2013-2014 Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a Scholarship email too :), Pretty much going to Case now.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got notification of a merit scholarship!!!! :) :) My decision is pretty much made now, can't wait to be part of the CWRU family!

Me too!! So stoked I can't even believe it! I guess I'll be seeing you this July!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No scholarship for me. Pretty much seals my decision. Congratulations everyone! I'll be jealous of you when I'm studying for tests every month!

Got one too! Now my decision has become so much harder.....

Reactions: 4 users
Got the "not selected for scholarship" email just now. Oh well... Congrats to everyone that received a merit scholarship!

Me too! I'm definitely matriculating in July! :D :D :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hey so we should about the alternative list if we're in hold category by May 1st. Anyone know any more details about waitlist/ chances of getting off it, etc?

Has anyone withdrawn from CCLCM? April 15 is coming up quick...

Hey I just had a question regarding COA: Why does Case estimate non-tuition expenses to be so high? Are all the costs that Case lists on its website necessary? And is it possible to live in Cleveland comfortably for under 20k a year? I just having trouble estimating the costs and was wondering how everyone else is looking at it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just had a question regarding COA: Why does Case estimate non-tuition expenses to be so high? Are all the costs that Case lists on its website necessary? And is it possible to live in Cleveland comfortably for under 20k a year? I just having trouble estimating the costs and was wondering how everyone else is looking at it. Thanks!

The "estimated" cost of living that the school provides was significantly more than I required during my first 3 years at CWRU.

For example, here's a typical month for me:
Rent + Utilities + Internet: $700 (Decent studio near school, or living in a nice house with others)
Phone: $30
Car Insurance: $50
Gas:$100
Food: $300
Other expenses / Fun: $300
Total ~ 1,500 per month

Year total ~ 18,000
Don't forget about 2-3% loan origination fees that are taken right off the top.

If you're single, I think you can absolutely live comfortably under 20k a year. Some of the extra costs during the first few years are:
-Equipment 1st year (stethoscope, computer, other worthless doctoring gear)
-A few Required 1st year books: Robbins, anatomy atlas, physiology book
-Step 1 Second year + review course and book ~ $750

4th year is an entirely different beast, and most people I know with loans took out the full amount. 4th year consists of:

-Application fees for residencies: As low as $300 for those applying to only a few programs, to $3,000+ for those applying to 80ish programs for uber competitive specialties.
-Step 2 CS + QBank: $700
-Step 2 CK: $1,600
-Travel costs for residency interviews, step 2 ck travel, buying a suit, hotel rooms, etc: ~ $1,000-$5,000++, again depending on how many interviews.
-Relocation costs, finding a new place to live for residency, etc.

TLDR:
18k was enough for me as a single male to live somewhat comfortably in Cleveland for the first three years.
Plan on taking out full loans during 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user
Historically, when can applicants to CCLCM who were put on the high hold list expect to hear back after the Apr. 15th date?

Historically, when can applicants to CCLCM who were put on the high hold list expect to hear back after the Apr. 15th date?

Last year, the first of two posts related to high wait list candidates being accepted to CCLCM was on April 16th. Then there was another in late late April I think. It's encouraging that we could potentially hear back soon! Good luck to you (and everyone else!).

The "estimated" cost of living that the school provides was significantly more than I required during my first 3 years at CWRU.

For example, here's a typical month for me:
Rent + Utilities + Internet: $700 (Decent studio near school, or living in a nice house with others)
Phone: $30
Car Insurance: $50
Gas:$100
Food: $300
Other expenses / Fun: $300
Total ~ 1,500 per month

Year total ~ 18,000
Don't forget about 2-3% loan origination fees that are taken right off the top.

If you're single, I think you can absolutely live comfortably under 20k a year. Some of the extra costs during the first few years are:
-Equipment 1st year (stethoscope, computer, other worthless doctoring gear)
-A few Required 1st year books: Robbins, anatomy atlas, physiology book
-Step 1 Second year + review course and book ~ $750

4th year is an entirely different beast, and most people I know with loans took out the full amount. 4th year consists of:

-Application fees for residencies: As low as $300 for those applying to only a few programs, to $3,000+ for those applying to 80ish programs for uber competitive specialties.
-Step 2 CS + QBank: $700
-Step 2 CK: $1,600
-Travel costs for residency interviews, step 2 ck travel, buying a suit, hotel rooms, etc: ~ $1,000-$5,000++, again depending on how many interviews.
-Relocation costs, finding a new place to live for residency, etc.

