2009-2010 Cornell University (Weill Medical College) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist recently!

I'm still trying to decide between Cornell and CCLCM (have the weekend to choose). For current students and those of you who are definitely matriculating in August: what made you finally choose Cornell over other programs you were considering? I have a good feeling about Cornell so far; I also know that financially it would not be the best decision. So I'm curious as to what clinched the decision for others (besides financial aid), and if anyone chose it over a school that offered a significantly better aid package.

These are much different programs curriculum wise and size wise, but to be honest, both similarly ranked/regard. Studying medicine in Manhattan will be much different because of the pathologies you'll see. At least in your rotations outside of NYP-Cornell Weill (and to an extent, there too), most of your patients will be of a diverse cultural decent, including an abundance of immigrants (especially in the rotations done in one of the other boroughs). CCLM is clearly more intimate, and I think there's the whole 5th year built in for research. This is possible at Cornell too.

But really, I think the question you should be asking yourself is Ohio or NYC? Where would you be happier? There are many other differences between the schools, but ultimately, this is going to be what it comes down to. Which did you feel more comfortable in: the Manhattan or the Ohio lifestyle?

So is it Ohio or NYC? And if it's NYC is it worth $xxxx thousand dollars to you to go there over Ohio?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There was a post a page or two back about Cornell switching to P/F for the first 2 years. Would anyone or any current student be able to comment about this? Is this something to ask Dean Montano directly...or someone else? I know it's not at all the biggest thing in the world, but I'd like to get a clear answer if there is one out there. Thanks so much!

There was a post a page or two back about Cornell switching to P/F for the first 2 years. Would anyone or any current student be able to comment about this? Is this something to ask Dean Montano directly...or someone else? I know it's not at all the biggest thing in the world, but I'd like to get a clear answer if there is one out there. Thanks so much!

Don't know about the switch but people said there would still an internal ranking so I guess it doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know about the switch but people said there would still an internal ranking so I guess it doesn't matter.

what people? where did you get this info? I hope this isnt the typical sdn hearsay that gets pushed off as 'fact' after a while. It seems like the best idea is to contact the school.

Most schools even with p/f for the first two years have internal ranking. Whether or not that includes preclinical grades or if it is just clerkships scores may vary. The caveat for Cornell was that you'd no longer receive honors for the first two years but that your grades would still influence your quartile ranking within the school. Rumors? I have no idea.

Most schools even with p/f for the first two years have internal ranking. Whether or not that includes preclinical grades or if it is just clerkships scores may vary. The caveat for Cornell was that you'd no longer receive honors for the first two years but that your grades would still influence your quartile ranking within the school. Rumors? I have no idea.

May I ask where you received the bolded info? The current students whom I've spoken with said they are still unsure themselves, so I'm curious as to how a bunch of premeds on sdn are privy to this info.

May I ask where you received the bolded info? The current students whom I've spoken with said they are still unsure themselves, so I'm curious as to how a bunch of premeds on sdn are privy to this info.

It was posted on a thread awhile back I'm not sure who said it.

It's a change that's being considered but there is no definite change yet. I'm not part of the groups involved with this decision making process. Personally i didn't think h/p/f was a big deal when I was a student (although I understand that in spite of my memories being pretty fresh, it has been 10 years since i graduated, so by SDN standards I'm ancient and not to be trusted.) I'm not so sure it's really that big a deal to current students in my daily interactions but does seem to be a big deal to applicants.

anyone know if people starting in the fall will be doing pass fail?

It's a change that's being considered but there is no definite change yet. I'm not part of the groups involved with this decision making process. Personally i didn't think h/p/f was a big deal when I was a student (although I understand that in spite of my memories being pretty fresh, it has been 10 years since i graduated, so by SDN standards I'm ancient and not to be trusted.) I'm not so sure it's really that big a deal to current students in my daily interactions but does seem to be a big deal to applicants.

Thank you so much. Very helpful.

