2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

so does the waitlist come out in March as well?
They have to notify everyone of their application status by March 15. I'm not sure if they wait list before that date. But if they love you you get an acceptance within about a month. If you're near the top you can get an acceptance any time between after a month up until that March 15th date. End of April is when you have to reject acceptances and still get your tuition deposit back so up until then is when the most wait list mobility is.

My friend last cycle interviewed in September, got wait listed on March 15, and got accepted April 28.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to MSAR and the SDN post-II acceptances spreadsheet for 2019: ~560 interviews which ends up in a total of 182 acceptances. However, ~approximately 90 people are placed on the WL and 75 are accepted off the waitlist. So based on this, I imagine there are ~110 initial acceptances given, and a majority of those students reject their offers so there is a lot of WL movement to reach the enrollment cap of 125. Obviously this cycle with COVID could change a lot of this though. Perhaps more initial acceptances, longer WL, and more WL movement.
Oh my that is amazing. That's quite the large WL move-around so that's good to hear. I haven't heard back yet from my Interview but that's kinda reassuring haha. Thanks so much 🙂
 
Anybody still waiting to hear back after submitting a secondary and getting the confirmation email? Time to assume an R?
I still haven't gotten the confirmation email. I emailed them about it over a month ago and they basically just told me they were busy. I submitted my secondary 8/27, they verified my LORs 9/25. Has anyone else still not gotten the "complete" email?
 
Hmm, that's around the same time I did. I'm not certain but I think they put more factors into play than just "who submitted first." My friend got an interview invite last week for January so I would say they have at least a couple more weeks of interviewing people but I honestly have no idea for sure. The complete email has a subject of "application status".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my rough understanding, not anything official, but thought it could help people out. After December 24th the University is either on holiday or administrative leave until after the New Year. I don't know if they will be working the week after Christmas but based on this I would assume not so admission decisions might be delayed a little more.
 
Hey guys! So, I just got a voicemail from Dr. Chan (I am at work so i missed the call) asking me to call back. I did and the person who answered said Dr. Chan was busy at the moment but would let him know to call me back. Is there a high chance this is an acceptance call? Please help me out I'm freaking out rn thanks :')
Yeah this is like 99.99% chance of an acceptance. (source: previous years' threads, lol)

So congrats! When was your interview date?
 
Last edited:
That's so exciting! I'm glad they are into November interviews now. I interviewed mid-November, so I'm hoping for good news sometime soon. Getting an acceptance before the holidays would make it much easier to relax and have fun.
Yes that would be amazing. Interviewed 9/25 and would love it haha
 
That's so exciting! I'm glad they are into November interviews now. I interviewed mid-November, so I'm hoping for good news sometime soon. Getting an acceptance before the holidays would make it much easier to relax and have fun.
AHHHH it was an acceptance omg I'm crying rn AHHHHH. Just finished finals yesterday and now I feel completely free for this winter break 🙂) Thanks so much for your positive words. Manifesting an A for you rn! 🙂)) <3
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think that admissions decisions around the holidays will be delayed at all?
My 5 week mark from my interview date is pretty much Christmas Eve 🙁. I am hoping I don’t have to wait till March to find out although I know many do!
 
Do you guys think that admissions decisions around the holidays will be delayed at all?
My 5 week mark from my interview date is pretty much Christmas Eve 🙁. I am hoping I don’t have to wait till March to find out although I know many do!
I’m sure it will be delayed. But don’t lose hope cause of that! I’m still waiting and I interviewed before you. Hang in there
 
How much of the class do they fill before March? Anybody want to give me their best guess? If you get to March 15 and hear nothing is that a guarantee WL or R? Or do some As go out that day as well? Is it a minor percentage?
 
How much of the class do they fill before March? Anybody want to give me their best guess? If you get to March 15 and hear nothing is that a guarantee WL or R? Or do some As go out that day as well? Is it a minor percentage?
Utah is well known for its "non-rolling" admissions. I would guess that only about ~15% of the interview pool hears anything prior to March. The only reason I say that is because I had a family member who sat in on admissions work during their fourth year of med school here.
 
How much of the class do they fill before March? Anybody want to give me their best guess? If you get to March 15 and hear nothing is that a guarantee WL or R? Or do some As go out that day as well? Is it a minor
To add to that comment it’s either a WL or an R after that. There was no guarantee either way. My bet is most will get WL. They did say some A’s are possible that day.
 
Utah is well known for its "non-rolling" admissions. I would guess that only about ~15% of the interview pool hears anything prior to March. The only reason I say that is because I had a family member who sat in on admissions work during their fourth year of med school here.
This wasn’t my experience last year. I think they used to do it this way but I don’t think they do anymore. Last cycle most people who were waiting until March were either WL or R. There were a few exceptions of people getting the acceptance call in March, but not many ):
 
Guys!! Got the call this morning! I’m a re-applicant who interviewed 11/16 and so excited to be a doctor!! Best of luck to you all and thanks for all the question answering.
Super exciting!

Lol I'm hoping this isn't' a fat RIP if I interviewed on 11/13.

Are there any Idaho applicants lurking on here that have been accepted? I would love to know if their process is different at all depending on which applicant pool we are placed in.
 
Anybody know when admissions goes on holiday break? I interviewed on 11/20 and Dr. Chan said we should hear back before the New Year. Lol trying to gauge (if I did well enough on interview day / rest of app) if I'll hear back before or after Christmas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody know when admissions goes on holiday break? I interviewed on 11/20 and Dr. Chan said we should hear back before the New Year. Lol trying to gauge (if I did well enough on interview day / rest of app) if I'll hear back before or after Christmas.
They are reviewing a group of applicants next week before Christmas, I don't know if they'll call them before Christmas. Although it seems the general trend is they review a group on Tuesday and call on Wednesday. I'm thinking they won't meet until after the new year after this group because the University has paid leave the whole week after Christmas.
 
Super exciting!

Lol I'm hoping this isn't' a fat RIP if I interviewed on 11/13.

Are there any Idaho applicants lurking on here that have been accepted? I would love to know if their process is different at all depending on which applicant pool we are placed in.
I interviewed with you, and I also feel this signifies I'm screwed. This entire process just absolutely sucks.
 
I interviewed with you, and I also feel this signifies I'm screwed. This entire process just absolutely sucks.

I've been dying the last couple of days hoping that I would get the call this week. Were you in group A or B on the interview day?