Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks futurecardio for the information. It's very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your insight! Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow:)

Done packing, ready for the long drive tomorrow!

Have a safe drive!

And I can't wait to meet everyone interviewing Saturday :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Excited and nervous for tomorrow!! Ahhh it's almost here...so close!

Just got into my hotel here in Pikeville. So excited for tomorrow!

Interview done...It was very short about 15 min! I was last so I think they wanted to leave, but he said keep your phone nearby next week....which is a good sign?

first they thought I was too young (I'm 21 and a senior in college) because I guess most of the applicants were a few years older...Also, they didn't have my whole application because they thought I only had done 88 credits?? But I have done more than 100 and I guess there was some application confusion.

Overall, in the end he asked me to sell myself and I talked about why I'm a good candidate and he said, "I'm sold. I like your energy, you've got spunk" And he said keep my phone nearby so I guess it went well?

I hope so:/

Last edited:
Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone could post some information on housing availability or any suggestions to those recently accepted.. thanks!:) and good luck to everyone interviewing..i will say my interview was relaxed and a big part was devoted to why pikeville? why D.O.? ..

With Pikeville being an established school for so long, are there scholarship opportunities available to qualified applicants? This information is always really vague online and I'm not seeing much on Pikeville's website.

Thanks everyone and good luck with interviews! :luck:

For open file interviews, can interviewers see what schools you applied to? Do they ever ask how you would pick a school if you got multiple acceptances?

I don't believe they can see which schools you applied to, though pretty much any question is fair game, including the one above. I was not asked that question in my interview, though.

I'm definitely getting anxious now...my interview was Saturday and I still haven't gotten a call, but the Dean was out of town on Saturday...pray for me!!

I'm definitely getting anxious now...my interview was Saturday and I still haven't gotten a call, but the Dean was out of town on Saturday...pray for me!!

I think the calls usually come anytime from monday-wednesday. When I saw you posted on here, I thought for sure you were posting to say you got the call and you had been accepted haha. I didn't get a call today either, but its good to know that it seems those haven't gone out yet!

No call either for me today. Hoping we get the call tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as well today! Interviewed this past Saturday.

For those of you accepted, could you post your stats and IS or OOS.

3.58 science gpa
3.67 overall gpa
22Q mcat
6 years of military medic experience
Florida resident

Congrats to all those that received acceptances today.

I have been accepted to a school closer to home -- west coast -- and will be declining my acceptance from KYCOM, so hopefully that will free up another spot for a future interviewee! Best of luck, everyone!

I got the call today as well--ACCEPTED!!!

My first med school acceptance...it feels good:)

By the way, is there a facebook group for Class of 2016?

Last edited:
Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone could post some information on housing availability or any suggestions to those recently accepted.. thanks!:) and good luck to everyone interviewing..i will say my interview was relaxed and a big part was devoted to why pikeville? why D.O.? ..

housing is a pain in the butt. Try adams and hensley rental agencies. I would start looking now and plan on at least paying a few months early. I started renting in mid april for august...housing situation is tight so that is why you need to rent early. Also check the paper, stop in appilacian express they will give you a paper and will try to help you. Be prepared for some crazy rent. I pay 825 for a 2 bedroom town house and thst doesnt include utilities. Now there are cheaper places, even some that are furnished, i just liked this place ans was the only place i found over weeks of looking that i liked so i jumped onit. If you rent from adams make sure you have a copy of your acceptance, that and some personal info is all they need. They will send out a housing list for you with phone numbers in the spring, and they will send emails as they get info on places to live. I wold suggest friending some first and second years on fb and ask if they are moving or if they have heard of anything opening up by august. Good luck guys!!!!:luck:

Can anyone post a match list for 2010 or 2011? I can't find it anywhere!

QUESTION!!
Did you use your AACOMAS essay for their statement of purposes in the secondary application? They did not really specify what they want you to write about.

does anyone have a hard time getting ahold of the admissions office? I have an interview on the 4th (or so the email invite said) and I am trying to find the best way of getting there. i've resorted to the 15 hour drive from kansas city i think as i have an interview the following week on the 8th in tennessee. however i dont even know if i have been officially given the spot because I haven't gotten a response from the admissions office. i got the invite the confirmed on the 13th confirmation email sent 15th. called on the 17th no answer. left message and email. no answer yet. called the 18th twice. no answer. today i decided to call over random periods throughout the day and also no answer. therefore i decided heck ill call the university line. this prompted me to the osteo department where i was transferred (by a machine) to two separate admissions people (no answer for either) and also to the front desk to which i also got a machine. What the heck is going on?!?

Should i be concerned i didn't get my interview spot or just show up on the fourth and say what's up y'all? lol.

TIA, Ross

QUESTION!!
Did you use your AACOMAS essay for their statement of purposes in the secondary application? They did not really specify what they want you to write about.

i think any opportunity you have to tell more about yourself should be used to say something different than what they have all read in your primary. just my .02

How long did it take for everyone to get a complete email after they submitted the secondary? I submitted mine about two weeks ago. My interfolio letter also hasn't been downloaded by them and it had been ready for a month, are they just busy with the transition?

