2010-2011 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it! Where do you get these? You keep pulling these factoids out all over. The flowing font of information that is vc7777...

You forgot to call "TOP" Auriga!
Hmmm...Maybe I should just steal it from you? :ninja:
Just this once...

P.S. I used the Interwebs.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do the CCLCM secondary questions change significantly from year to year? It seems like the change last year was fairly minor.

So do the CCLCM secondary questions change significantly from year to year? It seems like the change last year was fairly minor.
As far as I know, the questions aren't changing this year, but I will see if I can find out for sure from the admissions office for you.

Edit: ok, that was fast. Dean Franco said that they will likely be the same. They will be making the final decision about this soon.

As far as I know, the questions aren't changing this year, but I will see if I can find out for sure from the admissions office for you.

Edit: ok, that was fast. Dean Franco said that they will likely be the same. They will be making the final decision about this soon.

You're fantastic! Thanks for the info.

and vc, thanks for the Case factoids!

:roflcopter:You really said that? Hilarious!! That's one of those great interview stories!

It was one of those FML moments in my life. Here's a kitty to commemorate my fail:
admin-albums-funny-cat-pictures-picture5-cute-kitten-l0lz.jpg

Hi applicants! Lesson learned: do not give stupid answers to interviewers! :)

Thanks!:thumbup: I heard that CCLCM doesn't grade its student...is that true??:confused:

Hey,

Also what's your take on living in Cleveland. Is there anything to do outside of class. I have heard bad reviews about the social scene, whats your take?

Thanks

You forgot to call "TOP" Auriga!
Hmmm...Maybe I should just steal it from you? :ninja:
Just this once...
Aww heyyy take it easy on me! I just recently realized (around the time of the 5000 battle) that "top" was every 50 posts :laugh: I really hadn't put much thought into it before then. Now that the fire is lit, tho...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is kinda off-topic but where's Shemarty...too busy to do the school threads?

She made a brief appearance in the UCSF thread. Wow, I need to stop spending so much time on these forums! Gotta get back to that job search.

Hey,

Also what's your take on living in Cleveland. Is there anything to do outside of class. I have heard bad reviews about the social scene, whats your take?

Thanks

Hii~

So I'm actually an incoming student to CCLCM- however, I have a few friends who have attended CCLCM/Case for the past two years. Everyone there really enjoys the social scene and the great food (yay Iron Chefs!) Also- this question gets asked a lot during interview season/second look and everyone that I've talked to really enjoys the area.

However- its not a Boston/NYC/Chicago or any other big city that you know of really. I think its more of a laid back feel :)

I'd probably be able to tell you more once I actually go there (haha)

Hey everyone, I am an incoming first year medical student at the Cleveland Clinic program (College program) at Case Western. I would definitely recommend you guys apply to both the University program (Case Western School of Medicine) and the College program (Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine)--both are amazing. You have to fill out a extra essay about your research and answer some short answer questions on the Case secondary for the Cleveland Clinic program but they aren't too bad and well worth it especially for free tuition/no exams/no grades!

For those who are currently applying, you can read through my blog (link is posted below in my signature) about my personal experiences--classes start in a few weeks so I'll have more blog entries in the upcoming months.

In the meantime, if you ever have any questions feel free to post a comment on my blog or PM me. Good luck! This entire process sucks :laugh:

Last edited:
Wow, this thread is incredibly active for so early in the season.

Anyway, a question for you CCLCM-ers: how's the social life? Do you mostly hang out with people from within the CP, or is there interaction with the UP students as well?

Not the Momma!

Sorry...knee-jerk reaction...

2ugkjg2.jpg

for the record: i only used the dinosaur avatar because my childhood years were based on watching this show with my baby brother..and when i say childhood years i mean my high school years and when i say baby brother i mean my 16 year old brother....its a damn good show ok??

ok ok im going to stop with this baby dinosaur thing..i dont want it to define me for the next 5 years....

