2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know whether you are small pooled? What site do you go to to find out? I can only get back to the secondary and no way to find a "status". Sorry if this has been asked before, thanks for the help.

There is not a site. You go under review, and then are small pooled by EMAIL ONLY.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know whether you are small pooled? What site do you go to to find out? I can only get back to the secondary and no way to find a "status". Sorry if this has been asked before, thanks for the help.

They don't have a status website for applicants. They e-mail you as you progress through the steps of their application process (aka when you're complete, under review, small pooled, offered an interview). Hope that clears it up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply, What does the "small pool" email look like? just curious

Dear Applicant,

Your file is complete and has passed a primary screening. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with CMS. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process.

CMS is interviewing from September- April, with invitations being sent out via email. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

CMS Admissions

Thanks for your reply, What does the "small pool" email look like? just curious

This is pretty much what a "small pool" email. The email basically says that the admission committee has reviewed your application and has put you in a pool of applicants that may or may not receive in interview. The interview is from September upto May.

Pretty much this is what the process is like for this school. Once you give your secondary, you get an email to say you are complete. The next email you would get would state that your application has entered primary screening. After that , you could either get an email of either being "Small pooled", or maybe an interview invitation, or possibly a rejection email. Typically most people get a small pool email after the primary screening, and then an interview. They usually notify you through email if you are small pooled or get an interview. Best wishes, and I think most applicants should hear something from them in a week or two. I think it has been a while since they sent out interviews. My guess is that they review applications in groups and then send emails out on a particular day whether it may to mark complete, screening, small pool, interviews... etc. Hope we all could hear something good! :)

Dear Applicant,

Your file is complete and has passed a primary screening. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with CMS. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process.

CMS is interviewing from September- April, with invitations being sent out via email. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

CMS Admissions

Ok thank you , it make sense now. I did receive that letter on AUGUST 12TH, anyone small pooled around that time OOS get an interview yet?

This is pretty much what a "small pool" email. The email basically says that the admission committee has reviewed your application and has put you in a pool of applicants that may or may not receive in interview. The interview is from September upto May.

Pretty much this is what the process is like for this school. Once you give your secondary, you get an email to say you are complete. The next email you would get would state that your application has entered primary screening. After that , you could either get an email of either being "Small pooled", or maybe an interview invitation, or possibly a rejection email. Typically most people get a small pool email after the primary screening, and then an interview. They usually notify you through email if you are small pooled or get an interview. Best wishes, and I think most applicants should hear something from them in a week or two. I think it has been a while since they sent out interviews. My guess is that they review applications in groups and then send emails out on a particular day whether it may to mark complete, screening, small pool, interviews... etc. Hope we all could hear something good! :)

:thumbup:

Ok thank you , it make sense now. I did receive that letter on AUGUST 12TH, anyone small pooled around that time OOS get an interview yet?

Be sure to check some of the earlier posts in this thread. I think there have been students who were small pooled around that time and were OOS who got an interview. As the small pool email states you pretty much may get an interview from now until May. I think the interview has already started and I was wondering has there been any recent interview invites sent out?

Just got rejected. I guess I'm a little happy, since this school is crappy from what I hear.

I realize that this is a very late reply, (and technically I am trying to cut myself off from student doc so I do not become overly neurotic), but I think it might be good to recant this statement. I know rejections suck, but disrespecting an entire school is probably not the best way to blow off steam. I know one doctor that went to this school, and he is doing very well.

I'm sounding a bit didactic, so I am going to cut myself short, but I feel we should try to be as positive as we can about this process, and I would really appreciate it if I did not see anymore messages like this. Best of luck to you.

so what's the consensus about a pre-interview invite update letter to help with the II process? also is having a manuscript returned for revisions and then resubmitted for final review (for publication) considered a big enough update? how about if i'm also writing two abstracts for submission to a conference? thanks! i'm just trying to gauge what i should put in these update letters.

so what's the consensus about a pre-interview invite update letter to help with the II process? also is having a manuscript returned for revisions and then resubmitted for final review (for publication) considered a big enough update? how about if i'm also writing two abstracts for submission to a conference? thanks! i'm just trying to gauge what i should put in these update letters.