Hey All-

Some of us accepted students are getting together for drinks/food/hanging out this weekend, so if anybody's in the area, you should come! At the moment it's looking like Sunday 6/6 works the best for everybody. We haven't pegged down a time or place yet so we're open to suggestions, preferably somewhere in SF proper or even in the East Bay. Tapas? Margaritas? Ice cream? Come over to the FB group and say hello!

anyone know if people starting in the fall will be doing pass fail?
they are throwing around a few proposals right now. nothing set in stone, but if it is approved it would go into effect immediately (as far as I know... which is not much).

if anyone else has any questions feel free to shoot me a message. I don't check the forums much.

Accepted off the waitlist! I actually never sent them a letter, so I guess that sending a letter is not essential. Probably coming :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist! I actually never sent them a letter, so I guess that sending a letter is not essential. Probably coming :-D

Congrats!

Thanks! How long did it take you all to receive financial aid information?

The finaid office says 2-3 days. Mine took longer but only because of delays on my side.

I was accepted last month off of the wait list and have lots of questions since I missed the second look-

Does anyone know if there is there a laptop requirement?

Also, I plan to live in Olin Hall but don't remember much about the rooms from my interview day. How small are the rooms? And if anyone has any general tips about living in Olin they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Nope, no requirement. Most of our computers at school are Macs, and in the hospital they are PCs. So everything we do will run on either one you choose. And we now have wireless throughout the dorms as well.

Also, I plan to live in Olin Hall but don't remember much about the rooms from my interview day. How small are the rooms? And if anyone has any general tips about living in Olin they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Information on room dimensions can be found on the housing website (or click here). Most Olin rooms are 13' x 10', and you share a bathroom with one other person. Furniture is included of course. There is also common space on each floor, with a full kitchen, couches and dining table (all recently renovated, I believe). Gym and laundry are in the basement, including a full basketball court.

Living in Olin is fun. You get to live with all your classmates, so you get to know everyone really well. It's a dorm, but not a bad dorm at all. It's great to cook together, and study together in the common space. And of course, living directly across the street from class is a bonus as well.

Nope, no requirement. Most of our computers at school are Macs, and in the hospital they are PCs. So everything we do will run on either one you choose. And we now have wireless throughout the dorms as well.

Information on room dimensions can be found on the housing website (or click here). Most Olin rooms are 13' x 10', and you share a bathroom with one other person. Furniture is included of course. There is also common space on each floor, with a full kitchen, couches and dining table (all recently renovated, I believe). Gym and laundry are in the basement, including a full basketball court.

Living in Olin is fun. You get to live with all your classmates, so you get to
know everyone really well. It's a dorm, but not a bad dorm at all. It's great to cook together, and study together in the common space. And of course, living directly across the street from class is a bonus as well.

thanks so much!

Any recent wait list acceptances? Should we start waving the white flag now?

hey
i am an incoming student at weill cornell. I looked at this website to find housing rates:

http://www.med.cornell.edu/housing/building/rent.html?name1=Monthly+Housing+Fees&type1=2Active

so does this mean that 2nd year students will at least have to pay 1,150-1,300 per month if they want their own bedroom. do most 2nd-4th year students share a bedroom (have roommates). I don't know anything about rent in NYC so I guess that still may be good but this is steeper than I expected. Can 2nd-4th year students continue to live in olin if they want?

hey
i am an incoming student at weill cornell. I looked at this website to find housing rates:

http://www.med.cornell.edu/housing/building/rent.html?name1=Monthly+Housing+Fees&type1=2Active

so does this mean that 2nd year students will at least have to pay 1,150-1,300 per month if they want their own bedroom. do most 2nd-4th year students share a bedroom (have roommates). I don't know anything about rent in NYC so I guess that still may be good but this is steeper than I expected. Can 2nd-4th year students continue to live in olin if they want?

You have to have a special reason to get a studio. Those are really for married students and things like that.

Majority of the class is in the 2 bedroom/3 share 2nd thru 4th year so take that price and divide by 3. A little under $900/month. If you want to get your own studio apartment, be prepared to pay. You won't find anything under $1200 very close to the hospital.