Anyway, a question for you CCLCM-ers: how's the social life? Do you mostly hang out with people from within the CP, or is there interaction with the UP students as well?

Hmmm...you will have to wait for a reply from CCLCMer. She is the only current student at CCLCM. The rest of us are all the incoming class (starting in 15 days).

:D My friends at CCLCM and Case both say that the relation between the two schools is really good. I don't think its something to worry about and it seems like there's no animosity between the two schools :)

Of course I have to disclaimer this because I'm not there yet~ but! I personally have friends already in UP/CCLCM and I hope to get to know everyone from UP :DD

Hey,

Thanks

While I am not yet in the CWRU/CCLMC med, as an undergrad and grad student in Cleveland, I have to say Cleveland isn't as bad as people let on.

I'll name a few so you can mention it in your interviews (for why you won't die of lack of socialness while in Cleveland)--
You got:
-The Winking Lizard
- The Melt (now opened on Cedar and Lee and worth the 2+ hour wait)
- University Circle! (awesome art museum! botanical garden, ect)
- House of Blues and E. 4th
- Coventry (plus hipster music club)
- West 6th... it's where all the dbags go.

Which reminds me, this is why I love Cleveland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY with the second one being even better. :laugh:

Last edited:
While I am not yet in the CWRU/CCLMC med, as an undergrad and grad student in Cleveland, I have to say Cleveland isn't as bad as people let on.

I'll name a few so you can mention it in your interviews (for why you want die of lack of socialness while in Cleveland)--
You got:
-The Winking Lizard
- The Melt (now opened on Cedar and Lee and worth the 2+ hour wait)
- University Circle! (awesome art museum! botanical garden, ect)
- House of Blues and E. 4th
- Coventry (plus hipster music club)
- West 6th... it's where all the dbags go.

Which reminds me, this is why I love Cleveland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY with the second one being even better. :laugh:

The Grog Shop = my #1 reason for matriculating to Case :laugh:

Or the fact that housing is amazing and dirt cheap? That sealed it for me. Also, it is warmer in Cleveland than it is here in Southern California now. As my dad put it, a lot of people spend their entire life out in Ohio so it can't be the worst.

case is awesome, by the way :D

here's hoping it doesn't rain when I visit

Hey everyone, I am an incoming first year medical student at the Cleveland Clinic program (College program) at Case Western. I would definitely recommend you guys apply to both the University program (Case Western School of Medicine) and the College program (Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine)--both are amazing. You have to fill out a extra essay about your research and answer some short answer questions on the Case secondary for the Cleveland Clinic program but they aren't too bad and well worth it especially for free tuition/no exams/no grades!

For those who are currently applying, you can read through my blog (link is posted below in my signature) about my personal experiences--classes start in a few weeks so I'll have more blog entries in the upcoming months.

In the meantime, if you ever have any questions feel free to post a comment on my blog or PM me. Good luck! This entire process sucks :laugh:

Help me out here! Why are there two different programs for Case Western? How are the University program and College program different?

Also, I can't figure out how to apply to the College program - on my AMCAS app, I have submitted to Case Western School of Medicine, but I have no idea how to also add CCLCM :rolleyes:

from what i've heard from case, the secondary is where you specify interest in UP/CCLCM/etc..

have no fear!

Help me out here! Why are there two different programs for Case Western? How are the University program and College program different?