That's a good question, and I would first contact the admissions office to see if they accept update letters before interviews. I have heard that they accept update letters from applicants after they interview.

I realize that this is a very late reply, (and technically I am trying to cut myself off from student doc so I do not become overly neurotic), but I think it might be good to recant this statement. I know rejections suck, but disrespecting an entire school is probably not the best way to blow off steam. I know one doctor that went to this school, and he is doing very well.

I'm sounding a bit didactic, so I am going to cut myself short, but I feel we should try to be as positive as we can about this process, and I would really appreciate it if I did not see anymore messages like this. Best of luck to you.
It is a good point to bring up, and I think that this school is pretty good. I know rejections are not the best feelings, but it should help us to work harder so that next time it would be a better case for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay!!! small pooled today!!
Complete 8/7
Entered primary screening 8/14

entered screening 8/2

it's been more than 6 weeks now and not pooled or rejected yet...

maybe they forgot about me? haha

entered screening 8/2

it's been more than 6 weeks now and not pooled or rejected yet...

maybe they forgot about me? haha

I am in the same position as you, entered screening on 8/6

It is a good point to bring up, and I think that this school is pretty good. I know rejections are not the best feelings, but it should help us to work harder so that next time it would be a better case for us.

+1 :thumbup: Lets be Civil People.

Hi, Im IS but many of the applicants who interviewed with me were OOS. All over too.

anyone know if they accept update letters?

anyone know if they accept update letters?

They don't accept updates until you are invited to interview. I attempted to send one and got the following message:

Thank you for the information, but unfortunately The Chicago Medical School is unable to accept any additional information until after an applicant has been asked to interview with us. If you do get offered an interview at our school, please feel free to contact us at that time to inquire about submitting additional information.

I hope this helps!

They don't accept updates until you are invited to interview. I attempted to send one and got the following message:

Thank you for the information, but unfortunately The Chicago Medical School is unable to accept any additional information until after an applicant has been asked to interview with us. If you do get offered an interview at our school, please feel free to contact us at that time to inquire about submitting additional information.

I hope this helps!

thank you!
that seems to be the general consensus amongst the schools I have applied to. It's really too bad because these update grades make a significant impact on my sGPA.

Hi guys,
So sigh -__-, i made a spelling error on my secondary application...I spelled intern as itern
Should I send an email or just ignore it? The sentence that this spelling error is in will allow the reader to infer that I meant intern instead of itern...
But yea...how bad is this?...

Hi guys,
So sigh -__-, i made a spelling error on my secondary application...I spelled intern as itern
Should I send an email or just ignore it? The sentence that this spelling error is in will allow the reader to infer that I meant intern instead of itern...

I think they can infer, and some people will read over it without realizing. I don't think it is a deal breaker. Spelling errors are never a good thing, but as long as you are a strong applicant, they realize that everyone is human. Even if you use peer reviewers for every application, some errors are going to sneak by. I do not recommend drawing their attention to the spelling error. If you leave it alone, they will probably forget. If you show it to them, it might become more of an issue.

Hope this helps :)

Hi guys,

You'll be okay. For one school I had a typo in the school name and I still got an interview.

thanks alot...

Seriously, don't worry about it.
I found a spelling error in my primary app, and I am still getting interviews. I would have preferred to not have made these errors (or not have found them months later lol), but what's done is done. Just chill and ride it out.

Seriously, don't worry about it.
I found a spelling error in my primary app, and I am still getting interviews. I would have preferred to not have made these errors (or not have found them months later lol), but what's done is done. Just chill and ride it out.

The same thing happened to me about a month after I submitted my primary. Whoops! At least it was in my activities and not in my personal statement.

I guess i wouldnt be going to Rosalind Franklin. Good luck to the rest of you.

I guess i wouldnt be going to Rosalind Franklin. Good luck to the rest of you.

Did you get a status update?

Did you get pooled?

