2023-2024 Uniformed Services (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 USUHS Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 Characters)

2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 Characters)

3. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours has informed your ability to participate well in a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.(1500 Characters)

4. (optional) Were there any significant disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in reviewing your application? (1500 Characters)

5. (optional) You may use this field to enter any information that you would like to share that was not provided on your AMCAS application.
(2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
uniformed-services-university-of-the-health-sciences-f-edward-hebert-school-of-medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any secondaries yet?
None here yet, was also wondering since it seems like they came out early last year but the military is pretty big on July 4th (who would have guessed?), hopefully we'll see something Wednesday or Thursday this week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received this morning, very patriotic of them

Reactions: 2 users
Here are this year's prompts; I believe they are the same as last year! @wysdoc

1. Medicine and Officership are time-honored professions that unite at “America’s Medical School” in rewarding and challenging ways. What are your thoughts and impressions about serving as a uniformed medical corps officer, and why do you want to pursue this career path? (1500 Character Limit)

2. The Uniformed Services University features a unique curriculum that prepares students to care for those in harm’s way. Please describe what in your research about our school and its values attracts you to our institution’s mission and approach. (1500 Character Limit)

3. Our Admissions Committee assembles classes of students with a wide range of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and talents. Please describe how a special quality or experience of yours has informed your ability to participate well in a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.

(optional) Were there any significant disruptions in your academic/volunteer/work/personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider in reviewing your application? (1500 Character Limit)

(optional) You may use this field to enter any information that you would like to share that was not provided on your AMCAS application. (2000 character limit)

Any advice on what to write in the 'additional information' box?

Edit 1610:
I found an article regarding these 'additional information' prompts in general. based on the other prompts by USUHS, I narrowed it down to using an adversity essay, leadership essay, or an academic growth essay. I ended up going with an adversity essay, but those are some suggestions for others who may be wondering what to write about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
+1 for the secondary!! Is this anyone else's top school? I am so excited for even the secondary for this

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! USU is my top choice as well, I have had the 2ndry pre-written for months haha. I also received it this morning and just submitted it. best of luck to you!
Me too!! This is actually the only one I wrote ahead for. Best of luck to you as well!

Secondary recieved and submitted yesterday! Very excited to see how this cycle plays out. Did anyione recieve a confirmation email after submitting?

Good luck everyone, definitely my dream school and thankfully not shooting myself in the foot this time unlike last year where I applied too late. Currently an officer in the Navy so happy to answer any questions you may have. Also if you're in the D.C. area I highly recommend looking into the Walter Reed SCOOP program. Its an amazing experience where you get to spend one month with a department of your choice. I spent a month with General Surgery and saw the gambit of what med students, nurses, techs, residents, and attendings do on a day to day basis.

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck everyone, definitely my dream school and thankfully not shooting myself in the foot this time unlike last year where I applied too late. Currently an officer in the Navy so happy to answer any questions you may have. Also if you're in the D.C. area I highly recommend looking into the Walter Reed SCOOP program. Its an amazing experience where you get to spend one month with a department of your choice. I spent a month with General Surgery and saw the gambit of what med students, nurses, techs, residents, and attendings do on a day to day basis.
Navy enlisted here! SCOOP is amazing. The Baltimore Shock Trauma Observer Program is another great opportunity for shadowing in the area, several of their EM/gen surg residents are HPSP or HSCP and are awesome to talk to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone affiliated with the school know how commissioning requirements work? Unfortunately the coordinator is on an extended vacation at the moment.

My main question is, when do I have to meet physical requirements surrounding height/weight? I have been in long-term weight loss and should reach the requirements by the end of the year. I understand that you need a physical scheduled before the interview but I'm unsure of what happens if you fail it etc.

Secondary recieved and submitted yesterday! Very excited to see how this cycle plays out. Did anyione recieve a confirmation email after submitting?
I had a confirmation email soon after submitting the secondary, and got another email today saying that the committee was looking at my application.
They send a lot of confirmation emails for an application that said there wouldn’t be any confirmation emails

• Haha
is anyone doing the optional covid essay
there were no disruptions for me so i dont really want to try and come up with a story for it just to try and answer it

Does anyone affiliated with the school know how commissioning requirements work? Unfortunately the coordinator is on an extended vacation at the moment.

