-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 SUNY Upstate (Norton)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I have this as well. Wonder what it means. I didn't have this the last time I checked the portal several weeks ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mine says that too! was put on an interview hold a few months ago...On my portal beneath the processed applications, it has a bunch of asterisks and says "interview_request aidm" and a number. But nothing else, anyone else have that? idk what that's supposed to mean.
I have the same thing too...
oatmilkplease
Full Member
+1 strangeI have this as well. Wonder what it means. I didn't have this the last time I checked the portal several weeks ago.
bumblebee123456789
Full Member
On my portal beneath the processed applications, it has a bunch of asterisks and says "interview_request aidm" and a number. But nothing else, anyone else have that? idk what that's supposed to mean.
I have this too
bumblebee123456789
Full Member
Considering how many of us have this it probably doesn’t mean anything unfortunately
orrrr maybe we all got IIs 🤣Yeah was just about to say, it's probably their glitchy system then. Accidentally giving out II invites to everyone 😛
bumblebee123456789
Full Member
orrrr maybe we all got IIs 🤣
A girl can dream [emoji42]
Is there much movement off the waitlist? I was surprised by the hold because I'm OOS and have no ties and low stats.mine says that too! was put on an interview hold a few months ago.
BullEagle
Full Member
Yeah, I have this too. Unlikely to mean anything at all.Considering how many of us have this it probably doesn’t mean anything unfortunately
coolhuevos
Full Member
I have already interviewed here and still have the same error message
coolhuevos
Full Member
Does anyone else also have " interview_request CHKPT 1" below the "interview_request aidm"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
individualworry5830
Full Member
Hi! Totally OK if this is something that can't be answered, but were you able to use a pen/ paper to jot down thoughts during the MMI?
Wait that’s actually a lot leftWent to Upstate’s open house today -Dean Ruiz said they have 170 slots left to offer for Jan/Feb. And that they’re done interviewing in February.
D
deleted1167714
Is the consensus that the interview_request aidm on the portal is an error?
BullEagle
Full Member
Is the consensus that the interview_request aidm on the portal is an error?
Yes.
1. You get it the day of that you complete before the MMIHi! I'm SO EXCITED to be interviewing here soon 🙂
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions, obviously nothing that you were told you can't say/ signed an NDA about/ feel ethically uncomfortable sharing.
1) Is there really a written prompt in the MMI? Is that just a rumor?
2) General feelings about the MMI? More traditional or situation based Qs? Actor- based scenarios?
3) What was the timing like? I've been practicing, generally, 2 min to think about/ read a prompt and giving myself approx four min to tie up my answer, but I know it varies and I believe they are sharing this info quite close to the date of the actual interview.
How long was the whole shebang? Ie, do I need to find coverage for a full workday, or would 4-5 hours off suffice? I'm definitely the sort of person who is going to go to work/ have a regular morning beforehand, having something to do will help me control nerves.
Hope to see you in Syracuse next year, everybody!
2. Both. I would really be prepared to think on your feet and be prepared to give multiple follow up questions. I would also be prepared to be able to give rationales for your responses. So examples that tie into the prompt from personal or professional life.
3. Two minutes to read the prompt and jot down ideas then I think it was 5 minutes to respond. I had time left in one and just said "well this is awkward"
This video really helped me more than anything else. Just be yourself. You want to make sure you are a good fit for the school but mostly that the school is the best fit for you.
Ps. Be prepared to state WHY upstate.
All the best.
Upstate Advise to Applicants
individualworry5830
Full Member
I did! but only for the 2 minute reflecting period 🙂
1. You get it the day of that you complete before the MMI
2. Both. I would really be prepared to think on your feet and be prepared to give multiple follow up questions. I would also be prepared to be able to give rationales for your responses. So examples that tie into the prompt from personal or professional life.
3. Two minutes to read the prompt and jot down ideas then I think it was 5 minutes to respond. I had time left in one and just said "well this is awkward"
This video really helped me more than anything else. Just be yourself. You want to make sure you are a good fit for the school but mostly that the school is the best fit for you.
Ps. Be prepared to state WHY upstate.
All the best.
Upstate Advise to Applicants
individualworry5830
Full Member
Thanks so much! Whoa, five min is a lot less than the seven min I've been practicing- any thoughts?
It’s 2 minutes to prep and then 6 minutes to answer. In all honesty the only instances where I ran out of time were if the interviewer had a lot of follow up questions, and even then it was ok. You’ll be greatThanks so much! Whoa, five min is a lot less than the seven min I've been practicing- any thoughts?
Last edited:
I shared the link that was posted on youtube. That was the best resource for me. I would just be yourself and show them who you are. Obviously I cant go into details of what I was asked, how I was asked and how I overcame those questions but I think its fair to say that they can ask you anything at all. Your goal should be to showcase who you are in the most genuine way possible.Thanks so much! Whoa, five min is a lot less than the seven min I've been practicing- any thoughts?
Get some sleep and be refreshed. The MMI was way more fun than I expected it to be. I really enjoyed it. So will you!
