2009-2010 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
received invite for late jan. didn't someone say that the class was already full though?

Members don't see this ad.

the email attachment they sent me with all the info doesn't work... it says the file is damaged (tried on a couple computers). can anyone send it to me? if you can, PM me and i'll give you my email address.

I opened the attachment, but my problem is that the link for signing up for a student host doesn't work. It redirects to the admissions page. Has this happened to anyone else?

no worries everyone i got tulane to send me another copy :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I opened the attachment, but my problem is that the link for signing up for a student host doesn't work. It redirects to the admissions page. Has this happened to anyone else?

mine does the same thing

Interview invite today!! What did you guys think of the school??

when were you complete? when did you submit your secondary? what are your stats?

i know its a lot of questions! but would really appreciate you answering any!

btw, good luck for the interview.

does anyone here know where i can find the most recent tulane residency match list?

For anyone curious about the class being "full"

"Oh boy! Folks always get this wrong on Student Doctor.com so PLEASE correct this misinformation for me. We are still accepting students at the same rate as always. The Class is not full. We will be accepting students until the first day of Classes. May 15th is the deadline for deposits. That’s when we REALLY know who is coming to Tulane. Then, there can be Acceptance Range folks moved into “accepted” slots so please, please be patient and spread the word that Tulane is NOT FULL.
Thanks,
Dr. B"

so no need to panic for all those with upcoming interviews.

Interview invite for 2/01. Complete 9/03. OOS, 30O, very old 3.1 cGPA, 3.91 sGPA

"Oh boy! Folks always get this wrong on Student Doctor.com so PLEASE correct this misinformation for me. We are still accepting students at the same rate as always. The Class is not full. We will be accepting students until the first day of Classes. May 15th is the deadline for deposits. That’s when we REALLY know who is coming to Tulane. Then, there can be Acceptance Range folks moved into “accepted” slots so please, please be patient and spread the word that Tulane is NOT FULL.
Thanks,
Dr. B"

the same rate as always? oh boy!

Thanks,
Dr. B"

Hehe...now we have solid evidence that internet rumors are dangerous, and that SDN is not, in fact, the final authority in med schools :). Thanks for checking that out...that made my weekend, since my interview is coming up on Monday!

withdrew from 1/25 interview. if you want to switch to that date, try giving their office a call

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so it says we should be done by 2:30 on interview day, but the latest flight out with Southwest (cheap!) seems to be 4PM...the question is do you think that is enough time to make it to the airport? I'll be traveling real light, so I'm hoping so but I wanted to get opinions from some of you guys who have already interviewed and/or are familiar with the area since it'd be cutting it pretty close.

Hey guys, so it says we should be done by 2:30 on interview day, but the latest flight out with Southwest (cheap!) seems to be 4PM...the question is do you think that is enough time to make it to the airport? I'll be traveling real light, so I'm hoping so but I wanted to get opinions from some of you guys who have already interviewed and/or are familiar with the area since it'd be cutting it pretty close.
Yes! A cab will come in like 5 min and its like 20-30 min to the airport, but more importantly the last thing you do is the tour and it is only with students who are super flexible. I think I cut out of mine like 15 min early and not only was it not a problem, one of the tour guides gave me a cab # to call.

I agree with KTD. Also, since MSY is pretty small, there isn't as long a wait to get through security that you may be used to if you were to go through one of the major airports. Just make sure to notify someone earlier or before the tour so that they'll keep in mind what time it is and your location (since the tour involves multiple buildings which aren't all next to each other.)

Anyone know when Dr.Beckman or Dr. Kahn are available in their offices? I would like to hop on by and have a chat with them about my application. Any advice on talking to them and/or office hours will be much appreciated! Thanks

Anyone know when Dr.Beckman or Dr. Kahn are available in their offices? I would like to hop on by and have a chat with them about my application. Any advice on talking to them and/or office hours will be much appreciated! Thanks

well, you probably should call ahead and make an appointment. I cannot speak for the two of them, of course, but in general busy people do not like to be just dropped in on at work...

