2012-2013 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We know the new academic requirements seem to have "changed overnight". Although not a solution for those deficient in 1-2 courses at the moment, I will explain how our hands were tied relative to informing the premed community of changes before allowed to do so in mid-June.

The accrediting body (LCME) absolutely PROHIBITS the perception/reality of recruiting students while waiting for the decision. Here's the timeline leading to the LCME meeting in mid-June wherein Phoenix received prelim accreditation.

Dec 2011 - Phoenix submits application and academic details, including proposed required courses for admission to the LCME for review.

February 2012 - LCME visits Phoenix for 3-day on-site "hearing", verifying/interviewing me and others on what we've prepared in the application.

April - MSAR updates are due, but no separate mention for Phoenix is possible because, again, we have not received prelim accreditation. Only option is to continue with the shared Tucson/Phoenix entry, which has been our reality since 2006 as the "regional campus" to Tucson. Cannot even hint to required coursework changes pending prelim accreditation.

April - May - My office and staff continues to meet premed's, talking very GENERICALLY about POSSIBLE course changes but cannot for a second leak that we will change requirements for admission. We hosted 3 PreMed Workshops and very carefully informed everyone of imminent changes to required coursework. During these months, the entire campus built a new website to launch as soon as news arrives in June.

June 13 - LCME meets and grants Phoenix prelim accreditation. We update existing site and remove all mention of previous required courses and replace with this statement, "please contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment for a list of required courses". Individual advising sessions begin with anyone who is interested in our program.

June 19-22 - I travel to national prehealth advisor meeting to share our new course requirements. Over 1,000 advisors attend meeting.

June 29 - AMCAS sends applications to med schools and we immediately respond with an email message informing applicants of new requirements.

July 2 - website is launched, new requirements are out there.

Everyday - tweet, answer SDN forum and PM, phone advising appointments to answer questions about revised required courses.

My message to all of you entering the application process this year - we are remaining flexible, to a degree, in this "transitional year" - you will have fall 2012, spring 2023, and even summer 2013, first session (typically don't allow required courses for admission to be taken in the summer prior to med school start, July 3013) to take any remaining courses. Substitutions can be granted, too, assuming the course is equivalent.

Why did we change? Prereq's have remain the same for 40+ years and were out of alignment with the realities of med school curriculum - students without Biochem foundations and Physio struggled.

These changes are for your benefit and we are certainly not the only school to change. However, I know they our timing was tough on the premed community because of the planning involved to get the courses completed. There is no single solution, but we are open, transparent and communicating as much as we can right now.

Tara

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

We know the new academic requirements seem to have "changed overnight". Although not a solution for those deficient in 1-2 courses at the moment, I will explain how our hands were tied relative to informing the premed community of changes before allowed to do so in mid-June.

The accrediting body (LCME) absolutely PROHIBITS the perception/reality of recruiting students while waiting for the decision. Here's the timeline leading to the LCME meeting in mid-June wherein Phoenix received prelim accreditation.

Dec 2011 - Phoenix submits application and academic details, including proposed required courses for admission to the LCME for review.

February 2012 - LCME visits Phoenix for 3-day on-site "hearing", verifying/interviewing me and others on what we've prepared in the application.

April - MSAR updates are due, but no separate mention for Phoenix is possible because, again, we have not received prelim accreditation. Only option is to continue with the shared Tucson/Phoenix entry, which has been our reality since 2006 as the "regional campus" to Tucson. Cannot even hint to required coursework changes pending prelim accreditation.

April - May - My office and staff continues to meet premed's, talking very GENERICALLY about POSSIBLE course changes but cannot for a second leak that we will change requirements for admission. We hosted 3 PreMed Workshops and very carefully informed everyone of imminent changes to required coursework. During these months, the entire campus built a new website to launch as soon as news arrives in June.

June 13 - LCME meets and grants Phoenix prelim accreditation. We update existing site and remove all mention of previous required courses and replace with this statement, "please contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment for a list of required courses". Individual advising sessions begin with anyone who is interested in our program.

June 19-22 - I travel to national prehealth advisor meeting to share our new course requirements. Over 1,000 advisors attend meeting.

June 29 - AMCAS sends applications to med schools and we immediately respond with an email message informing applicants of new requirements.

July 2 - website is launched, new requirements are out there.

Everyday - tweet, answer SDN forum and PM, phone advising appointments to answer questions about revised required courses.

My message to all of you entering the application process this year - we are remaining flexible, to a degree, in this "transitional year" - you will have fall 2012, spring 2023, and even summer 2013, first session (typically don't allow required courses for admission to be taken in the summer prior to med school start, July 3013) to take any remaining courses. Substitutions can be granted, too, assuming the course is equivalent.

Why did we change? Prereq's have remain the same for 40+ years and were out of alignment with the realities of med school curriculum - students without Biochem foundations and Physio struggled.

These changes are for your benefit and we are certainly not the only school to change. However, I know they our timing was tough on the premed community because of the planning involved to get the courses completed. There is no single solution, but we are open, transparent and communicating as much as we can right now.

