2021-2022 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not saying it’s impossible of course but has anybody received an R or has not been put on hold despite being complete before 7/15? Seems like initially it is either II or R

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not saying it’s impossible of course but has anybody received an R or has not been put on hold despite being complete before 7/15? Seems like initially it is either II or R

Yeah, so they interview their immediately most desirable candidates then come back to re-review applicants who have potential but just weren’t their top priority. It’s pretty much how every other school works, GW is just more transparent with the status updates

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I think early on in the cycle the volume of holds is really high as they don’t know exactly what they want their class to look like yet so they only interview the most desirable candidates. I think later on in the cycle it goes straight to R or II much more quickly.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
someone on the tracker already got rejected from george washington so.

For those of you interviewing here: what date were you assigned?
I’m interviewing 9/10 but was hoping to find out if there are people interviewing before then!

Have any late July submitters found out their "hold" fate yet? I submitted my secondary 7/2, but my primary wasn't verified until 7/27... so ig my submission date is 7/27. And I'm still on the generic "your file is complete" status. I'm wondering if this means my app has yet to be reviewed or if I've been passed over for even a "hold" status :'(

For those of you interviewing here: what date were you assigned?
I’m interviewing 9/10 but was hoping to find out if there are people interviewing before then!
interviewing this thursday, but I'm ED fwiw

Reactions: 3 users
Have any late July submitters found out their "hold" fate yet? I submitted my secondary 7/2, but my primary wasn't verified until 7/27... so ig my submission date is 7/27. And I'm still on the generic "your file is complete" status. I'm wondering if this means my app has yet to be reviewed or if I've been passed over for even a "hold" status :'(
I submitted my primary on 06/07, but it wasn't ready for review until like 06/22. I got verified on 07/26, but I already sent my secondary early July. I found out my status for hold coupled days ago. It took about 3 weeks to go from complete to hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Just checked my portal, and my status is:
Your file has been reviewed and you will receive a formal invitation by email about how to schedule a virtual interview. Until the time the formal invitation is sent, there is nothing additional you must do.”

Judging by everyone else here that means II? If so, I’m in total disbelief.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hold today. I am not optimistic about holds. Last cycle I had several holds, that never turned into interview invites smh.

• Sad
I submitted late July and I just got my hold status today so I wouldn't worry yet :) good luck!

• Care
Just checked my portal, and my status is:
Your file has been reviewed and you will receive a formal invitation by email about how to schedule a virtual interview. Until the time the formal invitation is sent, there is nothing additional you must do.”

Judging by everyone else here that means II? If so, I’m in total disbelief.
AYEEE congrats!! When were you complete?

I know people are going to hate this (including me, I’m on hold), but I really think a majority (if not all) of these holds are soft R’s. I was able to only find a select few on the thread last year who were converted into a II. I’m staying positive, but with the amount of applications GW has I can’t help but think a hold is an R.
I agree tbh

Reactions: 2 users
AYEEE congrats!! When were you complete?
I was complete 7/26! I'm OOS, super non-trad and a reapplicant so I'm genuinely floored. I even have a picture in front of the GWU bust when I traveled to D.C. like 8 years ago, so it really feels like I'm being pranked.

• Care
I know people are going to hate this (including me, I’m on hold), but I really think a majority (if not all) of these holds are soft R’s. I was able to only find a select few on the thread last year who were converted into a II. I’m staying positive, but with the amount of applications GW has I can’t help but think a hold is an R.
GW is a school where a hold truly means they're going to come back. The school does get a ton of applications though so statistically a lot of holds do not get interview invites.

However, a hold does not equal rejection, it just means they're going to reassess you later. I received an acceptance off of a hold and lots of my classmates did too.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Got the pre-II hold as well. Not sure when though because I haven't checked the portal in a while.

I was complete 7/26! I'm OOS, super non-trad and a reapplicant so I'm genuinely floored. I even have a picture in front of the GWU bust when I traveled to D.C. like 8 years ago, so it really feels like I'm being pranked.
Thats amazing!! very happy for you and best of luck in the interview! Go make that dream come true

• Care
I understand. Thank you for sharing your experience in this. Was this at GW?

I assume so not to go through these thousands of holds, they probably have a hierarchy of holds and likely rejections.
Yes, I’m currently a MS1 at GWU.

I do not want to comment on the application review process since I literally know nothing about it (and have no experience from the non-applicant side). I’m not sure if there is some sort of hierarchy for holds. All I know is my personal experience. I received a hold, was on hold until winter, received an interview invite, and then received an acceptance. I knew people who didn’t get a hold/weren’t on hold as long as I was, and were waitlisted after the interview. My personal experience was that even though I was on hold for half of the cycle, I was still deemed to be a good fit for the school. So being on hold isn’t a bad thing nor does it diminish your chances overall. However, GW is a very low yield school so a lot of holds do not convert to an interview invite. But being on hold doesn’t mean you’re rejected. If that makes sense. (I would essentially assume a hold from GW is the same as silence from another school. You don’t assume you’re rejected.)

Reactions: 8 users
I went through last years thread and found at least 20 people who got IIs after holds.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Thats amazing!! very happy for you and best of luck in the interview! Go make that dream come true
Thank you so much! Lets get that A, I'm sure I'll be seeing you with that "got an II" post any day now!

• Care
Got an II this morning!!!!! I'm a reapplicant and retook MCAT and my score had a huge drop so I was giving up! OMGGG

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Thanks @megaworld & @bluefeather for the reassurance :) It's tough not to get rattled during this process ! Best of luck to you all as well :D. And congrats to the II peeps, GWU is such a dope school !!!

• Love
OK Guys so I had my II... it went well I think. Be ready for the classic interview questions... Smile, be positive and really emphasize why you wana go to GW!!!

Reactions: 9 users
OK Guys so I had my II... it went well I think. Be ready for the classic interview questions... Smile, be positive and really emphasize why you wana go to GW!!!
I'll be talking to myself in the shower doing "mock interview sessions" based on this advice, thank you

Hey everyone, i just wanted to confirm that we don't get complete emails from GWU. We only get on the portal, "my file is complete..." That's all right?

Hey everyone, i just wanted to confirm that we don't get complete emails from GWU. We only get on the portal, "my file is complete..." That's all right?
yup, they do everything on portal mostly, so always check it.

• Love
Oh I've been on hold for a while it seems. Completed 8/2. It was the first secondary I did and my essays for it were super not polished so I can't say I'm surprised but still, F in the chat if this means a soft R :/

• Care
On hold today :'(. Verified/submitted 7/27. GL everyone!

• Care
Are there any current GW students I can message? I have some questions about the curriculum and stuff…

Complete 7/30; put on hold this morning.. has anyone been rejected yet or is it review = interview or hold?
Edit addition: Based on previous years were people rejected before being put on hold?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, was everyone invited to the upcoming Student Panel, or just interviewees?

anyone who has interviewed or has an upcoming one- where did you submit the photo and stuff mentioned in the interview conformation email?

anyone who has interviewed or has an upcoming one- where did you submit the photo and stuff mentioned in the interview conformation email?
I just uploaded a pdf to the Update Your File on the portal

I've tried that, but i try to submit and a waning comes up but with no message so I dont know if its going through
i think i got it to go through but it just disappeared with no conformation or anything how long after did they conform they got the pdf?