2021-2022 Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @MEDNERD_18 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Toledo Secondary Essay Prompts:

Essays

1. One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:

a. Demonstrating knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors;
b. Showing an appreciation and respect for multiple dimensions of diversity;
c. Recognizing and acting on the obligation to inform one's own judgment;
d. Engaging diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work;
e. Recognizing and appropriately addressing bias in selves and others;
f. Interacting effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.

Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in one of the above domains. (Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to.) As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will impact your future contribution to the culture of diversity and inclusion at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences and later in your career as a physician. Max word count: 600

2. One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks.

Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in resilience and adaptability as described above. As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will help you meet new challenges you may face in medical school. Max word count: 600

3. (Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item).
Max word count: 600

Affiliations and Experiences

1. We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above. Max word count: 500

2. Will one or more years have passed between your graduation from college/university (bachelor’s degree) and your expected matriculation to medical school? YES/NO
If ‘YES’, please briefly describe what activities you are/have been engaged in during the period between undergraduate and medical school. Max word count: 300

3. Are you a re-applicant to the MD program at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences?

If you indicated ‘YES,’: Please briefly describe how your application has changed since applying previously to our program. Max word count: 300

4. If you feel you have any aspects of your record that may potentially negatively influence your application to our medical school, we encourage you to use this space to discuss them in order to provide the admissions committee with further context about your application. (Examples of possible topics include MCAT scores lower than our class average, low grades, withdrawn course, institutional action/student conduct violation.) Max word count: 500

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If anyone would be able to read my secondary questions to see if I wrote them well please send me a PM. I will be willing to read yours in return!.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an Ohioan.... but from the south-east region with no ties to Toledo or the area. Is it worth applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I decided to pre-write previous cycle prompts, and one of the essays asks to

"...briefly discuss any other connections you may have to the university of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio, and to provide additional information about any of the affiliations you noted above."

I'm Ohioan but have 0 connections to any of those options.... what do I even write, because I don't want to leave it blank lol

"...briefly discuss any other connections you may have to the university of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio, and to provide additional information about any of the affiliations you noted above."

I'm Ohioan but have 0 connections to any of those options.... what do I even write, because I don't want to leave it blank lol
You write nothing. It doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm writing about Ohio connections. I live in Michigan and my dad's entire family lives in Ohio so I'd still say something especially if you want to practice in Ohio or that region

Reactions: 1 user
I'm writing about Ohio connections. I live in Michigan and my dad's entire family lives in Ohio so I'd still say something especially if you want to practice in Ohio or that region
Just ended up writing about exactly that. Complete for this school now, just waiting for a secondary invite. Best of luck to you!

It's July 27th and I haven't received the secondary app yet, is this normal kinda freaking out

internet says II's for Toledo start on July 30th..... Why have we still not received secondaries

internet says II's for Toledo start on July 30th..... Why have we still not received secondaries

You're asking too much from an institution that couldn't organize Zoom interviews till February 2021.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received earlier this morning. IS

Would you mind posting the secondary questions please

Here you go!

Essays
  • One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:

a. Demonstrating knowledge of socio-cultural factors that affect interactions and behaviors;
    d. Engaging diverse and competing perspectives as a resource for learning, citizenship, and work;

Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in one of the above domains. (Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to.) As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will impact your future contribution to the culture of diversity and inclusion at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences and later in your career as a physician. Max word count: 600

• One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks.

Discuss a specific experience from your life that you feel demonstrates your level of competence in resilience and adaptability as described above. As part of your discussion, explain how you feel this experience will help you meet new challenges you may face in medical school. Max word count: 600

• (Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item. Max word count: 600

• We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above. Max word count: 500
  • Will one or more years have passed between your graduation from college/university (bachelor’s degree) and your expected matriculation to medical school? YES/NO
    • If ‘YES’, please briefly describe what activities you are/have been engaged in during the period between undergraduate and medical school. Max word count: 300
  • Are you a re-applicant to the MD program at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences?
    • If you indicated ‘YES,’: Please briefly describe how your application has changed since applying previously to our program. Max word count: 300
  • If you feel you have any aspects of your record that may potentially negatively influence your application to our medical school, we encourage you to use this space to discuss them in order to provide the admissions committee with further context about your application. (Examples of possible topics include MCAT scores lower than our class average, low grades, withdrawn course, institutional action/student conduct violation.) Max word count: 500

Reactions: 2 users
Here you go!

