2021-2022 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of you know if attending the student discussion panel before the interview mandatory?

Members don't see this ad :)
My file has said this for a week: "Your file has been reviewed and you will receive a formal invitation by email about how to schedule a virtual interview. Until the time the formal invitation is sent, there is nothing additional you must do."

Has this portal message appeared for anyone else before they got an interview? I've been checking my email and spam and no email about an interview. Is it too early to email them?

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t answer this for myself because I didn’t see my portal change but I wanted to stop in and say that they actually assign you a date!
I have this message in my portal as well! Do you mind me asking when they scheduled your interview for?

My file has said this for a week: "Your file has been reviewed and you will receive a formal invitation by email about how to schedule a virtual interview. Until the time the formal invitation is sent, there is nothing additional you must do."

Has this portal message appeared for anyone else before they got an interview? I've been checking my email and spam and no email about an interview. Is it too early to email them?
I have this message and haven’t received an email yet

GUYSSS, I just got the A. Was an ED applicant and interviewed late August!!!! Class of 2026 HERE I COME!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 60 users
Thank you to everyone and for those who will get IIs and As in the coming months, feel free to reach out if you have any questions etc.!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, for those of you who have interviewed, when did you receive your Webex invite? I interview in two days and haven't received mine yet.

Hi, for those of you who have interviewed, when did you receive your Webex invite? I interview in two days and haven't received mine yet.
I got mine a day before the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
So from what I've been reading in the thread, I know that GW puts the default "hold for re-review" for those who haven't gotten a II or rejection. For those who had this that turned into any of the two, how long did it take? My portal has been saying this for over two weeks now.

So from what I've been reading in the thread, I know that GW puts the default "hold for re-review" for those who haven't gotten a II or rejection. For those who had this that turned into any of the two, how long did it take? My portal has been saying this for over two weeks now.
I'm also wondering this same! Was anyone rejected pre-ii?

Looking at the 2019-2020 thread and the 2020-2021 thread, it seems like hold to II movement starts up around the end of october. For 2020-2021, there were a couple SDNers that got IIs post-hold on Sept 25 and early Oct.

Keep holding on folks :)

Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone who's already had their interview tell me how long it takes? I saw on the email that they said most interviews are conducted from 12pm-2pm with no other mention of additional programming. My interview is scheduled for a Thursday and I'm wondering if I would need to take the whole day off of work for the interview or whether I could get away with taking a half PTO day.

Can anyone who's already had their interview tell me how long it takes? I saw on the email that they said most interviews are conducted from 12pm-2pm with no other mention of additional programming. My interview is scheduled for a Thursday and I'm wondering if I would need to take the whole day off of work for the interview or whether I could get away with taking a half PTO day.
It’s one 30 min interview. Nothing before or after. I didn’t get my exact time until the day before

I'm assuming we'll expect to hear decisions post-ii either on or after October 15th from last year's thread. Unless anyone else has contrasting information?

Do you guys think it would be poor form to inquire about merit scholarships this early? It says they do give some out on a rolling basis...

Do you guys think it would be poor form to inquire about merit scholarships this early? It says they do give some out on a rolling basis...
I mean you're already accepted so I imagine the worst they would say is "whoa there cowboy"

I would ask! If form is what you're worried about, then express once again how excited you are to attend and give thanks to the adcom. Ask about the potential for scholarships at this time and if there is a different entity you should ask for more detailed info on that, say thanks once again and close it out.

They also say "Specific questions should be sent to [email protected]" in the online portal so I assume they would be open to it!

• Love
I mean you're already accepted so I imagine the worst they would say is "whoa there cowboy"

I would ask! If form is what you're worried about, then express once again how excited you are to attend and give thanks to the adcom. Ask about the potential for scholarships at this time and if there is a different entity you should ask for more detailed info on that, say thanks once again and close it out.

They also say "Specific questions should be sent to [email protected]" in the online portal so I assume they would be open to it!
Agreed, I'd also suggest just doing some online searching and looking in past forums. If they have merit scholarships, most of the information for it is likely already out there.

Like just looking at their website I found this: GW Scholarship Sources | The Office of Financial Aid which I feel like has a lot of the answers you are looking for.

I'm assuming we'll expect to hear decisions post-ii either on or after October 15th from last year's thread. Unless anyone else has contrasting information?
That is correct from what I know. MD schools cannot send out decisions until Oct 15th!

Just checked my portal for the first time. Got the same message as some other posters in this thread:

"Your file has been reviewed and you will receive a formal invitation by email about how to schedule a virtual interview. Until the time the formal invitation is sent, there is nothing additional you must do."

Is this essentially an II? Could anyone else got this confirm they ultimately received an interview?
This is a II, I got the same thing as did others here in the thread before a formal email invitation. Congratulations!

For those who have interviewed, I uploaded a pdf with my photo, aamc number, interview date, and name as an update to my application. I received an email saying that they received the update but I can't see that pdf on my portal. Is this normal? Should I resubmit it/contact admissions?

For those who have interviewed, I uploaded a pdf with my photo, aamc number, interview date, and name as an update to my application. I received an email saying that they received the update but I can't see that pdf on my portal. Is this normal? Should I resubmit it/contact admissions?
Definitely normal. I also freaked out but you are fine!

Reactions: 2 users
this is what my portal says.. does this mean im not rejected yet but also not good enough for an interview LOL.. Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

this is what my portal says.. does this mean im not rejected yet but also not good enough for an interview LOL.. Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.
i think that means hold. Did you get an email from them like that?

i think that means hold. Did you get an email from them like that?
I have that exact same message from a couple months ago and I didn't get an email about it, just found it on my portal one day

I just checked my portal and I guess I'm still under review.

1631811663015.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
How did you guys find the emails to send thank you letters? I did not know who was interviewing me until I was in the call and I cannot find any contact info for them.

How did you guys find the emails to send thank you letters? I did not know who was interviewing me until I was in the call and I cannot find any contact info for them.
I uploaded my thank you letter to the portal

are thank you letters even necessary?
You will not be accepted because of a thank you letter, and you won’t be rejected because you didn’t send one. It’s just a courtesy thing to do to thank your interviewers for taking time out of their days

Reactions: 3 users
Do they tell you who your interviewer is before the interview day? Or just the interview time/Webex invitation? Thanks!

I just checked my portal and saw I was placed on hold. I am not sure when that happened, because I haven't checked my portal in awhile. I was complete 8/19.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
anyone from late july or early august still not heard?
Check your GW portal, they don't email you with updates. I've on hold for a while and didn't know initially because they didn't email me that

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the student panel email and realized it’s conflicting with my work schedule, does anyone know how important this is to attend or if it’s possible to leave my camera off while I’m in attendance worst case scenario?

I just got the student panel email and realized it’s conflicting with my work schedule, does anyone know how important this is to attend or if it’s possible to leave my camera off while I’m in attendance worst case scenario?
I thought it was helpful information, but I don't think it's required to attend. Of the 25ish people at the student panel for my interview week, there were a few people with their camera off and the admissions folks didn't say anything about needing to have your camera on

Just got an II (portal update - no email received yet)! Re-applicant complete 08/31.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Yeah, they actually mentioned in a meeting last year's cycle to try and save all the information that you post on the portal because there is no way of getting that information back. The only thing you get is a notification that the file you submitted was received.