2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations!! Did you get an email, or just a status update on the webpage? (mine is unchanged. . . )
It's a status page change. No e-mail yet...

Members don't see this ad.

no status page change. feel really crushed. this was my top choice. *sighs*

Members don't see this ad :)
Is no response just waitlist or rejection, then?

Is no response just waitlist or rejection, then?

Not necessarily. All applications are under active consideration each time they accept people. So you might hear in a month or two. However, the only decisions the MD program gives post-interview are acceptances for now. Post-interview rejections start in January and the waitlist is made in March.

Congrats to all those accepted. I hope you give washu real consideration because it's a pretty awesome place to go to school. :)

Last edited:
it doesn't mean that but it sure increases the likelihood of a waitlist or rejection. :( i interviewed oct. 26th btw....i hope they just didn't get to my file. but who knows. *sighs*

Last edited:
Not necessarily. All applications are under active consideration each time they accept people. So you might hear in a month or two. However, the only decisions the MD program givrs post-interview are acceptances for now. Post-interview rejections start in January and the waitlist is made in March.

Congrats to all those accepted. I hope you give washu real consideration because it's a pretty awesome place to go to school. :)

I interviewed the very first day, so that's probably an upcoming rejection. :( Ah well.

Ksmi, do you know if all interviewees receive a decision today? Or is it just the early dates? I interviewed in mid-October, but my school's dean's certification didn't arrive till the end of the first week of November, so my file could have been reviewed then at the earliest. I'm hoping that's why there's no update :(

Ksmi, do you know if all interviewees receive a decision today? Or is it just the early dates? I interviewed in mid-October, but my school's dean's certification didn't arrive till the end of the first week of November, so my file could have been reviewed then at the earliest. I'm hoping that's why there's no update :(

NOT all interviewees will receive an acceptance today. As has been mentioned many times before, applications are under consideration through the entire season. Keep in mind, they've been interviewing since the beginning of Oct and just released the first acceptances now, so it makes sense that they haven't looked through all the applications yet. It's okay. Don't start freaking out yet. And even if you get waitlisted in the spring - a lot of people get accepted off the waitlist.

For those who have been accepted, congratulations! Wash U is an absolutely amazing med school and I am so proud/happy to be a student here. You should really keep us high up on your list. The students are treated very well and lots of opportunities are open to you by being here.

For those who haven't yet been accepted, don't fret. Please refer to the first paragraph. There's still hope, and even the waitlist sees pretty good movement. :luck:

congrats to all those accepted!!! if you guys don't mind, can you guys tell us when you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe i know there's still hope and i shouldn't start fretting now. i just can't help feeling incredibly unhappy though.. i think i've been way too overconfident lately. i must have dreamed of logging into my account and seeing an acceptance hungreds of times today. i was so anxious it was hard to concentrate on anything else. :(

sorry guys, just ranting. *sighssss* hoping for some good news in december.

Oh wait noooo... I'm getting an error page. Should've checked earlier.

Congrats, everyone! You guys are awesome. :thumbup:

congrats. we've gotten into a lot of the same schools, so hopefully i hear back in the next batch!

Thanks. It certainly looks like we've been accepted to a lot of the same places. Good luck my friend I'm rooting for you :luck:

Congrats to the people who got accepted!

My status is still unchanged...sigh...as expected :(

I interviewed here on Wednesday and LOVED it! Here's hoping I hear back soon... and good luck to those who are also waiting! :luck:

I got a handwritten note from my faculty interviewer today. He was such a nice guy, and it's really cool that he took the time to do that. Go WashU! :laugh:

I got a handwritten note from my faculty interviewer today. He was such a nice guy, and it's really cool that he took the time to do that. Go WashU! :laugh:

I felt I connected really well with both of my interviewers at WashU. For those of you who have interviews coming up don't worry too much about it. Both interviews for me were very relaxed and conversational. No weird or difficult questions were asked. It's very much a get to know you sort of thing. WashU is great!

So for the pizza party... it's a casual thing right (i.e. dress casually)? Also, does not going to the breakfast thing on the day of the interview affect your decisions?

So for the pizza party... it's a casual thing right (i.e. dress casually)? Also, does not going to the breakfast thing on the day of the interview affect your decisions?