Essays
  • One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves cultural competence. The competency involves several distinct domains, including:

• One of the AAMC Core Competencies for entering medical students involves resilience and adaptability. This competency involves the ability to tolerate stressful or changing environments or situations and adapt effectively to them. Additional characteristics of this competency are persistence and the ability to recover from setbacks.

• (Optional) Please use the space below for anything you might wish to discuss related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health crisis. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; hardships you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (You will have an opportunity to specifically discuss impacts to your coursework/grades in a separate item. Max word count: 600

• We invite you to briefly discuss any other connections you may have to The University of Toledo, the UToledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences, the city of Toledo, or the region of Northwest Ohio or to provide additional information about the affiliations you noted above. Max word count: 500
  • Will one or more years have passed between your graduation from college/university (bachelor’s degree) and your expected matriculation to medical school? YES/NO
    • If ‘YES’, please briefly describe what activities you are/have been engaged in during the period between undergraduate and medical school. Max word count: 300
  • Are you a re-applicant to the MD program at The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences?
    • If you indicated ‘YES,’: Please briefly describe how your application has changed since applying previously to our program. Max word count: 300
  • If you feel you have any aspects of your record that may potentially negatively influence your application to our medical school, we encourage you to use this space to discuss them in order to provide the admissions committee with further context about your application. (Examples of possible topics include MCAT scores lower than our class average, low grades, withdrawn course, institutional action/student conduct violation.) Max word count: 500
Thanks!!!

Has anyone OOS gotten the secondary yet?

OOS secondary received today. Does anyone know the proportion of ppl that pass the screen? Is it just an automatic stats screen?

OOS secondary received today 08/02 (verified before app release)

OOS secondary received today. Does anyone know the proportion of ppl that pass the screen? Is it just an automatic stats screen?
On their website it says they screen based on the “academic record and MCAT”… probably just a GPA/MCAT screen if I had to guess.

Not sure if anyone can help with this, but I graduated from a private school in Ohio. They don't have a listing for "independent" when it asks for the school district. Do I just put independent next to school name and put the closest school district or something? Thanks.

1627926968218.png

IS app was sent to Toledo on 7/20

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else’s references showing as incomplete even though it shows a date of reception by admissions? I just submitted my secondary.

Anyone else’s references showing as incomplete even though it shows a date of reception by admissions? I just submitted my secondary.
yup but prolly just a glitch on their end, nothing to worry about

How is everyone handling the first essay prompt that says "Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to"? In my essay, I feel like it's pretty clear that the experience I am recounting involves at least 3 of the domains, but I don't explicitly say "I am talking about XYZ domain." If someone is skim reading it, it's not going to jump out since it is a multiple paragraph essay. But with any amount of care when reading, it should be obvious. Do we need to explicitly say "this experience demonstrates domain XYZ"?

How is everyone handling the first essay prompt that says "Clearly indicate which of the six domains above that you are responding to"? In my essay, I feel like it's pretty clear that the experience I am recounting involves at least 3 of the domains, but I don't explicitly say "I am talking about XYZ domain." If someone is skim reading it, it's not going to jump out since it is a multiple paragraph essay. But with any amount of care when reading, it should be obvious. Do we need to explicitly say "this experience demonstrates domain XYZ"?
The question does say "competence in one of the above domains," so I would perhaps try to clarify which specific domain you are referring to. I'm sure it's fine if it overlaps with some others, but it would seem to be in your best interest to make a clear mention of one domain.

I'm not sure if it's right, but I put it right before my essay. For example, I put (e) as my first word and then actually started my essay. I'm sure if its a good essay they should be able to tell as well.

I'm not sure if it's right, but I put it right before my essay. For example, I put (e) as my first word and then actually started my essay. I'm sure if its a good essay they should be able to tell as well.
I did the same thing. I had someone read over mine and they told me that I covered 3 of the competencies in my response, but I felt like blatantly repeating the competency in my response would've read weird.