BU or Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bu or Tufts?

• Total voters

Chipster.

Are you not entertained?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Age old debate, but I'm making my decision today and want more updated opinions on the schools. If anyone has any insight please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts is overkill on debt, brah.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't realize how high BU's MCAT average is... damn

Members don't see this ad :)
BU costs less and is just as fine a school to study at. What's to consider? If you have specific pros and cons in mind that make it a harder decision, please let us know.

But from my outside perspective, I don't see why you would not just go to BU?

What is price difference? If there isn't any appreciable difference than I say choose the school based on your preferences. I heard Tufts is way easier to access as they have their own stop on the red line I believe. Tufts is in chinatown, which is actually kind of cool cause Boston is so small and this is essentially downtown. BU is in kind of a dumpy area and not even close to all the action like tufts is. I believe Tufts has nicer facilities, but you have interviewed at both so what do you think on that? All prices being equal or close to it I myself would probably choose Tufts. Seems like they really look out for there students more, and that whole craigslist killer from BU med a few years back is kinda sketch. :thumbdown: But OP I am def jelly of you for gaining acceptance into both of these schools, and I hope I can replicate what you did as I am hoping to be in Boston for med school. (have aunt there with place that I can live for free, and Boston is amazing!) The rankings are arbitrary because I say there isn't enough difference between the two to make any decisions on that. The only thing that sucks about both schools is price, but hey you're in a great position!

And OP not to be a creep but if you don't mind mentioning or PM ing me your stats I would love to hear them as I am really hoping to get into both of those schools you had success with. I am taking MCAT this summer, (have 3.9 GPA so going by MSAR I am good in GPA category) . Buttt as another poster alluded to, damn the MCAT scores have been going up for these schools. 35 median for BU?! and 34 for tufts. I really hope I can hit those numbers on the MCAT somehow, which I realize is a really tall order. Gonna utilize sn2ed, so hoping :). Sorry for the rant OP, I am just kinda obsessed with you since you got into two of my dream schools! Good luck and let us know which you choose!:thumbup:

They are essentially identical schools in terms of rep and opportunity. BTW BU's matriculant MCAT is still 34, the accepted MCAT score in the newest MSAR is 35.

Last edited:
how is the curriculum different? integrated vs traditional? I know tuft has shorter preclinical years. I don't know anything about BU. my school has a completely integrated curriculum and I wish I had gone to somewhere with a traditional curriculum. very different.

The difference between tuition+fees at BU and Tufts is only $4016. Pretty negligible. And Tufts' facilities are a lot nicer.

Reactions: 1 users
The difference between tuition+fees at BU and Tufts is only $4016. Pretty negligible. And Tufts' facilities are a lot nicer.
Really depends on the financial aid/scholarship offers, that's why we are asking, not for the standard tuition/coa. If he received 20k/yr from BU and nothing from tufts, it's a big difference.

wow I thought it was a lot more. That does change things. I agree with other posters who say you should look at curriculum, research opportunities in fields that might interest you, clinical opportunities, etc.

I have also heard, as others have said, that BU's facilities, aside from maybe the actual BUMC, are a little beat up. But OP has ostensibly seen both campuses during interview day and/or Second Look? Just go to the school that seems a better fit for you. $4000 difference in CoA is not going to make any difference in the long run, especially when it's ~1% of your total debt. I find these debt figures to be scary.

BU is in kind of a dumpy area and not even close to all the action like tufts is.

Boston is tiny. BU to tufts is like 10-15 mins on a bicycle.

Also, what do you mean by 'action'? Tufts doesn't have a trauma center comparable to BU.

I had to make the same decision today and I went with BU. Personally, I figured Tufts wins during the pre-clinical years and BU wins the clinical. I've heard that everyone learns more or less the same things during the first two years, its just a matter of preference. I think the opportunity to work within the BMC will really provide me with a fantastic learning experience. Yeah Tufts has way nice facilities and all that... but after attending the revisit day at BU I honestly didn't think the building was that bad. At the end of the day all I really need is a space that's comfortable. Given that classrooms and such are all available 24/7 I can see myself being content studying there if the library is full or w/e. Lastly, since I'm unfamiliar with the Boston area I was happy to see that BU has its own on campus housing for med students.

At the end of the day I truly don't think you can go wrong with either school. Go with your gut and don't look back. Good luck!

They are essentially identical schools in terms of rep and opportunity.They are essentially identical schools in terms of rep and opportunity.

They are essentially identical schools in terms of rep and opportunity.They are essentially identical schools in terms of rep and opportunity.
Why did you write that twice.Why did you write that twice.

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said: Tufts and BU are very similar schools. The fact that you would pay a total of $16,000 more to go to Tufts should make his decision a bit easier; you largely get the same education (delivered a different way) at any medical school you attend, so unless you were absolutely revolted by BU, my suggestion would be to choose BU.

I was faced with this decision also, and went with BU. After attending both second looks, I don't think the novelty of Tufts' campus makes up for the small size of their medical campus and the Chinatown location. I felt much more at ease on BU's campus, but perhaps that was partly due to the difference in cost - From my perspective, it's significant. Have you reviewed some of the previous match lists? As a native Californian hoping to return to the west coast after medical school, I was blown away by BU's match list, much less so by Tufts'.

Go with your gut!

If you like the Tufts facilities, you can sign up to volunteer in Tufts' hospital, and your volunteer ID will grant you access to the medical school. You don't have to ever show up to volunteer, just keep the ID they give you. I used to do that when I was an undergrad so I could study in Tufts' sweet library. I used to snatch up one of those private rooms in the library whenever it was available lol. Sorry Tufts students!