Yeah, as DrLyss said. Those prices are for the entire apartment. So you would pay for 1/3 or 1/2 of it if you're in a 3 or 2 bedroom.

You can't stay in Olin for 4 years, and you probably wouldn't want to. It's fun for the first year, but then you want your own kitchen and such. Everyone will move to Lasdon during the summer between 1st and 2nd year.

Married students have other options, and check out the couples housing policy on the housing website. You have to apply ahead of time, and you'll be placed in a studio apartment or 1 BR based on availability.

I would say 5-10% of my classmates choose to live off-campus for various reasons.

You have to have a special reason to get a studio. Those are really for married students and things like that.

Majority of the class is in the 2 bedroom/3 share 2nd thru 4th year so take that price and divide by 3. A little under $900/month. If you want to get your own studio apartment, be prepared to pay. You won't find anything under $1200 very close to the hospital.

What does 2 bedroom/3 share mean? Do 3 people share a 2 bedroom apartment? Does that mean people are sharing rooms to get that price?

thanks for the responses

What does 2 bedroom/3 share mean? Do 3 people share a 2 bedroom apartment? Does that mean people are sharing rooms to get that price?

yeah i'm still confused about this. is the site just wrong, is it supposed to be 2 bedroom/2 share and 3 bedroom/3 share? Also is it pretty easy to to find roommates? does it happen that someone can't find a roomate and so has to try to get studio or go outside of the campus?

You can't stay in Olin for 4 years, and you probably wouldn't want to. It's fun for the first year, but then you want your own kitchen and such. Everyone will move to Lasdon during the summer between 1st and 2nd year.

This is not technically correct. Continued housing in Olin (the dorms) is not guaranteed, but they will let you live there for all 4 years if able and if you request it, of course. There are many grad students (phds) and a couple med students (at least one in our class) who do this. Nonetheless, Lasdon is much nicer on many levels, though a ~200 dollar price difference and no roommates does matter to some people.

This is a really confusing way of describing housing but I will try to shed some light on this. Starting in 1999 (plus or minus 1-2 years), housing began renovating all of the apartments in Lasdon. Originally, all apartments were either 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartments. It's important to note that these "original" apartments had a designated living area which was separate from the bedroom and the kitchen area. With the renovation, the living area was cordoned off and made into an additional bedroom. These renovations took a little less than a decade (for the entire 14 floors of apartments) and were completed a few years ago. As a result, all 1 bedroom apartments now have 2 bedrooms and all 2 bedroom apartments have 3 bedrooms.

For some reason, housing still uses the confusing designation of 2 bedroom/3 share and 1 bedroom/2 share to describe this. Truthfully, the history of this should be forgotten and the apartments should only be called 2 shares and 3 shares because the renovations have long been completed, and the living area turned bedroom is indistinguishable from the original bedrooms. So, try to ignore the "bedroom" number and just look at the "share" part. Don't fear though, because share = bedroom. The only important outcome of all these renovations is that the apartments have no traditional living room. There is a common kitchen, hallway, bathroom but no area to really have people over and sit down and talk/watch TV OUTSIDE of the bedroom. The kitchens can be large enough to do this, but it's not quite the same. Nonetheless, in NYC there are little other options for ~800/month (per person), especially considering that you live 1 block away from school. In reality, it's not perfect but it's pretty amazing when you consider all the factors.

I hope this helped! :)

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, there are studios in Lasdon as well but these are usually reserved for couples.

This is a really confusing way of describing housing but I will try to shed some light on this. Starting in 1999 (plus or minus 1-2 years), housing began renovating all of the apartments in Lasdon. Originally, all apartments were either 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartments. It's important to note that these "original" apartments had a designated living area which was separate from the bedroom and the kitchen area. With the renovation, the living area was cordoned off and made into an additional bedroom. These renovations took a little less than a decade (for the entire 14 floors of apartments) and were completed a few years ago. As a result, all 1 bedroom apartments now have 2 bedrooms and all 2 bedroom apartments have 3 bedrooms.