Also, I can't figure out how to apply to the College program - on my AMCAS app, I have submitted to Case Western School of Medicine, but I have no idea how to also add CCLCM

Yeah you just list Case Western School of Medicine on your primary. You will then receive an online secondary application from Case which will have a section to apply to the Cleveland Clinic program. For the Cleveland Clinic program you have to write an essay about your research experiences (or any scholarly work), and a few short-answer questions about teamwork, weaknesses and dealing with conflict (
I think? I forgot the exact questions but they just require a few sentences each). The admissions committees are totally separate but you can apply to both Case Western (University Program) and Cleveland Clinic (College Program) using the Case Western secondary. Since they're separate admissions committees with separate criteria, here are the possible scenarios for candidates once they submit the Case Western secondary, assuming applicants applied to both programs:

• Rejected either pre-interview or post-interview by Cleveland Clinic (College Program) but accepted by Case Western (University Program)
  • Rejected either pre-interview or post-interview by Case Western (University Program) but accepted to Cleveland Clinic (College Program)
  • Accepted at both programs
  • Rejected either pre-interview or post-interview from both programs

You can read more about each program at their respective websites:
Cleveland Clinic (College Program): http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (University Program): http://casemed.case.edu/

I just wrote a blog entry about the Cleveland Clinic program and have included it below (current students please feel free to make any corrections or add your own perspective since I am an incoming student):

The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CCLCM) (also known as the College Program) at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (also known as the University program) is a unique five-year program with the goal of training physician investigators. The mission of the college is "to educate a limited number of highly qualified persons who seek to become physician investigators and scientists committed to the advanced of biomedical research and clinical practice." The Cleveland Clinic program offers:

• Free tuition for all five years with an option of getting a Masters degree for free within those 5 years (MPH, MBA, Masters in Bioethics, Masters in Applied Anatomy, Masters in Biomedical Engineering, or Masters in Biomedical Sciences, etc). Many students are able to secure funding to receive a stipend for living expenses for the research year in the 5th year. Upon graduation, students graduate with a "MD with Special Qualification in Biomedical Research" or a MD/MS joint degree--all degrees are issued by Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Other free perks for Cleveland Clinic medical students include a free laptop, free parking, etc.
  • Relatively low stress, non-competitive environment: No comprehensive exams, no grades, Thursdays are off for the first 2 years. Classes are M-W and Friday from 8 am-noon, the rest of the day students can do research, get clinical exposure and/or study.
  • Innovative and unique medical curriculum that is student-centered and case-based. The program provides a "graduate education in medicine" with a heavy focus on PBL classes and small group case-based seminars as opposed to traditional lectures. Instead of being issued letter grades, students use feedback from classmates and faculty to determine their strengths and weaknesses that need improvement.
  • Highly competitive program--only 32 spots (nearly 2,000 people apply and this number is increasing every year). Small class-size offers individual attention with each student being provided a physician advisor and a research mentor for all five years but since the program is associated with a university, students won't be limited by a small class size (there are other medical, dental, law, nursing, public health, business graduate and undergraduate students present on the university campus at Case Western Reserve University). There are 1,500 faculty for 32 students per year.
  • Associated with the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic, whose guiding principle is "patients first." Out of 4,861 hospitals in the United States, Cleveland Clinic is ranked 4th overall in the nation by US News immediately ahead of Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard). It has been ranked number 1 in Heart & Heart Surgery since 1995, and out of 16 specialties Cleveland Clinic has 13 specialties (Digestive Disorders, Rheumatology, Urology, Orthopedics, Pediatric Neurology & Neurosurgery, Respiratory Disorders, Diabetes & Endocrine Disorders, Gynecology, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Ear, Nose & Throat, & Geriatric Care) ranking in the top 10 and the rest in top 15. Cleveland Clinic has/will be opening up hospitals in Florida, Toronto & Abu Dhabi. Many famous people come to the Cleveland Clinic for care including kings and monarchs from the Middle East, Presidents and Prime Ministers from all over the world, sports figures like Lebron James, and celebrities like Robin Williams and Oprah Winfrey, just to name a few. Many of the leaders and experts in their respective fields are working at Cleveland Clinic-- students may be trained under notable experts. Cleveland Clinic is one of the largest residency and fellowship training programs in the US so there are great opportunities to make connections and network.
  • Cleveland Clinic is currently under Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, a top-20 medical school. Students at Cleveland Clinic get to share the immense resources of both the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, including other teaching hospitals such as Case University Hospitals (including Rainbow Babies & Children Hospital, MacDonald Women's Hospital, & Ireland Cancer Center), and for the more urban medical cases: MetroHospital, and the Veteran Affairs Medical Center.
  • Five-year course of study that requires a research thesis with the last 3 years being customizable to allow students to pursue their own interests in research, clinical specialties, and career goals (i.e. students can do their research year either in 3rd year, 4th year or 5th year). Research is important to get into competitive residencies, such as Dermatology, Radiation Oncology, Neurological Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT aka Otolaryngology), etc. at the top residency programs. Research is integrated into the curriculum during the summers in the first two years. The first summer is for basic/translational research and summer in the second year is for clinical research. An entire year is spent doing research (basic or clinical) to write a thesis. This research can be done at Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute ranks among the top independent research institutes in the nation for NIH funding), Case Western (ranks among the top-tier in NIH funding), at the National Institute of Health (NIH) or through other nationally-recognized research fellowships.
  • Students are treated like professionals from day 1. Students at Cleveland Clinic are issued long white coats so that there is no differentiation between doctors and medical students (almost all other medical schools, even Case Western, provide medical students with a short white coat to differentiate students from medical doctors).
  • A basic science curriculum for first 2 years that is organ-system based in the context of clinical cases to help students not only prepare for USMLE but also start thinking like a doctor.
  • Clinical experience starts early with students being assigned a primary care physician as a longitudinal preceptor for first 2 years. First year students have to go to the clinic once every 2 weeks and in the second year students go to the clinic every week. Students have seen hundreds of cases before they even start their clinical rotations their 3rd year. Students enter residency with outstanding clinical skills.
  • Impressive residency match list: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/match_2010.html. Graduates from Cleveland Clinic have been accepted to residencies at Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard), Beth Israel (Harvard), Emory, Stanford, UPenn, University of Chicago, Baylor, UCSF, Yale, Brown, Wash U, Duke, Michigan, Vanderbilt, UNC, UT-Southwestern, and University of Pittsburgh, etc in some of the most competitive specialties: Dermatology, Radiation Oncology, Neurological Surgery, Otolaryngology, and Vascular Surgery.

