You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Saint Louis
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
anonymoususer343434
Full Member
Honestly am right behind you on April 15 when we have to narrow if it's still not herewithdrew my a. got sick of waiting for financial aid information, hope it goes to one of yall!
There is no high priority waitlist. And no ranking system as far as I know.Alt list today, interviewed 2/23.
Does anyone recall if this is one of the schools with a high priority WL too? Trying to temper my expectations haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Per MSAR for slu: The alternate list is a ranked list. The ranking of this list is kept confidential by the Committee on Admissions. Applicants on the alternate list may be offered an acceptance at any time.There is no high priority waitlist. And no ranking system as far
Alt list today, interviewed 2/23.
Does anyone recall if this is one of the schools with a high priority WL too? Trying to temper my expectations haha
recently withdrew my A, wishing y'all the best of luck!
Thanks for the correction!!Per MSAR for slu: The alternate list is a ranked list. The ranking of this list is kept confidential by the Committee on Admissions. Applicants on the alternate list may be offered an acceptance at any time.
hello, are there any current SLU students willing to share some of their opinions about SLU ? thank you
For those accepted and waiting on fin aid... I just checked the student tab on my SLU portal and there are now like 4 additional requirements posted on the "Financial Aid Requirements" section. I check the portal regularly, so I know these just barely got added. It looks like they are validation documents for my FAFSA. But I have no idea how SLU wants me to turn in these additional transcripts/verification forms. Some of them even have broken links that go to nowhere. Anybody else experiencing this? I'm assuming they probably need these before releasing fin aid info? Ughh... I'm sick of not receiving any communication from SLU.
weird, mine still has fafsa only.. hopefully this is a sign that fin aid will be coming out soon tho. im sure they'll send an email and update the fb page when it doesI just checked the student tab on my SLU portal and there are now like 4 additional requirements posted on the "Financial Aid Requirements" section.
chemmajor123
Full Member
Mine doesn’t have anything either. They ask for validation for the need based scholarships. So basically we are .... not being considered for need based scholarships.weird, mine still has fafsa only.. hopefully this is a sign that fin aid will be coming out soon tho. im sure they'll send an email and update the fb page when it does
my efc is 0 tho lmaoMine doesn’t have anything either. They ask for validation for the need based scholarships. So basically we are .... not being considered for need based scholarships.
Is that based on fafsa? everyone who's applying to grad school automatically has an efc of 0my efc is 0 tho lmao
yeah it is. welp guess im screwed thenIs that based on fafsa? everyone who's applying to grad school automatically has an efc of 0
yea same. I don't think I'm being considered for any need aid either since I don't see anything about a validation formyeah it is. welp guess im screwed then
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a more general question, but how big an impact do interviews have on your admissions decision? I always thought that IIs were based off your primary/secondary/LORs and then admissions decision was based on interviews. But one MD I work with told me that the interviews "don't matter that much...and mostly make the schools feel better that you're not a pyschopath" but he could be totally wrong. Also, my SLU interview was with a pretty high ranking admin and he told me "I hope you keep us high up on your list and I hope we see you in the fall" and then I got waitlisted. I know it's up to a whole committee so he could've thought that and then got outvoted....I just feel so mindf***ed by this process and don't know what to think anymore.
I've heard some AdComs on here use a staircase analogy. When offered an II, you're somewhere along that staircase based on your stats, EC's, LORs, secondaries, etc. Then the interview can move you up or down on that staircase. If you were already at the top, a simply decent interview might get you an immediate A. If lower down, you might need a stronger interview to get the immediate A while a so-so but not stellar interview might get you on the WL. And the committee takes all of your package into account in determining where you stand. Just what I've read and hopefully I adequately paraphrased. Best of luck!
The Dean himself told us they don't matter that much and are more for the interviewers to see the school (I interviewed in person). That's why they also accept some reapplicants without another interview; they don't look too much into it.This is a more general question, but how big an impact do interviews have on your admissions decision? I always thought that IIs were based off your primary/secondary/LORs and then admissions decision was based on interviews. But one MD I work with told me that the interviews "don't matter that much...and mostly make the schools feel better that you're not a pyschopath" but he could be totally wrong. Also, my SLU interview was with a pretty high ranking admin and he told me "I hope you keep us high up on your list and I hope we see you in the fall" and then I got waitlisted. I know it's up to a whole committee so he could've thought that and then got outvoted....I just feel so mindf***ed by this process and don't know what to think anymore.
anonymoususer343434
Full Member
Not sure if SDN worth, but kinda pissed. SLU reached out ab visiting campus over a month ago, I gave this weekend as a preference, but wasn't emailed until yesterday about it, and I live 6 hours away, so did not plan to spend the weekend there, and I asked to do next weekend because of late notice so wouldn't be able to make it and they said no. So, guess I won't be able to visit before deciding who I owe debt two for their next 10+ years. Doesn't reflect well on them...
Was this email in outlook? Don't think I received anything like it.Not sure if SDN worth, but kinda pissed. SLU reached out ab visiting campus over a month ago, I gave this weekend as a preference, but wasn't emailed until yesterday about it, and I live 6 hours away, so did not plan to spend the weekend there, and I asked to do next weekend because of late notice so wouldn't be able to make it and they said no. So, guess I won't be able to visit before deciding who I owe debt two for their next 10+ years. Doesn't reflect well on them...
Also I concur. Bad look for slu
anonymoususer343434
Full Member
Was this email in outlook? Don't think I received anything like it.
