2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To contextualize the comment about crime reporting, most cities report crime from their entire county/metropolitan statistical area. St. Louis City, however, does not, and only reports crime from St. Louis City, not St. Louis County. So there are definitely methodological worries in how we arrive at the numbers. Violence is definitely a problem in the city, but it's unclear if STL deserves the reputation it gets. From talking with my classmates, most to all of the folks I talked to feel pretty confident about our personal security on or closely around the med campus, but we all also tend to take precautions like walking in groups or using the WashU Safe app. I hope all of that helps more thoroughly answer questions about safety!
That acutally cleared up a lot! I heard that it was "misreported" but I didn't really know how. Thanks for all your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I've lived in several cities in my life including Oakland and St. Louis (I was a WashU undergrad who spent tons of time at the medical campus and lived near CWE). I wouldn't be surprised at all if the crime rate in St. Louis is much higher than that of Oakland. St. louis as a city & a county has a lot of areas to improve including racial inequity, segregation, poverty, gun violence, etc. CWE is the great place to hang out but you still have to be careful.
There are pros and cons of living in St. Louis but I still want to say that if I have a chance to attend WUSM, I'd definitely want to go. Facilities are wonderful, med school professors (ones I interacted with) are caring and supportive, and you just have so many opportunities to get involved in! The cost of living is significantly lower than other cities (you can even find a luxurious housing less than $1000 a month while in some cities, you might even need to share a tiny room with others). Foods there are just amazing...

Reactions: 1 users
For 1, absolutely. I don't get those emails, so if you could DM me a screenshot just so I know what it looks like and so I don't sound like an idiot trying to describe it, I can bring it up.

For 2, also absolutely. We're super behind this year. There's a reasonable chance we'll be interviewing into late February or early March. We aren't even done reviewing all the applicants!
Hi, thank you for being in the forum. Is there any chance for mid to late September complete secondaries to be considered for an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thank you for being in the forum. Is there any chance for mid to late September complete secondaries to be considered for an interview?

There's always a chance. We haven't finished reviewing applications yet for IIs, so any II might be on the later end, but there are tons of IIs yet to go out

For people who have gone to the financial aid session, tour, etc - are students still dressing professionally? I know a few mentioned earlier that they were the only ones not in professional attire, but wanted to see if that was anybody else's experience. I was just planning on dressing business casual but don't want to stand out too much haha.

RT

I emailed thank you letters to my interviewers directly, but should I also upload them to the portal?

I emailed thank you letters to my interviewers directly, but should I also upload them to the portal?

Sometimes the OoA will add thank you notes to the portal automatically, but it never hurts to upload them yourself! If the OoA does it too you can just delete yours

Is the standardized video interview general behavior/path to medicine questions like VITA or are there also school-specific questions? I interview next Monday and was debating if I need to do my school-specific prep before the video interview.

Is the standardized video interview general behavior/path to medicine questions like VITA or are there also school-specific questions? I interview next Monday and was debating if I need to do my school-specific prep before the video interview.
It's very "what would you do in this scenario"...just be prepared to be given difficult scenarios and find a way to solve them within a couple of minutes. Also be very cognizant of the time you take to answer the questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Oof on that video assessment...here's to praying they care about the in-person interviews more

Reactions: 3 users
Oof on that video assessment...here's to praying they care about the in-person interviews more
I feel you. I've got my in-persons coming up and reallyyyyy praying those count the most. I have to imagine they do since the SVI was so few questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can confirm that the in-person interview is more heavily weighted than the video assessment!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Do you guys expect WashU to start sending some As this week?

II! Completed 8/11, OOS

Reactions: 1 user
II! Complete 7/31, OOS.

ummm is it just me, it seems like the website is super slow and I don't see any interview slots from now all the way to April 2021....

ummm is it just me, it seems like the website is super slow and I don't see any interview slots from now all the way to April 2021....
Yea I had to call the admissions office to schedule the interview. They're scheduling them between now and November 20.

@neurosabre - thank you for stopping the weekly informational (aka heart attack) emails!
Congrats to those who received IIs today.
I am still waiting!