TLDR:
18k was enough for me as a single male to live somewhat comfortably in Cleveland for the first three years.
Plan on taking out full loans during 4th year.

Wow, what a thorough answer, this exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much, this is so helpful!

Hi all- just wanted to share the news- I received a call from dean Franco last week saying I was accepted off the high hold list. Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious.... Has anyone received fin aid info yet?

Just curious.... Has anyone received fin aid info yet?

Not yet. It's getting a little close to their May 1st acceptance deadline.... I'd at least like to know what I'm getting into before selecting.

Financial aid info just received. Small need-based scholarship + $55K/yr in loans for me :cool:

I withdrew from university track. It's a great school! Good luck to everyone on the wait list.

Withdrew from my last waitlist, officially 100% going to Case. See you guys in July!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Another one of you posted this a little while back:
In regards to CoA, it seems to me that Case has a reputation of being ridiculously overpriced. They're website puts the CoA around 80k, which is at the high end of the private schools I've seen (70k - 80k with 74k seeming most common). It really seems that Case inflates their CoA though.

First of all they allocate 10k to housing and utilities. From the numbers I've seen here, it would be crazy to pay more than 7k per year, maybe even 5k if you are living smart and with roommates.

There's also 2.7k for transportation. Are bikes feasible in Cleveland from Shaker Heights/common student housing? and does this change during winter? If so, I couldn't see myself spending more than 1k for transportation. My car also gets crap gas milage so I avoid driving it. I know this also includes airline tickets to go home. Maybe the Cali folk skew this a bit.

Are there ways for students to lower the cost of books. Is it common for students to rent, share, etc? Given Case's curriculum I expect students need a fair amount of books.

I guess what I'm saying is that to me, Case's CoA actually seems to fall along the lines of other private schools (75kish?). Obviously it doesn't compare to public schools. I know a couple other schools seem to inflate their CoA as well though, and I don't know how much Case is increasing their tuition compared to them. Just wondered if I'm thinking correctly here. I guess these are all questions to be asked at second look.
And I responded with:
I would say your general assessment is correct: the COA does seem to be a little inflated. Remember, though, that you are allowed to take out federal loans only up to the COA as determined by the school/financial aid office. Thus, it makes sense to me that the school/financial aid office "inflates" these numbers to allow for some wiggle room for those who are in certain circumstances (i.e. the travel expenses for the west coasters you mentioned). I think my total "aid" (loans/need-based/etc) ended up being in the low 70k's, and I had ~2k left over at the end of the first semester, which would put me <70k if I hadn't taken that out.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the cost of living in Cleveland is extremely cheap (if you want it to be). I have 4 roommates and our rent is <$300/person. However, some people want to live alone and live in a "nicer" place. The 10k allotted to housing allows them to do this. Basically, there may be some sticker shock when first seeing the COA, but remember it is highly, highly variable and can be up to 10k less than that (in my case) if you're willing to make some sacrifices here and there.

In terms of transportation, tons of my classmates bike to class. That definitely changes in the Winter. I haven't biked to class since early November (not a fan of biking down a hill in the cold, and biking up a hill all bundled up), but instead I make a 15-20 min walk to class. Biking from Shaker may be on the longer side, but I guess it's feasible if that's something your willing to do (Cleveland Heights is closer, thus allows you to potentially walk if you can't bike, rather than having to drive if you can't bike).

Finally, books. Case provides online access to a majority of the textbooks needed. Even if there is a reading from a book where there is no online access, you can just read an analogous chapter from a book that is available online (at least thats what I do). I started out with the plan to not buy any books and just use the online ones, but I'm one of those folks who would prefer a hardcopy. So, I bought a couple of books that we would use frequently, but stuck with the online books for the ones less frequently used--an effective compromise. Also, if you come here, you will be flooded with emails/facebook posts from M3s/M4s trying to get rid of their books and they are almost always cheaper than what you could find elsewhere.

