2023-2024 SUNY Upstate (Norton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone that has payed their deposit already, how long did it take to get sent the next steps email?

Sent mine on 11/23 and nothing yet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently 7,000 applicants for 170 seats, that’s a crazy A rate

This is my only A so far this cycle. Anyone know what life is like as a med student at SUNY Upstate? I go to school in Upstate NY so I'm familiar with the weather haha. What are classes, students, and opportunities like?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else complete mid-late august with no hold and no pre II R just silence

Got put on HPA, anyone know the percentage of people that get off this waitlist? I know people in past years have gotten off it in late May/June but not sure how many people

Does anyone know how the interview day is? How long is the MMI?

Does anyone know how the interview day is? How long is the MMI?
There’s a mandatory information session that everyone attends which runs about an hour and is mostly Q&A with current students, then you do your MMI which takes about an hour. If I remember correctly there are 3 time slots for the MMI you can sign up for on the date of your interview

There’s a mandatory information session that everyone attends which runs about an hour and is mostly Q&A with current students, then you do your MMI which takes about an hour. If I remember correctly there are 3 time slots for the MMI you can sign up for on the date of your interview

also a written portion that you have until 3:00 pm to do

does anyone have any general tips for the MMI? this will be my first one so kinda nervous!

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure the reason why IS tuition is cheaper is because the state government partially funds their state students, so OOS students just pay the “true” tuition the school would have received from an IS student (IS tuition + Government Funding).

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did up charge OOS students, but I still wouldn’t expect them to be making that much more money by taking more OOS students
Plus they HAVE to prioritize IS in order to continue getting state funding. And with the state funding, I believe they actually make more on IS students

Anyone else feel like their written component of the interview was not good lol? I finished it and was not the most impressed with myself...

Anyone else feel like their written component of the interview was not good lol? I finished it and was not the most impressed with myself...

I honestly don’t even remember the question but I remember it not going too well. I guess that speaks to how it went for me lol

I still got the A about 2 weeks after I interviewed

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I withdrew my app when I sent an email before my interview to their admissions email but apparently not. They sent me an email asking me to schedule my new interview date. Had to withdraw twice lol

Reactions: 2 users
For any current students, how often in a given week are you required to be on campus? I know attendance is required for some things but not others

Any chance of a II if I’ve been on hold since early October? I can’t figure out whether it’s basically a soft R. I saw a lot of people got rejected off the hold list and I’m still hanging on, so is there a chance?

Any chance of a II if I’ve been on hold since early October? I can’t figure out whether it’s basically a soft R. I saw a lot of people got rejected off the hold list and I’m still hanging on, so is there a chance?

Are you IS or OOS?

Just logged into my portal to see an acceptance letter! Interviewed 12/6 and OOS but strong ties to the area! No email yet just the portal change

Edit: received the email the next day (Wednesday) around noon EST

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone interview 11/8 or around this time and not hear back yet? Starting to take this as a bad sign lol

Interviewed 12/13 and actually feel sick to my stomach waiting for a decision ahaha I need good vibes to come my way so that an A will hopefully follow...best case scenario is a decision by next Tues/Wed which would be about a 2 week turnaround...

Has anyone gotten off the hold list yet for an interview?

Reactions: 2 users
is it worth submitting an update letter if I am on hold? I have a few manuscripts that were submitted for publication

IS completed 10/2, pre-II hold 10/20, sent in app update 12/15... still nothing :/

Likelihood of any decisions this week or next??
Your best bet is gonna be to look at previous years threads to see if there was any movement at this point last year. Best of luck!

IS II today at 4am after being put on hold back in september. I did submit some very significant updates on 12/24