Dartmouth Meds Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CdnHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I saw other threads about other schools reputations, so I wanted to ask SDN what they thought about DMS.

I know that DMS is one of the Ivy League medical schools, but their rankings aren't as high as Yale, Cornell, Harvard etc.

What do ppl here think of DMS? My opinion is that it has a great small town field and the public health research that comes out of it is great.

Also, anyone doing the MBA/MD? Will we have to write the GMAT if I decide to to enrol in it say after 2nd or 3rd year? Is it possible to just do it part time and cram it into my 4 years, rather than 5.

Members don't see this ad.

Why does the Tufts thread get all the love?!

Members don't see this ad :)
my two cents:
I think they have a great match list, the reason their rank is not so high is because of their size and the relative less focus on research,
regarding to MD/MBA, you cannot do it in 4 years because there is a certain number of classes that you have to take that meet during the day/overlap with med school, and you need to pay tuition for it, so no way they will let you cram it in 4 years, I've looked into this since that's what I was interested in. also, you do need to take the gmat to apply, but I think it's not that hard to get it once you are a med student.

I think its a pretty good school.

I think it's a great school too with a good reputation! Can't go wrong there!

An Ivy League Med School and someone questions the reputation...??

If you have to ask, I really doubt whether you are qualified to be any kind of doctor.

I've been comparing this school to Boston (since I have to make a choice between the two). In regards to its relative reputation as compared to other Ivies, it could be lower because it was shutdown in the early 1900s, or at least did not award medical doctorates due to poor clinical training opportunities. Other than that I think the school has a fantastic reputation.

It depends on what you are trying to get at. Dartmouth is a reputable medical school just like most American medical schools. I would not say it has an elite reputation or is extremely prestigious. Being an ivy league med school def helps with reputation but as far as the medical world is concerned it is not a top 20 institution imo. But still a great great school.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, but it is what it is. The guy is obviously messing with us and is trying to troll. What kind of person doesn't know if an Ivy league school has a good reputation?

Sorry if I came off as harsh, but it is what it is. The guy is obviously messing with us and is trying to troll. What kind of person doesn't know if an Ivy league school has a good reputation?

Well I understand where the guy is coming from. Many of my friends here in California were stoked when I got into Dartmouth, but indifferent when I got into Boston University (some hadn't even heard of BU). I then had to break it to them that there are different things to look for in a medical school besides the prestige of the school's name.

Well I understand where the guy is coming from. Many of my friends here in California were stoked when I got into Dartmouth, but indifferent when I got into Boston University (some hadn't even heard of BU). I then had to break it to them that there are different things to look for in a medical school besides the prestige of the school's name.

Ok, I didn't mean to sound "trollish", but this quote is exactly what I was trying to get at. Just cause people know Dartmouth for it's undergrad, didn't mean it's med school was one of the best too and I wanted a comparison based on other schools. Maybe I should have compared it to another school, such as NYU or Mount Sinai.

Thanks for all your opinions though.

well, reputation and prestige are not neccessarily based on ranking i think.

I think people get really confused about dartmouth and brown because they are ivy school, arguably more selective than equally ranked schools (undergrad and grad), are full of traditions and history, and very reputable and pretigious like all other ivy instituitions, backed up by great hospitals, but somehow they don't have the rankings to back them up. They are ranked in the 30s instead of top 20 because these schools are smaller, more rural, less research oriented, and care more about school diversity than just taking the people with high stats. so basically their prestige will always overshadow the rankings US NEWs give them for undergrad and grad.

Status
Not open for further replies.