Yes! A cab will come in like 5 min and its like 20-30 min to the airport, but more importantly the last thing you do is the tour and it is only with students who are super flexible. I think I cut out of mine like 15 min early and not only was it not a problem, one of the tour guides gave me a cab # to call.

I agree with KTD. Also, since MSY is pretty small, there isn't as long a wait to get through security that you may be used to if you were to go through one of the major airports. Just make sure to notify someone earlier or before the tour so that they'll keep in mind what time it is and your location (since the tour involves multiple buildings which aren't all next to each other.)

Awesome, that's good news! Thanks for the advice guys :)

Dr. Kahn is a practicing hematologist when he's not doing his duties as dean of student affairs. He's a pretty busy guy. Dr. Beckman is a Ph.D. with a lab to run, so she's pretty occupied too. I would strongly consider making an appointment with them via email. Both are accommodating, but I think they would be kinda put off if you just showed up at their door and asked to review your application materials with them.

Anyone know what's the best email to send a pre-interview update? Is it just the regular [email protected] address? The reason I ask is because past experiences using that email address have led me to the conclusion that nobody checks it or, if they do, they don't bother to respond. Thus, I'm hesitant to use it. :(

Last edited:
Anyone know what's the best email to send a pre-interview update? Is it just the regular [email protected] address? The reason I ask is because past experiences using that email address have led me to the conclusion that nobody checks it or, if they do, they don't bother to respond. Thus, I'm hesitant to use it. :(

You could email Dr. Beckman directly. I think its a pretty agreed upon consensus that she is very accommodating and likely to respond. Even if you don't get a response, she will at least be the one who received your letter. Good luck!

You could email Dr. Beckman directly. I think its a pretty agreed upon consensus that she is very accommodating and likely to respond. Even if you don't get a response, she will at least be the one who received your letter. Good luck!

Agreed. Dr. Kahn is pretty good too.

Thought I'd ask here since I was too polite to ask at my interview:

What is the state of Tulane's clinical education as we can expect it for the next 4 years?

Without Charity, we currently have an increase in the number of community clinics and a new hospital as part of a long-term strategic plan (e.g. a plan that won't help us any time soon).

Since we have to share space with LSU, are there enough training opportunities for us in the city?

Great question! I had been thinking about thet same thing... Any current T3s, T4s, or recent grads out there able to fill us in?

FYI - ran into my friend at the airport. He interviewed at Tulane, had a good friend who was going there now recommend him to someone in admissions, and received an acceptance on the spot!

Lucky bastard!

Thought I'd ask here since I was too polite to ask at my interview:

What is the state of Tulane's clinical education as we can expect it for the next 4 years?

Without Charity, we currently have an increase in the number of community clinics and a new hospital as part of a long-term strategic plan (e.g. a plan that won't help us any time soon).

Since we have to share space with LSU, are there enough training opportunities for us in the city?

Yes and no. Your class is going to be about 200 in size, which is about 25 bigger than mine. Tulane has approached this problem in several ways:

1) Start the 3rd year early. As it stands, Tulane is on an accelerated curriculum to get all of their students into their third year faster. The logic is that because space is limited, if you have more time to do your 3rd and 4th year, everything will be OK. That being said, you will start taking 2nd year classes by the end of may of your "1st" year. Also, you will start your clinical rotations in early May (some schools don't start until June, maybe even July).

2) The Baton Rouge program. Tulane has set up a satellite campus in Baton Rouge to help lighten the load. They made it seem like a good deal: 15,000 docked off your tuition, working only with attendings, & Dean Sachs will personally call your residency of choice and write you a letter. The only problem with that program is that it just started... so you're the guinea pig.

Also, the VA will open up a new center in New Orleans around your 4th year. It will be the largest VA in the southeastern U.S. The school is, as some have noted, undergoing a renaissance. The problem is that you and I won't really see it, but we'll definitely feel its effects later in our careers.

I haven't talked to many of the upperclassmen about their rotations, but nothing has filtered down to me. All in all, I still think I'm going to get plenty of opportunities during my 3rd year... or I would've heard about it by now. The good thing about New Orleans for medical training is that there are plenty of sick people around.

