2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They told us in my interview that the admissions committee usually meets on Monday to discuss the applicants who interviewed the previous week, so I'm guessing they would discuss you on 10/19 and if that's the case you probably wouldn't hear back until December 16th!
This is a great point however that is not how it works. Having interviewed here two times in two different cycles I assure you that everyone prior to the release date will be included as this is what they say every single year! :) feel free to continue to disagree but I promise you I am not just making assumptions like you are :)
[/QUOTE]
Wasn’t disagreeing, would be more than happy for such a quick turnaround. Just hesitant given the inherent waiting throughout this process and hopeful careful consideration that goes into Sending out offers. I appreciate your info thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a great point however that is not how it works. Having interviewed here two times in two different cycles I assure you that everyone prior to the release date will be included as this is what they say every single year! :) feel free to continue to disagree but I promise you I am not just making assumptions like you are :)
Not trying to disagree or make assumptions, I was just trying to speculate based on the info I was given on my interview day to help @nibhighfootballrules better predict when they might hear back. Just think it's nice to try and help each other through this process! Thanks for the info.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to disagree or make assumptions, I was just trying to speculate based on the info I was given on my interview day to help @nibhighfootballrules better predict when they might hear back. Just think it's nice to try and help each other through this process! Thanks for the info.
Totally hahaha honestly over text you can never tell anything sorry if I came accross as sassy!! :)

• Care
Honestly I have been trying to keep cool but I'm getting anxious for this release day

Honestly I have been trying to keep cool but I'm getting anxious for this release day

Sorry if this has already been asked, this is a long thread, but are post-II rejections also given out on these offer days? Or is it more like, if you interviewed before Oct. 16th and do not get an offer on Oct. 16th then you should anticipate that you were probably rejected?

Sorry if this has already been asked, this is a long thread, but are post-II rejections also given out on these offer days? Or is it more like, if you interviewed before Oct. 16th and do not get an offer on Oct. 16th then you should anticipate that you were probably rejected?

I am not completely sure because what they said on interview day sounded different than the status update given post interview. On Interview day it sounded like getting placed on hold meant you won't be rejected and will either be accepted or waitlisted. The portal update, however, sounds like there is still the possibility of being rejected.

finally moved to sub-committee :D
+1! Completed early august and have been on the 'member of the committee one' since then sooo this is nice! no email notificaiton I just checked the portal.

If we interview on October 13th, will we still hear back on October 16th??

Interviewing tomorrow! Any advice from past interviewees?

I have my afternoon interview scheduled for tomorrow (OOS, LM 67, complete 8/31). For those who were confused like I was, it appears that afternoon interviews start with ~2.5 hours of information sessions/tours and then end with the MMI. Morning interviews I believe begin with the MMI and then conclude with the information sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my afternoon interview scheduled for tomorrow (OOS, LM 67, complete 8/31). For those who were confused like I was, it appears that afternoon interviews start with ~2.5 hours of information sessions/tours and then end with the MMI. Morning interviews I believe begin with the MMI and then conclude with the information sessions.
Came here looking for this info. Thanks! See you tomorrow!

I wonder when we will move from subcommittee to review complete. Its been like 2 months...

+1 feels like I’ve been stuck here forever

Are there any MD/PhD applicants that have heard back? My application has been stuck on "Your File Review is now complete" for a few weeks....

If we interview on October 13th, will we still hear back on October 16th??
According to @Talldoctor96 a little further back on this thread, all applicants who interview prior to October 16th are eligible to hear back on October 16th, even if their interview was only a couple days before.

According to @Talldoctor96 a little further back on this thread, all applicants who interview prior to October 16th are eligible to hear back on October 16th, even if their interview was only a couple days before.
Correct that is how it was done the past 2 cycles. You will know if you were considered for the date because you will either be put on hold for acceptance/WL/rejection (when waitlist is formulated) or you will be rejected outright.

