George Washington vs. UT Memphis Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrahmsBombs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

I would love your opinion on GW vs UT Memphis. UT is instate for me but GW is my top choice :love: .

Pros for UT: Close to Family, Integrated Curriculum, 3-4 year clinical exposure, Cheap

Pros for GW: Life in DC, Global Health Track, Better Match Results.

Can anyone give their $0.02 on these two schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the difference in cost of attendance? I've heard it said that you shouldn't rely on match lists because it's more dependent on the individual students than the school. What are the cons to the schools? If it's just based on those pros you gave I'd choose UT b/c it's cheap and close to family.

Cons:

UT- I hated Memphis when I visited, lower rank, less support in setting up international/global health opportunities (What I plan to do - you can still make it happen on your own, but GWU has a set track program for this).
GW - Price, traditional curriculum, not sure about its 3-4 year clinicals in comparison to UT.

It will cost me approx. $50,000 more to attend GWU. But I don't see this as a con if it helps me gain a more competitive residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cons:

UT- I hated Memphis when I visited, lower rank, less support in setting up international/global health opportunities (What I plan to do - you can still make it happen on your own, but GWU has a set track program for this).
GW - Price, traditional curriculum, not sure about its 3-4 year clinicals in comparison to UT.

It will cost me approx. $50,000 more to attend GWU. But I don't see this as a con if it helps me gain a more competitive residency.

I can't imagine that a school that was on probation a couple of years back (not for anything major sure, but still on probation) has sufficient additional "prestige" over a solid state school to outweigh $50,000 at 7.9% interest (probably at least six figures in repayment--a year's after-tax salary in some fields--when all is said and done). Go to UT.

I can't imagine that a school that was on probation a couple of years back (not for anything major sure, but still on probation) has sufficient additional "prestige" over a solid state school to outweigh $50,000 at 7.9% interest (probably at least six figures in repayment--a year's after-tax salary in some fields--when all is said and done). Go to UT.

I agree with you. GW was on probation for a reason. A tuition of $50000 (not including housing) per year is not a good investment to attend a school that was on probation. If you have another choice, you should definitely attend another school.

In my opinion, a solid state school is a better choice. Plus, your performance in medical school and Step 1 scores are the determining factors of which residency program you will end up with, not the prestige of the school. I have known of people who attended a state school but matched at Hopkins Radiology.

I don't think the probation thing was a big deal, and my understanding is that it's resolved. Prestige-wise it's about a wash, GWU is way older and kind of has that east coast prestige thing going, but I think most would kind of consider it below Georgetown, where as UT is the main show in Tennessee, and everyone has still heard of it. My decision would be based on the city, after 3 years of med school I know I wouldn't have wanted to do it in a place I wasn't happy. Normally when people ask where to go, I say take the cheapest option, but immediate second factor would be location. Sounds like GWU is that for you. Plus I agree, the global health track they have is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.