2021-2022 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks to me that they are simply going through applications and placing the overwhelming majority on hold after the first pass to prioritize handing IIs to a select few (who knows what they are looking for). From previous years, the first wave of IIs come out in July, and then waves in the middle and end of each following month. No reason to be concerned about an on-hold or currently reviewed status

edit: come out in LATE July (the 27th)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks to me that they are simply going through applications and placing the overwhelming majority on hold after the first pass to prioritize handing IIs to a select few (who knows what they are looking for). From previous years, the first wave of IIs come out in July, and then waves in the middle and end of each following month. No reason to be concerned about an on-hold or currently reviewed status

edit: come out in LATE July (the 27th)
This also likely means they initially score your application on the first pass, and I imagine they will look back at the applications in a queue going down from the highest-ranked applicants down.

Reactions: 2 users
For the first question did you guys give an hourly breakdown for your activities? Like how many hours per week you plan on scribing, volutneering etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone get like a completion email when you submit your secondary? I can't find mine but my portal has the pdf of my submission and I submitted 7/4 and my status hasn't changed :/

did anyone get like a completion email when you submit your secondary? I can't find mine but my portal has the pdf of my submission and I submitted 7/4 and my status hasn't changed :/

Personally didn’t get any confirmation email either. It seems a lot of us are still only being marked as complete right now

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

They are re-reviewing me, instead of putting me on hold. I guess they are not too sure

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

They are re-reviewing me, instead of putting me on hold. I guess they are not too sure
This is the famous hold for re-review that most of us are on in this thread haha

Reactions: 5 users
What does it mean if my portal says:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

I have had this status since 7/6.
Means that they haven't decided to put you on hold or interview you yet, or haven't looked at your app yet.

Yep, got this same message. I submitted my secondary on 6/30. But it says online they don't even start interviewing until August. What does this mean? It clearly says "hold for re-review at a later date" and I'm pretty sure I got this message last cycle when I applied. Does everyone receive this message since they're not sending out interviews until August?

It this like an initial ranking or screen that I didn't pass bc not competitive enough? Or am I just gonna get a rejection email next March lol

Edit: Why are people saying this isn't a Hold? Doesn't it say right in the message that it's a "hold for re-review"? Is there another kind of hold?

Yep, got this same message. I submitted my secondary on 6/30. But it says online they don't even start interviewing until August. What does this mean? It clearly says "hold for re-review at a later date" and I'm pretty sure I got this message last cycle when I applied. Does everyone receive this message since they're not sending out interviews until August?

It this like an initial ranking or screen that I didn't pass bc not competitive enough? Or am I just gonna get a rejection email next March lol

Edit: Why are people saying this isn't a Hold? Doesn't it say right in the message that it's a "hold for re-review"? Is there another kind of hold?
i’m pretty sure this is the only hold message there is

what happened last cycle when you got the hold? Did you ever get off the hold?

I feel like since you have gone through this before maybe you know better than us on here on what happens after a hold?

I feel like since you have gone through this before maybe you know better than us on here on what happens after a hold?
Last year I was placed on hold in August and received a II in January, while there were some people who got a II pretty soon after going on hold. Most people will go on hold, and it is definitely not a bad sign for your application, they really will re-review your file a bunch of times throughout the cycle to compare you to a bigger applicant pool like they say.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t get put on hold is it a bad sign for other schools?
To my knowledge GW is the only school that uses holds this way, at most other schools it is considered a soft rejection. (there may be one or two more that I don't know about)

Ya but assuming one isn’t good enough to get a hold, they basically have no shot at a lot of other schools. I’m asking because I’m not even hold

Ya but assuming one isn’t good enough to get a hold, they basically have no shot at a lot of other schools. I’m asking because I’m not even hold
if you are on complete, i'm pretty sure they just haven't decided yet, I am pretty sure right now it would be: reject, hold, interview

so much speculation when no one actually knows anything about GW's process... :whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Nope, never got off Hold. Rejected in January

So I got a message in my portal saying that they reviewed my application but I am being put on hold. Is this a bad sign?

“Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Science is complete and has been reviewed by the admission committee. To this date , no final decision has been made and the admission committee has placed your application on hold for re-review.”

anyone know if the pre-II hold is basically a rejection ?
Have they started sending out II? I am in the same boat, and I am scared that it’s an easy let down.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks on-hold means soft R when it seems like there have been people in past years that got off hold and ended up being accepted? It really just sounds like they want to compare on-hold apps to the rest of the app pool over time.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not sure why everyone thinks on-hold means soft R when it seems like there have been people in past years that got off hold and ended up being accepted? It really just sounds like they want to compare on-hold apps to the rest of the app pool over time.
Yeah this!! You guys have to realize they only just started reviewing apps. It's barely August, you're all gonna drive yourselves insane at this rate...breathe!

Reactions: 6 users
When I open the Portal I get this message:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.

Does this mean I'm under review or on hold?
under review. On hold is a different message.

You are on hold I believe.

under review. On hold is a different message.
Actually, if you look at previous years under review is a separate thing where the green text says something like, "your file is under review". The complete message just means they haven't gotten to you get.

Actually, if you look at previous years under review is a separate thing where the green text says something like, "your file is under review". The complete message just means they haven't gotten to you get.
they seem to not be doing that this year, a couple others and I received a switch from complete to on hold without going into review, I know b/c I am neurotic and was checking like insanely

Did everyone who says they are on hold get this exact message "Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience." The above in the thread is confusing me, I thought we all got the same message

Reactions: 5 users
they seem to not be doing that this year, a couple others and I received a switch from complete to on hold without going into review, I know b/c I am neurotic and was checking like insanely
Yeah I'll be honest I checked the portal way too many times and I think I got a very quick switch from complete to hold too

Reactions: 1 users
Complete 7/9. Just placed on hold. From reading last years thread it looks like all the early IIs went directly from under review to II.

Complete 7/8, no status change on my portal so far (still have the 'your file is now complete' message) :/

Speculation will be the death of me, but I’m gonna do it anyways: I wonder what this means?
lmaaaoooo same im trying to stay away from it because I don't want to get my hopes up and i have no idea how they're reviewing apps. My guess is they have multiple people reviewing apps and perhaps there's no particular order? So maybe it really is the case that they haven't gotten to our apps yet

Seems there hasn’t been any interviews in a while. I wonder if they’re now holding the IIs rather than showing them on the portal

Yes. I have been reviewed and placed on hold for re-review
I also was placed under re-review. From my understanding this is like being placed on hold. I think it means that they are waiting to interview the applicant much later in the process if at all and it is there way of protecting their matriculation statistics from what I have read online. They put people in this stage often when they think it is quite likely the applicant will attend other schools and so they wait until later in the process to see if they pull their app and see if they want to accept applicants from this less interested pool. I wouldn't say this is always the case though at all, GW is just known for doing this with applicants with great stats.

I also was placed under re-review. From my understanding this is like being placed on hold. I think it means that they are waiting to interview the applicant much later in the process if at all and it is there way of protecting their matriculation statistics from what I have read online. They put people in this stage often when they think it is quite likely the applicant will attend other schools and so they wait until later in the process to see if they pull their app and see if they want to accept applicants from this less interested pool. I wouldn't say this is always the case though at all, GW is just known for doing this with applicants with great stats.
isn’t this the normal hood message? I am pretty sure this is the only hold message there is

isn’t this the normal hood message? I am pretty sure this is the only hold message there is
What’s the point of applying early if all they do is put everyone on hold 🙄

Reactions: 4 users
completed 7/10, just placed on hold

it sounds like gw yield protects, which explains why so many high stat applicants got put in hold. i was looking through the past threads as well and this is a common thing

does anyone know if that interview message someone got is real or not? I haven't seen anything like it in past threads. Also has anyone who submitted before 7/10 still not on hold?
Still on complete rn, submitted/complete on 7/6 lol