2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an M1 at RFUMS and I saw a few questions about the student body. You may have all already turned in your secondaries, but I wanted to put a few answers out there for people searching around. Rosalind Franklin has a really great atmosphere. It's a small school (our class is around 180 students), so we all try to stick together. There are also schools for podiatry, physical therapy, physicians assistants, nurse anesthesia, pathology assistants and a few others, so we get to see a lot of people that aren't in every single class. I like it here because people, even those I don't know, are willing to help me out, say hello and smile. It's friendly. I didn't want to go to a school that was cut throat, or where people would not help you so they could get a better grade, and I'm happy I made that choice. Med school is a lot of hours, and you want them to be as pleasant as possible, you know? When you are in the anatomy lab at 2 in the morning on a Saturday night, don't you want the people in there with you to be nice to be around? I do!

Also, I saw some questions about the PBL style. Most teaching is didactic, but every semester we have a few PBL days. The classes are good about teaching the same diseases, so you keep reinforcing what you learned in different ways.

About application status updates: I don't work for the office of admin or anything, but I have heard some crazy rumors about the number of applications Chicago Medical got this year, so I wonder if they're just really busy. Keep trying, the office is really friendly.

Last, I live in a dorm here. The building is 3 years old, and the dorms are really nice and big. In a double, there is a shared kitchen and living room and large storage closet, then each student gets a large bedroom and their own bathroom. Personally, I have a lot of dead space in mine, because I don't need that much room for studying and sleeping! Everyone who has seem my dorm has been impressed with how big it is, and how clean it is.

Good luck everyone. Keep up your spirits!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what are you doin there, looks like you already had your interview?

Has anybody heard anything from this school yet in terms of acceptances for this month?

has any1 got interview invites in feb??

Has anybody heard anything from this school yet in terms of acceptances for this month?
i am wondering the same thing, have you been updated on your status this month at all (still on hold...)?

i am wondering the same thing, have you been updated on your status this month at all (still on hold...)?

I actually have not gotten a single email from them since January. I'm assuming I'm on hold, as I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but no acceptance either. What about you?

I actually have not gotten a single email from them since January. I'm assuming I'm on hold, as I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but no acceptance either. What about you?
same here, my last email was on jan 2nd :(

I was wondering if they send out "complete" email since I haven't heard anything from them since receiving a secondary sometime in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone....any interview invites???....i called up admissions and they told me they r still interviewing and their class is not full....

I was thinking about calling the admissions to ask about that. Awesome! Im glad its not full yet. However, I read on the site that interviews end mid-February which makes me kinda nervous.

I got another post-interview hold e-mail today. I interviewed in early November btw. Oh well, I'm already set on UIC but I'm curious to see what RFU ultimately decides. Or should I withdraw now to increase other people's chances?

I got another post-interview hold e-mail today. I interviewed in early November btw. Oh well, I'm already set on UIC but I'm curious to see what RFU ultimately decides. Or should I withdraw now to increase other people's chances?

If you might go depending on FinAid, wait. If you would never go, let it go. Either way, I support your decision ;)

I was thinking about calling the admissions to ask about that. Awesome! Im glad its not full yet. However, I read on the site that interviews end mid-February which makes me kinda nervous.

That must be a misprint, because they interview through April.

If you might go depending on FinAid, wait. If you would never go, let it go. Either way, I support your decision ;)

If financial aid is the only reason you're holding out for CMS, I wouldn't. They told us at the interview day that the only aid they give out is loans--no scholarships. And they don't actually "give out" loans (they're just what you'd be eligible for under federal programs or private bank loans), so you'd get the same thing at any other school.

That's the one drawback of this school: the tuition is fairly high, and you end up having to borrow the whole thing.

yep, i got the hold e-mail today as well - much sooner than i was expecting considering my interview wasn't even a week ago.

I think we were there the same day. I was the really tall guy.... Who were you (You can PM if you don't wanna say....)

I'm curious about your interviews, etc....

Thanks! I haven't made my mind up yet about whether to withdraw or not but if you see me posting updates that I've rec'd another hold e-mail, then you'll know...

i was the guy who had to go for the third interview.