Has anyone received an interview recently? seems like they have slowed down

Correct that is how it was done the past 2 cycles. You will know if you were considered for the date because you will either be put on hold for acceptance/WL/rejection (when waitlist is formulated) or you will be rejected outright.

...for the last 2 cycles (years), 10/16 fell earlier in the week. This makes a difference.

Last edited:
...for the last 2 cycles (years), 10/16 fell earlier in the week. This makes a difference.
Sure, but it wasn't just for 10/16 it was the rule for each of the four dates some of which fell later of the week. Its silly to be squabbling about this, can easily just be figure out by someone just asking at their interview :)

Sure, but it wasn't just for 10/16 it was the rule for each of the four dates some of which fell later of the week. Its silly to be squabbling about this, can easily just be figure out by someone just asking at their interview :)
Lol no one is squabbling. Just trying to provide accurate information to nervous applicants. I wanted the same info when I was in those shoes. It’s really nice that you want to share your experience as an applicant here but it’s worth considering that there may be others on this thread with a more intimate knowledge of the process here

Last edited:
really really hoping vcu isn't done sending II's. one of my top choices after i browsed their website and talked to some students. i think the last time someone reported II they were booking in january

Definitely aren’t done sending interviews!

Reactions: 4 users
really really hoping vcu isn't done sending II's. one of my top choices after i browsed their website and talked to some students. i think the last time someone reported II they were booking in january

It's literally October 8th. No med school is close to done sending out interviews. It's still quite early in the cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
does this just mean we weren't rejected after they admissions holistically reviewed our app?
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a default post-review message or if it's possible we could've gotten the post-II R

Lol no one is squabbling. Just trying to provide accurate information to nervous applicants. I wanted the same info when I was in those shoes. It’s really nice that you want to share your experience as an applicant here but it’s worth considering that there may be others on this thread with a more intimate knowledge of the process here
Huh

does this just mean we weren't rejected after they admissions holistically reviewed our app?
From what I've been told, after they holistically score you post interview, you are either rejected or on hold for possible A/WL based on that score. They update the portal accordingly

Reactions: 2 users
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a default post-review message or if it's possible we could've gotten the post-II R
From what they said during the interview, I believe the status can update to a rejection or a hold for a possible acceptance. So you could have been rejected but weren't!

What it means is that you were given a score by the whole adcom which is like 30/40 people. They look at everything and score u 1/5 1 being good. On October 16 about 200 people will have been interviewed, and they will offer approximately 50 acceptances. Those 50 people will be those with the 50 highest scores: it’s all a numbers game. There’s a cut off set up and if ur score is below that they will reject you immediately and you effectively failed the interview.

if you received the hold for A, that means you did not fail the interview andare eligible to be in that top 50 group. The score you got at ADCOM meeting will last the whole cycle and nothing will change it. If you don’t get accepted on 10/16 you will be pushed to the next day 12/16(or whatever. Historically your best chance for acceptance is on that first day. People do get in on subsequent dates but there’s less of a chance. After all 4 dates pass, and you haven’t heard anything there’s a big pool of those who haven’t been accepted. That number needs to be reduced to make the WL. So in theory being put on hold for A does not guarantee a waitlist spot. On like some day in March or early April they will add people to the alternate list. That alternate list is ranked by that initial score you got at committee and they go down in that order.

Reactions: 10 users
just got offered an interview!! my first for the cycle. seems like the earliest i can schedule is for feb 2021 though rip
wish it were sooner

Reactions: 5 users
just got offered an interview!! my first for the cycle. seems like the earliest i can schedule is for feb 2021 though rip
wish it were sooner
congrats!! do you mind sharing your stats and your complete date and when you moved to subcommittee? thanks again!

congrats!! do you mind sharing your stats and your complete date and when you moved to subcommittee? thanks again!
yeah sure - should've included that originally, my bad!

LizzyM ~75. IS. complete 7/28. I don't think I ever moved to the subcommittee stage. It was always "committee" for me. Got notification that my file review was completed two days ago.

