2022-2023 Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they say if the WL is ranked?
I don’t think it is as of now but all they said was “As soon as we're able to form the full waitlist, we'll send an additional email with more information” & that no new acceptances will be made until May. So if it is maybe we’ll find out more information later on. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Members don't see this ad.

WL today, interviewed 1/19. Has anyone who interviewed earlier still not heard anything? I'm wondering whether being waitlisted is a good sign or if they are planning to accept a bunch of people directly in May without first placing them on the waitlist.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
WL today, interviewed 1/19. Has anyone who interviewed earlier still not heard anything? I'm wondering whether being waitlisted is a good sign or if they are planning to accept a bunch of people directly in May without first placing them on the waitlist.
Based on prior year SDN threads, people who were waitlisted did receive acceptances starting May!

Based on prior year SDN threads, people who were waitlisted did receive acceptances starting May!
This would make sense as April 30th is when people would be narrowing down their choices to 1 acceptance and giving up other seats and waitlists. At institutions with ranked and numbered waitlists, people have in previous years have reported movement of 20 positions overnight. I know UMN is unranked, but I would presume the pattern with a large number of seats opening up that day would carry over.

This would make sense as April 30th is when people would be narrowing down their choices to 1 acceptance and giving up other seats and waitlists. At institutions with ranked and numbered waitlists, people have in previous years have reported movement of 20 positions overnight. I know UMN is unranked, but I would presume the pattern with a large number of seats opening up that day would carry over.
During my interview they mentioned that they usually have low waitlist movement, but they also said we were interviewing for an open seat lol so who knows😅

They also seem to have changed their procedures because MSAR says the waitlist is ranked and applicants are provided with their rank number.
According to their website, it seems like they start accepting people off the still-unranked waitlist starting in May. In June, they place some of the remaining waitlisted individuals on a ranked alternate list and release everyone else.

During my interview they mentioned that they usually have low waitlist movement, but they also said we were interviewing for an open seat lol so who knows😅
In my interview they said that they usually hand out 200 initial acceptances for a class of 165, with 50-75 additional acceptances being offered to people on the waitlist. Anecdotally, I know several current students who were accepted in May or June so there is still hope!

Reactions: 1 user
They also seem to have changed their procedures because MSAR says the waitlist is ranked and applicants are provided with their rank number.
I think that there has always been a ranked waitlist, but the website says the rankings are released in June. Thus, people accepted off the waitlist in May are accepted before the ranking is released. I could be wrong, though, if anyone has additional insight into this.

justanotherpremed2023 is correct. I think it's highly unlikely they will accept anyone else outright. They will most likely accept some folks from the unranked waitlist in late April and May as accepted applicants withdraw to attend other schools. In early June, everyone who is still on the waitlist will either be ranked on the alternate list or released. Historically, there has been 30-70 people accepted from the waitlist and alternate list (I think the numbers in MSAR reflect this). However, for the last few years movement has been closer to 10-20. Once the ranked alternate list is released, movement has been negligible (1 my year, 2 last year). This cycle has closely mirrored the last two, but movement can obviously vary a lot. Hoping the best for all of you on the WL!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am waitlisted at another school and it shows on the “choose your medical school” tool, but nothing pops up for Minnesota.

Does anyone have the UMN show up for their “chose your medical school” waitlists?

My interviewer earlier this week said we were interviewing for an open seat at the Duluth campus. Just an FYI. Timeline might be different waitlist-wise between the two campuses.

My interviewer earlier this week said we were interviewing for an open seat at the Duluth campus. Just an FYI. Timeline might be different waitlist-wise between the two campuses.

I’m skeptical about anything they say now lmfao

Interviewed mid-Feb.....have they started sending out R's and WL's to Feb interviewees yet? If I DON'T hear anything between now and May 1st, is that a good sign??? sorry Minnesota's whole review process is confusing as hell

Interviewed mid-Feb.....have they started sending out R's and WL's to Feb interviewees yet? If I DON'T hear anything between now and May 1st, is that a good sign??? sorry Minnesota's whole review process is confusing as hell
They might not be going in chronological order? Or perhaps no news is good news—I’m guessing if there are people who don’t get WL/R, they might bypass the waitlist and get accepted in May.