Sorry if they rejected you. Good :luck: to your other schools!

Did you get a status update?

Did you get pooled?

Sorry if they rejected you. Good :luck: to your other schools!

Complete: August 22nd
Pooled: September 13th
Rejected: September 30th

Well, I hope you hear different :)

Thanks!

I just called admissions (the lady who picked up was VERY NICE) and she said that people who are pooled may have to wait until :eek: APRIL :eek: to hear for interviews.
VIA EMAIL ONLY

This is gonna be a long ride. I would suggest just waiting it out and viewing other threads until you get an email!

Good luck everyone!

If you are small pooled, how are they about in the area emails?

Small pooled and then rejected!? That's a little cruel. Good luck with the other schools!

Small pooled this morning. Entered screening Sep. 13th. Glad I could join the party.

Small pooled today, as well. Complete 8/21, entered primary screening 9/13. It's been weeks since I've heard anything from any school, so this came as welcome news.

DNAdude120 and Kzoo Kid, would you mind posting or PMing me your GPA/MCAT? I also entered primary screening on 9/13! I'm nervous! :) thank you

DNAdude120 and Kzoo Kid, would you mind posting or PMing me your GPA/MCAT? I also entered primary screening on 9/13! I'm nervous! :) thank you

Nothing special. GPA and MCAT are pretty average. Nontrad working on a masters. Best of luck:luck:

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone OOS w/ <30 MCAT has received an II?

Hi,

This is a school that I really am looking into but still have not submitted my primary application! Is there any shot here ?

Canadian, 3.76 GPA, 31Q (12PS, 8Vr, 11BS), solid EC's with lots of leadership

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

This is a school that I really am looking into but still have not submitted my primary application! Is there any shot here ?

Canadian, 3.76 GPA, 31Q (12PS, 8Vr, 11BS), solid EC's with lots of leadership

Any help is appreciated.

I think you got some pretty good stats and you have a good shot at this school. :thumbup:

Long time lurker, I originally wasn't going to post until I have heard from the school since I am a late applicant, BUT I felt the need to throw this out there. After reading this post in its entirety, a few have mentioned others saying this school is bad, yadda yadda,etc.

I hope I can contribute to this false information, based on the faculty I've interacted with here at UCSD. Both graduated from Chicago Med and are highly successful. I agree with a previous poster - your career is what you make of it, as is your education. Information on the 2 physicians below:

1) Gynecologic Oncologist
Several distinguished teaching awards
Several grants for research
Nominated on the top doctors list
And the list goes on....he is actually my thesis advisor. I work with him personally and think he is a person of great character.

2) Allergist
Several grants for research
Recently published in Nature, as well as many other pubs
A jolly & wonderful guy - he is a colleague in my previous lab
This man's story is inspirational. He screwed up in undergrad and made a turn around for his career.

From these two interactions, I am already impressed with RFU and hope that I will receive an interview here. What matters most to me is the character they've become and both are equally inspiring.

So I hope that lifts some of your worries about this school's reputation, and I wish you all a successful cycle.

So much silence, its unnerving. Last year it looks like they sent out invites in large batches. Hopefully the next one will be soon? Anyone well connected?!

So much silence, its unnerving. Last year it looks like they sent out invites in large batches. Hopefully the next one will be soon? Anyone well connected?!

Just a guess here, but I think they may send interview invites in this week or the next. It has been a while since they send out anything and I think maybe next week, it will be close to a month since they send out the last invites. I think in this next batch of mails, they will probably give out acceptances, waitlists, or rejections to the applicants that have interviewed. The rest of us could expect interview invites, small pools, or possibly rejections.... best wishes to you all and hope we all hear something well. it is a long process, but hopefully one that ends well for us.

I think you got some pretty good stats and you have a good shot at this school. :thumbup:

Thanks for the response! My sister lived in chicago and I loved the city! Do you or anyone else recommend any other schools that I may have a shot at in Chicago or elsewhere? I posted in the "what are my chances" thread but didn't receive a response lol

Status
Not open for further replies.