Oh man. Well, there was another guy, but I know who you are. I'm sorry you had that one bad interview experience. Sorry it came out as a hold. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Oh man. Well, there was another guy, but I know who you are. I'm sorry you had that one bad interview experience. Sorry it came out as a hold. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

thanks. but what about you? did you not hear anything from them yesterday?

RFUMS 3rd year here. Good luck guys! And feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.

i was just looking at last years forum, and it seems once you get on hold, ur stuck until at least april, and your pretty much guaranteed to be on the waiting list come May

yay! =)

I just realized CMS is non-rolling...does that mean they do a huge pile of acceptances towards April/May?

I just realized CMS is non-rolling...does that mean they do a huge pile of acceptances towards April/May?

I think they are rolling, they said there is no time frame but they do meet monthly to make decisions.

On AMCAS, it says they don't do rolling admissions. I dunno, seems like nobody has posted that they've been accepted since December.

On AMCAS, it says they don't do rolling admissions. I dunno, seems like nobody has posted that they've been accepted since December.

Non-rolling schools wait till March 15th or so. Since people are getting holds recently and have been accepted this cycle, to me, means they do rolling.

Since people heard about holds this week, I wonder if their committee met recently. I believe I remember them saying that they snail mail offers and you found out either way after a committee meeting. So i wonder if acceptanec letters will arrive later this week to the lucky ones.

Since people heard about holds this week, I wonder if their committee met recently. I believe I remember them saying that they snail mail offers and you found out either way after a committee meeting. So i wonder if acceptanec letters will arrive later this week to the lucky ones.

I think they email and snail-mail offers.. according to the Acceptance thread.

yeah they email. i got mine by email, then letter followed. good luck people!

They actually interview through May, I called today...so YAY!

i was just looking at last years forum, and it seems once you get on hold, ur stuck until at least april, and your pretty much guaranteed to be on the waiting list come May

yay! =)

I don't see how this is good news for those interviewed. Basically, even, if you're at the bottom of their hold list or whatever they call it, you'll be placed on the waitlist, given hope all the way until Aug, before they reject you or tell you that the class is full.

I don't see how this is good news for those interviewed. Basically, even, if you're at the bottom of their hold list or whatever they call it, you'll be placed on the waitlist, given hope all the way until Aug, before they reject you or tell you that the class is full.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Abraham was employing a widely-used communication technique called sarcasm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Abraham was employing a widely-used communication technique called sarcasm...

I wasn't too sure. The happy face threw me off.

Just got an interview invite!

Mee too! That was a surprise... I know interview invites are still being extended, but I figured schools were pretty close to being done.

Anyone else interviewing March 16th?

Congratulations virusgirl and cast128. The interviews were quite relaxed, not nerve-wracking by any means, so I hopefully y'all enjoy them.

Has anybody been accepted in Jan or Feb yet? The last acceptance was quite awhile ago.

Just got an interview invite!

Me three. I guess today was interview invite day. Since I'm sure someone is interested, I received the "file complete" email on December 11.

Hey Guys-

So I have been complete with the notice file under review since the beginning of Jan. I re-took my MCATs again 1/30. The scores come out March 3rd.

Is CMS going to be putting my apps on hold? When do interview invites come out usually? I know a lot of people just got one, but I am just hoping that some good news may come soon.

I was just curious if they take a higher preference to IS residents or people closer in their area?

Hey Guys-

So I have been complete with the notice file under review since the beginning of Jan. I re-took my MCATs again 1/30. The scores come out March 3rd.

Is CMS going to be putting my apps on hold? When do interview invites come out usually? I know a lot of people just got one, but I am just hoping that some good news may come soon.
a lot of school will not consider your january mcat score for entering fall 2009...

I was just curious if they take a higher preference to IS residents or people closer in their area?

According to US News, in-state applicants have a much better chance.

Edit: If you meant in-state vs. people who live in Wisconsin or something, I don't know.

According to US News, in-state applicants have a much better chance.

Edit: If you meant in-state vs. people who live in Wisconsin or something, I don't know.

To the best of my knowledge, Wisconsin is not in the state of Illinois :idea:.

Status
Not open for further replies.