Last edited:

Yeah you just list Case Western School of Medicine on your primary. You will then receive an online secondary application from Case which will have a section to apply to the Cleveland Clinic program.

Question: I see that Cleveland clinic is only interested in students with previous research experience. Does that mean if we only have a very little formal research experience and some informal research experience, that we might as well kiss this possibility goodbye, no matter how high we might score academically?

:hello: Hey Ed, I'm glad that you found our thread. We've been expecting you...:ninja:

EdLongshanks in the Mayo Thread yesterday said:
...I'm glad to hear about this option as something that might be a possibility if we cannot get into the Mayo program, I was suggesting a thread on the subject so that further discussion could be done without hijacking this thread. I'm not saying that this poster hijacked it...

I'm not one to highjack the Mayo thread either. I WILL give you a little grief about suggesting that my CCLCM is a backup to Mayo :smuggrin:.

In short, CCLCM is a very different program - I will let others compare/contrast the two programs.

Question: I see that Cleveland clinic is only interested in students with previous research experience. Does that mean if we only have a very little formal research experience and some informal research experience, that we might as well kiss this possibility goodbye, no matter how high we might score academically?

Ed, you need to have a background in research and have to have demonstrable, directed, intellectual curiosity. I, for instance, do NOT have a "formal" academic background in research. My research and intellectual pursuits have been in private industry (As you know from my frequent postings in the nontrad forum, I am switching careers after over a decade in engineering).

I can not stress enough that you have to enjoy research, though. CCLCM's mission is to produce "Physician Investigators" - and that is not just window dressing. If you have a passion for learning and enjoy research - either formal or informal - I would suggest you apply.