The practiced answers- again what Dr. Welch said on the YouTube link was to be yourself and that was what rung in my ears when I was interviewed. So be you! Im sure you are an amazing person and will be an amazing physician : )
coolhuevos
Full Member
i dont recall but seems like some people have received acceptances in as little as 2 weeks post-interview.For this that interviewed around 11/8, do you remember how long they said to wait for a response? Did they say 6-8 weeks?
D
deleted1175097
For this that interviewed around 11/8, do you remember how long they said to wait for a response? Did they say 6-8 weeks?
I interviewed 10/30 and they told me 4-6 weeks -idk if their timeline has changed tho [emoji43][emoji94]
coleslaw8761
New Member
Rubbing it in our faces 😩😭Has anyone made an accepted students groupchat or anything?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not that I’ve seen, just the Facebook page they have on their website but I don’t believe it’s set up for the next incoming class yetHas anyone made an accepted students groupchat or anything?
coleslaw8761
New Member
No worries, I know it wasn’t meant that way. Congrats!no please that’s not what I meant [emoji24] I’m just 90% I’m going here - you will get your A soon I know it! The updated stats are crazy -6,900 applicants for 170 seats [emoji43][emoji94] so if it’s taking a while to hear back, that’s perfectly normal!
Also I forgot to mention this, but they take letters of intent quite seriously! Three different admin ppl confirmed when I asked abt it!
queenofthenoryh3
New Member
congrats on the A!!!!!! it looks like someone is just a little jealous they're not good enough for medical school :// @coleslaw8761I try to be very transparent about my journey -especially as a first gen Latina and DACA recipient and try to always help others the way I’ve been blessed to be supported. So when I receive PM’s asking about my stats -I’m honest.
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted1175097
congrats on the A!!!!!! it looks like someone is just a little jealous they're not good enough for medical school :// @coleslaw8761
ty so much queen [emoji4]🫶[emoji2533]
queenofthenoryh3
New Member
of course!!! i get the competition but it's crazy that people can't just be happy for one another lolty so much queen [emoji4]🫶[emoji2533]
oatmilkplease
Full Member
Wild, can't believe this person might be a physician one day
Last edited by a moderator:
notanorthobro
Full Member
First of all, congratulations on your A!! I have no doubts you will become an amazing doc. As another latina who just got my PR, I’m proud of you! Don’t listen to people bringing you negativity. You deserve your spot, you belong. Make sure to celebrate this huge achievement! We are all rooting for you.I try to be very transparent about my journey -especially as a first gen Latina and DACA recipient and try to always help others the way I’ve been blessed to be supported. So when I receive PM’s asking about my stats -I’m honest.
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted1175097
First of all, congratulations on your A!! I have no doubts you will become an amazing doc. As another latina who just got my PR, I’m proud of you! Don’t listen to people bringing you negativity. You deserve your spot, you belong. Make sure to celebrate this huge achievement! We are all rooting for you.
muchísimas gracias [emoji1317][emoji4] aquí deseándote lo mejor igualmente.
individualworry5830
Full Member
In the interview, is there a timer/ stopwatch so you can see how much time you've got left? In some of my mock interviews, I've been asking my interviewers to hold up two fingers to indicate two min left, and I know this is common practice at some places- did this happen?
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and good luck to all 🙂
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and good luck to all 🙂
Could tomorrow be the day for us 11/8 peeps???
I got a pre-II Hold back in early October, is that essentially a soft rejection for this school?
mynicknameisnemo
Full Member
You ever get a rejection and think hmmm that doesn’t feel very good
Anyone have info about their post-II acceptance rate? This is my #1 choice as of now and I'm losing my mind over having an interview. Just want to know whether I should brace myself for a potential WL or R after hahaha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no.green.ham
Full Member
edit: PM me for the 2021 MD post-II acceptances data link bc it’s saying it’s not supported here and this link is deadass to the spreadsheet [emoji88] @snoopiewoo
Anyone have info about their post-II acceptance rate? This is my #1 choice as of now and I'm losing my mind over having an interview. Just want to know whether I should brace myself for a potential WL or R after hahaha
During my interview, I believe the dean said they planned to interview like 530 applicants and give out about 250 acceptances for their class of 175. I interviewed in early to mid-October and at the time, I believe he said there was about 200 more interview invites to be handed out. They were one of the most transparent schools I’ve interviewed with.
futuredoc2478
Full Member
Has anyone gotten off a pre-II hold?
Justchallenge4
Full Member
Looking at last years SDN they did interview people on hold, it looks like they started get notifications in JanuaryWas placed on pre-II hold in September and I am still not off that list. I doubt that they plan to consider the pre-II waitlisted applicants. IS. 3.8+511
Nice to hear! I received an II on 11/10, so it seems I was luckily part of that last/later batch of II's to be sent out. I won't lie, I'm not totally reassured by a 47% post-II acceptance rate, but I guess theres not much that can be done about that besides hoping I make the cut...During my interview, I believe the dean said they planned to interview like 530 applicants and give out about 250 acceptances for their class of 175. I interviewed in early to mid-October and at the time, I believe he said there was about 200 more interview invites to be handed out. They were one of the most transparent schools I’ve interviewed with.