2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@neurosabre Thank you for being here and providing advice! I want to thank my interviewers but have a legit question for one of them as well, I'm curious if I should follow this up separately or include all of this in the email and copy admissions too? Also, this is total neuroticism but are thank yous typically just an email or should it be like a formal pdf attachment to an email?

ty!!

I think it's totally fine to just write an email instead putting a thank you into a PDF. Absolutely include the question in the email and copy admissions! You have a much higher chance of getting it answered if it's in one email.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
II just now! Kind of surprised because I submitted a bit late (complete 9/17). LM 77

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II 2 hours ago! first date was right before thanksgiving, rest of dates were first week of December! Good luck
I don't see any available dates! I did see the II 1.5 hour later...but not all dates should be gone, right?

II now as well! Super excited for this one. But @jm95, I also can't see any available dates. The email says that we may have to call them.

Reactions: 2 users
+1 to this issue, I just emailed them now!
This was a problem for me in the first round of II's also. Must be something wrong with their calendar widget on the website. They should be able to sort your out with available dates when you email them.

I think it's important to note that we've been told that there's no maximum % of people who can get honors or high pass during clerkships, so theoretically everyone can get h/hp. Hopefully this will reduce internal competition significantly. I have no clue if it actually will (talk to me in 2 years and I'll be happy to give my opinion then) but that's the thought behind it, at least

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How big is WashU on demonstrated interest? eg. I interviewed last week...should I send in an LOI ASAP (or will it not make a huge difference)?

Last edited:
Can anyone in this thread speak to the gateway curriculum? I've been researching it but I'd like to get a better insight into what makes it unique and innovative.

Can anyone in this thread speak to the gateway curriculum? I've been researching it but I'd like to get a better insight into what makes it unique and innovative.
All I know so far is what's on their web page. Hoping to learn more at the admissions Zoom before my interview, or from students.

Based on what I learned from interview day, there isn't much more info than what's on the website since it's so new

The curriculum zoom session goes into really, really deep detail about the new curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody else had trouble with the virtual tour? I signed up for the 11/6, 5 pm slot and it kept me in limbo as I was "waiting for the tour guide," which didn't change after 20 min. I rescheduled for today at 5 pm, and the same thing happened - perpetually in the waiting area. Not sure what's happening; maybe something's wrong on my end, or the tour schedule isn't accurate?

Has anybody else had trouble with the virtual tour? I signed up for the 11/6, 5 pm slot and it kept me in limbo as I was "waiting for the tour guide," which didn't change after 20 min. I rescheduled for today at 5 pm, and the same thing happened - perpetually in the waiting area. Not sure what's happening; maybe something's wrong on my end, or the tour schedule isn't accurate?
Did you make sure it was 5pm CT? (Idk if you're in a different time zone)

I also had trouble - actually signed up for the exact same time slot and experienced the same thing.

Do you send multiple separate updates to your portal or thank both interviewers in the same update?
Bumping this! Not sure if I should thank both at once or have separate thank you letters if I'm going to upload them to the portal (as opposed to emailing directly)

Bumping this! Not sure if I should thank both at once or have separate thank you letters if I'm going to upload them to the portal (as opposed to emailing directly)

I really wouldn't worry about this that much. Personally I'd go for separate, and talk about specifics in each one. As always, make sure you let admissions know that you're uploading something to your portal.

How big is WashU on demonstrated interest? eg. I interviewed last week...should I send in an LOIntent/Interest ASAP (or will it not make a huge difference)?

WashU loves demonstrated interest! We historically give out around 300-350ish acceptances (I think? One of y'all with the MSAR can say better) for a class of 100-125. So finding people who really do want to come here is big

I really wouldn't worry about this that much. Personally I'd go for separate, and talk about specifics in each one. As always, make sure you let admissions know that you're uploading something to your portal.

WashU loves demonstrated interest! We historically give out around 300-350ish acceptances (I think? One of y'all with the MSAR can say better) for a class of 100-125. So finding people who really do want to come here is big
Thanks for answering this! I was curious when we should submit a letter of interest/intent. IE if we know WashU is our top choice should we still wait to submit a letter of intent like next month and send a letter of interest in the meantime? And if so when should we send the letter of interest?