EDIT: Especially if you plan on applying to Case anyway. It's a two-for-one-no-brainer-deal: There is no additional fees to apply to CCLCM. The secondary is combined between the two programs (and COMPLETELY independent admissions processes afterwards).

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

Good luck this cycle! I'm an undergrad currently here, so let me know if you have any questions that you havent had answered already! Btw, the surrounding campus gets boring :( or perhaps thats just because im underage :D

In terms of similarities, both incorporate a fairly strong PBL component, have quite a collaborative atmosphere, and have some amount of time dedicated to research (4 months for the UP, 1 year + 2 summers for CCLCM), and a thesis is required at both programs. Also, being Case Western programs, they are both in Cleveland, have the same teaching hospitals, and share student groups.

In terms of differences, CCLCM is much smaller, it takes an extra year, it has its classes separately at CCF, it has an explicit aim of training physicians that will also do research throughout their career, and it uses portfolios instead of actual grading (though the UP is P/F the first two). Also, it has better financial aid. :D

Also, I can't figure out how to apply to the College program - on my AMCAS app, I have submitted to Case Western School of Medicine, but I have no idea how to also add CCLCM :rolleyes:

from what i've heard from case, the secondary is where you specify interest in UP/CCLCM/etc..

have no fear!

Yup, this is true. Which means it doesn't cost any extra money to apply. :)

I'm not one to highjack the Mayo thread either. I WILL give you a little grief about suggesting that my CCLCM is a backup to Mayo :smuggrin:.

I would go to CCLCM over Mayo myself, actually. :luck: If nothing else, the weather in Cleveland is better! (amazing, right)

I would go to CCLCM over Mayo myself, actually. :luck: If nothing else, the weather in Cleveland is better! (amazing, right)

I was just talking to someone about Mayo, and she was telling me that she developed pain in her joints from living there. I'm glad to hear the weather at Case is better! :laugh:

False. It is possible to live year-round without ever getting rained, snowed, wind-ed upon through climate-controlled walkways that connect most of downtown Rochester. :D

And just so everyone knows, my loyalties lie with CC and Case. :p

I would go to CCLCM over Mayo myself, actually. :luck:

:thumbup:

False. It is possible to live year-round without ever getting rained, snowed, wind-ed upon through climate-controlled walkways that connect most of downtown Rochester. :D

And just so everyone knows, my loyalties lie with CC and Case. :p

haha yeah true...winters in both Cleveland and Rochester suck but the Mid-west temperatures drop below zero much more than Cleveland. It was -10 degrees not including windchill with snow on the ground when I interviewed at Mayo a week after my Cleveland Clinic interview--I tried but its impossible to walk outside for more than a few minutes which is why those walkways and underground tunnels are needed in Rochester lol. Cleveland snow is no fun though either. While both cities have their weaknesses, I personally preferred Cleveland to Rochester. Cleveland is definitely a more urban area while Rochester is a smaller, remote area with a better economy (because its comprised of only Mayo and IBM employees :p).

I wish Cleveland Clinic would add this to the list of free perks they give us:
http://www.orbitmfg.com/htm/heated-driveways-and-sidewalks.html

My fault for posting on the Mayo thread, my intention wasn't to cause this to become a Cleveland Clinic vs. Mayo Clinic discussion, so for current applicants, you can check out my blog to find out more about the medical school programs at Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic. I got accepted into both and collected extensive information on both programs before I made my final decision so if anyone has any specific questions feel free to contact me. As mentioned, while the two hospitals are quite similar, the medical school programs are drastically different. CCLCM really emphasizes basic science/translational/clinical research and PBL..