Tara

Thanks for this Tara! I can't tell you how much sense it makes to require as a prerequisite for entrance into medical school a physiology and biochemistry course!

Hi Tara.

I took a biochem course over the summer session last year. It was 4 QUARTER credits and did not include a lab. Is it possible that it would count for the biochemistry requirement?

Also, would calculus count as the math requirement instead of stats? I took it pass/fail before I decided on medicine and did not bother re-taking it because none of the other schools I am applying to require calc, only college math.

I think I have everything else that is on the rest of the list.

Thank you
dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, 4 qtr would suffice for the Biochem requirement. We just settled on calc as a fulfillment to math course requirement. Stats or research methods would be best, but calc will work. Does sound like you're set.

Yes, 4 qtr would suffice for the Biochem requirement. We just settled on calc as a fulfillment to math course requirement. Stats or research methods would be best, but calc will work. Does sound like you're set.

You've been more than helpful Tara, but you're starting to make at least me feel guilty when I see you responding to posts at 10:40pm!

You've been more than helpful Tara, but you're starting to make at least me feel guilty when I see you responding to posts at 10:40pm!

I agree. I wasn't expecting a response until tomorrow morning at the earliest. Why are you not in bed? Don't you work in the morning? Speaking of which, I need to hit the hay myself... 7:30 at the Dr. office for another day of shadowing.

Thanks for the response. :)

dsoz

Morning Tara,

I hate to be redundant but I don't think this question has been directly asked yet.

Does a (3) credit course in Biochemistry, with no lab fulfill the biochemistry requirement? Or does one need to take a (1) credit lab as well if this is the type of course their institution offers?

Thanks a lot!

Morning Tara,

I hate to be redundant but I don't think this question has been directly asked yet.

Does a (3) credit course in Biochemistry, with no lab fulfill the biochemistry requirement? Or does one need to take a (1) credit lab as well if this is the type of course their institution offers?

Thanks a lot!

Subject: Chemistry
2 semester/8 credits or equivalent quarter hours, specifically: a) minimum is 1 semester/4 credits of general chemistry; b) 1 semester/4 credits of biochemistry. Labs recommended.

2 semester/8 credits or equivalent quarter hours, specifically: a) minimum is 1 semester/4 credits of general chemistry; b) 1 semester/4 credits of biochemistry. Labs recommended.

This size is better.

Edit: :beat:

Last edited:

Right, I guess my point of confusion was the 4 credits portion of the requirement -- if that is equivalent to a 3 credit course. But I guess the "1 semester" portion you highlighted for me is satisfied by the three credit course.

So, quick question. Might sound dumb. I was wondering if that one year of English requirement has to be fulfilled in college. My school is based on a quarter system, and I need 2 quarters for graduation, and not 3 for a whole year. I was about to sign up for a community college English class and realized that I have some AP English credit on my college transcript. Would this requirement be fulfilled based on my AP credit? Thanks a lot!

AP is accepted so long as it appears on your college transcript - 2 quarters plus AP sounds like your covered for our English requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question about the clinical letter requirement. The physician I am shadowing agreed to write one for me, but it will likely be another month before she is able to find the time to do it.

Would you recommend I submit my secondary application and my other letters of recommendation, and then submit the clinical letter separately as an update? Or will it not matter since you don't consider applications until all the required materials are in anyway?

We will hold off our review for interview until the LOR is recd; however, submit the Supp regardless so that the coursework review is complete and we can move faster once the letter arrives.

Looking like the first of next week - thinking of posting our questions on advance. Would that be helpful to everyone?

Looking like the first of next week - thinking of posting our questions on advance. Would that be helpful to everyone?

That would be very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

Here you go, everyone. Please PM the thread starter with these questions for others to see, too.

We hope to launch new system next week, after we test it a bit further to make sure all components are working properly. Be prepared to submit a photograph (color preferred), pay $85 fee (online - MC, VISA, Discover, American Express) and enter your coursework (course name, number, title, institution, completion date).

Be specific. Be honest. Be consistent. Don't spend a lot of time telling us what we already know from your AMCAS.

1. Have you previously applied to UA Phoenix Med?
If answered yes, “What have you done to strengthen your application since your last application?” (350 words)

2. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons why you have applied to UA Phoenix Med. (350 words)

3. Elaborate on what has occurred within the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine. (350 words)

4. UA Phoenix Med champions diversity as a core value central to its mission. UA Phoenix Med defines diversity as acknowledging, understanding, accepting, valuing, nurturing and celebrating differences among people. We are committed to promoting and supporting diversity and inclusion in our research, clinical, and educational missions in order to meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff and the communities we serve. We believe diversity at the UA Phoenix Med creates role models, broadens perspectives, combats negative stereotyping and optimizes our ability to provide healthcare for all. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background during your childhood (i.e. K-12 education, socio-economic, family culture/tradition) and adulthood (life and work experience) that has enhanced your character and would contribute to the diversity (broadly defined) of our campus. (350 words)

4. What do you want the Admissions Committee to make sure they know about you, particularly if you have variances in your application (grade discrepancies’, institutional/criminal actions, gaps in school/employment timeline)? (350 words)

Thank you for sharing the prompts!!!

