2021-2022 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Ultravox Vienna for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Eastern Virginia Medical School Secondary Essay Prompts: (2000 characters max each)

1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else getting spammed with the secondary email? 😂

Reactions: 3 users
For describe yourself and medical career 10 years from now
I guess I'm wondering what describe yourself approach you are taking. I don't like talking about myself so this is difficult. Do they mean like where you live, if you are married or not/ kids, your personality? Seems kind of strange to want to know this. Anyone taking this in a different direction?

can someone post the prompts?
1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine. (2000 characters)
2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician? (2000 characters)
3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician? (2000 characters)
4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now. (2000 characters)
5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS. (2000 characters)

@wysdoc

OOS secondary received! Was just verified earlier today as well. Does EVMS still screen for secondaries? Seems to be a pretty quick turnaround time.

There's no way they do prescreening lol if I got verified and received the secondary on the same right?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are sending individual letters rather than committee letter, does anyone know what you need to put in the blank field that is placed above "Letter Writer One"?

If you are sending individual letters rather than committee letter, does anyone know what you need to put in the blank field that is placed above "Letter Writer One"?
I am also lost as to what they want us to put in this blank...

I'm also confused at the Letter of Rec section - my school sends a Letter Packet with a Cover Letter (but it is not a committee letter) so I'm wondering if I should select the option for the 3 individual letters instead. Anybody have any thoughts?

I saw on the EVMS secondary that they need a letter from my graduate advisor. I just started my graduate program so I am not sure who I would even ask for this letter and what they could even write about me. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also if I am submitting a committee letter, how would I submit another letter to EVMS specifically? Do I have to add it to the committee letter or can I just submit through AMCAS?

are they not doing the pre-screen anymore? Also got mine a few hours later after submitting my primary.

Good luck to everyone applying.

are they not doing the pre-screen anymore? Also got mine a few hours later after submitting my primary.

Good luck to everyone applying.
I’m thinking they do not, even though MSAR advisor reports state otherwise. I also received my secondary early this morning (submitted primary over the weekend).

Update: They might do a basic screen.

Last edited:
Is anyone still waiting on this secondary? OOS and haven't received yet.

Is anyone still waiting on this secondary? OOS and haven't received yet.
Yes. I'm OOS with primary verified on 07/05/21. Haven't even gotten a receipt of primary.

For the secondary question: 1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

Should I be trying to talk about all of my clinical experiences that have exposed me to medicine and talk about its generalities or focus on a few with anecdotes attached. I don't know why, but I find this prompt frustrating to answer. I feel going from anecdote to anecdote feels forced and cliché when I read my answer

Does this school require a non-science letter of recommendation, if you are doing individual letters? Thank you for your help!

For the secondary question: 1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

Should I be trying to talk about all of my clinical experiences that have exposed me to medicine and talk about its generalities or focus on a few with anecdotes attached. I don't know why, but I find this prompt frustrating to answer. I feel going from anecdote to anecdote feels forced and cliché when I read my answer
I only focused on a couple. Felt jarring for me otherwise as well

For the pre-reqs, are you all putting every course that fits under the umbrella (ie every biology course you've taken) or are you just picking two courses that fit?

I'm also confused at the Letter of Rec section - my school sends a Letter Packet with a Cover Letter (but it is not a committee letter) so I'm wondering if I should select the option for the 3 individual letters instead. Anybody have any thoughts?
+1.
MSAR says they accept Letter Packets but I don't know where that falls for this section. Do we tell them to only look at 3? Or select the committee one?? Most places have 3 options not just 2 so I'm confused..

+1.
MSAR says they accept Letter Packets but I don't know where that falls for this section. Do we tell them to only look at 3? Or select the committee one?? Most places have 3 options not just 2 so I'm confused..
I tried reaching out to get an answer and didn't hear back so I just submitted my application. If I recall correctly, I think I selected the 3 and just put the names/info of the first three letters in my packet. I'm sure schools will know what's up when they see it come as either a packet or individual letters.

Interesting, I haven't got an app complete and I submitted a week and a half ago. Perhaps I should reach out? I'm also not sure if my Letters of Rec could be the culprit since I didn't include a non-science professor in my packet.

Interesting, I haven't got an app complete and I submitted a week and a half ago. Perhaps I should reach out? I'm also not sure if my Letters of Rec could be the culprit since I didn't include a non-science professor in my packet.
Well this is awkward, I just got the secondary complete email lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the schools pre req requirements for application? I still have some labs left to take and was wondering if they require them by the time you apply or matriculate? Thank you!

still have not got my secondary yet :(

edit: I was verified first day, have stats well within their range, and tons of service hours, but I am OOS. Idk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
still have not got my secondary yet :(

edit: I was verified first day, have stats well within their range, and tons of service hours, but I am OOS. Idk
Im still waiting too, OOS, I have an IA so I wonder if they screened for that? My app also in their ranges.

In state but still have yet to receive a secondary :/ stats are within range and I have all the necessary LORs... anyone else in a similar boat?

Yes. I'm OOS with primary verified on 07/05/21. Haven't even gotten a receipt of primary.
I'm also OOS, verified on 6/20 with stats above any pre-screening. No secondary yet, kinda getting worried.

I'm not sure exactly what their screening criteria are, but I know they do screen as one of my friends who was an in-state applicant was denied a secondary last cycle.

Anyone else having trouble logging into the portal? I'm able to log in to my AAMC account just fine but the EVMS portal keeps saying I have the wrong info..

I'm also OOS, verified on 6/20 with stats above any pre-screening. No secondary yet, kinda getting worried.
Just received a secondary at 12:57 AM. Be on the lookout. I'm actually glad that this secondary was so late that way I had time to focus on some of the other ones that I was less confident in.

OOS applicant, never got a secondary. Just got my first rejection of the cycle. Thanks EVMS! I don't know what they use to screen, but it is definitely not statistics since my GPA and MCAT are both above their averages. What probably got me was my lower number of volunteer hours and non-traditional clinical experience since they are very service-heavy in their class profile. Best of luck to everyone else!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
OOS applicant, never got a secondary. Just got my first rejection of the cycle. Thanks EVMS! I don't know what they use to screen, but it is definitely not statistics since my GPA and MCAT are both above their averages. What probably got me was my lower number of volunteer hours and non-traditional clinical experience since they are very service-heavy in their class profile. Best of luck to everyone else!
Sorry to hear that, keep your chin up! Best of luck to you the rest of the way!

Reactions: 1 user