Last edited:

Welcome to our Case UP/CCLCM par-tay. :hello:

It's highly student-dependent. I have several UP friends, and especially starting with my third year, I hung out quite a bit with some of the UP students I was rotating with. A lot of them just graduated, of course, but there are still a few cool noobs like Myuu that I deign to faceplant with. (Actually, she does the faceplanting, which means that she plants her face into the ice when she goes skating. Literally. :()

I'm not sure what you mean by formal versus informal research experience. But from what you've posted in your mdapps, you don't sound like you'd be the right kind of student for CCLCM. The people who matriculate at CCLCM have the same depth of research background that MD/PhD applicants have. That means 1+ years of research, generally in the natural sciences, applied sciences, clinical sciences, or sometimes in social sciences (economics, psychology, medical ethics, etc.). But with the cool ECs you have, you sound like you might be a great fit for the UP, so I hope you'll apply for that program. There are a lot of people at Case with non-traditional backgrounds. :thumbup:

I also want to make it clear that CCLCM does NOT select people mainly based on stats. Obviously, if you apply here with a 15 MCAT and a 1.5 GPA, your odds aren't going to be very good. But an MCAT in the high 20s won't necessarily keep you out, and an MCAT in the 40s won't necessarily get you in. Also, since there are a lot of non-traditionals at CCLCM just like there are at Case in general, there are plenty of older students like vc7777 who have relatively low overall GPAs but good post-bacc GPAs. So a low overall GPA isn't necessarily the kiss of death either.

Basically, the CCLCM adcomm cares a lot about fit, and it's especially important in this context because the classes are so small and the program is so interactive. Therefore, I would encourage people with average stats who think the program would be a good fit to apply here. I would also DIScourage people who have high stats but who lack the research and/or other significant ECs the adcomm is looking for from applying here. By other significant ECs, I'm talking about things like clinical experience, volunteering, work history, etc.

Glad to see this thread is active. Can't say i'm surprised!

Warning: If you interview at Case -plan on being very distracted with dreams of the school for at least the following month...

Good luck! Feel free to PM me (incoming UP M1) if you want :thumbup:

Hey,

Thanks

Not true. Cleveland is awesome.

The Spring 2010 issue of Bioethics Reflections, a newletter from the Cleveland Clinic Department of Bioethics, is available in hardcopy now (hopefully will be available at the Bioethics Reflections Newsletter website soon).

In this issue, Dr. Carmen Paradis describes how the Research Ethics Consultation Program provides guidance to active researchers at the Cleveland Clinic - one of the few programs of this kind in the country.

Also, Martin Kohn, PhD, Director of Medical Humanities, talks about the importance of literature, history, philosophy, religion, and art history to understanding the 'bigger picture' of medicine. He also briefly discusses how he is working to include medical humanities into the bioethics curriculum of CCLCM.

I highly recommend anyone on the interview trail to check out past issues of the newsletter as well. The publication is well produced, the articles are easy to read, and the topics they cover are very relevant. Its a good launchpad for those is interested in hot topics of ethics in medicine.

The Spring 2010 issue of Bioethics Reflections, a newletter from the Cleveland Clinic Department of Bioethics, is available in hardcopy now (hopefully will be available at the Bioethics Reflections Newsletter website soon).

In this issue, Dr. Carmen Paradis describes how the Research Ethics Consultation Program provides guidance to active researchers at the Cleveland Clinic - one of the few programs of this kind in the country.

Also, Martin Kohn, PhD, Director of Medical Humanities, talks about the importance of literature, history, philosophy, religion, and art history to understanding the 'bigger picture' of medicine. He also briefly discusses how he is working to include medical humanities into the bioethics curriculum of CCLCM.

I highly recommend anyone on the interview trail to check out past issues of the newsletter as well. The publication is well produced, the articles are easy to read, and the topics they cover are very relevant. Its a good launchpad for those is interested in hot topics of ethics in medicine.

That's really awesome! Thanks for posting =)

I have a question... I know CCLCM is "full tuition paid" for student who go there. Is that kinda like Cali where tuition is paid but there's another 30 grand in fees, or you still need really significant fin aid for some reason or another (is it just living expenses?) The CCLCM FinAid page confused me a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.