For some reason, housing still uses the confusing designation of 2 bedroom/3 share and 1 bedroom/2 share to describe this. Truthfully, the history of this should be forgotten and the apartments should only be called 2 shares and 3 shares because the renovations have long been completed, and the living area turned bedroom is indistinguishable from the original bedrooms. So, try to ignore the "bedroom" number and just look at the "share" part. Don't fear though, because share = bedroom. The only important outcome of all these renovations is that the apartments have no traditional living room. There is a common kitchen, hallway, bathroom but no area to really have people over and sit down and talk/watch TV OUTSIDE of the bedroom. The kitchens can be large enough to do this, but it's not quite the same. Nonetheless, in NYC there are little other options for ~800/month (per person), especially considering that you live 1 block away from school. In reality, it's not perfect but it's pretty amazing when you consider all the factors.

I hope this helped! :)

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, there are studios in Lasdon as well but these are usually reserved for couples.

Thanks!!

This is not technically correct. Continued housing in Olin (the dorms) is not guaranteed, but they will let you live there for all 4 years if able and if you request it, of course. There are many grad students (phds) and a couple med students (at least one in our class) who do this. Nonetheless, Lasdon is much nicer on many levels, though a ~200 dollar price difference and no roommates does matter to some people.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a med student at Cornell. One of my friends goes there, however, and I got the sense that yes, you can stay in the dorms into MS2 (and for the summer after MS1, and possibly beyond) if you want to. But it isn't guaranteed. I think he had been looking for couples housing with his SO at another NYC med school, but plans for that fell through. And, unfortunately, when he went back to Cornell to claim his current place in Olin....was denied. I know he was somewhat upset about this.

So, having not filled out the Cornell apartment housing application, he's unfortunately left going to have to pay $1400 for a studio apartment near campus next year.

So moral of the story. It's possible, but you gotta be on top of it.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a med student at Cornell. One of my friends goes there, however, and I got the sense that yes, you can stay in the dorms into MS2 (and for the summer after MS1, and possibly beyond) if you want to. But it isn't guaranteed. I think he had been looking for couples housing with his SO at another NYC med school, but plans for that fell through. And, unfortunately, when he went back to Cornell to claim his current place in Olin....was denied. I know he was somewhat upset about this.

So, having not filled out the Cornell apartment housing application, he's unfortunately left going to have to pay $1400 for a studio apartment near campus next year.

So moral of the story. It's possible, but you gotta be on top of it.

Olin is used to house the entire first year class, plus PAs, grad students and even a few visiting undergrads. It is almost entirely filled by this every year. During the summer, Olin is used by undergrads from Ithaca for their summer program. This is why they try to move all 1st year MDs around June to Lasdon. Staying in Olin is not an option. They need the rooms for the summer, and then for the next incoming class. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but that doesn't change the rule. If you are a couple, or have other special circumstances, there are options that can be discussed on a case by case basis.

Olin is used to house the entire first year class, plus PAs, grad students and even a few visiting undergrads. It is almost entirely filled by this every year. During the summer, Olin is used by undergrads from Ithaca for their summer program. This is why they try to move all 1st year MDs around June to Lasdon. Staying in Olin is not an option. They need the rooms for the summer, and then for the next incoming class. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but that doesn't change the rule. If you are a couple, or have other special circumstances, there are options that can be discussed on a case by case basis.

Again, this is not correct. Staying in Olin IS allowed by the housing department here at WCMC. It is not advertised because there is almost no practical way to do this other than on a case-by-case basis. Despite this, valid excuses are not necessary to remain in Olin, just the presence of an unoccupied room. The norm is for medical students (and most grads) to move to Lasdon following their first year, which was spent in Olin. There is no "rule" though, and the housing department will TRY to accommodate a request should one arise. To be specific, I'm referring to those who either request 2 shares in Lasdon or for the anomalous medical student who wishes to remain in Olin. Though this latter case is extremely rare (and I would venture to say most WCMC students are not aware this is possible), it happens with relative ease provided there is a room available. I will repeat, I know of at least 2 medical students who have done this recently and it was EASY, though not guaranteed.