Yeah, the Baton Rouge program is just starting (1st year). However, by the time you have to make a decision about it (assuming you come here), 2 previous generations would have gone before you.

2nd years get about 4 weeks for step I. I think that's in the range of what most med schools will give you.

It's been silent around here RE rejections/acceptances post-interview...anyone hear anything lately? I know I shouldn't be getting squirmy cuz I just interviewed a week ago, but I can't help myself, hehe. They seem to send stuff out in batches and it seems like we haven't had a batch lately...

It's been silent around here RE rejections/acceptances post-interview...anyone hear anything lately? I know I shouldn't be getting squirmy cuz I just interviewed a week ago, but I can't help myself, hehe. They seem to send stuff out in batches and it seems like we haven't had a batch lately...

Don't worry too much, Tulane is pretty fast with the acceptances/wait-lists. I believe about 2-3 weeks after your interview you should receive an email. Good luck!

Thanks for the information!

I guess it's all shades of gray, which is what I was expecting. Have you heard any major complaints from classmates about clinical training?

It seems like the Baton Rouge program is interesting, but I guess the deal is too new to have much information on it via Google. I'm sure they'll send literature on it later in the year.

Does the accelerated curriculum take time away from Step 1 prep?

I have a good friend who is a 4th year at Tulane- I stayed with him during my interview and he told me that the clinical training might be the best part about Tulane (although I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the pre-clinical stuff when I visited, the simulation stuff is amazing and the rooms are all brand new and wired with the latest technology). But anyway, back to my point- he says that with so few doctors, and so many patients, you get to do a LOT. he raved about his clinical training and the opportunities to pretty much pursue whatever interests you. I talked to another guy who did a lot of Emergency Medicine stuff in his "free" time and also had great experience.

So yeah, if getting your hands dirty is what interests you, Tulane is a great place (based on my friend's experiences). And FYI- he's had interviews at some of the top residency programs in the country, so I think he'll match well.

Yes and no. Your class is going to be about 200 in size, which is about 25 bigger than mine. Tulane has approached this problem in several ways:

1) Start the 3rd year early. As it stands, Tulane is on an accelerated curriculum to get all of their students into their third year faster. The logic is that because space is limited, if you have more time to do your 3rd and 4th year, everything will be OK. That being said, you will start taking 2nd year classes by the end of may of your "1st" year. Also, you will start your clinical rotations in early May (some schools don't start until June, maybe even July).

2) The Baton Rouge program. Tulane has set up a satellite campus in Baton Rouge to help lighten the load. They made it seem like a good deal: 15,000 docked off your tuition, working only with attendings, & Dean Sachs will personally call your residency of choice and write you a letter. The only problem with that program is that it just started... so you're the guinea pig.

Also, the VA will open up a new center in New Orleans around your 4th year. It will be the largest VA in the southeastern U.S. The school is, as some have noted, undergoing a renaissance. The problem is that you and I won't really see it, but we'll definitely feel its effects later in our careers.

Wow that's great info...thanks for the input. From my interview, the Baton Rouge option sounds great but glad to hear there will already be some feedback before I have to decide. Is the VA the same thing as the University Hospital that is currently being built. I understand that'll be ready in 2012...might that extend training opportunities?

Also has anybody noticed that the NCAA Final Four will be held across the street at the Superdome the days leading up to our Step 1?

ha thanks for that last piece of info. just one more distraction in NOLA.

I've also had the opportunity to talk with some clinical year tulane students; they share the same sentiment claiming the most attractive thing about tulane is its clinical years. I worry that Tulane's hospital is so small but it most not be a problem.

Also has anybody noticed that the NCAA Final Four will be held across the street at the Superdome the days leading up to our Step 1?

yes I heard that! I'm thinking of petitioning the NCAA to reschedule the final four to a more convenient time :) ah, tickets will probably be crazy expensive anyway

yes I heard that! I'm thinking of petitioning the NCAA to reschedule the final four to a more convenient time :) ah, tickets will probably be crazy expensive anyway

Ha I am for it...this should be our first collective action as a class. More power in numbers!

