to take notes; that's what the dean told us when I asked if we could take notes during the MMI.

I asked the same question during my interview and Goldie said we could as long as we shred them after. I even told each of my interviewers that I was going to take 30 seconds to jot notes down and collect my thoughts before I answered.

Ditto to the comment above. Someone asked Goldie during my MMI and they said we were allowed to take notes as long as we destroyed them afterwards

+1 someone asked this on my interview and Dr. Chan said applicants were not allowed to do this during in-person interviews in previous years, so we shouldn’t do it.

Sounds like everyone should ask Goldie, not Dr. Chan.

Ditto to the comment above. Someone asked Goldie during my MMI and they said we were allowed to take notes as long as we destroyed them afterwards
Yeah seems like we were in the same interview. I wrote down my thoughts just to help brainstorming but I didn't refer to them during my answer so it didn't look like I was looking away from the interviewers.

Does anyone know the stats for WL vs. R vs. A after an interview at the U is like? Like what percentage of those who've interviewed get a R vs a WL vs an A?

Does anyone know the stats for WL vs. R vs. A after an interview at the U is like? Like what percentage of those who've interviewed get a R vs a WL vs an A?
According to MSAR and the SDN post-II acceptances spreadsheet for 2019: ~560 interviews which ends up in a total of 182 acceptances. However, ~approximately 90 people are placed on the WL and 75 are accepted off the waitlist. So based on this, I imagine there are ~110 initial acceptances given, and a majority of those students reject their offers so there is a lot of WL movement to reach the enrollment cap of 125. Obviously this cycle with COVID could change a lot of this though. Perhaps more initial acceptances, longer WL, and more WL movement.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
According to MSAR and the SDN post-II acceptances spreadsheet for 2019: ~560 interviews which ends up in a total of 182 acceptances. However, ~approximately 90 people are placed on the WL and 75 are accepted off the waitlist. So based on this, I imagine there are ~110 initial acceptances given, and a majority of those students reject their offers so there is a lot of WL movement to reach the enrollment cap of 125. Obviously this cycle with COVID could change a lot of this though. Perhaps more initial acceptances, longer WL, and more WL movement.
Yes one of the most comforting things I saw was a wait list is almost an acceptance. The U is one of the only schools I saw on MSAR that posts their wait list information.

Yes one of the most comforting things I saw was a wait list is almost an acceptance. The U is one of the only schools I saw on MSAR that posts their wait list information.
so does the waitlist come out in March as well?