EDIT: To further clarify, the summers actually have more rooms available than during the year. Cornell undergrads participate in an "Urban Semester" program year-round and the summer is no exception. However, their relative numbers do not differ by season and the summer therefore has more availability. Of course though, it is the following year's class size that determines whether a medical student can remain past their first year in Olin. To be honest, a year ago WCMC began housing undergrads at the YMCA on the Upper East Side instead of Olin. So, technically there are more rooms available but I think it is a safe assumption to say that they were moved out of Olin due to overcrowding so this probably doesn't change much. We can sit here all day and discuss the factors that make it hard to remain in Olin past first year but it really doesn't matter. In summary, it is very very rare for a medical student to stay in Olin past their first year (both due to personal preference and availability of rooms) but IT IS possible to do so. Jumping through hoops is not required.

Last edited:
which of the orientation activities would you guys recommend (cAMP vs. urban experience)? Also for cAMP do you camp at sites that have restrooms and showers? do you sleep indoors or is it outside in sleeping bags?

which of the orientation activities would you guys recommend (cAMP vs. urban experience)? Also for cAMP do you camp at sites that have restrooms and showers? do you sleep indoors or is it outside in sleeping bags?

Both programs are a lot of fun. I went on cAMP as a first-year, and have helped with urban experience during subsequent years.

cAMP is a five day trip into the Catskills, lead by upper-classmen. You can choose a stationary group with one campsite, or a mobile group that hikes between multiple campsites. You sleep in sleeping bags, outside, under tarps. There are no restrooms or showers. It's a wilderness experience.

Urban experience happens in the city. You explore the city with upper-classmen, with scavenger hunts, shows, restaurants, bars and clubs.

If I had to choose one again, I would go for cAMP. It's a great bonding experience, and you get to know a group of people very well before school starts. You spend five days with these people, cooking, setting up camp, building fires, telling stories and jokes. My closest friends at school are still the people I was on cAMP with. Urban Experience tends to be more scattered, because everyone is living in their separate rooms in Olin, and choosing which events they want to go to. So you get to know a few people, but not like on cAMP. However, if you need restrooms and showers, cAMP may not be for you. But if you're interested in doing something different, that you may never do again, sign up for cAMP, you won't regret it. Plus, you have 4 years to experience New York.

I'd go for cAMP. You have a whole 4 years to explore NYC! Why not spend some quality time bonding with your classmates beforehand in a much more conducive setting?

Interesting...but I really hate when articles are written by individuals who don't really present both viewpoints. Clearly there are a lot of perspectives left out because of the blatant bias.

I definitely agree. I've been looking for response articles but haven't had any luck. This http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(07)01335-3/abstract was written by a professor of bioethics at Northwestern and a professor of religion and philosophy at American. I don't think that this is a reflection of the entire Medical College but I was curious if this was on students' radars.

got the call from Dean Montano today. movement is still happening :D

I was accepted last month off of the wait list and have lots of questions since I missed the second look-

Hey Chloe88,

I'm actually living in Olin Hall for my Travelers Summer Research Fellowship Program. The rooms are a good size, but still small (if you send an email I can send pics of my room/bathroom). The room has a twin bed, desk, bookshelf, dresser, and shelves on the wall. The closet is eh, 5 feet long? The bathrooms are old, moldy, and nasty -- but the water pressure is hard core (kinda hurts). I think if you live up to the 6th level you get free wi-fi. I think 7th-10th (or 9th?) you have to pay $45 to have your internet connected. Each level has a communal kitchen (the fridge is always jam packed). There is a laundry room, basketball court, and workout center in the basement. Also, from what the M1 students told me, its a requirement to live here your first here unless you are married.