Reactions: 2 users
They told everyone interviewing for TC in dec and beyond that they were interviewing for an open seat though and they were not, so I'm not sure I'd trust what they say about open seats vs waitlist even for Duluth. Best of luck though!

They told everyone interviewing for TC in dec and beyond that they were interviewing for an open seat though and they were not, so I'm not sure I'd trust what they say about open seats vs waitlist even for Duluth. Best of luck though!

That’s exactly why I said I’m skeptical

I am waitlisted at another school and it shows on the “choose your medical school” tool, but nothing pops up for Minnesota.

Does anyone have the UMN show up for their “chose your medical school” waitlists?
it doesn't show up for me (waitlist) but I also haven't received any other A's yet so maybe that's why

Anyone know anything about Duluth? Interviewed 2/10, nothing yet.

They might not be going in chronological order? Or perhaps no news is good news—I’m guessing if there are people who don’t get WL/R, they might bypass the waitlist and get accepted in May.
i went through some previous threads and it seemed like students have received As in May without receiving a WL.

i went through some previous threads and it seemed like students have received As in May without receiving a WL.
I am hoping that this is in fact the case, and that I then don't hear anything until May.

• Care
Someone in the 2020-2021 thread commented this in early May:
--
I have an update from admissions! "All applications will most likely be reviewed and then ranked. That said since our primary data point for ranking is committee score we have been able to go out with some acceptance offers for those candidates at the top of the WL and those candidates who are still receiving an initial review if their score is high enough."
--
It seems like people have gotten in without being waitlisted, but that this might've only been the case for people who 1) had an exceptionally high committee score and 2) whose files were not able to be formally voted on by the time waitlist movement started (perhaps due to a later interview date). It also seems like the waitlist is ranked from the start, but rankings just aren't made public until June when the ranked AL is released. That said, not sure what the process will look like this year since they have changed things somewhat and aren't as far behind in reviewing folks. Pure speculation on my part but hope people find this helpful!

Someone in the 2020-2021 thread commented this in early May:
--
I have an update from admissions! "All applications will most likely be reviewed and then ranked. That said since our primary data point for ranking is committee score we have been able to go out with some acceptance offers for those candidates at the top of the WL and those candidates who are still receiving an initial review if their score is high enough."
--
It seems like people have gotten in without being waitlisted, but that this might've only been the case for people who 1) had an exceptionally high committee score and 2) whose files were not able to be formally voted on by the time waitlist movement started (perhaps due to a later interview date). It also seems like the waitlist is ranked from the start, but rankings just aren't made public until June when the ranked AL is released. That said, not sure what the process will look like this year since they have changed things somewhat and aren't as far behind in reviewing folks. Pure speculation on my part but hope people find this helpful!
Sounds like there is no clear indicator of what will lead to an A in the coming months given the changes😅 fingers crossed for all of us!

Also, the email said "The review process for interviews has come to an end." This probably means everyone who is still waiting is getting their rejection soon too. I'm sorry to everyone :(

Can you let us know the date of your interview and for which campus?
Pre-II = pre-interview invite, I didn't get an interview here and was really really hoping I would be lucky enough to at least get to that stage. The email was signed by deans for admission of both Duluth and Twin Cities campuses, so I'm pretty sure interview decisions are done for both of them.

Pre-II = pre-interview invite, I didn't get an interview here and was really really hoping I would be lucky enough to at least get to that stage. The email was signed by deans for admission of both Duluth and Twin Cities campuses, so I'm pretty sure interview decisions are done for both of them.
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t read that properly - thanks for clarifying that for me. I know this is not amazing news but please don’t be discouraged. I applied to the U of M 2 years ago and got the pre-II rejection and reapplied this year to get an interview at the TC campus. You’ve got this!!

• Care
Has anyone who interviewed in 2/2/23 heard back yet about being WL or R? or are y’all assuming no news is good news based on previous years of sdn threads

JUST GOT THE CAALLLLLLL +1 IM GOING TO BE A GOPHER!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
R - 1/26 interview TC

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else eagerly counting down the days until May? I am hoping this month flies by.

Does anyone know what date scholarships are supposed to be announced? For some reason April 5th is sticking in my head, but going back through my emails I can’t find anything with a specific date on it.

For TC they won't be telling us until May 1st if you have been accepted. For the Duluth campus, they will be accepting throughout.

Reactions: 2 users