Reactions: 2 users
yeah sure - should've included that originally, my bad!

LizzyM ~75. IS. complete 7/28. I don't think I ever moved to the subcommittee stage. It was always "committee" for me. Got notification that my file review was completed two days ago.
Its okay!! I appreciate you sharing with us!

wish it were sooner

Are you sure the earliest was Feb? That just seems absurd that they're already booked until then.

What it means is that you were given a score by the whole adcom which is like 30/40 people. They look at everything and score u 1/5 1 being good. On October 16 about 200 people will have been interviewed, and they will offer approximately 50 acceptances. Those 50 people will be those with the 50 highest scores: it’s all a numbers game. There’s a cut off set up and if ur score is below that they will reject you immediately and you effectively failed the interview.

if you received the hold for A, that means you did not fail the interview andare eligible to be in that top 50 group. The score you got at ADCOM meeting will last the whole cycle and nothing will change it. If you don’t get accepted on 10/16 you will be pushed to the next day 12/16(or whatever. Historically your best chance for acceptance is on that first day. People do get in on subsequent dates but there’s less of a chance. After all 4 dates pass, and you haven’t heard anything there’s a big pool of those who haven’t been accepted. That number needs to be reduced to make the WL. So in theory being put on hold for A does not guarantee a waitlist spot. On like some day in March or early April they will add people to the alternate list. That alternate list is ranked by that initial score you got at committee and they go down in that order.

That's a lot of potentially valuable info, so I must ask, how do you know all this?

Are you sure the earliest was Feb? That just seems absurd that they're already booked until then.

That's a lot of potentially valuable info, so I must ask, how do you know all this?
Interviewed last two cycles. If ya don’t believe me take a read :) it’s all there ! Dean mission who recently posted is the assistant admissions dean and posted most of this info :)

@Talldoctor96 If my interview date is at November 18th, does that mean I was ranked lower than those interviewed earlier?

Yeah lol, I did a triple take when I saw the dates. I'm not sure if it means they're fully booked until then. My first thought was that they didn't like my app enough to give me an earlier date?

Not sure what goes on behind the scenes, but it is what it is. i'm just gonna roll with it. Happy I got an invite though I'm sure my chances of being accepted are lower in Feb just by nature of there being less acceptance slots available.

No the only ranking that matters is your final ranking from the _ADCOM after your interview
This is not entirely true.

@Talldoctor96 If my interview date is at November 18th, does that mean I was ranked lower than those interviewed earlier?

There are several rankings that happen throughout the process. The final adcom ranking is important for your final status, but there are scores earlier in the process that play a role.
A later interview date (and I would not consider November late) could be indicative that initial scores may not have been as high as those who interviewed earlier but it may also reflect other things.
The only negative to a later interview is having to wait, which is never fun, but once you have an interview, regardless of when it is scheduled, you are in a great spot from our perspective.

Last edited:
Happy I got an invite though I'm sure my chances of being accepted are lower in Feb just by nature of there being less acceptance slots available.

How late you interview wont affect your chances of being accepted!

Again, this is not entirely true.

There are several rankings that happen throughout the process. The final adcom ranking is important for your final status, but there are scores earlier in the process that play a role.
A later interview date (and I would not consider November late) could be indicative that initial scores may not have been as high as those who interviewed earlier but it may also reflect other things.
The only negative to a later interview is having to wait, which is never fun, but once you have an interview, regardless of when it is scheduled, you are in a great spot from our perspective.

Sure I mean if we want to go into the DEEP details: at adcom they are presented with you interview score (which is very important) and your score from your initial review and then 1 adcom reviews everything over the weekend and presents you to the committee. It is your final score, tho, which influences completely your final fate. And Dean mission has said repeatedly the interview score is the most significant factor. One must not also forget your casper score if were getting nitpicky. But your performance at your interview >> that initial file score when adcoms are deliberating.