A) 100% casual, wear whatever you want - you'll only be meeting students who have absolutely nothing to do with the decision process

B) absolutely not. again, just another "meet the students" type deal that is there for you only. although missing awesome free food is sad :'(

The pizza party was casual and the students don't have any say in your admission decision. I didn't go to the breakfast in the morning and things worked out just fine.

i am thinking back to my interview....and I really went overboard when describing my research. I think i went on for a long time (it felt like five min or more) and the interviewer was just nodding mindlessly and seemed eager to move on at the end. he didn't ask any questions but he did say that I seem very passionate about research at the end. but i felt like i didn't engage him and just sort of bored him. how bad is this?

forgive me. i'm suffering from a sudden case of nerves ^^"

I wouldn't worry about it. If he said you seemed passionate than you probably left a positive impression. Can't change it now anyways so no use thinking about it :)

Secondary submitted oct 29
Complete nov 5
Interview invite nov 30

:oops:

i am thinking back to my interview....and I really went overboard when describing my research. I think i went on for a long time (it felt like five min or more) and the interviewer was just nodding mindlessly and seemed eager to move on at the end. he didn't ask any questions but he did say that I seem very passionate about research at the end. but i felt like i didn't engage him and just sort of bored him. how bad is this?

forgive me. i'm suffering from a sudden case of nerves ^^"

I know it's hard not to do, but don't kick yourself over something you wish you did or did not do during an interview. Thinking back now, I was always sure I could have done better in every interview by either adding or subtracting something. I'm sure everyone could.

Rejected today. I was surprised to get the email at 7 PM on a Friday. It was a bit disappointing, but then again I wasn't sure what to expect. On one hand, I applied really late (Added Wash U to my list of schools way after every other school). On the other hand, the reason I applied at all was because they were peppering me with letters, so I thought they were interested. Oh well :). Good luck to anyone waiting to for a decision!

Rejected today. I was surprised to get the email at 7 PM on a Friday. It was a bit disappointing, but then again I wasn't sure what to expect. On one hand, I applied really late (Added Wash U to my list of schools way after every other school). On the other hand, the reason I applied at all was because they were peppering me with letters, so I thought they were interested. Oh well :). Good luck to anyone waiting to for a decision!

Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

I submitted my AMCAS on 10/14 (Yeah I know; I didn't realize I wanted to go to medical school until July). I think I might have been wrong about adding WUSTL late to my application; I can't find an update record for it in my email. I did get a bunch of mail from them though. My secondary was complete on 11/23. Also, it may make a difference to you that I applied for MSTP rather than MD.

I submitted my AMCAS on 10/14 (Yeah I know; I didn't realize I wanted to go to medical school until July). I think I might have been wrong about adding WUSTL late to my application; I can't find an update record for it in my email. I did get a bunch of mail from them though. My secondary was complete on 11/23. Also, it may make a difference to you that I applied for MSTP rather than MD.

That was very helpful. Thank you! I have been complete since September so I have just been wondering if I was passed over from the review.

Anyone else switch from MSTP to MD? I'm wondering if any such applicants have received a pre-interview rejection letter...

I know this is probably posted somewhere else in this thread, but could someone quickly elaborate on the grading scheme?

Thank you in advance!

The first (and I'm pretty sure second) year is pass/fail. There was a lot of resistance by the professors to making this change but apparently they came around. Like every other medical school, the 3rd and 4th year rotations are fully graded.

The first (and I'm pretty sure second) year is pass/fail. There was a lot of resistance by the professors to making this change but apparently they came around. Like every other medical school, the 3rd and 4th year rotations are fully graded.

Actually, 2nd year is honors/pass/fail (please feel free to fact-check me, my visit was awhile ago). Though I believe it's already been mentioned in this thread (and current students have commented on it).

Actually, 2nd year is honors/pass/fail (please feel free to fact-check me, my visit was awhile ago). Though I believe it's already been mentioned in this thread (and current students have commented on it).
I believe you are correct, the first year is pass/fail and second year is honors/pass/fail. Students have apparently brought up the possibility of moving second year to pass/fail also, and the school is considering it but hasn't changed anything yet.

Close... second year is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail (as is 3rd year). While I wasn't a fan of it to start with and rarely am around exams, it's quite the motivation to learn stuff for the boards. If second year was P/F I can promise you I wouldn't know anything. I swear I made it through first year without actually retaining any information at all...

Anyone know what proportion of interview slots are left to be given out?

Close... second year is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail (as is 3rd year). While I wasn't a fan of it to start with and rarely am around exams, it's quite the motivation to learn stuff for the boards. If second year was P/F I can promise you I wouldn't know anything. I swear I made it through first year without actually retaining any information at all...

...sigh :(

anyone else interviewing here this friday? I'm from Dallas and dreading the weather. Does anyone know what the interview day is like, outdoor tours? etc

anyone else interviewing here this friday? I'm from Dallas and dreading the weather. Does anyone know what the interview day is like, outdoor tours? etc

The weather's really not that bad right now, and I'm from Louisiana so I have a lower tolerance than most. But the entire tour can be done inside, so unless you have a 4th year who is like immune to cold giving the tour, you shouldn't have to go outside at all while you're here. Even the walk from the metro stop to Olin (if that's where you're staying) is like a max of 5 minutes.

interview invite! Complete in sept. excited!

I was complete in August and still haven't head anything. Should I call the office to see what the status of my application is? My stats are above average, but not amazing like the bunch in this thread who I saw received acceptances. I figured I was passed over and would be reconsidered at the end of the cycle depending on how many people they accept. Does this sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.