Good luck with medical school! Can you give me any tips about the interview? I was just notified yesterday I have an interview in 2 weeks. Thanks

Hey Chloe88,

I'm actually living in Olin Hall for my Travelers Summer Research Fellowship Program. The rooms are a good size, but still small (if you send an email I can send pics of my room/bathroom). The room has a twin bed, desk, bookshelf, dresser, and shelves on the wall. The closet is eh, 5 feet long? The bathrooms are old, moldy, and nasty -- but the water pressure is hard core (kinda hurts). I think if you live up to the 6th level you get free wi-fi. I think 7th-10th (or 9th?) you have to pay $45 to have your internet connected. Each level has a communal kitchen (the fridge is always jam packed). There is a laundry room, basketball court, and workout center in the basement. Also, from what the M1 students told me, its a requirement to live here your first here unless you are married.

Good luck with medical school! Can you give me any tips about the interview? I was just notified yesterday I have an interview in 2 weeks. Thanks

Those two bolded points aren't true, but the rest is. (Might be true for the Travelers students though :) ) Internet is included in your tuition. Also, you don't have to live in Olin it's a choice... but if you are going to do Cornell housing then yes all 1st years that are not in couple housing live in Olin... but there are a few people who lived in their own apartments.

And enjoy the Travelers program! I loved it... and the interview is chill don't stress it. Dr. Miller is the man.

Those two bolded points aren't true, but the rest is. (Might be true for the Travelers students though :) ) Internet is included in your tuition. Also, you don't have to live in Olin it's a choice... but if you are going to do Cornell housing then yes all 1st years that are not in couple housing live in Olin... but there are a few people who lived in their own apartments.

And enjoy the Travelers program! I loved it... and the interview is chill don't stress it. Dr. Miller is the man.

the bathrooms are truly "old, moldy, and nasty"??

I think that's a slight over-exaggeration. But still....it's NYC....and it's a dorm. What do you expect? Marble counters?

its luck of the draw to be honest. Some people had bathrooms with brand new tile and new shower heads, clean as a whistle. Other bathrooms... not so much :) Nothing that isn't livable... and if you have a problem you call maintenance and they will fix it up for you.

its luck of the draw to be honest. Some people had bathrooms with brand new tile and new shower heads, clean as a whistle. Other bathrooms... not so much :) Nothing that isn't livable... and if you have a problem you call maintenance and they will fix it up for you.

thanks so much for responding...sounds good.

I think that's a slight over-exaggeration. But still....it's NYC....and it's a dorm. What do you expect? Marble counters?

Please. marble counters aren't even in my dreams yet...maybe after i pay off all the debt to come.

Can any current students can advise on what books are helpful to buy for this coming fall MS1 class (and which you found helpful or unnecessary your first year at Weill)? Preference for atlases, and insight as to which books are provided/sufficiently supplemented already?

hey does anyone know if the olin dorms have free landlines for telephones? trying to figure out whether to increase cell phone plan or if I can manage with google voice and skype. thanks

Has anyone applied for ubsubsidized loans (i.e. grad PLUS) yet? I've returned my financial aid acceptance form, but I have yet to hear anything back regarding how / when I should be applying for additional loans to cover the large amount of money my parents aren't willing to pay. Is anyone else in the same position?

Also, has anyone who has submitted the requisite health forms heard anything back from Student Health Services? And has anyone heard anything regarding rooming assignments or anything related to housing?

Nope, haven't heard anything. I just indicated on my finaid form that I'd need loans but never heard anything again. Same goes for housing, health, etc. Some of this we'll probably hear before we start, others I have a feeling will have to wait until orientation.

Also, has anyone who has submitted the requisite health forms heard anything back from Student Health Services?

greetings. You won't hear anything back from Student Health Services until after orientation - we simply can't get back to folks in real time just because we're a pretty small operation, and the class is still in flux usually up until the days before orientation. After orientation we reach out to all the matriculated students to review any outstanding deficiencies, place PPD#2, etc...

Folks who are reading this that still haven't sent in forms, please remember to make a copy of everything you send over just on the off chance that something happens in the mail.

welcome to wcmc

Status
Not open for further replies.