Also I concur. Bad look for slu
It was to my personal email associated with my AMCAS account. I had emailed in November after getting accepted to ask if they offered small/1-on-1 tours, and they said no then but then emailed me asking for times March 12 bc they were trying to have M3/4's on the student admissions committee give very casual tours of the campus, and I gave them my availabilities/situation and didn't get a reply until Wednesday night from a student. I guess it puts me in the same position as if they never offered it, but just irritated lol.I thought they weren't allowing anybody to tour or enter the buildings due to COVID-19?
edit: I don't think it was a my situation-specific thing bc they mentioned "adding me to the list for students to reach out from" so if you're close enough to visit, I would reach out and ask em, can't hurt. I emailed back and asked if I could just get a different student who could do this weekend so we'll see
Last edited:
i love when schools are a month late on financial aid information for one of the biggest decisions of our entire lives
for accepted students, mySLU seems to be updated in the financial section, but it only shows CoA. does this show for everyone, or do people who got aid have a lower CoA listed? I'm not sure if this is a generic CoA given to every students or is specifically tailored.
The COA is the same for everyone. When your financial aid is ready you'll see an award letter usually.for accepted students, mySLU seems to be updated in the financial section, but it only shows CoA. does this show for everyone, or do people who got aid have a lower CoA listed? I'm not sure if this is a generic CoA given to every students or is specifically tailored.
Has anyone started looking for housing and which areas of STL to live in? Prices seem low if you're willing to live with many housemates but a single still carries a hefty price tag
geckogirl99
Full Member
I currently live in Central West End. A lot of SLU med students live in my building (Del Coronado). There are lots of housing options (pretty affordable!) in Central West End, Tower Grove, and downtown near SLU. They're all safe too of courseHas anyone started looking for housing and which areas of STL to live in? Prices seem low if you're willing to live with many housemates but a single still carries a hefty price tag
Just withdrew my A, good luck to you folks !!
OrthopedicNeurosurgeon99
Full Member
Thanks for the insight I'll definitely check those out! Do you happen to know of any other common apartments that a lot of SLU/WashU med students live in? I want to make a huge list to compare places, thanks again!I currently live in Central West End. A lot of SLU med students live in my building (Del Coronado). There are lots of housing options (pretty affordable!) in Central West End, Tower Grove, and downtown near SLU. They're all safe too of course
In case anyone is waiting for financial aid, I saw that my award is now available on the portal
Are their scholarships guaranteed for all 4 years? Got a $20,000 one, which is better than nothing but at least lowers their tuition to state school levels lol
EDIT: ok their website says "up to 4 years" and they automatically renew, but still a bit confused bc does that mean it could be less than 4 for some reason
EDIT: ok their website says "up to 4 years" and they automatically renew, but still a bit confused bc does that mean it could be less than 4 for some reason
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OrthopedicNeurosurgeon99
Full Member
+1In case anyone is waiting for financial aid, I saw that my award is now available on the portal
OrthopedicNeurosurgeon99
Full Member
also wondering thisAre their scholarships guaranteed for all 4 years? Got a $20,000 one, which is better than nothing but at least lowers their tuition to state school levels lol
anonymoususer343434
Full Member
Same, but no scholarship, just loans 🙂 anyone know if they wager? Have significant scholarships elsewhere
I also see my award too. Didn't even have to go through the additional verification steps yet. Finally!!In case anyone is waiting for financial aid, I saw that my award is now available on the portal
dancingdoc51
Full Member
Does anyone know if all financial aid awards have been given out?
glittering
New Member
Recently emailed about this, and they said "Awards are need-based, and made on a first-come, first-serve basis up to the budget threshold. Currently all scholarships have been awarded." I'm assuming if applicants decide to attend other schools, more awards will become availableDoes anyone know if all financial aid awards have been given out?
Are you currently on the alternate list? I don’t think it would hurt at all.I'm going to be in St Louis for unrelated reasons in May. I'm OOS, should I email admissions and ask if there is a tour or something available? Even if there isn't would it help show interest that I'll be in the city?
friend (current m2) said their scholarship wasn't renewed, can any current students speak to that?
Same. I just wish they'd tell us our rank or at least what percent we're in.Got the email notifying that my rank on the alternate list has been assigned. I really like SLU, try to be patient and hopeful.
ReallyNicepremed
Full Member
Withdrew my A here. Hopefully that goes to one of you!!
just withdrew! best of luck to all the WLers!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably starting May 3 because April 30 is the PTE deadline (and May 1 and 2 are weekends).Anyone have an idea when we'll see WL movement? (i.e. if any interviewers or admissions staff said anything)
Sorry if this has been asked already but does SLU use NBME or in house exams for preclinicals? I think slu also does a shortened curriculum as well (1.5 months?) thank you friends
anonymoususer343434
Full Member
Can't say if its NBME, but talked to a student today and he said its so step-1 focused, some students don't even listen to lectures and just use third party resources to learn the systems etc bc its so similar. He did qualify it with those students being the rare exception, but think it speaks to that.Sorry if this has been asked already but does SLU use NBME or in house exams for preclinicals? I think slu also does a shortened curriculum as well (1.5 months?) thank you friends
When you receive your acceptance email from SLU, there's a PDF attachment that says Acceptance Deadlines 2021. The CTE date is July 4 (3 weeks before orientation) meaning if you do not select Commit To Enroll SLU by July 4th, you will have your acceptance rescinded. April 30th is the deadline to hold 1 acceptance which means you have to let go of all other acceptances except for one but you may stay on waitlists. However, you do not have to CTE to SLU on April 30th, you just have to select SLU for Plan to Enroll. You must withdraw your waitlists though if you decide to CTE to SLU.anyone know the CTE deadline?
Please correct me if this is incorrect but this has been my understanding.