II! Complete Early August, OOS

As a born and raised St Louisian who applied here, the area is NOT SAFE. People are randomly shot on the highway in the area. Its a shame that I feel so unsafe at such a good school. Would not walk anywhere alone without my family member who is a police officer. Just my opinion

I can try to give perspective as someone who has lived in St. Louis the past 5 years or so now as a student who graduated from WashU undergrad this May and as an applicant on a gap year living in CWE right now. Because I grew up in a suburb in NorCal and am Asian American, the past years have definitely changed my perspective and tolerance for crime. So far I have not personally had any experiences with crime, but I know a few friends who have. From the emails I've received over time --from both undergrad and med school campus (because I conducted research there) --generally I think most crimes are armed robberies --especially car robberies and car jackings. During my time as an undergrad who has lived on campus and off campus, I felt pretty safe in populous areas such as Delmar Loop. Once in a while something crazy occurs (Man charged in Delmar Loop hammer attack), but I think that's pretty rare. I think even shootings are normally not in the areas that undergrad students and med students would be. From quick headlines I see on local news, I think many occur more north or east from the students' areas--although it is maybe only 10-15min drive away haha. Even now, living in CWE with a car that's parked outside, I feel relatively safe by living with common sense. These days because of COVID, I'm not walking around outside much so maybe that also decreases my chances in experiencing anything. The Metro train is just okay but better than nothing --compared to my experiences in South Korea, Boston, and Bart in California. Sometimes you might feel unsafe because it can get rowdy on the train and much more at night because some metro stops are actually pretty sketchy, but I've never had any issues so far.

Maybe it's just my premed neurotic personality, but I do always have a worry in the back of my mind and now check crime rate maps and statistics before I move somewhere or travel when choosing an Airbnb haha. Just a note, but most of St. Louis crime is located in St. Louis City which is different from St. Louis County --although they are right next to each other. For reference, the undergrad campus is technically in St. Louis County and the med school is in St. Louis City. However, I've noticed in the past few years that some off campus areas that are popular with undergrad students have been increasing in crime emails. The best advice I can give would be to not walk alone or maybe not walk at all at night.

Tl;dr I haven't personally experienced any crime by not walking alone at night and by being wary of my surroundings --don't stay glued to your phone while walking at night.

To provide another perspective, I lived in St. Louis for several years and I LOVE the city. All major cities have issues with crime. This is what happens when marginalized populations aren't given adequate access to resources. It's an infrastructure issue that is systemic. But St. Louis has a lot to offer and WashU has incredible medical training. The likelihood of you getting harmed is pretty low unless you are out here gang banging lol

II received! Complete 8/22, OOS but deep ties to washu :) I guess since none of the dates seem available website, should I call admissions tomorrow?

II received! Complete 8/22, OOS but deep ties to washu :) I guess since none of the dates seem available website, should I call admissions tomorrow?
Yeah, would recommend calling if they're not available by tomorrow. It was the same for me, but I refreshed and suddenly they popped up so I quickly scheduled it lol. But I have a friend who had to call to schedule.

does it say "application has been processed" for anybody else on the portal but received no news...?

For the folks wondering about WashU Wednesdays and attire - I (and the other WashU admissions liaisons) have been told that we can wear casual clothing. And we aren't snitches, so I wouldn't worry too much about dressing fancy. I sure won't be

For the eventbrite events, are those formal or informal dress?

For the eventbrite events, are those formal or informal dress?
From what I've heard, the campus tour is a little less formal than the other two, which should be what you would wear to your interview. I haven't had the other two yet, but in my campus tour maybe like half of us were formally dressed and the other half were just dressed nicely. The tour guide was just wearing a white coat so not a suit or anything but not sweats either. The way it's set up is you can BARELY see people's screens in the campus tour (it's just like tiny little thumbnails) so nobody is looking at what you're wearing.

How long after my interview will they start dishing out As? (Rs or waitlists or holds for that matter)

How long after my interview will they start dishing out As? (Rs or waitlists or holds for that matter)
I read on a 19-20 bulletin that they'd begin making admissions decisions on a rolling basis starting in early November (Admission to the School of Medicine | Washington University in St. Louis).

However, according to SDN, last year people started getting acceptances in late October (2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis).

According to their most current website and specifically for the 2021 cycle, they start in November (Important Dates | Medical Student Admissions).

We won't know for sure until we see them start coming out!

I read on a 19-20 bulletin that they'd begin making admissions decisions on a rolling basis starting in early November (Admission to the School of Medicine | Washington University in St. Louis).

However, according to SDN, last year people started getting acceptances in late October (2019-2020 Washington University in St. Louis).

According to their most current website and specifically for the 2021 cycle, they start in November (Important Dates | Medical Student Admissions).

We won't know for sure until we see them start coming out!

Going to reiterate - the Admissions Liaisons were told late November this year. We're a solid month or so behind on everything this year. If we get a more specific date, I'll let y'all know. I know how much it sucks to be waiting for a call!

• Love
Going to reiterate - the Admissions Liaisons were told late November this year. We're a solid month or so behind on everything this year. If we get a more specific date, I'll let y'all know. I know how much it sucks to be waiting for a call!
Do they usually do calls before/instead of emails?

Pretty much always. I got my call on a Thursday and didn't get the email until Monday or Tuesday

Neurotic but does anyone know what the play sign vs check of the interview status means? does it mean your interviewer submitted their stuff if its a check?