They only have 1 person working in the admissions office and she has to sort through 2,000 applications. I would email Angel Hamilton or Ronnie Collins if you don't hear back after 2 weeks following submission of your secondary.

For me, they took 2 weeks after I submitted to get the complete email and interview invite.

Try calling Mr. Collins. You would probably have better luck. He seems pretty nice.

I'm still waiting for them to download my new MCAT scores. Hoping I can be invited to the November interview.

does anyone have a hard time getting ahold of the admissions office? I have an interview on the 4th (or so the email invite said) and I am trying to find the best way of getting there. i've resorted to the 15 hour drive from kansas city i think as i have an interview the following week on the 8th in tennessee. however i dont even know if i have been officially given the spot because I haven't gotten a response from the admissions office. i got the invite the confirmed on the 13th confirmation email sent 15th. called on the 17th no answer. left message and email. no answer yet. called the 18th twice. no answer. today i decided to call over random periods throughout the day and also no answer. therefore i decided heck ill call the university line. this prompted me to the osteo department where i was transferred (by a machine) to two separate admissions people (no answer for either) and also to the front desk to which i also got a machine. What the heck
Should i be concerned i didn't get my interview spot or just show up on the fourth and say what's up y'all? lol.

TIA, Ross

With only one person working admissions it gets tough. I wojuld call everyday around 8 and leave a msg and i would send emails ince a day with high urgency. She will get back to you its just hard. I wouldnt be suprised if thye got your conf and just didnt reply so if you dont hear back. Y then just show up! You do not want to miss this chance. Ohhhh and we are on fall break 28th- 31st of october so dont expect anything those two business days....they clo the offices too. Good luck! Oh and i may be at the nov interviews we will have to see how bad block weekend is!

well i got a hold of a guy named ron? thank goodness.

I got accepted here as well on Tuesday, my interview was Friday so I probably met a few of you already, hope to see you again in July.

for those accepted, how long did it take to receive the mailed packet?

for those accepted, how long did it take to receive the mailed packet?

I interviewed on 9/30 and just received my packet last night, but I also live on the West Coast. Also, the "packet" was really just an acceptance letter.

Does anyone know what the interview/acceptance rate is or last years data such as how many interviewed and how many were accepted?

Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know what the interview/acceptance rate is or last years data such as how many interviewed and how many were accepted?

Thank you in advance!

Just saw this after posting on the WVSOM thread:

US News and World Report Says:

Instate: Applied: 142 , Interviewed: 94 , Accepted: 64 , Enrolled: 47

OutofState: Applied: 2389 , Interviewed: 127 , Accepted: 106 , Enrolled:33

This seems off to me...not sure though..but thats what it said

I interviewed on 9/30 and just received my packet last night, but I also live on the West Coast. Also, the "packet" was really just an acceptance letter.

haha ok thanks! just got the phone call tuesday, so I might still have to wait a bit

I called admissions and talked to academic affairs and they said KYCOM does not release match list information/residency placements...and I thought it was rather strange as I know mostly every other DO school does....

Anyone know if a facebook group has already been made for the 2016 class?

I just submitted my secondary today. I've been trying to get in touch with KYCOM for about 2 weeks about my fee waiver and gave up today and just paid the $75. Of course then I got an email with Ronnie Collins number and called him, immediately got an answer, and luckily will be refunded the $75. Think today was late submitting or still have a shot at an interview before Jan?

They have 2 more rounds of interviews in November and December, so you still have a shot!

Also, I couldn't find the Facebook group for Class of 2015 or 2016 and the Class of 2015 people had written it on the board during the interview but I don't know if I'm typing the wrong name?

For those of you accepted, could you post your stats and IS or OOS.

There is hope for everyone with a low GPA like myself. 2.9/2.9 GPA, 28 mcat, OOS, light on volunteer hours and I got the call on Tuesday. Pretty sure this is our favorite place so far. And you get an iPad 2 :)

I just submitted my secondary today.....and i was just wondering how long did it take ppl from the date of submitting their secondary till you got a call for interview? also...im from NEW JERSEY...i feel like i have NO SHOT!

GPA overall :3.1
GPA science :3.2
MCAT:21P

I'm from Chicago and I got accepted and a lot of people in my interview were from out of state so don't give up!

It took them 2 weeks for me to go from complete email to interview invite.

Your stats are a bit lower than their average, but if they like other parts of your application, then you have a chance.

Their MCAT and GPA average is 24 MCAT and 3.3 GPA.

I just got the "complete" email. They are pretty fast once you actually get it submitted it seems. I guess now I am just waiting on an interview invite. Is anyone else in this boat?

I just got the "complete" email. They are pretty fast once you actually get it submitted it seems. I guess now I am just waiting on an interview invite. Is anyone else in this boat?

i am...i was complete on 10/13...hopefully i'll hear something this week! good luck!