Gotta love a school that shares its own prompts!

Hi there Tara!

I was curious if having a letter from a physician whom I was able to shadow in a clinical setting (sat in on surgeries and consults) would count as my clinical letter? Thank you in advance!

Hey Tara--for the last question is it ok to talk about how one struggled with grades early on and discovered a new way of learning that helped in succeeding academically after struggling initially? Or is that out of scope with the question?

Absolutely - this is your only opp to explain how you've overcome academic challenges. If you don't tell us, we will assume the worst.

Everyone: discussing "blemishes" is not going to keep you out of medical school. Ignoring them is more damaging.

Absolutely - this is your only opp to explain how you've overcome academic challenges. If you don't tell us, we will assume the worst.

Everyone: discussing "blemishes" is not going to keep you out of medical school. Ignoring them is more damaging.

Would you suggest we explain why we took one prerequisite (Physics) at a community college even if our Physical Sciences section on the MCAT is a 10+?

It's worth explaining if you stepped away from univ during a regular semester just to take physics - we are curious when this happens. Otherwise, no explanation is necessary re: CC courses. Students take CC courses for lots of good reasons and we value our CC partners out there.

As an aside, Physics is no longer a required course.

Hi Tara,

I was wondering if the last question would be appropriate to address our ties to Phoenix as in family who live in the area, one of whom attended UA-phoenix med in the past. I'm asking because I am an OOS applicant but would love to go to UA-phoenix med after hearing/reading about it.

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Jdolly - this seems appropriate for the "specific/unique" reason why you are applying to UA Phoenix Med.

So, how are the secondaries coming for everyone..?

I've got 2 of them pretty much done but these last two are giving me trouble. Its a good trouble though. :thumbup:

Thank you for posting these Tara, it has been great to get a head start.

4. What do you want the Admissions Committee to make sure they know about you, particularly if you have variances in your application (grade discrepancies’, institutional/criminal actions, gaps in school/employment timeline)? (350 words)

Glad Phoenix added this clause since it supports the transparency claim better than last year. . . . last year this prompt was only the first part which was a very obscure prompt. I found out four days after submitting secondary that it was intentionally vague, a test that admissions "hoped" applicants would get . . . I was told that that it meant "explain your red flags" . . . I was very frustrated at the time, so vowed I would let the 2013 applicants know this secret. My services are no longer necessary!!

BTW, make sure you take this opportunity. You don't get a chance in MMI to conversate about your application. Be proud of your mistakes and own the lessons you have gained from them. Don't be ashamed, red flags literally make you a more colorful applicant. ;)

Good Luck everyone!!!

Hey Tara,

I'm a History major and graduated in 2010. I saw the new coursework requirements after submitting my primary, but am thankful for flexibility on admissions part :). I have plenty of coursework that could serve as a substitute for the new social science requirements, but I don't have an actual statistics course on my transcript. I took College Algebra, Trig, Calculus, Physics w/ labs, and the Genetics course I took had some minor statistics. Would any of these serve as viable substitutes? Thanks!

Nevermind, I was searching through some of the previous posts and overlooked one that said calc will work as a substitute for stats. Thanks!

Hi Tara, would organic chemistry be able to replace biochemistry?

Thanks!

Bigbluebear - Sorry, O-Chem does not satisfy the Biochem requirement. Are you having difficulty scheduling Biochem? We are working with our prehealth advisors to build an "equivalency" chart to make identifying suitable courses easier for you all. Hopefully this will help guide the selection of courses a bit more for the premed community.

Hi Tara,

I sent you a PM last Saturday. Can you please check when you have a chance and let me know? Many thanks.

can't wait to submit this secondary, would love to get a chance to interview here!

Has anybody received the secondary invite email?

I know you all are tired of hearing it because I am tired of saying it, but we are still "testing" the new system to ensure our payment module is correct - we are looking strong to release next week, likely mid-week.

Hang in there with us - we don't want to pull a Southwest Airlines and charge you 100x the fee (if you have followed that story!)

Tara

Hang in there with us - we don't want to pull a Southwest Airlines and charge you 100x the fee (if you have followed that story!)

They charged me 18 times for one of my flights, but they gave me an $150 voucher for my troubles. I'm hoping the same thing happens when I finally get the chance to apply to your school. Voucher = acceptance letter?

I know you all are tired of hearing it because I am tired of saying it, but we are still "testing" the new system to ensure our payment module is correct - we are looking strong to release next week, likely mid-week.

Tara

Thanks Tara. We can wait a little longer. ;)

They charged me 18 times for one of my flights, but they gave me an $150 voucher for my troubles. I'm hoping the same thing happens when I finally get the chance to apply to your school. Voucher = acceptance letter?

#creativethinker

Status
Not open for further replies.