Hope this helps clear up your COA questions!

Hope this helps! (I know it mirrors a lot of what smurf said, just thought I'd throw in my perspective)

So do people use Anki much at Case? Do people share decks?

Just got placed on the alternate list! Fingers crossed, this is my top choice school.

Withdrew my acceptance to this great school today; good luck to all on the wait list.

Has anyone who was/is on the "high hold list" at CCLCM heard anything post April 15th? I'm wondering what the waitlist movement was like, if any at all...

Got the alternate list email today and withdrawing. Good luck to everyone on the wait list!

Received Alt List email; written in typical classy Case style. Love Case!

Question- If you put yourself on the wait list, are you required to go there if you get in? Or can you still say yes/no?

For those who were placed on the High Hold List at CCLCM and havent' year heard back after Apr 15th, are they done accepting students off that list?

For those who were placed on the High Hold List at CCLCM and havent' year heard back after Apr 15th, are they done accepting students off that list?
Not yet -- I just got the call that I've been accepted!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations!!!! :)

Did you by any chance send in a LOI? I'm assuming you were in the "high hold list"?

Thank you! Yes, I was on the High Hold list but I did not sent a letter of intent (not sure if LOI = intent or interest). I "only" sent in an update letter after my interview, in which I highlighted recent updates and the various ways the CCLCM impressed me.

Thank you! Yes, I was on the High Hold list but I did not sent a letter of intent (not sure if LOI = intent or interest). I "only" sent in an update letter after my interview, in which I highlighted recent updates and the various ways the CCLCM impressed me.

SWEET!!! I am also on the "high hold" list and sent in an update and a letter of Interest, haha! Hopefully, I too would join you at CCLCM, wish me luck (assuming that you're matriculating :D)

Posting to give waitlisted applicants some hope: I declined my offer of acceptance to University Track today. I really loved and respected Case, and I'd definitely encourage future applicants to pursue this school, but I can't justify turning down my less expensive option.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and to the people who could have been my classmates!

Reactions: 1 users
Posting to give waitlisted applicants some hope: I declined my offer of acceptance to University Track today. I really loved and respected Case, and I'd definitely encourage future applicants to pursue this school, but I can't justify turning down my less expensive option.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and to the people who could have been my classmates!
Good Luck to you also. What is your less expensive option?

Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, how much time were you given to consider the offer? Or are you required to tell the dean right then and there on the phone if you accept or not?

Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, how much time were you given to consider the offer? Or are you required to tell the dean right then and there on the phone if you accept or not?

She asked me how long I needed to decide, so I gave her a reasonable deadline. At the time, I only had 2 acceptances (one to a school I wasn't very happy about because I was an OOS student and only received loans), but my decision just got a lot harder today. Very thankful for the acceptance though! I just have to sit down and think about my priorities.

Does anyone know how many were admitted into university track from waitlist last year?
Just trying to see my chances. Thanks!

Does anyone know how many were admitted into university track from waitlist last year?
Just trying to see my chances. Thanks!
I believe 30 people got accepted off the alternate list.

Does anyone know approximately when CCLCM sends out all its notices of acceptance from the high hold list? I've sent application updates and indicated my interest in their school but have not received any status change yet.

Just got my fin aid award. Copious amounts of debt is officially a reality. :greedy::hungover:

Got accepted from the cclcm high hold list a little over a week ago, but decided the program wasn't for me. I just declined, so someone else will get my spot.

I also withdrew my acceptance from the university track.

Good luck to those who are waiting.

@vc7777 matching bowties would have been cool but it wasn't to be :)

Got accepted from the cclcm high hold list a little over a week ago, but decided the program wasn't for me. I just declined, so someone else will get my spot.

I also withdrew my acceptance from the university track.

Good luck to those who are waiting.

@vc7777 matching bowties would have been cool but it wasn't to be :)
Aw, congrats. It's been a fun ride. Fo sho.