@neurosabre hello! thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions! If we didn't let the admissions office know that we uploaded an update/interest letter to a portal, would they not be notified at all? I had uploaded a letter last month without emailing admissions, so it seems a little too late to let them know now - unless they would never see it otherwise. thank you!

When is the next Why WashU Wednesday that's focused on Curriculum? I really wanted to hear more about it but I never got in invite for the one they said would be scheduled this month.

Three very good questions!

Thanks for answering this! I was curious when we should submit a letter of interest/intent. IE if we know WashU is our top choice should we still wait to submit a letter of intent like next month and send a letter of interest in the meantime? And if so when should we send the letter of interest?

You can send a letter of interest whenever. It's always a good idea to marry it to an update letter if you have one. Letters of intent are trickier. I wouldn't be thinking about that until late February or early March. For one, you never know where you might get an interview. Secondly, once acceptances start you might get in without needing a letter of intent. Third, a letter of intent can hurt your bargaining power for financial aid and merit scholarships. Fourth, if you do write that letter but need to decline an offer for any reason, that can reflect poorly on you for residency. The upside to a letter of intent right now is obviously that there are more spots, but I'm not sure that outweighs the negative parts at the moment.

@neurosabre hello! thank you so much for taking the time to answer all these questions! If we didn't let the admissions office know that we uploaded an update/interest letter to a portal, would they not be notified at all? I had uploaded a letter last month without emailing admissions, so it seems a little too late to let them know now - unless they would never see it otherwise. thank you!

I honestly don't know what the portal notifications look like on the admissions side. I'm sure they have some sort of notification system, though. I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you emailed them to check and see if it was received.

When is the next Why WashU Wednesday that's focused on Curriculum? I really wanted to hear more about it but I never got in invite for the one they said would be scheduled this month.

I think we're doing one next Wednesday (11/18) but I'm not entirely sure.

Keep the questions coming! I can't promise I'll get to them immediately (we're doing immunology, which means memorizing a million things that all start with C) but I'll try to check back sporadically

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
@neurosabre I emailed my interviewers separately for thank you notes but didn't copy admissions. How should I proceed in this case? Thanks so much.

They said before Thanksgiving during my interview. Could be any second now, I guess.
At my MSTP interview, they said they'd call us on 11/13 (today!!) with a decision (they said most likely a deferral)... still no call :(

At my MSTP interview, they said they'd call us on 11/13 (today!!) with a decision (they said most likely a deferral)... still no call :(
Oh boy! I imagine the MSTP committee and MD one are separate so timelines might be different. Good luck!

Oh boy! I imagine the MSTP committee and MD one are separate so timelines might be different. Good luck!
Thanks! They implied that decisions come out around the same time for both. However, you're right; it's possible the MSTP committee would contact applicants first due to the smaller size.

Good luck to you too! Maybe we can be classmates :)

Do you all think the decisions will include those from early-Nov interview dates? Other schools have mentioned that early-Nov interviewees would hear back in Dec/Jan so they had enough time to deliberate but not sure about WashU and they didn't mention anything about it in the info sessions

6 PM CST already, maybe next week?

I got the call today! Around 3:00 pm- I have to check my call history every hour to make sure I didn’t imagine it

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
I got the call today! Around 3:00 pm- I have to check my call history every hour to make sure I didn’t imagine it
Was this MSTP or MD ? Congratulations !!! When did you interview ?

+1 !!! I literally did the same wrt checking call history repeatedly lol
Was your call from a St. Louis area code? I missed a call yesterday that I thought was a robocall, but they didn’t leave a voicemail so I don’t think it was an acceptance.

Was your call from a St. Louis area code? I missed a call yesterday that I thought was a robocall, but they didn’t leave a voicemail so I don’t think it was an acceptance.
Yep, it was! And I don't think them not leaving a voicemail means it wasn't an acceptance. They said that they are sending any official emails out on Monday, so they may have just chosen to let you find out then.

Anyone have tips for the Kira interview?

Relax, use your prep time to build a mental outline, and don’t get tricked by the fun practice questions (the real ones are normal interview fare)

Reactions: 2 users