My main question is, when do I have to meet physical requirements surrounding height/weight? I have been in long-term weight loss and should reach the requirements by the end of the year. I understand that you need a physical scheduled before the interview but I'm unsure of what happens if you fail it etc.
From what I understand, you need to meet the requirements at your physical. If you fail, DODMERB will flag you. Then, USUHS will send you to get your body fat percentage measured. You may be able to stall on that a little bit, but not for long. It's also possible that they'll do your body fat percentage at that initial physical if they see you fail the height/weight. If you fail the body fat percentage, I believe you will be ineligible for commission/matriculation. Not 100% on that so you can always ask the commissioning coordinator when the time comes

Re-applying this year after applying too late last year 😬 Question about re-writing the secondary: how different does it need to be? Do I need to have a complete idea written or can I just re-write the ones I have better?

Got an email saying that one of my letter writers didn't write on official letterhead... :rolleyes: anyone else get this?

Re-applying this year after applying too late last year 😬 Question about re-writing the secondary: how different does it need to be? Do I need to have a complete idea written or can I just re-write the ones I have better?
If I was in your shoes I’d go for something completely different. For re-applicant they mainly want to know what is different this time around? You want the application to show that you are not the same applicant as last year. Maybe mention briefly topics from last year, but then say what’s different

Probably too late, but maybe it will help someone else! 😅 They do have your previous application and may review or reference it. You may have had new experiences in the past year or you may have other past experiences that you can expand on. I rewrote mine from scratch. Good luck!

Got an email saying that one of my letter writers didn't write on official letterhead... :rolleyes: anyone else get this?
Hopefully you got it sorted! That happened last year and delayed my application 1+ month since I had a very confused letter writer 🙃

Hi ya’ll just joined SDN to follow this thread. Does anyone know if you are currently in the military do you still have to do the DODMERB physical or would you just do a regular commissioning physical. I’m currently in the National Guard.

Did everyone get the email saying "applicants submitted before you"?

Apparently they’ve already given about 40 interviews. spoke to dean recently

Hi ya’ll just joined SDN to follow this thread. Does anyone know if you are currently in the military do you still have to do the DODMERB physical or would you just do a regular commissioning physical. I’m currently in the National Guard.
Still have to do dodmerb for USU. Regular commissioning physical for HPSP/HSCP.

Still have to do dodmerb for USU. Regular commissioning physical for HPSP/HSCP.
I'm not clear on the timeline for this, is it after you have a conditional acceptance or prior to interview?

I'm not clear on the timeline for this, is it after you have a conditional acceptance or prior to interview?
The instructions for setting it up will come with the interview invite. I believe you need to have all exams scheduled before you can attend your interview. Not sure what the deadline is for being cleared by DoDMERB, whether it’s before or after receiving a conditional acceptance

Anyone get II yet?
Nope- wondering if anyone else had a major delay between their secondary submission and confirmation? Pretty sure I received secondary on first day and submitted in the same day, but my confirmation didn't come until the 24. Wondering if my medical condition I listed delayed me until they could confirm it is not disqualifying... does anyone know about this?

Nope- wondering if anyone else had a major delay between their secondary submission and confirmation? Pretty sure I received secondary on first day and submitted in the same day, but my confirmation didn't come until the 24. Wondering if my medical condition I listed delayed me until they could confirm it is not disqualifying... does anyone know about this?
Nothing here for me either and I noticed this as well, submitted same day and was confirmed complete July 16th. I think that one of my LOR was on hold which may have caused my delay.

Nothing here for me either and I noticed this as well, submitted same day and was confirmed complete July 16th. I think that one of my LOR was on hold which may have caused my delay.
Hopefully they just haven't gotten to our apps

Anyone get II yet?
Last year the first II reported on here was 8/18. The dean of admissions said late August is when they will begin sending IIs this year. Just the info I have, but not stressing it too much

II today! Submitted super early don’t know the date but i wasn’t complete until 7/24

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II today! Submitted super early don’t know the date but i wasn’t complete until 7/24
If possible, can you describe what the medical part of this process is like? If instructions for the physical do come with the II or what the timeline for that is like?

If possible, can you describe what the medical part of this process is like? If instructions for the physical do come with the II or what the timeline for that is like?
general instructions come in a long document they send you. i think that i’ll receive emails this week about how to sign up for the physical and stuff. but none of the physical requirements in terms of weight/pt test are required before the interview to my knowledge. it’s probably just a general physical to allow them to assess what else they need to know from you

Got an II the other day (yay!!) and I was wondering if anyone else who got an II is having issues with the applicant gateway? When I login the screen is blank and there is no way for me to submit my interview form.