On a sports note, the NFC conference championship is this sunday. We were supposed to have a Biochem Test early monday morning. Clearly seeing the conflict of interest, the school moved the test for us to make sure we could all watch the game.

If you don't know already, the Saints mean a lot to the city. You have never seen a place rally around a team like New Orleans does with the saints. This place shuts down (except for the bars of course). If you aren't a saints fan yet, you will when you get down here.

For the class of 2014, you will also see a superbowl and a college football national championship down here.

Does anyone have the subscription to the US News grad school report thingy? I'm looking for this information:

"US NEWS: 6617 applied, 622 interviewed, 354 were accepted, 159 enrolled"

That's from the Keck thread...someone posted that data, which is different from whats available through the MSAR in that it actually posts the total number of acceptances offered, vs. the actual class size. Tells us a little more about our chances of acceptance. I'm neurotic enough to want that info for Tulane, but not neurotic enough to pay $14 for the subscription. Anyone?

Does anyone have the subscription to the US News grad school report thingy? I'm looking for this information:

"US NEWS: 6617 applied, 622 interviewed, 354 were accepted, 159 enrolled"

That's from the Keck thread...someone posted that data, which is different from whats available through the MSAR in that it actually posts the total number of acceptances offered, vs. the actual class size. Tells us a little more about our chances of acceptance. I'm neurotic enough to want that info for Tulane, but not neurotic enough to pay $14 for the subscription. Anyone?
9024 applied, 535 interviewed, 339 were accepted, 178 enrolled

Ohhh wow....guess what was hiding in my Spam box this morning...........My Tulane SOM acceptance!!! Whooo hooo, I'm gonna be a doctor!

It completely caught me off guard, esp since my neurotic mother had called yesterday and found out that the admissions committee will meet next tuesday!

Ohhh wow....guess what was hiding in my Spam box this morning...........My Tulane SOM acceptance!!! Whooo hooo, I'm gonna be a doctor!

It completely caught me off guard, esp since my neurotic mother had called yesterday and found out that the admissions committee will meet next tuesday!

:laugh: Congrats!

lmao! Sounds like something my mom would do slash has done in undergrad. Congrats!!!

I got in today too!! I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and finally am posting!! I'm pretty sure we interviewed the same day, Ms. Taco. (January 11th??) Which one of the group were you?? I was wearing black glasses and funky earrings. I'm definitely attending Tulane as it's been my top choice. Congratulations!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

yay, Taco! that's some good spam mail

and congratulations to you toky!

I got in today too!! I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and finally am posting!! I'm pretty sure we interviewed the same day, Ms. Taco. (January 11th??) Which one of the group were you?? I was wearing black glasses and funky earrings. I'm definitely attending Tulane as it's been my top choice. Congratulations!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Awesome news to both of you! Congrats!!

Thanks so much to everyone...it feels really good after 6.5 years and 2 application cycles to finally hold an acceptance!

And toky, I definitely remember you, your earings made me happy :). I was the tall one with black hair, without a coat in that freezing weather (apparently lack of common sense is not a factor in med school admissions :p). We had our interviews in the same 2 buildings I think. Congrats to you too!!!

Thanks so much to everyone...it feels really good after 6.5 years and 2 application cycles to finally hold an acceptance!

And toky, I definitely remember you, your earings made me happy :). I was the tall one with black hair, without a coat in that freezing weather (apparently lack of common sense is not a factor in med school admissions :p). We had our interviews in the same 2 buildings I think. Congrats to you too!!!

LOL yes I remember!! And I am also a reapplicant!! Hooray for us!! I haven't been able to stop smiling. :laugh::laugh: Thanks for the congratulations everybody.

Wow, 10 days. That's a quick response. I interviewed this past Friday 1/22.

Hoping for an acceptance. Loved Tulane, I was impressed with the personality of pretty much all of the students I met.

Status
Not open for further replies.